VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

VicMoore

I am using VirtualTV.0.9.2.1 on a Nvidia Shield and have experienced excellent results. I am running 12 channels. Some are movies and others are TV shows. I know that this project is in development so I would like to mention what doesn't work as expected. The main problem is that the first 6 channels frequently lose the TV guide. Refreshing the guide from Emby followed by resetting the shield sometimes restores the guide for some of the channels, but not all. If I watch VirtualTV from a PC, I can see the guide on all channels.

This is a great plugin and I use it every day.

thanks, Vic

jblaze12
5 hours ago, VicMoore said:

The main problem is that the first 6 channels frequently lose the TV guide. Refreshing the guide from Emby followed by resetting the shield sometimes restores the guide for some of the channels, but not all. If I watch VirtualTV from a PC, I can see the guide on all channels.

I have the same exact issue (shield 2017).

-Edit

Just wanted to add, I just discovered playlist mode for the channels and it's the very best of both worlds of a virtual tv channel and being able to skip an episode or rewind/restart etc. I'm extremely happy with this plugin. Is there a patron or something to donate to?

Edited by jblaze12

VicMoore
10 hours ago, jblaze12 said:

-Edit

Just wanted to add, I just discovered playlist mode for the channels and it's the very best of both worlds of a virtual tv channel and being able to skip an episode or rewind/restart etc. I'm extremely happy with this plugin. Is there a patron or something to donate to?

I discovered a work around when VirtualTV loses the Guide. I just space ahead in the guide to a later time and all of the lost data appears when I space back to the original time. 

I have not tried the playlist mode. What does it do?

thanks, Vic

jblaze12

Vic, at first I didn't really understand the difference of the settings until I started tinkering. The Playlist mode fits me best because its the best of both worlds for viewing.

In Playlist mode I can select a channel, have the video play immediately instead of my synology having to reencode and I can ff or rw, jump to next episode or previous. When I leave and come back to the channel the schedule remains. The only downside side (which i will never use) is in Playlist mode the guide quickview button is gone

In the original mode the loading times were a bit long and it was a bummer when an episode came on for a channel and I had to exit out and go to a regular Playlist.

On a side note: have you had any issues with the shield loading videos slowly? My phone and computer both load any videos much faster (like 1-2 sec)  where on my shield it loads around 5-6 sec. There are a million reasons why it could be happening, just curious if you ran into that too. Shield hard plugged to server (4 ft away).

Edited by jblaze12

VicMoore
10 hours ago, jblaze12 said:

1 hour ago, jblaze12 said:

Vic, at first I didn't really understand the difference of the settings until I started tinkering. The Playlist mode fits me best because its the best of both worlds for viewing.

In Playlist mode I can select a channel, have the video play immediately instead of my synology having to reencode and I can ff or rw, jump to next episode or previous. When I leave and come back to the channel the schedule remains. The only downside side (which i will never use) is in Playlist mode the guide quickview button is gone

In the original mode the loading times were a bit long and it was a bummer when an episode came on for a channel and I had to exit out and go to a regular Playlist.

On a side note: have you had any issues with the shield loading videos slowly? My phone and computer both load any videos much faster (like 1-2 sec)  where on my shield it loads around 5-6 sec. There are a million reasons why it could be happening, just curious if you ran into that too. Shield hard plugged to server (4 ft away).

1 hour ago, jblaze12 said:

-Edit

I discovered a work around when VirtualTV loses the Guide. I just space ahead in the guide to a later time and all of the lost data appears when I space back to the original time. 

I have not tried the playlist mode. What does it do?

thanks, Vic

VicMoore

Thanks Jblaze12 for the reply. Yes I also experience long load times. I am using a new Nvidia Shield and a Synology NAS. They and the TV's I am using are all directly connected. Tonight I will change to Playlist mode and compare it's performance to what I have experienced the past few days. I will post how things go.

Thanks again, Vic

warrentc3

@pünktchen thank you for bringing this as a plugin to Emby.

This may be somewhere in the 36 pages of this thread (maybe a Git Wiki) ?

