DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

poormanshummer
On 27/08/2021 at 11:46, poormanshummer said:

Thank you for your support! Much appreciated.  I'm sure you have your hands full with this. I've replied to your PM and I'm sure we'll get this sorted out.

Cheers

Cayars did a remote session and got me back up a running. Many thanks for the awesome support! Way above my paygrade...

• Like 2

Dave9999

Are there plans to release an Emby version that will handle the migration by itself, or will the current method be needed in the future?

There are no plans to do so because under DSM 7 an installer script can't get "admin/root" access to copy files.  We already tried a few different ways.
Having the specific one-time migration instructions is likely the best we can do.

It's something we would have liked to do via software but it's out of our hands. :(
DSM 7 has a much better security layer in place, so that's the upside. :)

No one knows what the future will hold with DSM 8 (if/when it arrives) so we honestly don't know what will happen then.

• Like 1

Dave9999
On 7/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, cayars said:

The idea is to be the same or close to same version.

If a person was on 4.5 on DSM 6 and upgraded to DSM 7 and used 4.6 it would likely still work but just throws in complications of an Emby upgrade in the process which makes diagnosing pure DSM upgrade glitches harder.

Hope that helps

Thanks. In the migration instructions there is this step"remove emby_pkg user and video group". I did not start the migration yet. I do not. have a user named "emby_pkg", only the user named "emby". Do I remove the emby user, and add a user 'Emby' ? 

Does the case matter, Emby or emby?

Thanks

Edited by Dave9999

You can forget about removing the user and the group item if you don't see them.  They are used only for DSM 6.
The only reason needed to remove them is just to get rid of user/group that isn't needed.

It won't cause any issues for the DSM 7 Emby install.

No you do not create any new accounts but will have to grant read/write to the new system internal emby user created with the DSM 7 install of Emby for each share that will hold media.

• Like 1

Dave9999
5 hours ago, cayars said:

You can forget about removing the user and the group item if you don't see them.  They are used only for DSM 6.
The only reason needed to remove them is just to get rid of user/group that isn't needed.

It won't cause any issues for the DSM 7 Emby install.

No you do not create any new accounts but will have to grant read/write to the new system internal emby user created with the DSM 7 install of Emby for each share that will hold media.

I uninstalled Emby 4.6.4, updated to DSM 7. When I try to reinstall 4.6.4, I get an error message - "this package requires dsm 7.0-40000(update 0) or older. Don't know where to get 4.6.3 id that is what I need

Dave9999
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Nicely done @Dave9999

Posted too soon. All my content shows up, but when I try to play, nothing happens for a while, then the error message “Too many errors, giving up” appears. Tried Shield and IPad clients, neither worked 

Dave9999
7 hours ago, Dave9999 said:

Posted too soon. All my content shows up, but when I try to play, nothing happens for a while, then the error message “Too many errors, giving up” appears. Tried Shield and IPad clients, neither worked 

It was a permissions issue. Fixed now

On 9/3/2021 at 12:07 PM, GadgetComa said:

So, I finally took the plunge and updated to DSM 7. I followed the migration guide and Emby is up and running flawlessly!

Thanks for the feedback !

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to DSM 7.0 then followed the migration guide to the letter and everything is working perfectly :)

Thank you to everyone involved 👍

• Like 2

user101xy

Hi

after finishing the upgrade from Emby to DSM7 i get no items in the Folder of my Synology where all my videos are in.

I have in my Synology - /volume1/videos all my videos, but in Emby it were not showing nothing?

7 minutes ago, user101xy said:

I have in my Synology - /volume1/videos all my videos, but in Emby it were not showing nothing?

Do you have TV Shows and Movies all lumped together or have them broken out such?

/voume1/videos/movies
/volume1/videos/tv shows

Did you follow the step to grant read/write permissions to the system internal emby user on your shares?

gregoryborah

My conversion was simple ... 

1. Install DSM 7 version

2. Grant access to locations (especially the location of the system configuration backup files)

3. Restore from backup using System Configuration Backup plugin

I hardly use Emby anymore, so maybe I am missing things and just dont realize.

Edited by gregoryborah
typo

user101xy

@cayars

Yes, all content (shows, series and films) is in the folder /volume1/video and the permissions are all released by Emby.

UPDATE: I have set permission in an other setting in my Synology. and now it seems to work. Sorry... but thank you @cayars for the info 😉

Edited by user101xy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, gregoryborah said:

My conversion was simple ... 

1. Install DSM 7 version

2. Grant access to locations (especially the location of the system configuration backup files)

3. Restore from backup using System Configuration Backup plugin

I hardly use Emby anymore, so maybe I am missing things and just dont realize.

Sounds like you skipped the whole migration.

Refer back to post one which contains the migration instructions.

2 hours ago, user101xy said:

Yes, all content (shows, series and films) is in the folder /volume1/video and the permissions are all released by Emby.

Do you have other folders under video specifically for movies and another for tv shows?

user101xy

Hi @cayars

thank you for your message! No there are no other folders under it. But i have good news... Could set the permission on my Synology active for the Emby folder. Now it seems fine!

Have a nice day and thank you for your support! 🙂

Glad you got things working but I would suggest taking a look at these two knowledge base articles and re-arranging your media into different locations to separate movies from shows and setting up separate libraries for each path.

Movie Naming:
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159102

TV Show Naming:
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159110

gregoryborah
16 hours ago, cayars said:

Sounds like you skipped the whole migration.

Refer back to post one which contains the migration instructions.

I get that, but what will the migration add to my installation? I see all my content, users and watch histories already.

It would bring over everything you had previously on DSM 6 including all the existing meta-data and pics vs having to reload them on DSM 7 with a new installation.
Basically if you migrate and follow the op post directions then everything should just work under DSM 7.

Upgraded to DSM7 and Emby Server 4.6.4.0

"Welcome to Emby." No users, no libraries, forgot my Premiere status...

And, Library Setup won't find ANY folders on the NAS. I have no way to even set everything back up from scratch...