Emby doesn't respect folder location like 4.5.4.0

gokuz

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

It doesn't 'work'. It just happens to break the way you want.

Explain to me why your episode filename and nfo for Season *should* be ignored when you put it in a season folder that doesn't match?

Why is it wrong to ignore the folder instead?

Why shouldn't Emby just ignore the episode entirely because there's no way for the system to know what season the user *really* wants the episode to appear under?

Its not ignored at all. Try 4.5.4.0 and take a look. Nfo is not ignored.

roaku
2 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Its not ignored at all. Try 4.5.4.0 and take a look. Nfo is not ignored.

Again, regardless of how any version of Emby reacts to you telling it an episode belongs in Season 2 *and* Season 1, the error isn't with Emby.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, gokuz said:

You're right. So you're saying luke will fix this bug?

Well not the way you want it as those items wrongly in a Season 1 folder should appear as Season 2 per their given metadata.  They should never show in Season 1 view not matter where they are located.

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

Again, regardless of how any version of Emby reacts to you telling it an episode belongs in Season 2 *and* Season 1, the error isn't with Emby.

Please test 4.5.4.0 EMBY specifically.

I'm hope I'm not talking gibberish here. 4.5.4.0. Test 4.5.4.0

roaku
Just now, gokuz said:

Please test 4.5.4.0 EMBY specifically.

I'm hope I'm not talking gibberish here. 4.5.4.0. Test 4.5.4.0

No. Emby has nothing to do with whether or not Season 2 == Season 1.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Well not the way you want it as those items wrongly in a Season 1 folder should appear as Season 2 per their given metadata.  They should never show in Season 1 view not matter where they are located.

For 2 years its been working this way all along though. Perhaps longer even.

And it was working great for both users like me who utilize it and people who don't like you.

So where's the downside here?

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

No. Emby has nothing to do with whether or not Season 2 == Season 1.

So you're refusing to test 4.5.4.0? Ok. You do you.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

So where's the downside here?

Dev would have to comment but would assume database linking.

Just now, gokuz said:

So you're refusing to test 4.5.4.0? Ok. You do you.

Yes we know it works in previous versions per testing.  But to me that is a bug that should not have worked in my opinion.  But as a tester I/we can can only test so many scenarios and do when specific steps are provided.  But just because a unsupported scenario worked in the past does not mean with will work in the future.

gokuz
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Dev would have to comment but would assume database linking.

Yes we know it works in previous versions per testing.  But to me that is a bug that should not have worked in my opinion.  But as a tester I/we can can only test so many scenarios and do when specific steps are provided.  But just because a unsupported scenario worked in the past does not mean with will work in the future.

Thanks for being honest. I kinda still hope there will be no database linking issue like you said since it was working for 2 years or longer and no one complained about a database linking as far as I know.

You could point me to where this problem was an issue in the past, I searched and failed in finding it.

If you can't find this database linking issue in the past, then it shouldn't be a problem at all right?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by gokuz

Happy2Play

But going forward just like Music using Embedded tags vs folder structure, this will change for Series/Shows, so I can have say a download folder with all episodes in garbage structure and Emby will present them in a nice Series/Season structure.

4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

You could point me to where this problem was an issue in the past, I searched and failed in finding it.

Well it is something that just worked the shouldn't have.  And adding new logic breaks it.  Really no different then all the issues people are having with Music as some want structure and don't care about tags.  But properly tag music will universally work everywhere, episodes are really no different.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But going forward just like Music using Embedded tags vs folder structure, this will change for Series/Shows, so I can have say a download folder with all episodes in garbage structure and Emby will present them in a nice Series/Season structure.

Well it is something that just worked the shouldn't have.  And adding new logic breaks it.  Really no different then all the issues people are having with Music as some want structure and don't care about tags.  But properly tag music will universally work everywhere, episodes are really no different.

But you do agree there's no problems in the past regarding this right? 

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, gokuz said:

But you do agree there's no problems in the past regarding this right? 

Depends on if possible with new logic.  But to me there should have always be a conflict with Season 1 folder and Season 2 metadata.

But in the end it about if @Luke is going to go out of his way to continue allowing this to be fixed and work or say no it is no long possible do the the direction Emby is moving.

gokuz
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Depends on if possible with new logic.  But to me there should have always be a conflict with Season 1 folder and Season 2 metadata.

But in the end it about if @Luke is going to go out of his way to continue allowing this to be fixed and work or say no it is no long possible do the the direction Emby is moving.

Gotcha, I'll wait for @Lukedecision to fix this or not.

