DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

16 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, if you shut down Emby Server the wal and shm files should disappear.  If not you can delete them.

Your DSM 6 version of Emby could be installed on a different volume.  /volume1/Emby is just the default.

If you like send me a PM and I can remote in and take a look. If we can find you old install, we can migrate all the data over for you.

I may take you up on the remote assistance offer.

But before I do - there is only a single volume on my NAS and there are no Emby files anywhere besides @appdata based on my searching, so I don't think the old install is elsewhere. did the built-in Repair option move/remove the old data somehow?

My metadata is in the individual media directories and I have Premiere with daily backups saved externally... so would it just be simpler to start fresh and import the config?

Just to make sure go root user with sudo -i before searching to make sure you have access to everything.

11 hours ago, cayars said:

Just to make sure go root user with sudo -i before searching to make sure you have access to everything.

Yep, did that - this is every directory on the system with 'emby' in the name:

image.png.9ae74243975577a1ac5ee41db6033717.png

No migration mulligans for you then. :)

You're locked into the new DSM 7 Emby install now.

So made the misstake of updating to DSM 7 now without checking for potential issues (this thread). 

Slightly annoyed, but I do see that Cayars is doing a great work with support regarding it. I am not that great in the world of Synology and Linux (it's a mircle that my NAS even works like I kinda want it) so I would like to request remote assist if possible. 

If not, I would like to know how to procced from my situation. I think I had the newest Emby version already installed before I updated to DSM7. I've tried to re-setup Emby, but I am unsuccessful with adding my libary folders. Just get the error "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.  and I've checked that emby_PKG_ have the permissions to read/write for my Data folder (where my movies/tv shows etc exists)

@Eyadish Send me a PM and I'll give you instructions.  If you're available now/today we can do it right away.
If not let me know what time you would like to schedule.  I'm in the East Time Zone.

As long as you still have the original DSM 6 version of Emby folders we can migrate you to DSM 7 pretty easily.

SwanStream

Been putting off the DSM7 upgrade for a while. Now I have time, but am hesitant. I'm not awesome with Synology in general. We co-exist, but basically avoid each other as much as possible. That said, I've got almost 200TB of data on this box, a DS2415+ that's worked well for a long time and currently has no issues I'm aware of and am getting me ducks in a row to make this happen... kicking and screaming, but I'll do it.

Anybody have suggestions on screenshots or other data that'll help me survive the experience without overdosing on whisky? User details, shares/file permission pages, etc? I've read (skimmed) through the thread and it reads like 'follow the damn instructions to the letter and all is good'... but I don't remember things like permissions, I have to look such up every time. Doesn't look like I need to track that stuff, but thought I'd ask if anyone said 'wish I'd written down _____"?

Currently on DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2 and Emby 4.7.0.13 beta and would hate to loose years of watched/not info, emby premiere key, etc, etc.

BTW @cayars - dude, your support on this thread alone is amazing, great attitude and patience.

EDIT: and since on the beta now, should I be downloading and installing the beta for 7?

Edited by SwanStream

Audiomixer

@SwanStream just having done this, I would first watch the video on post one through first as well as reading post one thoroughly. Have a tablet to be able to play and pause when you are ready to go. Take your time. I was on beta on dsm 6 and downloaded the beta (same version) for dsm 7. Just be careful to use putty when it is called for during the video. It blew my mind that i had it done in 30 mins. Much easier than what plex does. I could not make that one work.

Permissions is so key in making this all work. Took me some time but I even got sonarr and Sab working perfectly all without having to use docker but again, it is all permissions and totally doable.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cayars said:

@Eyadish Send me a PM and I'll give you instructions.  If you're available now/today we can do it right away.
If not let me know what time you would like to schedule.  I'm in the East Time Zone.

As long as you still have the original DSM 6 version of Emby folders we can migrate you to DSM 7 pretty easily.

Found an post that seems to have solved my issue with adding the libraries when doing a new setup. Will continue doing the setup after work today and see if the scan works etc.

I have no clue if I have the original DSM6 version of emby folders left. I haven't touched anything myself so I would guess so. But if my new setup is unsuccessful I will give you a PM. Live in CET+2 so finding a good time might be best next week. 

21 hours ago, cayars said:

No migration mulligans for you then. :)

You're locked into the new DSM 7 Emby install now.

For the benefit of others... what caused my DSM 6 Emby to disappear from my system?

The only thing I did was click the 'Repair' button in Package Manager when it told me Emby wasn't compatible after the DSM 7 upgrade. I was on 4.6.4 in DSM 6 pre-upgrade.

