DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

OlivetIsa

Hi Cayars,

I've got an issue when trying to copy files with SSH, it says 'Cannot create regular file' Permission denied same thing for folders.

Do you know where this might come from ?

Thanks in advance I'm really clueless even though I followed your video guide.

OlivetIsa

Just forgot about the "sudo -I" command, did that but nothing happened when I type the command line, would it be possible for you to help me remotely please ?

I'm looking to finally upgrade to DSM7 but, I'm not sure if it's safe for me to perform this install.

My "library" files are inside the Emby folder so I am afraid that if I follow your instructions and uninstall emby that it will remove that folder and all my files inside.

Also  - copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

procedure wouldn't be possible for the same reason.  my library files are in /volume1/Emby/Library/Movies and /volume1/Emby/Library/TV Shows 

That's over 10TB of files and I only have 2 TB left on the volume.

So can you please let me know how I should proceed

Thank you!

Dusan 

@Evid3nce BTW, I sent you a PM for remote support.

@Dusan78 I can assist you remotely if you like, just send me a PM.  In a nut shell what you want to do is move the content out of the /volume1/Emby share. You can create a folder /volume1/tmpEmby and move the content there. While you're at it go to the Data folder and remove *.db-shm and *.db-wal files.  You can then go to the Log folder and remove all files. That will help the copy go faster.

Once you've completed the migration you can move your content from /volume1/tmpEmby back to /volume1/Emby. Remember to give "Emby" share read/write for the internal system emby user.

Hello again.  I have done everything from instructions and everything went smoothly except that I now don't have any of my users.  Only user that exists is emby.

Also non of the metadata seems to show and no images are showing.  Everything is gone.  This is absolutely terrible.  What do I do?  I got no sleep all night.  Followed instructions to the letter and I'm in IT so pretty computer literate.  

I've done this twice now with same results.

The only thing that's there is under Library I can see all my libraries and corresponding image for the library.  Also, plugins seem to be showing but, nothing else is there. 

I did a restore from backup and now I have my users back (but no pics for any of them)  I'm now scanning libraries again and it's taking forever.  I have no idea if this is right or not.  It looks like it will take a day to just scan and populate all the metadata again.  I am really mad that I even did this at all.  I waited for a while for everything to be ironed out before upgrading and still nothing works as it's suppose to.   

I don't think this is suppose to be like this or take this long.  Should I stop the process and start again, I have no idea,  But, I can say with certainty that following your instructions and video did not work correctly.

Hi, it sounds like something didn't go correct on the Migration.

If it were me I would shutdown Emby Server.
Open Putty and run the two commands again to copy and chown files (as root).
Then reinstall Emby Server again right over top what you have now.

jsc1205

@cayarsI have done everything up to the point of the Putty deal and then everything turns Greek to me!  If your able to do a remote session with me sometime on 2 Oct that would be great since have no clue how to use it.  

At the moment, I can open up Emby but it takes me to directly to create the first user.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tomorrow would be fine or I could help you now.
I'm sending you a PM.

Dusan78

My update.  So after the scan was finished I still had random pictures missing from movies as well as boxsets.  I manually selected those and refreshed the metadata replacing the images.  After restore I also manually copied the users folder again from emby to @appdata/embyserver   and that has restored the user pics.  I am really confused as to why things didn't work and why random things were missing.  There was no rhyme or reason.  Maybe neutrinos were going through the box and randomly flipping some 0s and 1s.     

But, it all seems to be back and working fine.  It was couple of sleepless nights and frustration but, it's all well now.  That's even with me being in the industry and familiar with all this stuff.   I feel really bad for anyone who's not a computer geek if things do go south. lol  The new DSM 7 looks great and is faster and I am definitely glad I switched over.

Good luck everyone!  

Eyez23q

I updated my Synology to DSM 7 and in the package center was met with an option to "Repair" my Emby installation. Without thinking I went ahead with this and am now greeted with the start page for setting up Emby Server. Is there any hope of restoring my previous configuration or will I simply need to set it up from scratch? My media files are still in their share. I was going to continue on following the migration instructions listed here but am confused about what exactly I should be copying. I do not have an "Emby" folder in /volume1/ however i do have my main share with all my media in it "EmbyShare" under /volume1/.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dusan78
25 minutes ago, Eyez23q said:

I updated my Synology to DSM 7 and in the package center was met with an option to "Repair" my Emby installation. Without thinking I went ahead with this and am now greeted with the start page for setting up Emby Server. Is there any hope of restoring my previous configuration or will I simply need to set it up from scratch? My media files are still in their share. I was going to continue on following the migration instructions listed here but am confused about what exactly I should be copying. I do not have an "Emby" folder in /volume1/ however i do have my main share with all my media in it "EmbyShare" under /volume1/.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In theory, you should be able to just copy over Emby share /volume1/Emby/*  to /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer  using Putty and ssh as per instructions.

