meatrack

Latchmor

Can't say no for £49 really can you?

Not really. The Lovefilm/Amazon Prime app on my telly is a little sluggish so I'd use this a lot more I think.

Then MB of course  ;)

Deihmos

Get a FLIRC, works perfectly to give one IR on a Fire TV....

The roku has more content and works with IR. They all do the same thing so it isn't serious. I already have an IR receiver for the htpc. Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

Fire TV works with XBMC, vastly more powerful than a ROKU and a much much nicer interface....with a FLIRC it leaves the ROKU for dust....

Prefer to use my HTPC and not interested in XBMC. Thanks.

mini__me

Not sure whether to buy one or wait for Android TV.

Argh problem is there is always something around the corner, just need to decide and stick with it I guess, at £50 it's almost throw away after 6 months money!

Deihmos

Anyone buying this to use XBMC better read up because it isn't a matter of installing it from a store. You need to root the device and will have to do it over every time there is an update.

Vidman

Anyone buying this to use XBMC better read up because it isn't a matter of installing it from a store. You need to root the device and will have to do it over every time there is an update.

Is SPMC not available from the Amazon store as a free download for fireTV? It is a android version of XBMC ... No root required I believe

Deihmos

Is SPMC not available from the Amazon store as a free download for fireTV? It is a android version of XBMC ... No root required I believe

No. The fire TV does not use an android store and amazon has its own OS based on Android.

Vidman

No. The fire TV does not use an android store and amazon has its own OS based on Android.

So the fire TV doesn't have the Amazon app store on it?

Edit: it seems that although it in the Amazon app store it is not enabled for the fire tv

Edited by Vidman

Vidman

As I said spmc is an android version of xbmc that is available from the Amazon app store....it is developed by a team xbmc member.... It is also mentioned in the link your provided

Edited by Vidman

Deihmos

You still have to do the same procedure. Amazon app store and fire TV store are not the same. Also sbmc cannot play ac3 or dts and might have other codec restrictions. Xbmc ran into trouble with those codes which is why it was pulled from the Android store.

Edited by Deihmos

breezytm

I can speak for the Fire TV since I have one and I use XBMC on it. After I installed xbmc I was having some issues. I upgraded the firmware thinking it would solve my problems. It didn't solve them but I didn't have to reinstall xbmc after the firmware update completed. Hopefully it'll be the same for Android TV.

Deihmos

I didn't say you have to reinstall xbmc. The updates can disable root so if you want to keep it rooted it is best to disable updates. Too many complications if you ask me.

Edited by Deihmos

Vidman

You still have to do the same procedure. Amazon app store and fire TV store are not the same. Also sbmc cannot play ac3 or dts and might have other codec restrictions. Xbmc ran into trouble with those codes which is why it was pulled from the Android store.

I don't have a firetv but I have installed spmc thru Amazon app store installed on my ouya and have no problems with ac3 or dts or any other restrictions in fact spmc was created because the ouya version of xbmc was required to remove ac3 and DTS support

Root is only required if you want the Fire TV to start with the XBMC interface and not the native Fire TV interface. There are other non-root ways to have the Fire TV launch XBMC as default but the root'ed way is the nicest. In saying that if you don't mind the Fire TV interface and selecting a icon to launch XBMC than no fiddling about or rooting is required.

The ROKU interface is restrictive and ugly...XBMC not only have many skins to choose from but is heavily supported by Media Browser now...having TV/Movies/Music/Pictures and Live TV all in the one spot in a fantastically beautiful unrestricted skin is very nice indeed. No issues with audio pass through for DTS and AC3 etc. is great...ability to run de-interlacing on Live TV is a must, again Fire TV/XBMC supports it...

A final bonus, it'll get the WAF...it's a no brainer in my opinion...is it perfect? No...but bloodly close at the moment....

It isn't really a fair comparison because you're putting 2014 devices and interfaces against a Roku SDK that hasn't really seen any major updates in a couple years. Not everyone likes change, particularly relating to WAF. It's only a matter of time before Roku introduces a new SDK that will level the playing field. They have a large customer base that can sustain them if they can just roll out some badly needed refreshes. 

Having said, if you're a first-timer, I would definitely do android tv or fire tv. if they were both available now, android tv.

Agreed, my issues with the Roku are mainly interface related (the childish nature of the skin is the ugly reference).

However, does the Roku support AC3 and DTS?

Can you have de-interlacing enabled for Live TV broadcasts or will have I have dreaded interlace lines?

From my experience, and I admit it's not exhaustive, the Roku falls down in this areas....

Edited by Scot