Emby doesn't respect folder location like 4.5.4.0

gokuz

5 minutes ago, gokuz said:

I don't know if you're trolling or just ignorant honestly.

Its about 4.5.4.0 vs 4.6.2.0. Please read again if you do not understand.

You show us it displaying in season 2 as episode 1 and the NFO says the same thing.
Since you're supplying the NFO file that's what Emby is going to read in regardless of where it resides on disc.

The location on disc really isn't needed to help identify the show/episode because you've provided it in the NFO file.
If you want it to display in a different season then edit the metadata/NFO file to set the folder you want it to display in.

But right now, but all counts, it is doing what it should be doing from everything you're showing us.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, gokuz said:

I don't know if you're trolling or just ignorant honestly.

Its about 4.5.4.0 vs 4.6.2.0. Please read again if you do not understand.

Hi.  You keep saying it is "broken" because the previous version did what you wanted.  What we are telling you is the previous version is what was broken.  The metadata you are providing is determining where this episode displays.  The folder it is in does not override the metadata.  If the previous version was allowing this to happen, that was what was broken and it has been fixed.

I know that's not what you want but does that make sense?

Why not just move that episode to the proper season folder?

• Agree 1

gokuz
38 minutes ago, cayars said:

You show us it displaying in season 2 as episode 1 and the NFO says the same thing.
Since you're supplying the NFO file that's what Emby is going to read in regardless of where it resides on disc.

The location on disc really isn't needed to help identify the show/episode because you've provided it in the NFO file.
If you want it to display in a different season then edit the metadata/NFO file to set the folder you want it to display in.

But right now, but all counts, it is doing what it should be doing from everything you're showing us.

In the first post I showed the difference between 4.5.4.0 and 4.6.2.0. Its not behaving the same way as you said it in 4.5.4.0

33 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You keep saying it is "broken" because the previous version did what you wanted.  What we are telling you is the previous version is what was broken.  The metadata you are providing is determining where this episode displays.  The folder it is in does not override the metadata.  If the previous version was allowing this to happen, that was what was broken and it has been fixed.

I know that's not what you want but does that make sense?

Why not just move that episode to the proper season folder?

Previously I pointed out, in a different thread, that folder naming was broken in 4.5.4.0 and 4.6.2.0 is the "fixed" version. @Luke fixed it in no time after numerous naysayers.

Here, I point out a similar instance how emby behaves differently in the latest version. So, to my credit I hope this gets fixed back to how it worked in 4.5.4.0.

Again, having episodes OUTSIDE of the folder doesn't make sense at all. Its like pointing symlink or strm. Please fix this.

21 minutes ago, gokuz said:

I hope this gets fixed back to how it worked in 4.5.4.0.

That won't happen because it is currently working correctly.

In 4.6 you can edit the season/episode number to get the media to load where you want.  In 4.6 the NFO/Metadata edited is respected properly.  <-- This is how it should work.

gokuz
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

That won't happen because it is currently working correctly.

In 4.6 you can edit the season/episode number to get the media to load where you want.  In 4.6 the NFO/Metadata edited is respected properly.  <-- This is how it should work.

I know you're helpful in replying posts/threads which I appreciate but I have to disagree on this.

In my previous thread, you keep on saying the same thing, "I'm doing it wrong", but @Luke managed to fix it.

So, having it doing it right or wrong depends on what @Luke or the dev will say. I hope he sides with me as I use this on most of my anime. I don't see any bad side to bring this back from 4.5.4.0. What's the bad side? So, why not fix it?

To add to the previous post, current development is on the 4.6 branch so if this version isn't respecting meta-data or NFO file season/episode information correctly by all means show us where/how it's not working.

But in 4.6 it should display media based on what the meta-data shows.

gokuz

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

To add to the previous post, current development is on the 4.6 branch so if this version isn't respecting meta-data or NFO file season/episode information correctly by all means show us where/how it's not working.

But in 4.6 it should display media based on what the meta-data shows.

Yes of course it should show metadata but it should also respect the folder its in.

4.6.x.x  removes checking which episodes belong to which folders which is a step back/flaw.

Please fix it like it was in 4.5.4.0. I see no downsides to fixing it tb, so why not

You seem to be stuck on folder structure determining where something shows.  It doesn't. It has never intentionally been this way.

Folder structure is used to help identify a show/episode, not determine where it actually displays although typically they are one and the same. But you can also use a flat folder structure or no seasons at all which is just as valid but may not give as clean of meta-data matchups.  Folder structure is there to help identify the episodes, full stop after that's done.

If you have a file located in Season 4 folder but want it to show in Season 1 then you edit the metadata for that episode and change it.  It will then display where the meta-data tells it to.  Where it is on disc doesn't matter at that point.

So you can have your files display in any Season you want if you edit the meta-data which is the controlling factor.

Theoretically once you have an NFO file you could move a file from "The Big Bang Theory" and move it to "Two and a Half Men" folder and it will still play back correctly in The Big Bang Theory after a scan is done. During that scan no ID needs to be done because you have a matching media file and NFO file so the info in the NFO is used not the folder structure and in this example not even the show folder will matter.

This is how/why you can use STRM files for crossover episodes when you use an NFO file with them because you are manually telling Emby what season/episode it is or where it should be displayed.

This is actually the way it worked for me on 4.5 as well. Folder structure didn't matter then either (for me) with NFO files.

gokuz
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

You seem to be stuck on folder structure determining where something shows.  It doesn't. It has never intentionally been this way.