I'm thinking that maybe my original problems were because I reinstalled Emby using the 3rd party packages instead of downloading and installing manually although I don't see why it would make a difference.

@Dusan78 Only a guess but I bet you had Emby running on DSM 7 so not all files could be copied.
That or a reinstall of Emby at the wrong time is when I've seen this.  But going back and coping the files again will fix it.

@Eyez23q I'm a little confused by what you're saying.  Did you do the migration to copy your DSM 6 install over to DSM 7?
If so the original files should still be located at /volume1/Emby unless you deleted it?

Dusan78

Definitely followed the instructions exactly.  I even copied the the Emby folder multiple time as well as folder by folder as I didn't want to keep moving the library.  It wasn't until I did a restore that I got users back but, without pictures.  After the restore I copied the files again and then pictures were restored.  I still had to wait for all the item pics to load up but, they are all inside the library folders with the movies.  

I first thought I messed up because I chose to install from the package instead of the manual install.  So I went and deleted everything and tried again from scratch with manual install.  Same thing.  So I deleted everything again and installed from packages one more time.  When that didn't work, I then did the backup restore.  I want to say that when I first copied the file it wasn't like a new installation, I had one user "emby" but, it didn't give me the welcome to the .... New installation screen.  I honestly couldn't tell you why it didn't work as it didn't make any sense.   This is not that complicated.  I don't even know why the backup restore didn't restore pictures specially user ones since the files were in the folders and pics were good.  Permissions were also good.   

I'll file it under glitch in the matrix.  Sort of when one of your socks just goes missing and you can't find it for the life of it.  Then, 2 years later you find it just sitting on a machine. :)

Strange indeed but regardless how you got it done, your system is good now correct?

Dusan78
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Strange indeed but regardless how you got it done, your system is good now correct?

It still hasn't made me a coffee or even sent a random thank you email for all the TLC I provide but, yes it's all good now.  Thank you!

• Like 2

minhwind

My Emby is running normal again all thanks to @cayars for the help + tips.

To be honest, Putty can get pretty complex if you don't know what you're doing. I can understand simple commands, but anything beyond that, you will need the help from the pros.

During the migration process, I didn't have a lot storage in my Synology, I accidentally duplicated my content to /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer by using the following command below:

cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

I couldn't figure out how to delete the duplicated files in Putty, but thanks to @cayars Ghost In The Shell (see what i did there :P ) coding technique, everything was back to normal operation.

Emby not only the best media streaming platform, but the support you're getting in the community is beyond my expectation :)

Thank you and happy streaming everyone!

• Like 1

CrappyUserName

Well I wish I knew this thread existed before I upgraded my NAS. Someone posted in another forum that emby was working fine with DSM7 so figured there was no issues.

After upgrading to DSM 7 it said emby needed to be repaired but after clicking the repair button it would progress for a while and then stop saying it couldn't download it. So I downloaded the DSM7 version of emby and manually installed it.

After that I just got the welcome screen. Great, I'm a premier user so I'll just restore the backup. I had to do a few things to get that to install. Re-pasting the premier key and giving write permission to the emby user for the backup folder.

Once restored the library was still empty. I also had to give emby permission for the shared folders before it would scan my library. It finished scanning but none of the cover art was displaying so I had to refresh metadata for the whole library... it's taking a while. It was then I noticed all my Collections were missing and after a bit of digging around it seems Emby Backup doesn't backup collections... seriously?????????????  I have two choice words for whoever decided not to include that in the backup process.....

I'm going to be busy tomorrow.

Is there any reason metadata and collections are not included in the backup? How do I go about adding them to the daily backup?

hifiaudio2

I sort of asked this before but in a slightly different way.  If I don't care about migrating and don't mind just installing Emby fresh on the upgraded DSM7 and pointing the new install to my folders, etc,  is there still a "right or wrong"  way to do this upgrade?  Should I still stop and deinstall Emby on the current DSm6? What about the instructions to:

remove emby_pkg user and video group -  is this still necessary? 

My install is pretty simple with just one user, 4 main share folders (movies, kids movies, TV shows, kids TV shows) and I don't care about watched status, so I think a fresh install of Emby suits me. 

@CrappyUserName Go back to the first post and start from the step right after installing DSM 7.
Shut down Emby Server if running on DSM 7 before proceeding.

To answer your other question the plugin only backs up configuration information and not data except for a couple of things like user watch state, hence the name "Server Configuration Backup".

CrappyUserName
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Go back to the first post and start from the step right after installing DSM 7.

I tried. The emby folder was gone so there was nothing to copy. I hadn't updated to the latest version of emby when I updated DSM so that might be why. I also didn't uninstall the current version when I installed the new dsm7 version. Like I said, I didn't know this thread existed.

6 hours ago, cayars said:

To answer your other question the plugin only backs up configuration information and not data except for a couple of things like user watch state, hence the name "Server Configuration Backup".

It backed up my favourites, I don't know why collections wouldn't be considered a similar item for backup purposes.