Emby doesn't respect folder location like 4.5.4.0

gokuz

I don't care how it worked in version 2 ,3, 4 but only how it should work.

I'm willing to help you but you have to put in effort as well to supply what is asked.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Assuming they all match up rename S01E01 thru S01E976 and put in season one folder and change Display order from Aired to Absolute.  Assuming everything lines up.

名探偵コナン - 追跡! 探偵タクシー - TheTVDB.com

But putting episode in wrong season will no longer work.  Or you apply all new naming and metadata to accommodate what you want with proper folder level season numbering.

1 minute ago, gokuz said:

But this folder structure works in 4.5.4.0. 

As already stated a bug that you have been able to exploit until now.

gokuz
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Assuming they all match up rename S01E01 thru S01E976 and put in season one folder and change Display order from Aired to Absolute.  Assuming everything lines up.

名探偵コナン - 追跡! 探偵タクシー - TheTVDB.com

But putting episode in wrong season will no longer work.  Or you apply all new naming and metadata to accommodate what you want with proper folder level season numbering.

As already stated a bug that you have been able to exploit until now.

Not only 4.5.4.0. Since 3.5.2 or longer.

How is it a bug if there's no record of a problem whatsoever in the past?

gokuz
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

I don't care how it worked in version 2 ,3, 4 but only how it should work.

I'm willing to help you but you have to put in effort as well to supply what is asked.

How it should work is using TVDB overlords's chosen way.

Are you making me say the sheep word again.

Happy2Play

Okay not a bug defect in all previous version, something that just happened to work that never should have and was not reported as a defect in previous versions.  Now the new database layout will not accommodate this defect that you have identify. 

Asked and answered at least a dozen times in this thread.

I'm done here for now as there is nothing more I can offer if suggestions aren't going to be heard or used to try and improve or fix the situation.
If and when you decide you would actually like help and want to try what we suggest feel free to send me a PM and I'll help you.

Otherwise I wish you best of luck, but I'm done as there is nothing more for me to offer.

• Like 5

CBers
59 minutes ago, gokuz said:

I'm working with emby, 4.5.4.0 works perfectly. I found a bug in 4.6, which you guys refuse to acknowledge.

There is no bug in v4.6, which you are refusing to acknowledge.

Work with @Cayars if you want a resolution, or stay with what you have and never upgrade Emby again.

Have a nice day.

• Agree 2

gokuz
41 minutes ago, CBers said:

There is no bug in v4.6, which you are refusing to acknowledge.

Great to know 4.6 is "bugless", 

image.thumb.png.4b39f7b9136b1682d28e486e41f58e11.png

image.png.6bc47f7f87fab4e7214db132360b92f7.png

image.png.87ad164d32b7f0bd53d079d2b972a617.png

I don't know what is bug in your definition anymore.

47 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm done here for now as there is nothing more I can offer if suggestions aren't going to be heard or used to try and improve or fix the situation.
If and when you decide you would actually like help and want to try what we suggest feel free to send me a PM and I'll help you.

I literally asked for your help and gave you the folder structure. Funny how you gave up after I showed you the file structure. Not as easy now as you expected huh.

Can tell how the energy sapped out of you after I showed you the long list. I'll be sticking to 4.5.4.0

49 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Okay not a bug defect in all previous version, something that just happened to work that never should have and was not reported as a defect in previous versions.  Now the new database layout will not accommodate this defect that you have identify. 

Exactly my point. There was nothing wrong with it to warrant a report/defect. Its working for EVERYONE. Why fix it if it ain't broke!

Edited by gokuz
  • Sad 1

Armageus
45 minutes ago, gokuz said:

I literally asked for your help and gave you the folder structure. Funny how you gave up after I showed you the file structure. Not as easy now as you expected huh.

Your folder structure is literally throwing away whatever organisation TVDB and Emby want to do - you will need to go fully custom to be able to cope with this

45 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Can tell how the energy sapped out of you after I showed you the long list. I'll be sticking to 4.5.4.0

Nope - you've sapped the energy out of everyone by continuing to ignore advice given that will fix this problem your library (dis)organisation has created

46 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Exactly my point. There was nothing wrong with it to warrant a report/defect. Its working for EVERYONE. Why fix it if it ain't broke!

Because noone has encountered it, as everyone else follows sane guidelines for ensuring their naming/folder structure/metadata makes sense.

It's obviously been fixed as going forward it affects something, (that will affect everyone) but you are too stupid to see that.

I'm out - I wish anyone else who replies luck

• Like 1

gokuz
2 minutes ago, Armageus said:

Your folder structure is literally throwing away whatever organisation TVDB and Emby want to do - you will need to go fully custom to be able to cope with this

Nope - you've sapped the energy out of everyone by continuing to ignore advice given that will fix this problem your library (dis)organisation has created

Because noone has encountered it, as everyone else follows sane guidelines for ensuring their naming/folder structure/metadata makes sense.