If I wanted to make a Crime/Thriller movie channel and exclude the Comedy & Adventure genres... is this the correct parameter to use?

!Comedy!Adventure&&(Crime||Thriller)

pünktchen
13 hours ago, warrentc3 said:

If I wanted to make a Crime/Thriller movie channel and exclude the Comedy & Adventure genres... is this the correct parameter to use?

!Comedy!Adventure&&(Crime||Thriller)

!(Comedy||Adventure)&&(Crime||Thriller)

• Thanks 1

pünktchen

@warrentc3 @VicMoore i only occasionaly use the app on my Shield, but never experienced your guide problems. For sure it's app related, so maybe report it in the Android section of the forum.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, rayw said:

Thanks for the info, I'll await your update and then set my channels up properly.

Having moved from Kodi to Emby I was really missing PseudoTV, but your plugin here looks fantastic from what I have used of it. Very easy to set up and a lovely enhancement to my setup. Thanks for your work.

I would love to know how you got this to work in Kodi.

When I try to open a virtual channel (in Kodi) I get a spinner for a few seconds then nothing; live tv channels work fine.

pünktchen
59 minutes ago, tuvx said:

I would love to know how you got this to work in Kodi.

When I try to open a virtual channel (in Kodi) I get a spinner for a few seconds then nothing; live tv channels work fine.

I'm using the IPTV Simple pvr addon in Kodi. You can import guide and channels there with the url's that are explained under the Export section of the plugin config.

Ok, I will give it a shot.

I was able to get them playing by switching to continuous mode, but all videos stutter (I checked the server and there is barely any GPU or CPU usage).

1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

I'm using the IPTV Simple pvr addon in Kodi. You can import guide and channels there with the url's that are explained under the Export section of the plugin config.

Thank you for the tip, it worked. Any idea why 480p content stutters? I have tried Playlist and Continuous Playback (Live) without success.

pünktchen

Playlist only works with Emby apps, it will fallback to Continous Mode with the Export feature. Why your channels do stutter, i don't know. I have many 480p tv shows and they run butter smooth. What video codec have your files?

6 hours ago, pünktchen said:

What video codec have your files?

A couple examples of problem videos which are unwatchable (will play choppy for a bit, then smooth, then I'll get a "Buffering" message, more choppy, etc). When playing the same video normally there are no issues.

Title480p MPEG2VIDEO
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level8
Resolution720x480
Aspect Ratio279:157
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.97
Bitrate5,202 kbps
Bit Depth8 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p
Reference Frames1

Title480i MPEG2VIDEO
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level8
Resolution720x480
Aspect Ratio4:3
InterlacedYes
Framerate29.97
Bitrate4,698 kbps
Bit Depth8 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p
Reference Frames1

Edited by tuvx

Well, that was a simple fix. I changed the setting for Accelerate h264 on for only HD and up.

This is a great plugin, and glad someone took the initiative to create!

• Like 1

pünktchen

@tuvx btw. if you use Kodi Matrix and the Kodi skin supports it, you can also start the shows from the beginning. Further to the switch to channel button there's a play button in the context menu or details screen if you enable catchup in the pvr addon.

crusher11
On 1/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, pünktchen said:

@crusher11 Give this a try: VirtualTV.0.9.2.1.zip I think i've fixed it finally.

Yes, that's fixed it. But now the OSD doesn't disappear automatically at the start of playback, I have to press the arrow keys on the remote to get it to go away. 

pünktchen
11 hours ago, crusher11 said:

But now the OSD doesn't disappear automatically at the start of playback

That's definitely not something the plugin can influence.

pünktchen

New version 0.9.4 in the starting post:

General:

• Some nice visual improvements to the config screen

Channels:

• Add condition for parental rating
  • Add condition for runtime
  • Add options to control number of episodes and movies for channel type "Mixed Content" and "TVShows"

Playback:

• Fixed clearing of resume points in "Playlist" playback mode and make it an option

Unfortunately you have to start from scratch with this update!

• Like 1