MB Plus Discussion

ebr

7.  This is weird one...as I could swear it used to work.  Media Folder tiles are shown in the TV screen with x unwatched items as expected...but clicking on Media Folder tile show always brings up "No Items Found" using TV. 

I can't reproduce that...

Agile - the dev version I just put up allows editing the tile counts on Media Folders and Channels.  Can you please test it out for me and report back?  Thanks.

@@ebr, two things I've run into:

1.  I've unchecked "Use MBPlus interface for Suggestions" and I want to use the list view from from the Chocolate theme.  I switch it from Poster to List in the view settings but when I go back to the EHS and enter the same or a different suggestions the view defaults back to poster. My thought process is that suggestions under a certain category (i.e. TV Shows) would respect the settings that are used when selecting "All Series."  Although, it having it's own view setting that could be saved would be nice.
  2. Also how are suggestions generated?  I click on the suggestions for my latest watched movie, which is Brave, and the suggestions given in MBPlus are The Bourne Identity, Inception, and The A Team.  MBServer gives Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, and other, more appropriate suggestions.  I click on Hercules (the disney version) and get Paul, Tangeld, The A-Team and Wreck-It Ralph.  It's a little better but still has two random, unrelated movies being suggested.  
Edited by gthrift

Suggestions are scored on an algorithm that takes into account a lot of factors.  One of those factors that is heavily weighted is Director and then genres.

Genres are a bit tricky depending on how many genres exist in each item.  If the item you watched only has one or two genres then it is going to be easier for other movies to match to it.  I'm guessing "Brave" is listed as an Adventure (or similar) genre and that is why you got some of those other movies.  Primary actors are also a factor.

I'd be interested to know the genre, director and actor content of the movies in question.

The display setting is an interesting one.  I'm sure it is because the items are presenting as normal folders to MBC and those are all treated as individuals when it comes to prefs because we don't know anything specific about them.  I'd have to think if there is any way to handle this differently.

Suggestions are scored on an algorithm that takes into account a lot of factors.  One of those factors that is heavily weighted is Director and then genres.

Genres are a bit tricky depending on how many genres exist in each item.  If the item you watched only has one or two genres then it is going to be easier for other movies to match to it.  I'm guessing "Brave" is listed as an Adventure (or similar) genre and that is why you got some of those other movies.  Primary actors are also a factor.

I'd be interested to know the genre, director and actor content of the movies in question.

The display setting is an interesting one.  I'm sure it is because the items are presenting as normal folders to MBC and those are all treated as individuals when it comes to prefs because we don't know anything specific about them.  I'd have to think if there is any way to handle this differently.

You're right about the Action and Adventure genres.  They all had them.  Is MBPlus using a different system from the server?  The suggestions are very different between the two.

You're right about the Action and Adventure genres.  They all had them.  Is MBPlus using a different system from the server?  The suggestions are very different between the two.

Yes, the logic in MB Plus pre-dates the server feature.  I may look to integrate it at some point but I haven't yet.

For kicks, update to 1.0.2.7 of the server plug-in (dev) and see how your suggestions work out for Brave now.

For kicks, update to 1.0.2.7 of the server plug-in (dev) and see how your suggestions work out for Brave now.

The results are kind of mixed.  With Brave I went from 4 suggestions to 193.  The first several suggestions are The Hobbit 2, National Treasure, The Wolverine, Star Trek, Harry Potter 2, Spider-Man 2, Lady and the Tramp, Planes, Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty, Indiana Jones (temple), Master and Commander, Underworld and Noah.  So a very large mix. 

On the other hand, looking at the suggestions for Hercules, I get 4.  Back to the Future, Bolt, Pinocchio and The Smurfs which, I think, are more appropriate suggestions.  

It seems the difference between the two are Brave's genres are Action, Adventure and Animation and Hercules' genres are Adventure, Comedy and Animation.  

Edited by gthrift

AgileHumor

So, I was editing MBPlus smart lists last night...and the MBS server started giving a dialog box for "Unhandled exception" and closes the server.

The only thing that updated in that time frame was ServerWMC, but with that removed, MBPlus still causes the server to crash.  Removing MBPlus allowed the server to stay up.

How can I reset the MBPlus settings since I think I put something in to the smartlist that it didn't like?  reinstalling the plugin keeps the same settings (which normally would be swell).

Also, anyway I can restart the smart lists at the approx episode in progress (vs starting at the pilot)?

• Like 1

Yeah, so that actually looks like it is working like it should because 2/3 of the genres defined are "Action" and "Adventure" so that is going to match a bunch of movies like the ones you listed.

So, I was editing MBPlus smart lists last night...and the MBS server started giving a dialog box for "Unhandled exception" and closes the server.

The only thing that updated in that time frame was ServerWMC, but with that removed, MBPlus still causes the server to crash.  Removing MBPlus allowed the server to stay up.

How can I reset the MBPlus settings since I think I put something in to the smartlist that it didn't like?  reinstalling the plugin keeps the same settings (which normally would be swell).

