DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

6 hours ago, Chongwho said:

Hi Team,

I am in the same boat as many others where I think I have stuffed up the Emby upgrade. Everything has been running smoothly for 5 years without much hands on from me.

I hadn't updated to DSM 7 as yet, however just tried to manually upgrade to 4.6.7 which has reset my Emby Server.

I am not overly computer literate and a number of the steps on the instructions in the top post seem very daunting to me. I see that others have assisted with the upgrade via remoting in. If there was any chance someone could assist me with this I would be super appreciative. Otherwise I can try my best to follow the steps and just see how I go... I guess I always have backups if I stuff it up (although I'm not even sure how to restore a backup... do I need to downgrade back to the previous version I had?)

Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit confused.  Right now are you still on DSM 6 or 7?  If still on 6 do not install DSM 7 until you get Emby running again first!
Regardless, before you do something drastic check your PMs as I'm sending you a PM so I can remote in and give you hand fixing your issue up.

Carlo

@Chongwho is all set now.  I did a remote support session with him last night and got everything working again.

He's going to let this run a few days and then we may copy his docker setup and Emby and do the DSM 7 upgrade and migration. But for now we'll see how things go over the next few days while he thinks about the DSM 7 upgrade.

• Like 2

Chongwho

@cayars You are the best. Thank you so much for helping me get things back up and running. Really amazing support. I will see how things go using the latest DSM6 version for a while and then maybe take the plunge to DSM 7 and the upgrade. Cheers.

• Like 1

NEatonJr
On 1/3/2022 at 6:00 AM, Nuitarius said:

I will share my solution based on the original post as my way into this issue is not 100% comparable.

Firstly, how I got here:
I updated DSM from 6.2 to 7.0.1 without thinking about Emby server at all.
After update, the DSM notified me of Emby server not compatible with current DSM and therfore not running.
I pressed the DSM link and was guided to Package Center where I could press "Repair". I did so.

Now my Emby server was running on 4.6.4 but was not working how I left it. It was as if it was a clean install.
After this I startet searching for others with similar issues and ended up in here.

I used the points in OP that made sense to me and fixed the issue:

1. Downloaded Emby 4.6.7 for DSM 7 (newest for ARMv7 that I need for my DS416j NAS)
2. Stopped current version 4.6.4 via Package Center
3. Did a manual install of new version 4.6.7
4. Removed emby_pkg via Control Panel -> User % Group
5. I gave my admin user read/write access to /VolumeX/Emby folder
6. I verified that a lot of data was still present here. E.g. I knew I had 3 users, so in /Emby/Config/Users I could see 3 folders with xml files. This was proof for me that the old settings were still present

Now I copied the data with the provided CLI commands:
1. Opened Control Panel -> Terminal & SNMP -> Enable SSH service (port 22)
2. Downloaded and installed PuTTY
3. Startet SSH session on my NAS IP
4. Logged in with admin credentials
5. cp -rv /volume3/Emby/* /volume3/@appdata/EmbyServer
6. chown -R emby:emby /volume3/@appdata/EmbyServer

From Control Panel go to Shared Folder and edit each share that is used by Emby Server.  Click the share, then EDIT, go to permission tab, select System internal user from drop down,
grant emby user read/write access.

start Emby

I verified on PC app, LG app and NVidia Shield app. All works, and my license is still active.

Thank you for a great product

PS: Will I have to do this everytime I upgrade my NAS?

This was a big help for me this week. In my case, I am replacing a DS216play running DSM 6.x with a DS220+ running DSM 7.x. The DS216play isn't supported by the Synology Migration Assistant and my new system is 6TB vs. 4TB (i.e., new one not twice the size of old one) so I have had to piecemeal migrate, using Hyperbackup to backup and restore a few shared drives at a time. I also had to manually install apps like Emby. I thought that running the config backup plugin on old and then running it to restore config on the new Emby instance would cover everything but then I was getting all kinds of odd behavior such as shared folders not showing up under libraries. The credential changes described here got me up and running. 

dougw03

Thanks for this guide - everything worked flawlessly for me. It's great to now be able to get new versions of Emby from the Synology Package Center. One thing I'm a bit confused on is why do we have to manually set permissions? When I download my other apps from the Syno Package Center (e.g. Radarr, Sonarr, SABNZBD) they all create users with the appropriate permissions automatically. I luckily found this guide before I spent too much time trying to figure out why things weren't working, but this seems like an unnecessary step.  

I'm finally taking the plunge to update Emby / DSM 7 on my NAS.

I'm at the step where: "enable ADMIN account if needed", I think I know the answer, but before I proceed I just wanted to confirm . . .

• My ADMIN user is disabled on my NAS for security reasons
  • I have a separate ADMIN account, which is enabled.

So I'm assuming I can skip this step - Right?

Thank you

12 minutes ago, JulesC said:

I'm finally taking the plunge to update Emby / DSM 7 on my NAS.

I'm at the step where: "enable ADMIN account if needed", I think I know the answer, but before I proceed I just wanted to confirm . . .

• My ADMIN user is disabled on my NAS for security reasons
  • I have a separate ADMIN account, which is enabled.

So I'm assuming I can skip this step - Right?

Thank you

I just read ahead to the bottom of your Notes . . .

You can now disable the default admin account as well as SSH.

