DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

DrHermel

Aaah forgot - Permission for Media like here - foldermanager =>  right click to the folder where the movies are => chage to internal user and permission read/write on the internal Emby-User 🙂

I sure tried to follow the steps to upgrade Emby to Synolgy's DSM 7. Everything seemed to go well. Unfortunately, when I started Emby in DSM 7, I had no users or media.

Obviously I messed something up, perhaps with permissions?

I have attached two log files. 

• embyserver-63772225953.txt  is from the first time I started the Emby server on DSM 7
  • embyserver.txt  is my last attempt to start Emby Server with debug logging enabled.
  • EmptyEmbyScreen.png  is what Emby looks like when I open it in a web browser.

I probably made a silly mistake but I have not found it yet.  I have WinSCP working nicely on my Synology so I can easily retrieve any log files or config files that might help to diagnose this issue.

Thanks for your help, Ralph

EmptyEmbyScreen.png

embyserver-63772225953.txt embyserver.txt

I tried to   cp   and   chown  again.    This had no effect. I still have no users or media when I open Emby in a web browser.

I uninstalled Emby and rebooted my Synology.  I renamed the leftover "/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer" to "EmbyServer.old". (Just to be sure I was starting fresh.)

I reinstalled Emby Server and followed the instructions again.

I believe that the emby user now has read/write access to every folder and file on /volume1 of my Synology. (I don't want to leave it that way, but for debugging...)
Unfortunately, there was no effect.  I still have no users or media when I open Emby in a web browser.

Any help is appreciated,
Ralph

Sounds like you're missing a step.
If you like I can remote in and give you a hand.
Send me a PM if you want to do this.

Otherwise I'd say to start again but carefully read each step and maybe to it side by side with the video just to make sure you're not missing something.

I finally got my data migrated to the DSM 7 version of Emby.

For my first try, I meticulously followed the instructions in the first post (DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions). Emby functioned after that but my users and media were not visible. Judging by the number of folks who encountered the same problem, I believe that a file locking error sometimes occurs when following the original instructions. They are very good instructions but I found that a slight modification worked for me. Perhaps it will also help out some other folks, too.

Here is what worked for me...

• Follow the instructions in DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions until you reach the step requiring ssh copying. Do not copy the files yet. Instead do the following.
  • Stop Emby
  • Restart your Synology to ensure there are no locked files.
  • Start PuTTY (ssh client)
    • sudo -i            {to gain root access}
    • Very carefully type the following. It is a recursive delete.
      • rm -r /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/*
    • cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
    • chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
  • uninstall Emby Server (I used the Package Center)
  • reinstall Emby Server (I used the Package Center)
  • Hopefully, Emby now has your users and media. 🙂

Good luck, everybody.

I am disappointed that there is not an easier migration path.

It sounds like you didn't actually follow the steps exactly as posted or there would be no locked files.
The steps call for installing the package then immediately stopping it. At that point no files will be open.

I know I've done well over 100 migrations for people using only those exact steps without deviation and never had an issue or failed migration.

People start getting into trouble or causing themselves grief when they deviate and do things like open a web browser and access the site just installed vs stopping the process as the instructions say.  Doing things like that in some browsers will lock files (but shouldn't). Same with trying to look at the folders using tools such as WinSCP.

But doing it step by step without deviation just works.

That’s lucky that it works for you. However, lots of folks had trouble. Perhaps your instructions are a bit difficult for the average person to follow. I’ve installed DBMS systems on SANs and had an easier time of it. Expecting your paying users to go through this exceedingly complex upgrade is a very strange business decision. 

I thought that I’d post the steps that I followed because they are a bit more forgiving of mistakes. There are a couple of extra steps but I think fewer folks will end up without users and media. 

This experience has certainly made me wonder about alternatives to Emby.

I don't think anyone had trouble when they followed the directions specifically unless they had Emby installed at some other location. That wasn't in the first round of instructions as I thought people would understand to change /volume1/Emby to the location they installed in.  I was wrong so the instructions now include that too. :)

Some people also ignored the instructions to upgrade to the latest version while still on DSM 6 as well. That adds a bit more complexity depending on the version they had installed as now Emby also needs to upgrade things since the version changes.  By upgrading to the current version while still on DSM 6 it takes the migration process out of the mix if they have an issue upgrading Emby itself.