Until then I'll continue to use 4.5.4.0, the golden standard.

If we can't test something that is setup valid and break it there is nothing to fix.

Why would we ever want to test a file names S02E01 put in a Season 1 folder with an NFO that's not written correctly that has multiple season and multiple episodes written to it?
The NFO has both a season 2 and a season -1 and an Episode 1 and -1.

What kind of test is that?  It doesn't matter if it ever worked in any version prior because it's invalid info that's contradicting.

The proper test is to put S02E01 either in the series folder if no season folders are used or in Season 2.  The NFO file should not have redundant season/episode data so only the pure "season" and "episode" are used and would be set to 2 and 1 respectfully.

then

After Emby has read in information from the meta-data providers correctly you test changing the season & episode position using the tools Emby gives you which is the meta-data editor.  You then change the season/episode numbers to reposition them where you want them to be and check to see if Emby displays them in the new edited position.  As you edit the meta-data Emby will update the NFO file as well.

then

Once everything at this point is still working correctly and displaying the changes correctly you move the series out of the library scan to remove all reference and put them back followed by a scan and it should go right back to where the user edited it.

OR

You copy this series to a brand new installation and reload a library and it should load this series the same way you edited it to appear.

What I just described from "What kind of test is that?" above is how I tested this and it works for me in both 4.5 to the present 4.7.0.2 version.

The reason I never had a problem is because I followed the naming guide which means:
1) don't use any season folders but put all series episodes in this parent series folder.
2) do use season folders, but put all episodes (as per tvdb) in the folder they show in which means all S01Exx goes into Season 1, all S02Exx go into Season 2, all S03E03 go into Season 3 folder, etc
3) Edit season/episode using the meta-data editor.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2

How to fix this so it works moving forward.

1) Create a working folder outside of your Library called "Detective Conan"
2) Copy all media files from your current setup to this new "Detective Conan" folder so all episodes are in this folder
3) Optionally, verify file names are correct using a tool such as BulkRenamer or Filebot.

This new folder now will only contain media files such as mp4 or mkv with no graphics, no NFO files and no season info so there is nothing to contradict the file naming.
Remove the old version of Detective Conan you have and rescan the library to remove all references to it.
Move this new Detective Conan folder to your TV library set to write NFO files.
Rescan library.  Once scanned in all graphics and season layout will match what you see here
https://thetvdb.com/series/detective-conan

Now go into the meta-data manager and adjust your season/episode positions to be what you want them to be.
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001848783

Done

You can then pick up that folder and copy it to another machine, install 4.5, 4.6 or any newer version of Emby and it will be read in correctly and use the season/episode position you give it.  There is no conflicting information because it's all been removed.

If at that point it doesn't load correctly in a new version you have a BUG that will be fixed because you followed our naming guides, you used our tools to edit the data and Emby wrote the correct NFO files.

It really is as simple as that to bulletproof your setup and make sure it works in all versions.

• Like 2

gokuz
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

2) Copy all media files from your current setup to this new "Detective Conan" folder so all episodes are in this folder
3) Optionally, verify file names are correct using a tool such as BulkRenamer or Filebot.

This new folder now will only contain media files such as mp4 or mkv with no graphics, no NFO files and no season info so there is nothing to contradict the file naming.
Remove the old version of Detective Conan you have and rescan the library to remove all references to it.
Rescan library.  Once scanned in all graphics and season layout will match what you see here

Now go into the meta-data manager and adjust your season/episode positions to be what you want them to be.

Done

You can then pick up that folder and copy it to another machine, install 4.5, 4.6 or any newer version of Emby and it will be read in correctly and use the season/episode position you give it.  There is no conflicting information because it's all been removed.

If at that point it doesn't load correctly in a new version you have a BUG that will be fixed because you followed our naming guides, you used our tools to edit the data and Emby wrote the correct NFO files.

It really is as simple as that to bulletproof your setup and make sure it works in all versions.

Rather than doing a wall of text. The least you could do is test 4.5.4.0. Let me know after you tested it.

Until then, I'll stick with 4.5.4.0.

• Sad 1

Again and test what?  You want me to setup a file named S02E01, put it in season 1, have a corresponding NFO file that also says Season 2 Episode 1 as well as season -1 and episode -1 and verify it loads in season 1? Why?  It's ridiculous to expect any outcome at all. It could load in -1, 1 or 2 and any of those choices could be considered correct because you have some information saying that.

