Emby doesn't respect folder location like 4.5.4.0

gokuz

Armageus
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

Can it be guessed a certain way in 4.6.x.x too?

Any downsides to that?

I can only speculate, but it was obviously changed for a reason (likely related to the Metadata rewrite for music) - if it wasn't necessary to change then it wouldn't have been changed 🤔

The downside in changing it back is it obviously breaks everything else that it was intended to fix (for all other users), just to fix your broken library

gokuz
2 minutes ago, Armageus said:

Stop trying to argue that your unsupported library should for some reason be supported.

The amount of effort you are spending to argue this, you could have fixed it already

Do take a look at my other thread. Your term "unsupported library" is subjective at best. Luke fixed my previous problem that was fixed from 4.5.4.0. 

Again, I'm not asking for the world. Just a fix that was present in 4.5.4.0

5 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Its because you can easily replicate it.

Read again, Happy confirmed 4.5.4.0 is working as I described.

No he did not.  Go back and read what he tested.  You asked us to move the files with NFO which I do not believe he did.
I did and so did others who also can't confirm what you did.

4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Its all good and I understand what you mean. 

But 4.5.4.0 works well without going through hoops like you suggested.

So, in the end 4.6.x.x needs a fix.

No 4.6 does not need fixing as it works correctly if you feed it proper information.  The old saying "garbage in, garbage out" applies here.
You are feeding Emby garbage info that is all over the board with wrong info.  fix it

Just now, gokuz said:

That's why I'm making this thread.

4.5.4.0 works.

There is a whole other part of this not ever talked about.

Your NFO files were not generated by Emby but by another program and even the NFOs had internal conflicting info in them.  It's quite possible 4.5 just didn't use the NFO when loading as it couldn't make sense of the data.

4.6 could now be trying to make more sense of your conflicting NFO info.

But again it all comes back to all the conflicting info being given to Emby.

Clean it up then edit the season & episode numbers to be what you want in the Emby Meta-Data editor and you're done.

gokuz
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

No he did not.  Go back and read what he tested.  You asked us to move the files with NFO which I do not believe he did.
I did and so did others who also can't confirm what you did.

No 4.6 does not need fixing as it works correctly if you feed it proper information.  The old saying "garbage in, garbage out" applies here.
You are feeding Emby garbage info that is all over the board with wrong info.  fix it

There is a whole other part of this not ever talked about.

Your NFO files were not generated by Emby but by another program and even the NFOs had internal conflicting info in them.  It's quite possible 4.5 just didn't use the NFO when loading as it couldn't make sense of the data.

4.6 could now be trying to make more sense of your conflicting NFO info.

But again it all comes back to all the conflicting info being given to Emby.

Clean it up then edit the season & episode numbers to be what you want in the Emby Meta-Data editor and you're done.

Erm, read after i typed PM'ed, facepalm.

Armageus
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

Do take a look at my other thread. Your term "unsupported library" is subjective at best. Luke fixed my previous problem that was fixed from 4.5.4.0. 

Again, I'm not asking for the world. Just a fix that was present in 4.5.4.0

If you're referring to this thread: 

Then yes I can see why it was fixed - it's a beneficial change that benefits the community as a whole (Anime watchers in particular I assume).

However what you are currently suggesting is just illogical that a Season 2 episode should be in Season 1?

Why not just create custom seasons ("arcs" or whatever) using the above fix?

gokuz
2 minutes ago, Armageus said:

However what you are currently suggesting is just illogical that a Season 2 episode should be in Season 1?

Why not just create custom seasons ("arcs" or whatever) using the above fix?

I pointed out how emby behaves differently between 4.5.4.0 and 4.6.x.x.

Is it that difficult to understand that this might be a bug that they (devs) are not made aware of?

Since emby is closed sourced, there's no telling how or when their code changed, so yes, I gotta report to them what I find that's apparent fault.

27 minutes ago, Armageus said:

If you're referring to this thread: 

That thread had a very similar theme to it as well overall.
"But we can't fix something that was ever technically supported."
"I still wouldn't expect it to work with your naming model"

one that covers it there and here:
"
You don't seem to understand the difference between not working and broken.  If you decide to use your sedan as an off-road vehicle and it breaks, that is not a problem with the vehicle.  Even if that sedan did not break the first 45 times you used it for an unintended purpose, that still doesn't make it a fault in the vehicle.  It just means you used it wrong and you broke it.

Your folder structure is not supported.  It was never supported.  If it appeared to work that's great, but entirely coincidental.

