Emby doesn't respect folder location like 4.5.4.0

gokuz

Gilgamesh_48
3 minutes ago, gokuz said:

There's literally no downside of it by fixing it. Please fix 4.6.x.x.

The "downside" is: There was a bug. Emby fixed the bug. You want the bug reintroduced!

While it is true that: “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger W. Dijkstra. What we have now does not need reprogramming.

Resistance is futile.

• Haha 1

gokuz
22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

The "downside" is: There was a bug. Emby fixed the bug. You want the bug reintroduced!

While it is true that: “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger W. Dijkstra. What we have now does not need reprogramming.

Resistance is futile.

Are you an emby dev?

Gilgamesh_48
24 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Are you an emby dev?

Of course not. I am just a long time user that tried to "do it my way" for several years (using Emby [starting when it was "Media Browser" ] and Plex) and then realized that I was spending way too much time just maintaining my library so I spent a little extra time and got my entire library if an approved format and now I spend very little time on maintenance and the time I save can be spent on watching my media and that is much more fun.

• Agree 1

gokuz
5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Of course not. I am just a long time user that tried to "do it my way" for several years (using Emby [starting when it was "Media Browser" ] and Plex) and then realized that I was spending way too much time just maintaining my library so I spent a little extra time and got my entire library if an approved format and now I spend very little time on maintenance and the time I save can be spent on watching my media and that is much more fun.

Then why this sheep mentality? 

If you're not the dev, I suggest keep those comments about who dictates how your files should look like to yourself.

I wish there's a good anime scraper that has "Story Arcs" or "Year". But there's not. So I have to resort to making my own NFO/images.

I'm not doing this for leisure, its by necessity. Anime is not watchable if its dictated by TVDB overlords how they sort their stuff, especially when Episodes are above 200+.

I'm not asking much really, 4.5.4.0 has it, 4.6.x.x don't.

Its pretty simple, luke decides to fix it or not. Stop imposing your ideas like you're some sort of objective truth, you're not.

Gilgamesh_48
4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Then why this sheep mentality? 

If you're not the dev, I suggest keep those comments about who dictates how your files should look like to yourself.

I wish there's a good anime scraper that has "Story Arcs" or "Year". But there's not. So I have to resort to making my own NFO/images.

I'm not doing this for leisure, its by necessity. Anime is not watchable if its dictated by TVDB overlords how they sort their stuff, especially when Episodes are above 200+.

I'm not asking much really, 4.5.4.0 has it, 4.6.x.x don't.

Its pretty simple, luke decides to fix it or not. Stop imposing your ideas like you're some sort of objective truth, you're not.

You choose to read that which has not been said and you try to dictate what others can and cannot post. I will post what I want to post where I want to post it and there is NOTHING can do about it.

However this will be the very last time I respond to you. That is not to try and punish you, that is not within my rights or desires or abilities. It is so I do not have to fight meaningless battles. 

gokuz
7 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

You choose to read that which has not been said and you try to dictate what others can and cannot post. I will post what I want to post where I want to post it and there is NOTHING can do about it.

However this will be the very last time I respond to you. That is not to try and punish you, that is not within my rights or desires or abilities. It is so I do not have to fight meaningless battles. 

You should not have came here and said all those things about how you are the only one whose right in the world. You're not my master nor am I your slave.

Again, you're essentially telling the dev what he should and not do. Let the dev decide for himself, since I gave ample evidences about how 4.6.x.x update is different and pointed out said differences.

roaku

This seems like a good solution that doesn't involve conflicting season metadata or depend on undocumented and unsupported behavior and is available to use right now:

• Agree 1

gokuz
17 minutes ago, roaku said:

This seems like a good solution that doesn't involve conflicting season metadata or depend on undocumented and unsupported behavior and is available to use right now:

Not a good solution at all. NFO editing is required for this.

4.5.4.0 doesn't require any NFO edits.

It's the perfect solution because you're changing the meta-data itself which is what instruct Emby the season/episode position to use. You can directly edit the NFO files or edit the meta-data in Emby which will cause the NFO to be re-written with the new season/episode info.

Multiple people have said this throughout the thread as this is the method by design to handle this.  It will work in this version, last version and next version as well as the version after that.  Just follow the naming guide we have then adjust the meta-data to display the media the way you want.

Instead of trying to fight Emby, use it the way it's designed to be used.  Emby is a meta-driven platform, simple as that.

• Like 2

roaku
18 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Your metadata is currently wrong no matter how different versions of Emby react to it.

• Like 1

gokuz
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Instead of trying to fight Emby, use it the way it's designed to be used. 

I'm not fighting emby. It was designed this way in 4.5.4.0

gokuz
2 minutes ago, roaku said:

Your metadata is currently wrong no matter how different versions of Emby react to it.