Also, anyway I can restart the smart lists at the approx episode in progress (vs starting at the pilot)?

We need to figure out what the error is and get that fixed instead.  Can you please post the unhandled log?

AgileHumor

Sure, the wife is watching Amazing Race Canada at the moment, will reinstall it tonight to repro.

Do you need a special log for MBPlus or standard MBS?

AgileHumor

One or more errors occurred.
System.AggregateException
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.PartitionerForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](Partitioner`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 simpleBody, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 body)
at MBPlus.ServerEntryPoint.<BuildCategories>d__1b.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at MBPlus.ServerEntryPoint.<BuildForAllUsers>d__f.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at MBPlus.ServerEntryPoint.<TimerStopped>d__9.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>b__5(Object state)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
InnerException: System.AggregateException
One or more errors occurred.
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MBPlus.ServerEntryPoint.InitChannel(MBPlusChannel channel, Guid userId)
at MBPlus.ServerEntryPoint.<>c__DisplayClass19.<BuildCategories>b__17(MBPlusChannel child)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass32`2.<PartitionerForEachWorker>b__30()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass11.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__10(Object param0)
InnerException: System.NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Persistence.SqliteItemRepository.<SaveItems>d__5.MoveNext()

Edited by AgileHumor

Interesting.  That is a null ref in the core.  Are you sure that is the right server log?  It doesn't contain that error.

AgileHumor

I'll try a more organized log flush later tonight when the TV is free.  The unhandled exception will pop 20-60 seconds after restarting MBS.

AgileHumor

So I noticed a few errors relating to NFO files.  Don't know the corrolation to having MBPlus installed and NFO parsing...but since I don't use XBMC...I deleted all the NFO files.  Error when MBPlus installed went away.

All clear. Sorry for the bother with some metadata glitch.

I finally made the jump from MB2 to MB3, and love it! I have a question/comment about MB Plus. First off, you just added the feature I was wondering about, using show names under criteria. Great work and more like MB2 Plus.

1) Is it in the future to add folders to the criteria? For instance, being able to direct it to a James Bond folder. With different movie names, actors, ect. It's hard to fit a certain criteria without adding every movie title. Some other movie series are the same, but this is an extreme example.

2) Is there a way to play continuously, from one tv episode to the next, as with MB2 Plus? Could be an oversight on my part, but it stops between each episode and requires me to advance on to the next episode in queue.

Keep up the great work! I'm a lifetime member and have been using MB it for years. 

AgileHumor

#1  Limiting by media folder I don't think is possible at the moment.

#2 This possible.  You just need to wait a few seconds.  If it doesn't, check out the MBPus settings page in the MBC configuration screen (typically top right gear icon).  There is an option to "auto advance".  Don't know if it's default or not.

Edited by AgileHumor

Thanks for your response. I have "auto advance" checked off. I think my problem was probably inpatients. LOL I'll wait for it to advance vs immediately moving on to the next show. I'm still getting use to the nuances of MB2 over MB3. Thanks, again!

I never could get "auto advance" to work, although it's checked off in the configuration menu. When playing an episode, in my smart list, it comes to the end and goes back to the "play" screen for the same episode. Waiting for it to auto advance didn't help. I still had to manually advance and play it. Not a big deal, my playlists do that without out the need for MB Plus. I still have MB2 with MB Plus setup on another system when I have the urge for continuous play. I was in the "trial period" and just testing to see if I could get it setup like MB2 Plus, before abandoning MB2 all together, and buying the MB Plus plugin.

AgileHumor

You need to use the "*" key and and then "Play from here"

I think "Play from here" should be the assumed default on a quick play (pressing play button on smart list at top level, or episode level in MBPlus window)...or some one click method.

• Like 1

Nice! The "*" did the trick, gave me the menu to start the "play all from here".  I'm not sure how I missed that in the instruction post section. There's certainly a learning curve coming from MB2 to MB3, but it's well worth it! I appreciate all your help on this, AgileHumor. I'm off to buy MB Plus...

The issue here is I never envisioned people advancing to the detail page of an episode/item to play it.  When you are on the main MB Plus page that shows all the episodes in a line, simply arrow over to the one you want to start at and hit the "Play" button on your remote.  It will start playing from that item and, if auto advance is on, it will do it.

It will put up a dialog to confirm you want to go on to the next one but if you just do nothing it will automatically go there.  This is necessary to allow you to stop it from playing all of them when you want to move on.

• Like 2

AgileHumor

The issue here is I never envisioned people advancing to the detail page of an episode/item to play it.  When you are on the main MB Plus page that shows all the episodes in a line, simply arrow over to the one you want to start at and hit the "Play" button on your remote.  It will start playing from that item and, if auto advance is on, it will do it.

I didn't know quick play (play button) a high level smart list/suggested/latest playlist would also auto advance.  That is awesome!

MrWebsmith

yup works great 

im trying to break myself of constantly going that last level into the details page.. makes for a more consistent experience within mbplus