Emby doesn't respect folder location like 4.5.4.0

gokuz

16 minutes ago, gokuz said:

So you're going to ignore that 4.5.4.0 works but not 4.6.x.x.? Ok

It did not work.  You had so much bogus data and conflicting data no one would be able to make heads or tails of it.  Different versions of the software will likely "interpret" this mess differently.  But it will work correctly if you feed it valid data. We keep telling you this over and over but you don't or won't fix your conflicting data.

13 minutes ago, gokuz said:

At this point I'm vs the world here. I'm a 1 man army vs you guys.

You guys really don't see the point of customizing your own media, that's the point of emby no?

Once again, 3.5.2-4.5.4.0 works, please do not ignore this.

Yes because we're all telling you the same thing to fix your conflicting data so you stop feeding Emby garbage data. Then you won't have to worry about how different versions interpret this mess as it will clear and understood.

Yes we see the point of customizing the meta-data and of Emby following the meta-data. This is what you don't seem to grasp.

6 minutes ago, roaku said:

No one has even suggested you stop 'customizing your own media'.

Correct your metadata.

If you want an episode in season 1, don't provide any metadata, anywhere, that says it is in season 2.

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, gokuz said:

If you read the whole thread, you can see how I'm fighting a losing battle asking for a fix.

Either people are trolling me or just don't get it.

You're not fighting a losing battle.  You're fighting the path to success or fixing the issue that only exists on your system due to the mess of conflicting information your feeding Emby.

The fact is just about everyone who has tried to help you could take this tv series and could fix it in about 10 minutes to display episodes any way we want without trying to fight the system.

• Like 1

roaku
14 minutes ago, gokuz said:

What about looking at my other thread for a change? 

Simply saying to fix my metadata multiple times now after I said no is extremely not helpful, borderline rude.

You just going to sweep my comment about 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0 having this feature?

You said overhaul but there's a ton of fixes in the changelog. Please deal with this.

I'm just a random forum person, not speaking for anyone but myself.

Fix your metadata, though.

• Like 2

gokuz
1 hour ago, cayars said:

It did not work.  You had so much bogus data and conflicting data no one would be able to make heads or tails of it.  Different versions of the software will likely "interpret" this mess differently.  But it will work correctly if you feed it valid data. We keep telling you this over and over but you don't or won't fix your conflicting data.

Yes because we're all telling you the same thing to fix your conflicting data so you stop feeding Emby garbage data. Then you won't have to worry about how different versions interpret this mess as it will clear and understood.

Yes we see the point of customizing the meta-data and of Emby following the meta-data. This is what you don't seem to grasp.

Exactly.

You're not fighting a losing battle.  You're fighting the path to success or fixing the issue that only exists on your system due to the mess of conflicting information your feeding Emby.

The fact is just about everyone who has tried to help you could take this tv series and could fix it in about 10 minutes to display episodes any way we want without trying to fight the system.

Your thinking is purely wrong here. 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0 is a span of 2 years. Thats 2 years worth of customization.

All the hard work into customizing went down the drain due to 4.6 update that went online a few months ago.

You cannot deny there's a few hiccups here and there due to the short occlusion of updates we recently got. This is one of those bugs that needs fixing. Plain and simple.

Edited by gokuz

gokuz
1 hour ago, roaku said:

I'm just a random forum person, not speaking for anyone but myself.

Fix your metadata, though.

Exactly. If you can't understand my issue or try testing it, try to put your shoes in mine.

If not, I suggest keep your sheep mentality as you have your way and I have mine.

Edited by gokuz

roaku
4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Exactlt. If you can't understand my issue or try testing it, try to put your shoes in mine.

If not, I suggest keep your sheep mentality as you have your way and I have mine.

I do understand your issue.

You have conflicting metadata.

You should decide which season each of your episodes belong in and update your metadata to accurately reflect those decisions.

Edited by roaku

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

Why do you have nfos that say Season 2 for an episode

I do understand your issue.

You have conflicting metadata.

You should decide which season each of your episodes being in and update your metadata to accurately reflect those decisions.

Have you tried it in 4.5.4.0?

roaku
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

Have you tried it in 4.5.4.0?

Have you tried not telling Emby that one episode belongs in two different seasons?

• Haha 1

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

Have you tried not telling Emby that one episode belongs in two different seasons?

Have you tried 4.5.4.0, be honest.

Happy2Play

But just because it worked for you does not mean it should have and was not a bug in all previous versions.  You should not be able to put media in wrong folders and expect it to appear properly even if by chance it did in previous versions.  So I would say it is still a bug as metadata saying season 2 episode 1 should only appear per metadata in Season 2 view.

So it was and is broke in all Emby versions.  Proper metadata link would only show this Season 2 item in Season 2 and that is the direction Emby is moving to all garbage in and present where the metadata says it should be.  So moving forward with will only get worse for your needs.  As folder will be ignored more and more.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But just because it worked for you does not mean it should have and was not a bug in all previous versions.  You should not be able to put media in wrong folders and expect it to appear properly even if by chance it did in previous versions.  So I would say it is still a bug as metadata saying season 2 episode 1 should only appear per metadata in Season 2 view.