Edited by JulesC

FrostByte

You can just use your other admin account if you want.  The account just needs permissions to move files when using Putty/terminal/WinSCP, etc which a normal user won't be able to do

• Like 1

OK, I have gone through the upgrade steps (video, documentation) and I thought I did everything as expected, however, when I opened Emby I didn't see any of my users listed.

Here is what I see on the screen: emby, Manual Login, Forgot Password

When I try to use the Manual Login, it doesn't recognize the user credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Julio

23 hours ago, dougw03 said:

When I download my other apps from the Syno Package Center (e.g. Radarr, Sonarr, SABNZBD) they all create users with the appropriate permissions automatically. I luckily found this guide before I spent too much time trying to figure out why things weren't working, but this seems like an unnecessary step.  

It all depends on where the apps need to read/write data.  If you only write data to your own folders or areas where it has permission there is nothing to do. If you need to access locations outside this area you need permissions from the OS to do so. Emby uses the recommended method of creating a special account called "Emby" that's a system internal account (you can't login with it for example or change it's password). This allows the admin to grant/revoke permissions for the user running the software. The internal account distinction makes it clear it's not a normal user but a system user used for running something specific. It's just basic security practices that Synology finally embraced in DSM 7.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JulesC said:

OK, I have gone through the upgrade steps (video, documentation) and I thought I did everything as expected, however, when I opened Emby I didn't see any of my users listed.

Here is what I see on the screen: emby, Manual Login, Forgot Password

When I try to use the Manual Login, it doesn't recognize the user credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Julio

Before you do anything else can we do a remote support session to let me give your setup a quick look and help you fix it?
Send me a PM by hovering over my avatar and use the message link.

We can do this at your earliest convenience or schedule a remote session if that would be better.

Carlo

19 minutes ago, cayars said:

Before you do anything else can we do a remote support session to let me give your setup a quick look and help you fix it?
Send me a PM by hovering over my avatar and use the message link.

We can do this at your earliest convenience or schedule a remote session if that would be better.

Carlo

Thank you!!! I just sent you a PM

39 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yep got it and responded with directions so we can do this.

Here is the PM I received: "Within a 10 minute window.  So send me the ID info and I'll connect as soon as I can which should be within 5 to 10 minutes."

Sorry for the naive question, but what ID info are you looking for?

It's been 30 minutes and haven't heard back. Are you still able to help me now or do you need to schedule a time?

Thank you so much for your willingness to help solve this.

Edited by JulesC

2 hours ago, JulesC said:

Here is the PM I received: "Within a 10 minute window.  So send me the ID info and I'll connect as soon as I can which should be within 5 to 10 minutes."

Sorry for the naive question, but what ID info are you looking for?

It's been 30 minutes and haven't heard back. Are you still able to help me now or do you need to schedule a time?

Thank you so much for your willingness to help solve this.

@cayarsthank you so very much for helping me by logging in remotely to help resolve the issues I was encountering and for resetting the backup plug-in location. I could have never resolved this on my own. You went above and beyond, spending quality time troubleshooting and resolving the issues. I’m up and running again with DSM 7, thanks to the quality support you provided. THANK YOU!!!

Best Regards,

Julio

• Like 2

Just did the upgrade from dsm 6 to 7 and everything is working well.

I downloaded the emby server package from the dsm store but that one is version 4.6.4.0. Do I need to manually upgrade it to 4.6.7.0?

2 hours ago, Joe001 said:

Just did the upgrade from dsm 6 to 7 and everything is working well.

I downloaded the emby server package from the dsm store but that one is version 4.6.4.0. Do I need to manually upgrade it to 4.6.7.0?

HI, it's running a little behind. Please see my comments here: 

There should be no issues at all flipping back and forth between the Synology Package Catalog and downloading from our site.

The download will always be available on our website before it would show up in the catalog.

I manually copied the emby folders from my DSM 6 setup as I was going to install fresh on DSM 7 on a new NAS.

I've now installed DSM 7 on my new NAS (DS920+) but I can't see the folders where I can put the previous folders.  Under DSM 6 the Emby install folder showed in my shared folders list so I naively thought it would be just a case of copying the folders back to restore my setup.  I think they are hiddedn in DSM 7 but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, zom414 said:

I manually copied the emby folders from my DSM 6 setup as I was going to install fresh on DSM 7 on a new NAS.

I've now installed DSM 7 on my new NAS (DS920+) but I can't see the folders where I can put the previous folders.  Under DSM 6 the Emby install folder showed in my shared folders list so I naively thought it would be just a case of copying the folders back to restore my setup.  I think they are hiddedn in DSM 7 but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Did you give the "System internal user" emby read/write permissions to your shares?  This is new in DSM 7

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Did you give the "System internal user" emby read/write permissions to your shares?  This is new in DSM 7

Yes, done that.  I don't think you can see the emby folder in DSM 7 though as I think it's a hidden system file.

9 hours ago, zom414 said:

Did you apply changes to these files after copying them there as shown in post one with the chown command?

• Like 1

FrostByte
15 hours ago, zom414 said:

Yes, done that.  I don't think you can see the emby folder in DSM 7 though as I think it's a hidden system file.

Ya, those folders aren't in a shared folder location anymore, so you won't be able to use File Station to view.  If you set the permissions like cayars mentioned you should be able to use Putty, Terminal, WinSCP, etc to view