It's obviously been fixed as going forward it affects something, (that will affect everyone) but you are too stupid to see that.

I'm out - I wish anyone else who replies luck

Sure, everything you said is true if it doesn't work on 4.5.4.0. But it does, perfectly in fact.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Happy2Play
On 6/8/2021 at 6:19 PM, pünktchen said:

For me it works perfectly in 4.7.0.2 with online metadata disabled and existing nfo files. Neither the filename, nor the season folder does matter! Only the numbers from inside the nfo are used to show the episode in the specified season. And that is the correct behaviour imho.

Episode "Wahre Freundschaft" is not shown under season one because the nfo has <season>2</season>:

Picture1.bmp 6.59 MB · 0 downloads

wrong_number.thumb.PNG.629968f07431abb9d2363b2098f0eed4.PNG

Either by using <displayseason> (or by changing it to <season>1</season>) the episode is shown under season one:

Picture2.bmp 6.56 MB · 1 download

correct_number.thumb.PNG.ae3e40f2dd7d46fcd08d1319205a01c6.PNG

I did get this to work on one test system and not another with using proper displayseason and displayepisode, only difference that I know of is one was a updated database (didn't work) and one was a clean install ie new database (worked).  But looking at the table all the information looked the same to me.

But having -1 in both fields does fail on both systems.

pünktchen

Just a small sidenote: -1 for displayseason or displayepisode does not mean to subtract one from season or episode. It means displayseason or displayepisode has to be ignored. It should be handled like those tags do not exist.

gokuz
14 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Just a small sidenote: -1 for displayseason or displayepisode does not mean to subtract one from season or episode. It means displayseason or displayepisode has to be ignored. It should be handled like those tags do not exist.

Yea when I was starting out that made me confused, now I just omit them. Simpler to just use seasons and episodes.

pwhodges

I've been away for a day, and there's too much of this thread to read every page of.  But I noticed a mention of anime, and specifically of Monogatari.

First off, there is no systematic problem with anime; name your files to match your metadata provider's expectations (TVDB in my case) and it will all be fine (trust me, I've got a lot, and I know).  Except... Monogatari is royally messed up in TVDB (and the other providers, too).  You have to do something manually to get a sensible display.

I have described elsewhere how I got Monogatari the way I wanted - basically by doing what the OP of this thread did (but without NFO files).  It worked OK in 4.5.4.  However, every time I described what I did (to help others) I mentioned that it was unsupported, and might break.  So comes 4.6, and guess what? - it broke.  One aspect of it was quickly improved, but now to get what I want I have gone through the following process:

(1) Let Emby use the TVDB names to get the metadata, but then put it together in TVDB's nonsensical manner;
(2) Create the necessary Season folders, and move the files where I want them (but Emby still displays them "wrong");
(3) Go through the episodes editing the metadata to specify the season and episode numbers I want, and lock the metadata for each episode as it's changed.

Result - the files still have the TVDB-matching names, but are now both contained and displayed in non-matching season folders, as I wanted, with no fuss because I locked them there.  Describing that took less than twelve pages of posts, and should be as adaptable to the OP's requirements as to mine.

Paul

• Like 4

roaku
18 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Result - the files still have the TVDB-matching names, but are now both contained and displayed in non-matching season folders, as I wanted, with no fuss because I locked them there.  Describing that took less than twelve pages of posts, and should be as adaptable to the OP's requirements as to mine.

Paul

This solution has been described to the user in multiple ways, and technical support has gone so far as to offer to do it for them.

There are twelve pages because the user has had a lot of offers of help to reply 'no' to.

Edited by roaku

gokuz
21 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I've been away for a day, and there's too much of this thread to read every page of.  But I noticed a mention of anime, and specifically of Monogatari.

First off, there is no systematic problem with anime; name your files to match your metadata provider's expectations (TVDB in my case) and it will all be fine (trust me, I've got a lot, and I know).  Except... Monogatari is royally messed up in TVDB (and the other providers, too).  You have to do something manually to get a sensible display.

I have described elsewhere how I got Monogatari the way I wanted - basically by doing what the OP of this thread did (but without NFO files).  It worked OK in 4.5.4.  However, every time I described what I did (to help others) I mentioned that it was unsupported, and might break.  So comes 4.6, and guess what? - it broke.  One aspect of it was quickly improved, but now to get what I want I have gone through the following process:

(1) Let Emby use the TVDB names to get the metadata, but then put it together in TVDB's nonsensical manner;
(2) Create the necessary Season folders, and move the files where I want them (but Emby still displays them "wrong");
(3) Go through the episodes editing the metadata to specify the season and episode numbers I want, and lock the metadata for each episode as it's changed.

Paul

I can adapt to this like you but I have no options here unless you have a tool to batch rename the contents of nfo files.

Specifically the seasons and episodes.

Besides doing them manually for 900 episodes individually, hope you saw the file list I posted, you could say its a very daunting process.