Otherwise, I did exactly what was instructed elsewhere in this thread - start with this guide after the DSM 7 upgrade step.

image.thumb.png.c7190edf46d719a65e1f159ef12cdc0f.png

As for my path forward - should I complete the initial setup like a new/fresh Emby install and then restore my config from my backups?

I edited the op post with an edit at the top just to make it clear to use the latest release version from the website and not specifically 4.6.3 which is no longer the current version. Noted you can migrate beta versions (just use latest versions) as well as mention the release version can now be installed from the Synology package store.

Made a note the instructions use the default install location of/volume1 but you should change this to your volume location if not on /volume1. Hopefully most users advanced enough to know how to change the default install location would have know that already. :)

7 hours ago, SwanStream said:

Been putting off the DSM7 upgrade for a while. Now I have time, but am hesitant. I'm not awesome with Synology in general. We co-exist, but basically avoid each other as much as possible. That said, I've got almost 200TB of data on this box, a DS2415+ that's worked well for a long time and currently has no issues I'm aware of and am getting me ducks in a row to make this happen... kicking and screaming, but I'll do it.

Anybody have suggestions on screenshots or other data that'll help me survive the experience without overdosing on whisky? User details, shares/file permission pages, etc? I've read (skimmed) through the thread and it reads like 'follow the damn instructions to the letter and all is good'... but I don't remember things like permissions, I have to look such up every time. Doesn't look like I need to track that stuff, but thought I'd ask if anyone said 'wish I'd written down _____"?

Currently on DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2 and Emby 4.7.0.13 beta and would hate to loose years of watched/not info, emby premiere key, etc, etc.

BTW @cayars - dude, your support on this thread alone is amazing, great attitude and patience.

EDIT: and since on the beta now, should I be downloading and installing the beta for 7?

Nice NAS.  It's a shame a 12 bay box only has an Intel Atom CPU. :(

If you want a hand with the upgrade let me know and I can remote in and either give you a hand (watching you do it) or I can do it for you while we chat about each step.
Or just send me a PM to make sure I'll be available "just-in-case" for piece of mind.

Since you're on beta just make sure you're up to version 4.7.0.13 (or 14) on DSM 6. Then you install the DSM 7 beta version from the website after installing DSM 7.

Your NAS should support Virtual Machines.  You can spin up a VM with Synology 6 on it, Install Emby Server on it, create a couple of users, add a few files to a library just to have a minimal working Emby Server on it.  Now you can use the VM for a practice session to run through the migration steps.  The video in the first post was made using a VM just like this!  It's a great way to test things.  Depending on what other apps you rely on currently you could install those in the VM as well.  This way you can test all your critical apps out after the DSM 7 install.

Edited by cayars

10 hours ago, Pilot said:

As for my path forward - should I complete the initial setup like a new/fresh Emby install and then restore my config from my backups?

Well I did do the config import - effectively treating this as moving to a new server - and now I've got the dreaded duplicate library problem.

image.thumb.png.34db00762666f65cd712cda2a1ff8d82.png

image.thumb.png.abd57b455cc9d2773bad4c35dac737a0.png

If I delete one, all of the same name delete - for example, delete the first Movies library, and all three Movies disappear. 

I tried deleting all and re-importing the config again and I end up with duplicates again.

I must say... this entire process of moving to DSM 7 is a giant pain. I tend to leave my system alone (I don't have time to mess with it) and this has consumed a bunch of time and it's still not working properly. 

Also, I would still appreciate an answer for why my DSM 6 data disappeared when the only thing I did was click the Repair button in Package Manager.

Yes it probably was the repair button that did this because you had mixed versions and I'd guess it thought removing it was the proper way to repair.

Did you do multiple restores?

If you like, send me a PM and I can remote in and give you a hand to help get you back running.
If not you have a couple things to do. Start with this.

You have a few things you need to fix as all your Libs are current mixed content and you don't want that.
Follow the directions here in this guide.

Let us know if you see multiple folders here for each library or if it's just one each.

CrappyUserName
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes it probably was the repair button that did this

I had also clicked the repair button so that would explain it. That was before I knew this thread existed. Someone had posted on another forum that emby works with DSM 7.0 and didn't give any indication about the steps required to upgrade safely.

The only reason I even knew DSM 7.0 existed is my synology NAS died, flashing blue light. Soldered an 8 cent resistor across 2 pins to fix it. While finding that solution I found a post about DSM 7.0, unfortunately it wasn't this thread.

2 hours ago, CrappyUserName said:

I had also clicked the repair button so that would explain it. That was before I knew this thread existed. Someone had posted on another forum that emby works with DSM 7.0 and didn't give any indication about the steps required to upgrade safely.

