DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

Hi, Sounds like you didn't migrate your data.  Go back and perform the steps mentioned in the first post of this thread.

10 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Sounds like you didn't migrate your data.  Go back and perform the steps mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Thanks. They don't work.

Thanks a lot for this! The video combined with the written explanation in the first post of this thread worked flawlessly.

Synology: DS214play

Emby version: emby-server-synology7-mono_4.7.0.10_x86

I would highly suggest you add these steps after the migration is complete though:

• disable the default admin account again
  • disable ssh again

also, I'm guessing we can now remove the old shared folder called Emby, right? 🤔

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words.  I did edit the op post and added this at the bottom:

Notes:

You can now disable the default admin account as well as SSH.
You may also want to rename /volume/Emby to /volume/Emby6 as well. This will help make sure you don't have anything referencing the old directory.  If you don't notice any issues in a week or two you can delete this old folder/share to free up space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I did edit the op post and added this at the bottom:

Notes:

You can now disable the default admin account as well as SSH.
You may also want to rename /volume/Emby to /volume/Emby6 as well. This will help make sure you don't have anything referencing the old directory.  If you don't notice any issues in a week or two you can delete this old folder/share to free up space.

Noice.

Oh, in those notes that you just added, you wrote "/volume/" instead of "/volume1/"  👀🙃

Thanks for all the work! ❤️

HawkXP71

@cayars Worked great (so far, its currently copying 4gb of data in the cash/library/metadata folders). 

One point of note, on my 918+ I have the 517 extension system and all its drives in a separate volume.  My Emby folder was in /volume2

You may want to put a note about this possibility in your instructions.

HawkXP71
On 9/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, cayars said:

Thanks, fixed!

One thing that would be great.. In reading through, there were a couple of common "Problems"

You might want to consider adding a "trouble shooting guide"

* Its a running like a brand new emby install
   -> Confirm you copied the cache files

(One I just hit)
* After I restart the server, it stops
  -> Confirm you ran the chmod step.  Otherwise the emby user wont have the proper permissions

What's the 517 extension system?

Yea I did think about making notes as to the paths but figured anyone advanced enough to know how to install to a different volume would be smart enough to look at the copy or chown command and know to change the paths to their own location.

Sometimes less is more (I've learned) so not trying to handle every exception is better as it already seems like a lot of steps. 
Besides if the migration didn't work I think most people would make a post and ask.

• Agree 1

HawkXP71
1 minute ago, cayars said:

What's the 517 extension system?

Yea I did think about making notes as to the paths but figured anyone advanced enough to know how to install to a different volume would be smart enough to look at the copy or chown command and know to change the paths to their own location.

Sometimes less is more (I've learned) so not trying to handle every exception is better as it already seems like a lot of steps. 
Besides if the migration didn't work I think most people would make a post and ask.

The https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DX517 is a plug and play way of adding 5 bays to many of the synology boxes (not all support it)  

Its a great way to extend the life of your system if you want more space/drives but not buy  another unit.  

• Like 1

Hi,

After updating Emby server in my Synology NAS DSM7, I'm trying to add libraries with multimedia content form NAS to Emby, but Emby doesn't recognize the path of them (volume1 in NAS) What can I do?

Did you follow grant read/write access to any share being used for the system internal emby user?
You can refer to the first post in this thread or video in that post.

• Like 2

I followed the steps but I realized that I didn’t give permissions to the emby internal user.

Now it works perfectly 

Thank you 

• Like 1

i don't have the space avail to make a 'copy'...

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

...will a 'move' work instead and if so, what addt'l mod's are required to make all this work  ?  

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, pitarobb said:

i don't have the space avail to make a 'copy'...

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

...will a 'move' work instead and if so, what addt'l mod's are required to make all this work  ?  

Do you have your media in the same location as the DSM6 Emby install?  Reason being the space required should be minimal because you're only copying over system configuration files so that you retain watch status, etc.

A move works also.  The only reason for copying the files was in case there was an issue and you needed to redo something.  If your media is there also then that would take up too much unneeded space.

However, I would recommend separating your media and Emby if you can.

gotcha...poor assumption on my part then

i was just initially reading into the instructions and thought that command would be 'copying' all my video-files...D'Oh !!!  ;)

l4v4l4mp3

I was on DSM7 since Months already and everything was working fine. But last night a few apps had installed updates, and after that emby was not working at all. 

I found this thread and did every step from the first post.

Now I am at least able to see my emby in browser and from media clients, but I am unable to start any media.

My nvidia shield is just loading for ever and my Browser says "derzeit sind keine kompatiblen stream verfügbar" which should mean sth like "currently there is no compatible stream available"

I also reinstalled emby again , but same as before...

So for now I am out of luck and hav no idea how to proceed to get it working again. So maybe someone have a hint for me :)

//Few mins after i posted it here, I found my issue and it was just really stupid. - After several restarts - had not mounted my data Share back :D

Edited by l4v4l4mp3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!
I've been running Emby fine over the years on a DS918+, until yesterday I decided to update DishStation to 7.0 without realizing there's a written instructions above by @cayars for migrating Emby from DSM 6 to DSM 7. Before, the updating process between DSM and Emby have always been a smooth transition until today.

Currently, my Emby server version is already on 4.6.4.0-3001 and my DiskStation is version is 7.0-41890. When launching the new version of Emby, its asking me to create a new user + password. I didn't proceed any further as I don't know how it will affect my current library. Is it too late to follow the video steps above? How do resync my previous user account + media without having to restart from the beginning. If anyone can point me to the right direction, that would be helpful. I attached some screenshots as well.

Thank you so much!

DiskStation_V7.0.png

Emby_Browser_NotSyncing.png

Emby_4.6.4.0-3001.png

Edited by minhwind

Just shut down Emby on the NAS and start the migration steps skipping the upgrade to DSM 7 as you've already done this.

As long as you don't delete /volume1/Emby volume (your DSM 6 version of Emby) you can do the migration steps over and over.  So if you hit a problem just send me a PM and I can remote in and help. I've done about 75 of these upgrades remotely now to assist people. :)

• Like 1

Just wondering if the migration process will be automatic at any point in the future? I've been putting off the DSM7 upgrade as I didn't want the hassle of a manual process, but I see that DSM7 has been officially launched today in some regions so want to ask the question.

No it won't as DSM 7 is locked down and won't allow root access to copy the files.

DSM 7 was released I think at the end of June.  Today they just released 7.01 which was in beta previously.