So it was and is broke in all Emby versions.  Proper metadata link would only show this Season 2 item in Season 2 and that is the direction Emby is moving to all garbage in and present where the metadata says it should be.  So moving forward with will only get worse for your needs.  As folder will be ignored more and more.

So, once again. I can put 900 episodes in Season 1 and it will be ok?

roaku
Just now, gokuz said:

Have you tried 4.5.4.0, be honest.

I absolutely have not put an episode with a filename and nfo that says Season 2 in a folder that says Season 1 in any version of Emby and have absolutely zero plans to do something that nonsensical.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
Just now, gokuz said:

So, once again. I can put 900 episodes in Season 1 and it will be ok?

It depends are they all season 1?  Technically I would call that Absolute order not a Aired order.  But naming scheme is a factor also.

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

I absolutely have not put an episode with a filename and nfo that says Season 2 in a folder that says Season 1 in any version of Emby and have absolutely zero plans to do something that nonsensical.

Have you tried it in 4.5.4.0? If not your comments are invalid at this point.

The title states 4.5.4.0. If you did not test it, please stop.

roaku
Just now, gokuz said:

Have you tried it in 4.5.4.0? If not your comments are invalid at this point.

The title states 4.5.4.0. If you did not test it, please stop.

You should fix your metadata.

gokuz
Just now, Happy2Play said:

It depends are they all season 1?  Technically I would call that Absolute order not a Aired order.  But naming scheme is a factor also.

You said a second ago folders will be ignored no?

Happy2Play
Just now, gokuz said:

You said a second ago folders will be ignored no?

Currently no, that is the direction Emby is moving so you can have garbage and Emby will know where to present that garbage according to proper metadata.  Emby it is not there yet.  But even if Luke were to accommodate you, future update will break it.  Your current metadata is wrong for the current and future logic going forward.

2 minutes ago, gokuz said:

In 4.5.4.0?

A bug in all previous versions.  And still a bug in current version as this structure causes havoc do to unsupported structure.

roaku
7 minutes ago, gokuz said:

In 4.5.4.0?

Yes. An episode with nfo that says Season 2 is wrong if it's placed in a folder named Season 1, regardless of how any Emby version reacts to it.

It makes no more sense than having two different Season entries in your nfo file.

Decide what season your episodes belong to and stick to it.

Edited by roaku

gokuz
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Currently no, that is the direction Emby is moving so you can have garbage and Emby will know where to present that garbage according to proper metadata.  Emby it is not there yet.  But even if Luke were to accommodate you, future update will break it.  Your current metadata is wrong for the current and future logic going forward.

A bug in all previous versions.  And still a bug in current version as this structure causes havoc do to unsupported structure.

I do understand your point of view, i do trust me. But the fact that a user has to change 2 years worth of customization just for 1 update and "future" iterations is ridiculous to me.

Unlike Plex, I feel that Emby is the best in terms of listening to its customers. But I have my doubts now. People who are thinking of switching to Emby will be reading this thread and seeing how the little guy just lost.

They will take it as an insult and not support emby. I hope I'm wrong and luke fixes this in due time.

Until then, I'm stuck with 4.5.4.0 indefinitely.

gokuz
7 minutes ago, roaku said:

Yes. An episode with nfo that says Season 2 is wrong if it's placed in a folder named Season 1, regardless of how any Emby version reacts to it.

It makes no more sense than having two different Season entries in your nfo file.

Decide what season your episodes belong to and stick to it.

4.5.4.0 works though, could you show a screenshot of your testing?

rexerm
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

Unlike Plex, I feel that Emby is the best in terms of listening to its customers. But I have my doubts now. People who are thinking of switching to Emby will be reading this thread and seeing how the little guy just lost.

They will take it as an insult and not support emby. I hope I'm wrong and luke fixes this in due time.

On the contrary, I've been following this thread with interest and have been incredibly impressed with the Emby Support folks' patience and politeness. As a former Plex user for many years, I'm very happy with my choice to switch to Emby due to both technical reasons and developer responsiveness.

• Like 5

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Until then, I'm stuck with 4.5.4.0 indefinitely.

Well that may not be possible as clients update beyond the capabilities and standards of that server version.  So it really depends on when the devs want to apply a break requiring server updates.

gokuz
Just now, rexerm said:

On the contrary, I've been following this thread with interest and have been incredibly impressed with the Emby Support folks' patience and politeness. As a former Plex user for many years, I'm very happy with my choice to switch to Emby due to both technical reasons and developer responsiveness.

Thank you for following this thread. What's your take on 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0 supporting this.

After 2 years 4.6 comes along and breaks this feature.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Well that may not be possible as clients update beyond the capabilities and standards of that server version.  So it really depends on when the devs want to apply a break requiring server updates.

You're right. So you're saying luke will fix this bug?

roaku
2 minutes ago, gokuz said:

4.5.4.0 works though, could you show a screenshot of your testing?

It doesn't 'work'. It just happens to break the way you want.

Explain to me why your episode filename and nfo for Season *should* be ignored when you put it in a season folder that doesn't match?

Why is it wrong to ignore the folder instead?

Why shouldn't Emby just ignore the episode entirely because there's no way for the system to know what season the user *really* wants the episode to appear under?