MB Plus Discussion

ebr

Thanks, ebr! That was my problem, I use a mouse instead of a remote. But, "*" did the trick and works perfectly. I'm glad you decided to add MB Plus to MB3, love it and love MB3. I didn't think you all could top MB2, but WOW! I have two quick questions that aren't that big of deal, but I'm curious...

1) Do you see, in the future, being able to direct the criteria to a certain folder (as with my extreme example on my first post)?

2) Where is the "+" icon located? I'd like to resize it to match my Xzeners icons, if possible.

Thanks for your hard work, it's much appreciated and used. Money well spent!

1 - I'd need to have several more people request that.  The more things I add to those criteria the more complex it gets and, thus, harder for normal folks to understand how to use it.  So, unless a whole lot of people are going to use that feature, I will not add it to the complexity.

2 - It is embedded.  However, I believe you could override it with an image of your own using the IBN/General folder.  Create a folder under there called "MB Plus" and put a folder.jpg/png in there.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick response, ebr! I can certainly understand adding more complexity, complicates things. A whole page of nothing but criteria would definitely complicate things. It's certainly something I can work with and not a big deal. I thought the icon might be embedded, but I'll give your suggestion a try. Again, not really a big deal.

Keep up the great work and thanks for the information!

Smart Lists are a great feature, they are missing one key element, exclude.

I want to set up a smart list of my live action comic book movies

So I include the studios that release these type of films, but I would love to exclude the genre Animation.

I want to setup a smart list of my comedy movies without chick flicks coming into the mix.

So I include the genre Comedy and would love to exclude the genres of Romance and Drama.

MrWebsmith

it could maybe work "simply" with a 2 tab on that page.. everything on tab 1 is includes.. and tab 2 for exclude/filter..

maybe much of the code could be re-used with only changes to the -/+ logic that its building???\

just a thought..

I was also thinking in terms of just adding a drop down next to those categories to visually keeping it appealing/simplified to the casual user. Have a drop down tab to pick from include & exclude and the buttons sitting next to them would just have the text Any of these genres like it currently does, and that's where they would click still. Just the drop down tab next to it determining if they are including or excluding items. Should keep it clean and easy enough to manage for a casual user this way. Now the coding behind the scenes, meh who knows I just have faith it would make these become truly smart lists.

Ok not sure of the logic but here is a problem I have been seeing.

Server Next Up area for my profile.

5429926316a6b_MBSNextup.jpg

MB Plus for my profile.

542992bf88428_MBPlus.jpg

As you can see there seems to be a stark difference in what I'm seeing here. Also all those goldberg episodes and big bang theory episodes are already marked watched under my profile so not sure why they would even be showing up? Here is what my family does with our individual profiles. Kids mark stuff they dont want to see as watched, then give it a thumbs down, this keeps their love of unwatched indicators for their profiles in MBC to basically what they are after. It also seems to keep the next up area from the server populated with their shows. I'm not sure if MB Plus can take in account for the servers thumbs down feature as a way to ignore items from showing up in its interface but that might be one way to go about this. I usually watch the goldbergs and big bang with my wife under her profile, all the episodes are marked watched on my end besides the latest episode and I have given anything I watch with her a thumbs down on my profile just to prevent it from populating in the next up area, which seems to be working. If you need any logs let me know but basically all of our profiles suffer from this same sort of issue with MB Plus suggestions for TV.

I wasn't able to override the embedded "+" icon with my own icon. But, as I said earlier, it really wasn't a big deal. I thought, if I could, it would be a nice touch on my home screen, but I don't spend a lot of time there anyway.

MB Plus suggested TV works differently than the server's "Next Up" feature.  For the way I use the system, the MB Plus way makes a lot more sense.

The suggested playlists in MB Plus are generated based on the last episode you watched of each series.  It doesn't matter if you've watched the series before or not, it keeps track of what you last watched and assumes that you are in the process of watching that series now.  So, if you are binge-watching a show you already have seen before it is keeping up with your actual viewing at this moment  as opposed to just your viewing over all of time.

So, looking at your Suggested TV area I know that the last TV episode you watched was from "Z Nation".  Before that, you watched an episode of BBT so it has queued that one up right at the next episode after the last one you watched.  Prior to that you watched Primeval, etc.

Having the option to not suggest dis-liked items is a good one.  I'll look into that but it also really means you need a way to dis-like it inside MBC...

• Like 1

I was also thinking in terms of just adding a drop down next to those categories to visually keeping it appealing/simplified to the casual user. Have a drop down tab to pick from include & exclude and the buttons sitting next to them would just have the text Any of these genres like it currently does, and that's where they would click still. Just the drop down tab next to it determining if they are including or excluding items. Should keep it clean and easy enough to manage for a casual user this way. Now the coding behind the scenes, meh who knows I just have faith it would make these become truly smart lists.

What if you want to include some and exclude others?  With that interface you couldn't see the entire criteria set at one time.

The complexity I refer to is from the user's standpoint and them being able to understand what will be included and how to set it up.  All these additional options just make it more and more complex for the end user.

Okay, version 1.0.2.8 of the server plug-in will not include any items you've disliked in its suggestions.

• Like 1

AgileHumor

So, I was thinking of watching some SmartLists on my tablet...and realized these don't work out of MBC.

Is there a end goal of having MBPlus Create/Update the new server side playlists?  This would allow using MBPlus in the WebGUI and other apps.

There is a potential for having MB Plus interfaces in some of the other apps and the web client is one possibility.  But, I haven't gotten there yet.

However, smart playlists are a planned server feature and, when they are implemented (no, I don't know when that will be) then MB Plus will probably just switch to use those.

1.0.3.0 I'm seeing series that are marked completely watched showing up in next up playlist. Pretty much everything I'm seeing listed has been considered watched.

Okay, one more try for tonight.  If it still doesn't work, I'll look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.

I see progress here, and definitely no watched stuff showing. I also see a combination of the next up episodes for series that have returned and items that I havent started yet that have less then my set unwatched episode counter. i'd say its working pretty good, we shall see how it goes tonight.

bxsteez

Anyone notice that the play from here in the smartlist or random tv is not working?  I have to go into each file and select play. 

Airfleet

ebr, I really would like to either shrink or replace my "plus" icon on my home screen, to more match my other icons, in either size or design. I realize that, from our discussion the other day, it's embedded. Any other ideas? Adding a "MB Plus" folder to the IBN general folder, didn't seem to do the trick. Not a deal-breaker, just my perfectionist side kicking in. LOL

Just tried your cover screensaver program, Love it! I've come across shows I forgot I had.

Sorry, it just isn't possible at the current time.  MBP is really designed to replace your home screen but I know some people don't use it that way.

• Like 1