What you want is a feature request, not a bug fix.  You would like your currently unsupported structure to be officially supported.  Post it to the FR forum.  it could gain traction and perhaps be implemented."

gokuz
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Your folder structure is not supported.  It was never supported.  If it appeared to work that's great, but entirely coincidental.

What you want is a feature request, not a bug fix.  You would like your currently unsupported structure to be officially supported.  Post it to the FR forum.  it could gain traction and perhaps be implemented."

I'm literally having dejavu here. You said similar stuff on my other thread. 

When luke fixed it, thanks again luke!, you went silent.

Edited by gokuz

Luke didn't fix your issue with bad data but fixed a display issue that was also showing up for other users as well when it was confirmed with valid data. But everyone told you that you would have other issues with the way you had your files.  This thread is case and point of that.

This thread is about inputting conflicting information into Emby and expecting a specific outcome that doesn't make sense to anyone but you.

There is an easy/approved method to display the media the way you want to display it that everyone else uses (as designed), yet you choose not to do it.

gokuz
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Luke didn't fix your issue with bad data but fixed a display issue that was also showing up for other users as well when it was confirmed with valid data. But everyone told you that you would have other issues with the way you had your files.  This thread is case and point of that.

This thread is about inputting conflicting information into Emby and expecting a specific outcome that doesn't make sense to anyone but you.

There is an easy/approved method to display the media the way you want to display it that everyone else uses (as designed), yet you choose not to do it.

Why are you so hard on opposing getting this fixed?

It won't have any negative aspects to it.

gokuz
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'll be generous and start with 3.5.2 since that's the last open source version of emby.

So you're telling me from 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0, it was bugged?

Can the opposite be true, 4.6.x.x is the bugged one since its 1 update away.

roaku
17 minutes ago, gokuz said:

What metadata? Be specific.

roaku
Just now, gokuz said:

Read my first post. You still do not understand what I'm doing.

You don't understand what you're doing.

You've just lucked out so far that Emby choked the way you wanted when you told it "episode X was in season 2 (nfo), but actually, it's also in season 1 (folder), and by the way, here's the TVDB ID too, just to shake things up a bit (nfo again)".

• Like 1

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

You don't understand what you're doing.

You've just lucked out so far that Emby choked the way you wanted when you told it "episode X was in season 2 (nfo), but actually, it's also in season 1 (folder), and by the way, here's the TVDB ID too, just to shake things up a bit (nfo again)".

Lucked out since 3.5.2?

That's generous honestly, it could be version 2.0 even.

For the sake of argument, 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0, so I lucked out for 2 years?

Or 1 month since 4.6 came out?

roaku
42 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Lucked out since 3.5.2?

That's generous honestly, it could be version 2.0 even.

For the sake of argument, 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0, so I lucked out for 2 years?

Or 1 month since 4.6 came out?

Yes. It is pure luck that Emby used to pick Season folder metadata and ignore episode level nfo's Season number when they conflicted instead of doing any number of different things you wouldn't have liked.

Developers have already been  in this thread explaining to you that they're moving Emby to a model that will eventually completely ignore folder structure altogether and the process has already started.

When that overhaul is complete, all you will have is your nfo metadata to tell Emby what season an episode belongs in.

Tell me, does your nfo metadata for each of your episodes point to the Season number *you* want them to be in?

Edited by roaku
  • Agree 1

Deathsquirrel

I applaud everyone who wants to help but honestly, you're all just repeating yourselves because the person you're talking to is not listening to you.  The solution was identified in the first handful of posts.  Neither the suggested solutions nor the poster's refusal to listen to the solutions has changed in any way since the start of the thread.

At this point I'd say just lock it.

For future people reviewing this thread who do not like how TVDB and THEMOVIEDB handle anime, you have a couple solutions:

1. Suck it up and live with their organization.  Name your files to match what they've done, put them in a TV library, let Emby scrape the data, and just leave it be.
  2. Use their data as a starting point and then edit it.  Name your files to match what they've done, put them in a TV library, let Emby scrape the data, and then use the Emby metadata editor to change anything you don't like.  You can move things around to different seasons, change titles, whatever.  Just do it in the metadata editor and be sure to save your metadata locally and back it up so you can't lose it.
  3. Don't use the metadata providers at all and do it all by hand.  Name your files however you want.  Either put them in a TV library with all metadata providers disabled or put them in a home video library.  Enter your metadata by hand and make sure you save it locally.  Back it up so you can't lose it.