The only reason I even knew DSM 7.0 existed is my synology NAS died, flashing blue light. Soldered an 8 cent resistor across 2 pins to fix it. While finding that solution I found a post about DSM 7.0, unfortunately it wasn't this thread.

Yep, same here. I (wrongly) assumed all was well once Emby was natively in Package Center and DSM 7 was ~4 months post-release. Lesson learned, I suppose.

It really would be helpful to send out some clear communication on this. I've had Premiere for years and never would have expected an upgrade to cause this much chaos. Expecting everyone to come to the forum and go hunting to hopefully come across the upgrade thread is not a strategy. 

6 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes it probably was the repair button that did this because you had mixed versions and I'd guess it thought removing it was the proper way to repair.

Did you do multiple restores?

If you like, send me a PM and I can remote in and give you a hand to help get you back running.
If not you have a couple things to do. Start with this.

You have a few things you need to fix as all your Libs are current mixed content and you don't want that.
Follow the directions here in this guide.

Let us know if you see multiple folders here for each library or if it's just one each.

I only had one folder for each library on the NAS; the error was purely inside Emby. I checked the old backups (created on 4.6.4 on DSM 6 a few days ago) and it was clear the old libraries were all correctly set as either TV or Movies, not Mixed.

If I may offer some more feedback - the current backup/restore/migrate situation is not sufficient. I'm using the official plug-in and it generated all the duplicates.

The good news is... after I gave up trying to restore, I just deleted all the libraries and manually re-added them one at a time. All appears back to normal now. Finally.

image.thumb.png.a35307907db240996986cb7048b7010e.png

I think a lot of this was not handled well from Synology's DSM 7 install standpoint.

They should have a big warning when you go to install DSM7 over DSM 6 that specifically tells you to check with all 3rd party vendors of apps installed to make sure they have a DSM 7 versions available and to check for migration instructions.  Something like that to point out a bit of work is needed after the DSM 7 install when using 3rd party apps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pilot said:

image.thumb.png.a35307907db240996986cb7048b7010e.png

Glad you got it working.  Hey that above pic looks like you have Hulu Graphic Options Syndrome. :)

Couldn't decide which theme color to use, so mix it up.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

Glad you got it working.  Hey that above pic looks like you have Hulu Graphic Options Syndrome. :)

Couldn't decide which theme color to use, so mix it up.

Yep, I prefer the all-black theme but it's missing 1 or 2 that I need for how I have my libraries set up.. so mixed it is for now 🤓

SwanStream
On 7/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, cayars said:

- give read/write permissions to your login ID and add Emby

@cayars - I'm at this step in the 1st post instructions and wonder about that last bit "add Emby" you mean add an Emby ID? I ask because the video you already have an emby id before you even get to the users screen. Thx

Skip that.  Edited the op post the other day and think that got pasted by mistake.  I just removed it from the instructions.

• Like 1

SwanStream

Got it. Next question, was following along with video, and 'missed' the putty before starting emby... realizing it was out of sequence, I shut it down and picked up with putty. Do i need to do anything else to clean up as it was asking to add a first user before I bailed?

Doing the cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer now....

Edited by SwanStream

SwanStream

@cayars - So I seem to be up and running to some extent. The primary user emby seems to be the only one. Should have a few more. Did I shoot myself in the foot with starting emby before copying everything over?

Edit: and when I log in to that id, library(s) are empty....

Edit 2: found a bit of info from @LemurTech (thanks for posting that dude!), ran  rm -r /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/* and am in the process of re-coping the 15gb of data again to see if that helps me unscrew myself for my oversight. I'll edit again if it works or not

Edit 3: That did it. Now all libraries and users are as they should be. Gotta track the video AND 1st post instructions together!.

Tested playback, as well as Kodi via emby next gen addon and can confirm that the combo does in fact work just as expected.

@cayars - If you think it would help to split the video into two parts so there's a "pre-putty" and "post-putty" videos rather than the combined to help knuckleheads like met to not glaze over and miss the transition, I'm happy to do that edit and PM them to you. LMK.

Thanks @cayars for the patient nudging ✌

Edited by SwanStream

You got something wrong if you're uses didn't come across.
Shut down Emby.
Start back over from the two putty commands overwriting what you have now.

If you need help, send me a PM and I'll get you some remote help sometime today.

VicSupaNov

Hey guys I've been scrolling through this forum because I finally upgraded to DSM 7 on my DS920+. I've seen people mentioning different things to do to fix emby. I'm not good at ssh and putty etc.... Is there a newest fix to solve my emby no longer working?

Edited by VicSupaNov