meatrack

tornadotj

Just wanted to leave a comment, don't know if it is due to updates on the server side or what, but MB is working great on my Fire TV the last few times I have tried it. I still wish I could resume playback which was started on another device (Plex does), but playback is flawless (not so on Plex). 

I know that redshirt is taking some time away from the project (which is a shame because it was announced last month!) but I have a question or a feature request.

Is the android app going to include codecs to direct play mkv files? XBMB3C is great (and I literally love it) but the simpler MB3 android client would be great for the people that I share my library with.

The Android app, as it stands, causes my server to transcode when files are played locally. I'd love to be able to direct play.

tornadotj

You can resume playback from another device.  That is one of our primary features.

It has never worked for me. The answer I always get is it is because the media is being transcoded on the server. I have noticed recently that MB on the Fire TV is aware of the continue point, but when I select Resume, it starts from the beginning.

Edited by tornadotj

not possible to select the logout button. ;(

It is probably designed as only clickable but not selectable which would make it impossible to select with a TV remote.

This TV layout was only partially completed so I imagine there are lots of things like this that will need to be tidied up.

I see it is available @ the Amazon Store but it's flagged as not compatible with FireTV. So that means I need to sideload it which comes with a few drawnbacks: 

1) I have to go through a series of menu options before I can launch it (I don't really like the Llama workaround)

2) I have to manually push APK updates.

Would be possible to have it flagged as compatible with FireTV? would that require extra dev work to pass any specific FireTV specifications from Amazon?

I'm not prepared to do that because, if you read this thread, you'll see that it isn't really ready for TV use yet.  Putting it in the mass-market in its current state would just cause a lot of frustrations for people.

tornadotj

Sideload it, then you can install from the Amazon app store, then it shows up in the normal menus. I've heard of this working with other apps, too.

app store? in fire tv or must i upload via sideload the app store that i have on my android Smartphone?

If you do that Amazon Prime won't work anymore. So not an option for me.

• 2 weeks later...
noremacyug

can anyone tell me how the meadiabrowser.apk is named? trying to get it to show up in the recent tab like i've been able to do with kodi, or spmc..... need to now exactly how the .apk is labeled on amazons servers though. currently i have it labeled as com.mb.android.apk.

(Edit) - never mind, finally got it. Showing up now.

Edited by noremacyug

jluce50

can anyone tell me how the meadiabrowser.apk is named? trying to get it to show up in the recent tab like i've been able to do with kodi, or spmc..... need to now exactly how the .apk is labeled on amazons servers though. currently i have it labeled as com.mb.android.apk.

(Edit) - never mind, finally got it. Showing up now.

Care to share how to got it to work? I'm having the same problem...

MSattler

Sideload it, then you can install from the Amazon app store, then it shows up in the normal menus. I've heard of this working with other apps, too.

There have got to be some other steps, because it is installed on my Fire TV sticks.  And it still does not show up in the normal menus or recent.  In fact, the only time it ever has shown up in recent's I believe was when using Fired.

dark_slayer

If you side load the Amazon app store apk all sideloaded apps will show up in normal menus, but Amazon instant video won't work anymore

tornadotj

Well when I removed mine then put it back to upgrade, I couldn't get it to show back up on the normal menus. But, last week I gave up trying to make the AFTV work right, and sent it back. I now have a Roku 3, which seems to be much better so far.

MSattler

Well when I removed mine then put it back to upgrade, I couldn't get it to show back up on the normal menus. But, last week I gave up trying to make the AFTV work right, and sent it back. I now have a Roku 3, which seems to be much better so far.

Interesting, is the Roku 3 that much faster than the Roku stick?  I found the stick to be entirely too slow with the MB3 App.  That and I think overall the Android app has a much more similar feel to MB3 than the Roku app.  I ended up switching to the Fire TV Stick because my kids just went to Netflix instead of using the MB3 Roku app, because it didn't look and feel similar to MBC.

I have gotten it into the recent list before, so it is possible, I just don't know what I did to get it there.

gjviii

Interesting, is the Roku 3 that much faster than the Roku stick?  I found the stick to be entirely too slow with the MB3 App.  That and I think overall the Android app has a much more similar feel to MB3 than the Roku app.  I ended up switching to the Fire TV Stick because my kids just went to Netflix instead of using the MB3 Roku app, because it didn't look and feel similar to MBC.

I have gotten it into the recent list before, so it is possible, I just don't know what I did to get it there.

Anything specific I can test on the stick?   I haven't see any issues running roku sticks on  few tv's

noremacyug

Care to share how to got it to work? I'm having the same problem...

- i acquired the .apk from http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ .  go to the google play store and search for media browser, once at that page copy the url and paste it in the box on the evozi site...... download the apk.

- sideload media browser using adbfire or perhaps something similar.

- go to amazon, search for the media browser app and "purchase" it.  ignore the warning stating that you may not be able to use the app on your device.

- next, start media browser on your fire tv and set it up.

- after done with that, go to the fire tv's settings menu and sync your amazon account.

- deregister and then re register your fire tv.

- media browser should show up in the recents area..... however it didn't for me the first time.  i launched media browser a few more times as well as synced and deregistered/re registered a few more times.  it eventually showed up.... working great.

Edited by noremacyug
  • Like 1

MSattler

- i acquired the .apk from http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ .  go to the google play store and search for media browser, once at that page copy the url and paste it in the box on the evozi site...... download the apk.

- sideload media browser using adbfire or perhaps something similar.

- go to amazon, search for the media browser app and "purchase" it.  ignore the warning stating that you may not be able to use the app on your device.

- next, start media browser on your fire tv and set it up.

- after done with that, go to the fire tv's settings menu and sync your amazon account.

- deregister and then re register your fire tv.

- media browser should show up in the recents area..... however it didn't for me the first time.  i launched media browser a few more times as well as synced and deregistered/re registered a few more times.  it eventually showed up.... working great.

I will have to go ahead and try this.

I still am not sure why we cannot just get the app submitted to Amazon as is.  I mean it is in the Google Play store, why not added it to Amazon as well?