Folder structure is used to help identify a show/episode, not determine where it actually displays although typically they are one and the same. But you can also use a flat folder structure or no seasons at all which is just as valid but may not give as clean of meta-data matchups.  Folder structure is there to help identify the episodes, full stop after that's done.

If you have a file located in Season 4 folder but want it to show in Season 1 then you edit the metadata for that episode and change it.  It will then display where the meta-data tells it to.  Where it is on disc doesn't matter at that point.

So you can have your files display in any Season you want if you edit the meta-data which is the controlling factor.

Theoretically once you have an NFO file you could move a file from "The Big Bang Theory" and move it to "Two and a Half Men" folder and it will still play back correctly in The Big Bang Theory after a scan is done. During that scan no ID needs to be done because you have a matching media file and NFO file so the info in the NFO is used not the folder structure and in this example not even the show folder will matter.

This is how/why you can use STRM files for crossover episodes when you use an NFO file with them because you are manually telling Emby what season/episode it is or where it should be displayed.

This is actually the way it worked for me on 4.5 as well. Folder structure didn't matter then either (for me) with NFO files.

I'm on 4.5.4.0 and this is not true at all, I gave you proof that its behaving differently.

Would you be able to PM me your library.db from 4.5.4.0 so we can take a look at it?
If so shutdown Emby and copy the library.db file out then you can restart Emby.

gokuz
Just now, cayars said:

Would you be able to PM me your library.db from 4.5.4.0 so we can take a look at it?
If so shutdown Emby and copy the library.db file out then you can restart Emby.

Is there really a need for this?

You can easily replicate this in 4.5.4.0. E.g. Just put your shows starting with episode 5.

That's the thing, I can't replicate what you're saying but I'm trying to so I can understand.

The library.db would show all this information and how it would look on screen so that's why I'd like to take a look at it.

Your library.db doesn't have any account info, usernames, passwords in it which is a different DB so no worries about anything like that.

gokuz
Just now, cayars said:

That's the thing, I can't replicate what you're saying but I'm trying to so I can understand.

The library.db would show all this information and how it would look on screen so that's why I'd like to take a look at it.

Your library.db doesn't have any account info, usernames, passwords in it which is a different DB so no worries about anything like that.

If you're really interested in testing, just move your current show episodes. 

Example, episode S02E01-04 goes to Season 1. Now season 2 starts with S02E05.

No need for me to share stuff that's easily replicable don't you think?

No because I can't reproduce as said already, which is why we'd like to look at the database.

We're trying to be helpful here to see what could be different. But without looking at the database, we're kind of at a dead end in what we can do.

gokuz
47 minutes ago, cayars said:

No because I can't reproduce as said already, which is why we'd like to look at the database.

We're trying to be helpful here to see what could be different. But without looking at the database, we're kind of at a dead end in what we can do.

Have you tried it on 4.5.4.0?

2 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Have you tried it on 4.5.4.0?

Yes

NFO what?

Do you want to send us your library.db so we can review why you system is handling this differently or not?

gokuz
Just now, cayars said:

NFO what?

Do you want to send us your library.db so we can review why you system is handling this differently or not?

Its not different. Are you using nfo for your said test on 4.5.4.0?

Yes with NFOs.
But there is nothing more for us to do without being able to look at the 4.5 database so I'm done here unless something new is posted.

gokuz
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes with NFOs.
But there is nothing more for us to do without being able to look at the 4.5 database so I'm done here unless something new is posted.

I took your advice and flashed a new sd card on my pi.

Fresh os.

New emby 4.5.4.0

Made 1 library.

Did the test like i said above, season 2 eps1-4 goes to season1.

Yea it behaves like I said.

I don't know what you're trying here buddy. I suspect you're lying to me about testing. Please show me otherwise, proof that you did the test.

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, gokuz said:

Example, episode S02E01-04 goes to Season 1. Now season 2 starts with S02E05.

6 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Did the test like i said above, season 2 eps1-4 goes to season1.

If that happened then that would be a bug in the previous version.

But will do some testing when I get back.

gokuz
Just now, Happy2Play said:

If that happened then that would be a bug in the previous version.

But will do some testing when I get back.

Thanks for testing it. Episode belongs correctly to the proper folders in 4.5.4.0. To me, its not a bug.

Happy2Play

To me both versions are wrong in this scenario.  One has a slightly different order at season level but that is it.

Both versions show episodes in wrong season folder in both seasons in the UI in both 4.5 and 4.6.

But at the same time there has never been true support for this situation of wrong episodes in season folders.

4.5 Season 1

4.5_s1.thumb.jpg.2c1c54d15ad2373b13a08c43aec2c513.jpg

4.5 Season 2

4_5s2.thumb.jpg.81c82f5439b3881ac15d892a99ab23ee.jpg

So episode is counted twice, once in Season 1 and in Season 2.  This happened in both 4.5 and 4.6

Only difference I get is episode order in 4.6 where there are episodes that don't belong.

257253612_4.6order.thumb.jpg.5f7995bc5931d661893c5dd9ce45408b.jpg

Both show this

season.jpg.a9c2f0481a6fab119323cf3a409f72d6.jpg

Season 1 does have 3 item even though only 2 are truly Season 1

Season 2 has 1 physical item but do to naming shows S02E01-E06 item also.

So in my opinion BOTH versions are defective when it comes to this scenario.  Unsupported

Edited by Happy2Play

@Happy2Play did you move files that already had proper NFO files with correct meta-data in them?  When I do this as mentioned many times it really doesn't matter where the files are moved to on my system as they have already been IDed.

If it's new files (no NFO) then I too get strange results like you see which is unsupported and likely a side effect of trying to support flat folders as well as seasons.