That's it.  That's what you have to choose from unless 'do it contrary to the design of Emby and be perptually unhappy' counts as an option 4.  You could also consider creating the metadata with third party tools but, as has been highlighted in this thread, those files may be full of garbage data that Emby can't predictably handle.  Better to stick with the Emby editor if Emby is the tool that's going to actually play this stuff back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

justinrh

There's one thing I learned from this mess of a post:  use 'e-mail once a week' when selecting a following option!  My e-mail sucked up my monthly allowance of data!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

gokuz
3 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

I applaud everyone who wants to help but honestly, you're all just repeating yourselves because the person you're talking to is not listening to you.  The solution was identified in the first handful of posts.  Neither the suggested solutions nor the poster's refusal to listen to the solutions has changed in any way since the start of the thread.

At this point I'd say just lock it.

For future people reviewing this thread who do not like how TVDB and THEMOVIEDB handle anime, you have a couple solutions:

1. Suck it up and live with their organization.  Name your files to match what they've done, put them in a TV library, let Emby scrape the data, and just leave it be.
  2. Use their data as a starting point and then edit it.  Name your files to match what they've done, put them in a TV library, let Emby scrape the data, and then use the Emby metadata editor to change anything you don't like.  You can move things around to different seasons, change titles, whatever.  Just do it in the metadata editor and be sure to save your metadata locally and back it up so you can't lose it.
  3. Don't use the metadata providers at all and do it all by hand.  Name your files however you want.  Either put them in a TV library with all metadata providers disabled or put them in a home video library.  Enter your metadata by hand and make sure you save it locally.  Back it up so you can't lose it.

That's it.  That's what you have to choose from unless 'do it contrary to the design of Emby and be perptually unhappy' counts as an option 4.  You could also consider creating the metadata with third party tools but, as has been highlighted in this thread, those files may be full of garbage data that Emby can't predictably handle.  Better to stick with the Emby editor if Emby is the tool that's going to actually play this stuff back.

So you're going to ignore that 4.5.4.0 works but not 4.6.x.x.? Ok

Telling people to lock it even though you have not tested it is plain selfish.

You're the type of person who turns away a hungry homeless man asking for food. Please change your ways and be kinder.

I'm not asking for much here, 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0 works, you can see how 2 years worth of customizing went down the drain because of 4.6.

Edited by gokuz

gokuz
5 hours ago, roaku said:

Yes. It is pure luck that Emby used to pick Season folder metadata and ignore episode level nfo's Season number when they conflicted instead of doing any number of different things you wouldn't have liked.

Developers have already been  in this thread explaining to you that they're moving Emby to a model that will eventually completely ignore folder structure altogether and the process has already started.

When that overhaul is complete, all you will have is your nfo metadata to tell Emby what season an episode belongs in.

Tell me, does your nfo metadata for each of your episodes point to the Season number *you* want them to be in?

At this point I'm vs the world here. I'm a 1 man army vs you guys.

You guys really don't see the point of customizing your own media, that's the point of emby no?

Once again, 3.5.2-4.5.4.0 works, please do not ignore this.

Saying overhaul is not right either, multiple stuff got broke in the major 4.6 update. Just look at the changelog.

roaku
6 minutes ago, gokuz said:

At this point I'm vs the world here. I'm a 1 man army vs you guys.

You guys really don't see the point of customizing your own media, that's the point of emby no?

Once again, 3.5.2-4.5.4.0 works, please do not ignore this.

Saying overhaul is not right either, multiple stuff got broke in the major 4.6 update. Just look at the changelog.

No one has even suggested you stop 'customizing your own media'.

Correct your metadata.

If you want an episode in season 1, don't provide any metadata, anywhere, that says it is in season 2.

Edited by roaku

gokuz
24 minutes ago, justinrh said:

There's one thing I learned from this mess of a post:  use 'e-mail once a week' when selecting a following option!  My e-mail sucked up my monthly allowance of data!  😉

If you read the whole thread, you can see how I'm fighting a losing battle asking for a fix.

Either people are trolling me or just don't get it.

gokuz
3 minutes ago, roaku said:

No one has even suggested you stop 'customizing your own media'.

Correct your metadata.

What about looking at my other thread for a change? 

Simply saying to fix my metadata multiple times now after I said no is extremely not helpful, borderline rude.

You just going to sweep my comment about 3.5.2 to 4.5.4.0 having this feature?

You said overhaul but there's a ton of fixes in the changelog. Please deal with this.

Edited by gokuz