I'm not a fan of getting our stuff being fine 1 day, and then new update comes just to get punch in the nuts for all the work you have done.

Especially, one that's not too much to ask. This problem I have has been in EMBY since 3.5.2, that's 2 years of customizing. 

Its definitely a bug that needs to be looked at. This "bug" that people spoke off was the sole reason i switched from plex.

I'm not asking for the world here. The code is available in 4.5.4.0, its not that far. Luke could have easily take a look at it and give us a verdict if its possible to fix this.

Instead, let the little guy get punched and bullied out of the court. I have little to no faith in this community.

gokuz
12 minutes ago, roaku said:

This solution has been described to the user in multiple ways, and technical support has gone so far as to offer to do it for them.

There are twelve pages because the user has had a lot of help to reply 'no' to.

The solution is to get a fix for 4.6.x.x. The rest are band aids which are not ideal at all.

Rather than band aids, I'll rather just use 4.5.40 which is perfectly fine.

I'll wait till luke finally decides to respond to this 12 page thread.

roaku
10 minutes ago, gokuz said:

The solution is to get a fix for 4.6.x.x. The rest are band aids which are not ideal at all.

Rather than band aids, I'll rather just use 4.5.40 which is perfectly fine.

I'll wait till luke finally decides to respond to this 12 page thread.

There is no fix for 2 not being equal to 1. It's just physics.

rodainas

Just batch rename your episode files as aired order using tvdb (Season 1, Season 2, etc.) or as absolute order using tvdb or moviedb (S01E01 till S01E1007), then if you want to create your own nfos automatically use a scrapper like tiny media manager and let it scrape the 1007 episodes in accordance to the provider if using tvdb it needs to be aired order (tiny media manager doesnt use absolute order), but tmdb by default has this anime as absolute order, so if you want to use absolute order with tiny media manager you can use tmdb, I had it in absolute order metadata provided by themoviedb.

image.png.03be357c4198ee752455ffd3a4ba9674.png

image.thumb.png.64c9cda5dfb1b1d07c6b8167788b3d46.png

image.thumb.png.7baf3d02058f4ca3752f083fee6626b5.png

Scrapped with themoviedb using tiny media manager.

Edited by rodainas

roaku

In terms of a feature request that would be officially supported, I would describe this as wanting a user defined logical grouping that's independent of the well defined concept of television Seasons.

That way, a user could have the accurate 'official' Season and Episode metadata, but would be able to tell their Emby Server they want it grouped according to some 'grouping' field they can use to override the official Season data.

Similar to the parental rating/custom rating behavior.

gokuz
17 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Just batch rename your episode files as aired order using tvdb (Season 1, Season 2, etc.) or as absolute order using tvdb or moviedb (S01E01 till S01E1007), then if you want to create your own nfos automatically use a scrapper like tiny media manager and let it scrape the 1007 episodes in accordance to the provider if using tvdb it needs to be aired order (tiny media manager doesnt use absolute order), but tmdb by default has this anime as absolute order, so if you want to use absolute order with tiny media manager you can use tmdb, I had it in absolute order metadata provided by themoviedb.

image.png.03be357c4198ee752455ffd3a4ba9674.png

image.thumb.png.64c9cda5dfb1b1d07c6b8167788b3d46.png

image.thumb.png.7baf3d02058f4ca3752f083fee6626b5.png

Scrapped with themoviedb using tiny media manager.

This is what I'd like to avoid, 1000 episodes of scrolling is torture.

If I do it this way, and put it in Season 1, Season 2, Season 3 - Season 25 Folders for 25 years, It will be the same problem as mine.

Back to square 1

gokuz
17 minutes ago, roaku said:

In terms of a feature request that would be officially supported, I would describe this as wanting a user defined logical grouping that's independent of the well defined concept of television Seasons.

That way, a user could have the accurate 'official' Season and Episode metadata, but would be able to tell their Emby Server they want it grouped according to some 'grouping' field they can use to override the official Season data.

Similar to the parental rating/custom rating behavior.

Why imagine new stuff when its already available in 4.5.4.0?

You're really that allergic to 4.5.4.0?

gokuz
26 minutes ago, roaku said:

There is no fix for 2 not being equal to 1. It's just physics.

Exactly, This happens only in 4.6.x.x 

Doesn't happen in 4.5.4.0

rodainas

You can use the other option I listed then, you want seasons, use tvdb, you want to scrape everything automatically, use a bulk renamer for episodes by season, you want automatically created nfos, use a third party scrapper like tmm or the built in with emby.

gokuz
2 minutes ago, rodainas said:

You can use the other option I listed then, you want seasons, use tvdb, you want to scrape everything automatically, use a bulk renamer for episodes by season, you want automatically created nfos, use a third party scrapper like tmm or the built in with emby.

What you said doesn't work in 4.6.x.x

Give it a try, I already did, therefore making this post.

This only works in 4.5.4.0