I know I've remoted in with people who said they tried it 3 to 5 times and it didn't work so I told them to go ahead and I'd watch them. Sure enough every time I've watched they do something other than what the instructions say and have the same problem.  Then I'll tell them to follow the directions specifically and after completing each step remove it from the list.  Having to do that makes them focus more on the instructions and not deviate from them. Seems to work every time that way.

Like I said, I've done over 100 migrations and the instructions work.  I wish they could be shorter but every step is needed.  Can't do anything about that.  This isn't an "Emby" thing but a Synology change in security and location of packages. Synology takes care of migrating their own packages during the upgrade to DSM 7 but doesn't touch 3rd party products. Products that are basic utilities without stored data get fixed with package updates but programs like Emby with data stored need to be manually migrated.

What I don't like about your instructions is that they are counter productive and don't actually add anything and could cause issues.  For example you install Emby but then delete the file system out from under it.  Why?  This does nothing for you. If the files were locked you would have hit a snag right there. Later you uninstall then turn around and reinstall which is another un-needed step. Restarting the Synology server isn't bad or good but shouldn't be needed either as that just adds 10 minutes or so to the already long process.

thorkillar

Guten Abend,

ich habe eine Frage, bevor ich mich an DSM 7 ran traue.

Emby 4.6.3 installieren => ich habe bereits 4.6.4.0 installiert, bevor ich mich mit DSM7 und diesem Leitfaden beschäftigt habe. 
Wie kann ich jetzt die Migration durchführen?

I would first upgrade your installation to version 4.6.6 before making the switch to DSM 7.
Then after the DSM 7 upgrade you will be putting the same version on it 4.6.6 by downloading it off our website.

You would just follow the directions in the first post using 4.6.6 vs the older version mentioned when that was written.

Other than doing the upgrade to 4.6.6 first you should be ready.

I will add:  If you have Emby Premeire make sure you have the Server Configuration Backup plugin installed from the catalog.
Configure it and run it at least one time.  That way you're starting out the migration knowing you have all the core config files as well as users and their watched status backed up.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

thorkillar

Okay, dann mach ich zuerst das Update auf "emby-server-synology_4.6.6.0_x86_64" und führe danach das "Server Configuration Backup" erneut aus. Danach folge ich den Anweisungen auf Seite 1.

FrostByte
28 minutes ago, thorkillar said:

Okay, dann mach ich zuerst das Update auf "emby-server-synology_4.6.6.0_x86_64" und führe danach das "Server Configuration Backup" erneut aus. Danach folge ich den Anweisungen auf Seite 1.

Yes, but that's the wrong install file.  Make sure you grab the one specifically for DSM 7

thorkillar
7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Yes, but that's the wrong install file.  Make sure you grab the one specifically for DSM 7

Okay, ich hatte es so verstanden, dass ich erstmal auf emby-server-synology_4.6.6.0_x86_64 unter DSM6 update und dann den anleitungen folge. Unter DSM7 nutze ich dann emby-server-synology7_4.6.6.0_x86_64.

Richtig?

thorkillar
3 hours ago, cayars said:

I would first upgrade your installation to version 4.6.6 before making the switch to DSM 7.
Then after the DSM 7 upgrade you will be putting the same version on it 4.6.6 by downloading it off our website.

You would just follow the directions in the first post using 4.6.6 vs the older version mentioned when that was written.

Other than doing the upgrade to 4.6.6 first you should be ready.

I will add:  If you have Emby Premeire make sure you have the Server Configuration Backup plugin installed from the catalog.
Configure it and run it at least one time.  That way you're starting out the migration knowing you have all the core config files as well as users and their watched status backed up.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Irgendwas ist schief gelaufen. Ich brauche Hilfe.

Folgendes habe ich falsch gemacht.

cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

=> Habe ich zu früh als beendet angesehen. Und daher hat er nicht alles kopiert.

chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

=> den Befehl hat wurde nicht ausgeführt.

Danach hatte ich den Emby Server gestartet und bemerkte meinen Fehler.

Server deinstalliert. und Prozedur wiederholt.

Jetzt startet aber der Server gar nicht mehr.

Was kann ich machen? Wenn ich das Paket deinstalliere, dann bleibt jedoch der Ordner /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer bestehen. Wie kann ich den restlos löschen? Dann sollte einer Neuinstallation nichts im Weg stehen?`Oder?