Metadata is correct. Read the 1st post.

• Haha 1

roaku
Just now, gokuz said:

Metadata is correct. Read the 1st post.

No, it's wrong.

You're telling Emby that an episode(s) is part of season 2 (nfo) and that actually no, it's part of season 1 (folder structure).

It was luck that Emby happened to react to this error in a way you liked in a previous version, not design.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

gokuz
3 minutes ago, roaku said:

No, it's wrong.

You're telling Emby that an episode(s) is part of season 2 (nfo) and that actually no, it's part of season 1 (folder structure).

It was luck that Emby happened to react to this error in a way you liked in a previous version, not design.

I'm simply putting S02E01-14 (mkv/nfo/images) into Season 1 folder.

And its showing in Season 1 ONLY.

This is how it worked since I've used EMBY, so yea, the change to 4.6.x.x broke something.

roaku
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

I'm simply putting S02E01-14 (mkv/nfo/images) into Season 1 folder.

And its showing in Season 1 ONLY.

This is how it worked since I've used EMBY, so yea, the change to 4.6.x.x broke something.

Yes, Emby used to react the way you wanted to the incorrect metadata you were feeding it. Now it doesn't.

This isn't a problem with Emby.

It's a problem with your metadata.

You should correct your metadata so that you feed Emby only one Season entry for each episode instead of two.

Armageus
37 minutes ago, gokuz said:

You have two options as I see it?

1. Stay on 4.5.4.0

2. Fully control your own metadata by fixing your NFO files/folder structure/library format (You've said below that scrapers apparently don't work properly for anime, so you've had to make your own NFO files - so why not do it properly and fix them?)

10 hours ago, gokuz said:

gokuz
10 minutes ago, roaku said:

Yes, Emby used to react the way you wanted to the incorrect metadata you were feeding it. Now it doesn't.

This isn't a problem with Emby.

It's a problem with your metadata.

You should correct your metadata so that you feed Emby only one Season entry for each episode instead of two.

What incorrect metadata? Its the correct NFO. Just placed in a different folder. 

Is placing a different folder = incorrect metadata in your book?

gokuz
6 minutes ago, Armageus said:

You have two options as I see it?

1. Stay on 4.5.4.0

2. Fully control your own metadata by fixing your NFO files/folder structure/library format (You've said below that scrapers apparently don't work properly for anime, so you've had to make your own NFO files - so why not do it properly and fix them?)

1. Stay on 4.5.4.0 forever?

2. Having to redo NFO for 200+ episodes for each anime series is a lot of work, and there's no good tool to "just change episode".

If you do have a tool to change batch episodes let me know.

roaku
4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

What incorrect metadata? Its the correct NFO. Just placed in a different folder. 

Is placing a different folder = incorrect metadata in your book?

It is incorrect metadata.

• Like 1

roaku
Just now, gokuz said:

Which part?

The part where you use nfo to tell Emby the Season is 2 and folder to tell Emby the Season is 1.

gokuz
2 minutes ago, roaku said:

The part where you use nfo to tell Emby the Season is 2 and folder to tell Emby the Season is 1.

You said my nfo is wrong. Now you say both folders and nfo is wrong.

What is metadata in your "book"?

Armageus
3 minutes ago, gokuz said:

1. Stay on 4.5.4.0 forever?

2. Having to redo NFO for 200+ episodes for each anime series is a lot of work, and there's no good tool to "just change episode".

If you do have a tool to change batch episodes let me know.

I have no interest in anime so don't fully understand the issue with story arcs etc, however a quick search suggests other people have created custom NFO packs

e.g.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/h87b1p/monogatari_metadata_done_right/

If Anime is such an issue, then would a separate library type for Anime help (e.g. that functions similarly to 4.5.4.0?)

Perhaps there are other changes that would be of Benefit for an Anime library, and sensible changes (rather than just reverting a previous "bug") are something @Luke and the team could look at?

roaku
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

You said my nfo is wrong. Now you say both folders and nfo is wrong.

What is metadata in your "book"?

Do you think one episode can be part of more than one season?

gokuz
3 minutes ago, Armageus said:

I have no interest in anime so don't fully understand the issue with story arcs etc, however a quick search suggests other people have created custom NFO packs

e.g.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/h87b1p/monogatari_metadata_done_right/

If Anime is such an issue, then would a separate library type for Anime help (e.g. that functions similarly to 4.5.4.0?)

Perhaps there are other changes that would be of Benefit for an Anime library, and sensible changes (rather than just reverting a previous "bug") are something @Luke and the team could look at?

Plex has worse nfo support than emby.

I'm not asking for much really. No new feature requests, no top of the world impossible asks.

4.5.4.0 worked fine, with that logic 4.6.x.x should be fixable. Thats it.