So you essentially want me to intentionally to break things about 4 different ways to prove 4.6 handles it different than 4.5?  I'm sure it does.  I'm also sure if you install a brand new 4.5 install on another machine and copy that folder over and scan it in, you have a high likely hood of it being different as well. But even that proves nothing because except maybe the same version interpreted the mass of conflicting information the same way incorrectly.

We have been over this time and time again.  Regardless of what it did on your system this isn't something we are going to support or even attempt to support.  It's a wall of conflicting information full of ambiguity. Fix YOUR data. Spend the 10 to 15 minutes it takes to fix it and be done with it.

The problem in not in 4.5, 4.6 or any Emby version but in the setup of the series.

Why can't you just cleanup your files, do things proper as has been said over the last 10 pages, in our KB articles, by devs, moderators, tech support and every user who has commented?

Why do you insist on trying to use data that is around 4 way conflicting and wrong? It was a fluke if it ever worked.  It didn't work by intention or by design. It surely won't be supported on purpose no matter how many times we go in circles here. It's just a wrong setup that is easy to correct

The issue is the data itself. Clean up your data with the 10 to 15 minutes it will take.

Clean up YOUR files so they make sense and don't have conflicting information and the world be right again for you regardless of Emby Server version you run.

Maybe we need to add a fix to upcoming server versions so when conflicting meta-data is encountered during a scan the media is rejected and  logged with an explanation. This way the user must fix the problem before the media will load. 

• Like 1

gokuz
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

The problem in not in 4.5, 4.6 or any Emby version but in the setup of the series.

Problem is 4.6 only. Not 4.5.

Just test it, you will see what I mean. 

• Sad 2

The problem is your data not the software.

You have not demonstrated any problem with 4.6 other than it loads your mismatch of meta-data differently then 4.5 did. This is understandable as you're feeding it 3 different seasons for a single episode. If Emby uses any of those three season it did it's job.  Doesn't matter if it's different in 4.5 or 4.6 as it is just using your data and if you give it 3 choices it gets to pick. :)

The next version of the software could pick yet a different season if you give it choices.

Fix your data and demonstrate that 4.6 is loading it wrong.  Simple as that. If you have meta-data with two or more seasons listed and Emby displays that episode in either of the season it's doing it's job. This is operator error not a software issue.

If your meta-data only has one season and Emby loads it in other season, BUG.

CBers

I feel for you @cayars, repeatedly going round in circles 🙄

@gokuz You need to amend your metadata so that it will work with v4.6 and all versions going forward, as you are not going to get the fix you want, as there is nothing to fix.

You was fortunate to exploit a bug that has been in Emby for many versions, which Luke has now fixed in v4.6, so you need to fall in line with the new standard.

There is no point continually bleating on about it needing fixing, as there is nothing to fix.

I have not tested with v4.5.4 and will not, but having read all 10 pages of this thread so far, it's clear where the problem is.

Have a good day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Armageus
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Done

Underrated post - the amount of patience needed to fully describe a solution that will work now and for every version going forward, whilst the OP is too ignorant to read it.

Presumably after editing the metadata how a user would want it, you would then Lock the Metadata for that Series?

You surely could lock the season/episode fields if you change them which would be a good idea for this specific case just to make sure no future rescan or refresh will change them.

gokuz
13 minutes ago, Armageus said:

Underrated post - the amount of patience needed to fully describe a solution that will work now and for every version going forward, whilst the OP is too ignorant to read it.

You assume I didn't read it. Isn't that ignorant too?

5 minutes ago, cayars said:

You surely could lock the season/episode fields if you change them which would be a good idea for this specific case just to make sure no future rescan or refresh will change them.

Your advice doesn't apply to NFO. How do I change season number and episode number in NFO? 

If you have a batch way to do it, I'm all ears. 

16 minutes ago, CBers said:

as there is nothing to fix.

If there's nothing to fix, I wouldn't make this thread would I.

CBers
Just now, gokuz said:

If there's nothing to fix, I wouldn't make this thread would I.

Fine, so stay with what you have and stop going on that it's broken.

As previously stated, you are exploiting a bug in v4.5.4, which has been fixed in v4.6, so deal with it.

The amount of time you have spent posting in this thread, you could have amended your metadata so that it conforms to v4.6.

You're also wasting other people's time by not listening to them.

Why not test in v4.6 what people have told you to do and then come back and report your results, with evidence.

Have a good day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Armageus
6 minutes ago, gokuz said:

You assume I didn't read it. Isn't that ignorant too?

Ah so you read it and then ignored it? :lol:

• Agree 1