Edited by thorkillar

DrHermel

Also ich hab auch alles mögliche versucht mit ssh zu löschen aber das hat nix gebracht. Ich bin den harten weg gegangen und hab Den Synology Nas resettet - aber musst aufpassen dass du den richtigen reset machst, den ohne daten löschen. Musst googeln glaub mit ner nadel hinten 5 sekunden reindrücken bis es piep macht dann direkt nochmal dann macht es 2x piep und dann hast den reset, dann dsm 7.0x neu drauf emby neu installieren alles neu einlesen und dann hast deine Ruhe

Hi, you shouldn't need to delete anything but instead just redo the two SSH commands followed by the installing of the Emby Server package again after that.

Doing a restart of the box shouldn't hurt anything and definitely lets you know you're starting fresh again.

The important question is, are you all migrated and back up and running now?

Im at the point where I am just going to rebuild. I was on DSM6 and Emby 4.4, upgraded to 4.6 and it booted as if it was a new install, all users gone. Wrote it off and decided to fresh install on DSM7.

Looking at the instructions, it seems like we will have to SSH each time into the DSM to move new files into the /Volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer directory. We can no longer use File Station for this. Is this correct?

It's a one time thing that only needs to be done going from DSM 6 to DSM 7. 
This is due to new security built into DSM 7 and the way this is now handled on the OS.

If you have time right now I can help you for a few minutes in order to do the migration.
Send me a PM if you want to do this.

Carlo

thorkillar
9 hours ago, DrHermel said:

Also ich hab auch alles mögliche versucht mit ssh zu löschen aber das hat nix gebracht. Ich bin den harten weg gegangen und hab Den Synology Nas resettet - aber musst aufpassen dass du den richtigen reset machst, den ohne daten löschen. Musst googeln glaub mit ner nadel hinten 5 sekunden reindrücken bis es piep macht dann direkt nochmal dann macht es 2x piep und dann hast den reset, dann dsm 7.0x neu drauf emby neu installieren alles neu einlesen und dann hast deine Ruhe

gehen dabei nicht auch alle anderen Apps (Docker, SurvivelStation...) verloren?

thorkillar

Um zwischenzeitlich für meine Familie die Daten wieder zur Verfügung stellen zu können, habe ich auf meiner WindowsMaschine lokal einen Server installiert.

dort wollte ich jetzt die Quelldaten einbinden. Bekomme aber folgendes Meldung

image.thumb.png.b265fd3e4ca2a484cbaca602dc4eb33d.png

DrHermel

Servus,

Das Problem hatte ich auch. Mit dsm7 gibt es den normalen emby user nicht mehr somit hast gerade keinen zugriff auf dein volume(festplatte) . Geh in deiner Synology in die Systemsteuerung auf die Freigegebenen Ordner. Rechte Maustaste - Bearbeiten - oben auf Betechtigungen.

da hast links „lokale benutzer“ da stellst um auf „interner systembenutzer“ und siehe da da gibts auf einmal einen „emby“. Dem gibst lese ider schreibrechte und es sollte funktionieren:-)

gruß

E9E90E3B-E878-477C-9BCB-466B9AF9E18E.jpeg

thorkillar
1 minute ago, DrHermel said:

Servus,

Das Problem hatte ich auch. Mit dsm7 gibt es den normalen emby user nicht mehr somit hast gerade keinen zugriff auf dein volume(festplatte) . Geh in deiner Synology in die Systemsteuerung auf die Freigegebenen Ordner. Rechte Maustaste - Bearbeiten - oben auf Betechtigungen.

da hast links „lokale benutzer“ da stellst um auf „interner systembenutzer“ und siehe da da gibts auf einmal einen „emby“. Dem gibst lese ider schreibrechte und es sollte funktionieren:-)

gruß

Danke Dir. Hab ich eingestellt. Geht aber dennoch nicht

image.thumb.png.3ce3ff8bc1ab55244825f70ab8cfeabf.png

DrHermel

Also bei mir hat das gereicht, wobei mein emby-server auch auf der Synology Station läuft und nicht auf Windows. Was mir noch einfällt - hatte Probleme, dass meine Netzwerkgeräte nicht in Windows (10 / 11) angezeigt wurden. Dazu musste ich erst smb1 wieder aktivieren, vllt ist dass dein Problem. Habs nach der Anleitung aktiviert und siehe da, auf einmal war mein NAS im Explorer.  https://www.netzwelt.de/anleitung/171158-windows-10-so-aktiviert-smb-10-server-message-block.html

Ansonsten wüsste ich jetzt aktuell nicht was man da noch machen könnte, bin aber auch kein Admin oder ähnliches sondern hatte das gleiche Problem und habs durch Tüftelei halt dann hinbekommen 🙂