meatrack

CBers

Has anyone tried the mirroring feature? I haven't yet, but I wonder if this can be used with the Android app?

Sent from a mobile device.

Mirroring? From Android app to Fire TV?

If so, then it doesn't appear so.

Edited by CBers

Redshirt

Mirroring? From Android app to Fire TV?

If so, then it doesn't appear so.

It does. I just verified and both the mobile UI and Living Room UI respond appropriately to content mirror requests. 

mediacowboy

Any prediction on when the living room UI might be out? I just got my fire but have not used it other then to do a few voice searches.

CBers

It does. I just verified and both the mobile UI and Living Room UI respond appropriately to content mirror requests.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

What steps did you follow please?

Edit: yep, I was doing it wrong. Now seeing mirroring. Very nice.

Edited by CBers

In spite of Amazon's help page regarding mirroring, not all Android devices running 4.4.4 are compatible. I tried this with my Nexus 7 tablet (2012), but only the 2013 edition is compatible. I suppose my tablet would work with Chromecast though, since it's specifically listed.

I was able to get it working with my HTC One. There is significant lag though, at least on my network, enough to affect lip sync, so I'll continue waiting for this client.

Redshirt

In spite of Amazon's help page regarding mirroring, not all Android devices running 4.4.4 are compatible. I tried this with my Nexus 7 tablet (2012), but only the 2013 edition is compatible. I suppose my tablet would work with Chromecast though, since it's specifically listed.

I was able to get it working with my HTC One. There is significant lag though, at least on my network, enough to affect lip sync, so I'll continue waiting for this client.

Ahhh... We're talking about two different technologies I think. What I'm referring to as mirroring is functionality that's built into most MB clients where one client can tell another to navigate to a certain item. I'm not referring to the full blown display mirroring that's software independent.  

Ahhh... We're talking about two different technologies I think. What I'm referring to as mirroring is functionality that's built into most MB clients where one client can tell another to navigate to a certain item. I'm not referring to the full blown display mirroring that's software independent.

On. Well, we were talking about using the Fire TV with MB, I assumed we were talking about watching our videos through it.

Anyway, that Fire TV sick is so beyond my Roku LT, I'm excited to try your app!

CBers

On. Well, we were talking about using the Fire TV with MB, I assumed we were talking about watching our videos through it.

Anyway, that Fire TV sick is so beyond my Roku LT, I'm excited to try your app!

The app actually runs on the Amazon FTV, so it's not necessary to use the app on your phone/tablet to mirror content,although you can.

The app actually runs on the Amazon FTV, so it's not necessary to use the app on your phone/tablet to mirror content,although you can.

I'm confused now. What app are you talking about? There is no MB client app for Fire TV, AFAIK.

dark_slayer

I think @@leebo is referring to where you go to settings->displays->enable mirroring

Don't know that to say about that, because my G2 sees it but I've not tried it out on 2012N7

This would require the android setting "display and brightness"->"cast screen" to be enabled. Then the cast screen option should show up in your quick access pull down if it works for your device

• 3 weeks later...

well i just want to tell you guys that you dont need to root the device to sideload apps,

also while the firetvstick does not have dts support or full blown audio support, the non stick version does, (you can passtrough the audio and let your receiver do the job)

i am currently using it with plex and kodi(xbmc), i did try MB long ago but couldnt make it run or didnt understand how it worked, but now i think i will give it another try

jbloggs

I just found out about MB today and hoping to try it out this weekend on my FireTV, but it seems it is not 'officially' available for FireTV. I understand that it can be side loaded but are there any plans to make it 'officially' be available for FireTV via the Amazon App store (for FireTV).

tornadotj

Since the android app went free today, I sideloaded it onto my Fire TV. It does start up and work as long as you just let it play, but I noticed trying to skip forward causes the movie to freeze. It was difficult to exit out of MB, then after going back in (I did not do a force stop) it wouldn't play the movie any more. I also have a Fire TV Stick, haven't tried it there yet, but I can't imagine the results would be better.

Please note, this is not a complaint, just passing along my experience in case it helps. 

I've had issues where movies freeze in Plex also, then don't allow playback when restarting, so I wonder if it is a FireTV issue, not an MB or Plex issue.

Edited by tornadotj

Um, bloggs, post 161. Did you bother to read ANY of this thread?

Edited by leebo

CBers

@@tornadotj - don't forget that playback is transcoded, so skipping forward/backwards means a new ffmpeg thread on your MBS each time.

Edited by CBers

tornadotj

No problem. One thing though, I noticed it knows how long my movies are, and stop and resume works. This does not work on an XBOX 360 extender off of MB Classic, since it must transcode (XBOX can't play MKV). So in a way, it is working better than my extender solution.

Why does Plex not have this limitation when transcoding? Jumping forward and back works just fine in Plex. Note, I'm not bashing MB, Plex has its own set of issues, and isn't the solution for everything I have. When I'm watching Plex on Fire TV, I see ffmpeg running on the server also.

Edited by tornadotj

dark_slayer

Skip has never consistently worked for me in plex or mb3 (when transcoding) haven't tried plex in a while but used it for years prior to mb3

If you want to start a movie or episode somewhere beyond the beginning the chapters are still your best bet

tornadotj

I tried Plex (and MB3 to be fair) years ago and didn't like either one of them. I've been clinging to MB2 until just now, after trying Plex for a while and being surprised. But I would really like to stick with MB - dance with the one who brung you, you know? 

viziofire

Long time ServerWMC supporter, new to MB3 and just finding this thread.    Any plans to add EPG like web client to Android app for Fire TV?

For those sideloading MB onto the Fire TV, here is a work-around to be able to launch MB from the main screen without having to go through app settings. 

1. Install (sideload) Llama, you can find the apk here - http://kebabapps.blogspot.com/
  2. Install Flixster through the Amazon App Store - http://www.amazon.com/Flixster/dp/B004HXHVZ8
  3. On Fire TV launch Llama (Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Llama>launch application

It's sort of hard to see the tabs inside of Llama (at least it was for me).

1. Go to the "Events" tab along the top of the screen
  2. Click down, click right.  The + tab should be highlighted at the bottom, right corner of the screen.  Click on the + icon
  3. Select 'Add Condition'
  4. Select 'Active Application'
  5. Select 'Choose App'
  6. Select 'Flixster'
  7. Select 'OK'
  8. Back at the main screen, Select 'Add Action'
  9. Select 'Run Application'
  10. Select 'MediaBrowser'

Back at the main screen there is an option to test the action you just set up, otherwise click the back button to get out of Llama.  Once you are back on the home screen, go to apps and run Flixster.  This should launch you into MB.