meatrack

MSattler

Just an option to allow A Show to be listed for next up instead of individual episodes. Or just a link to the current season.

Next up is useless to people with large libraries. 

I have over 300 shows. 220 of them have unwatched shows. I want to browse my shows from 0-z with just unplayed/unwatched shows.

I am not trying to be a pain. Plex took unwatched filter away and told us how we should watch tv a few years ago and a group of us fought for it to come back. We got it back and it was half assed and never worked right. We told them it didn't work, they blamed us and then it somehow started working right (for a little bit of time) after a server update after months of reporting it broken. Still doesn't work right and its one of the reasons I left. 

Like i said earlier, I will just stick with Kodi as my front end and Emby as my awesome server. Unwatched/UnPlayed has been around for years since XBMC and don't understand why developers are taking it away. It is needed for large libraries. Even for movies, if you want to filter by a genre, you still don't want to see movies you've already seen.

If enough people request it, I'll certainly consider it.  It is just that actual "filtering" is not that easy to accomplish in this particular interface paradigm.  Technically, it is easy to do but the interface doesn't lend itself to lots of display options so it gets tough to do it in a way that makes sense and where the user knows what they are seeing.

Simply adding another row of Shows by name that have unwatched content should be doable but then that is going to lead down a path where people will then want to see by genre unwatched and by letter unwatched etc. and I don't want the interface to become so complicated that the majority of people find it hard to understand or navigate.

Also, don't forget that this interface does lend itself to searching (by name anyway).

Finally, know that this app will never have the incredibly confusing number of options that something like MBC has so "just add an option" is going to fall on deaf ears a lot of the time :).  The fact of the matter is that 85%+ of users do not change default options and the more options there are the more intimidating the app becomes to that 85%.

CBers

I'd like to see an Unwatched filter as well if possible.

Having 500+ movies and 55+ tv shows in my small-ish library, it would be nice to see what I still have to watch.

Although 85% of people might not use it, the remaining 15% would, as they are no doubt video-philes, so advanced settings would be useful.

Obviously if it's a problem implementing it, then so be it.

So in the Unwatched image above, is that TV, Movies or both?

paul777

I'd definitely go along with the desire to have unwatched for TV and movies. While I'm at it I may as well mention a few of the reports from the family when they comared it to the current MBClassic (most are just not a very FireTV way of doing things)

- they said the images are bigger than they need and it takes a lot of scrolling to get places

- that you don't get to see many items on the screen at a time as it only uses one row

- they miss the MBClassic thumb view, that shows the details as you scroll through so you don't have to go in and out of each item to read the synopsis

just some comments - as I said most don't really seem to fit with the FireTV style of doing things

55409acea8757_screen.jpg

• Like 1

siu99ss2

Hi, is there any chance of adding additional bitrate options similar to Android TV app, ie 3mbps and 4mbps?

I'm finding that 2mbps isn't of sufficient quality but 5mpbs is too much of a jump for my internet connection when streaming remotely.

Thanks

CBers

Still getting pausing during playback, even though transcoding has completed and the files are just sitting waiting to be plated. For the latest pausing, the FPS was in excess of 60 all through the log.

I have tried BitRate settings of 30, 20 & 15 but still get the pausing.

• Like 1

siu99ss2

I'm experiencing similar issues to CBers with playback of transcoded video.

I'll be able to provide a server log file tomorrow

• Like 1

cgrey000

thanks Luke, I have understood what is going on now! I tested removing the level check in the EncodingJobFactory and it does then do a stream copy and I can report that the FireTV stick seems happy with level 41, so some ability to override this would be nice.  I can also report that the FireTV stick doesn't seem to support anamorphic videos so will need to pass AllowAnamorphic=false as a parameter, (I assume that the anamorphic flag on the stream will be carrying across properly when it is doing a stream copy and that it is the FireTV not supporting it rather than the stream not telling it) 

Looking here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels) it seems the difference between level 4.0 and 4.1 is just maximum supported bitrate, although a lot of the videos I have say they are level41, their bitrate would actually mark them as being compatible with level 40, so no surprise that they work and maybe some logic we can code it to allow a reported level 41 when the bitrate is within range for level 40.

(Thanks for all the work on this, amazing job keeping the UI so in style with the FireTV - I'm getting very close to being able to drop at least some of my xbox extenders)

Looks like this discussion may have ended here. Curious if this report is enough to continue the discussion about loosening the transcoding requirements and/or giving us some way to override (understanding if we try to force direct-play an unsupported file type, it won't work)... 

Really like the start we have here. Ultimately hope to replace the current scenario I use with Kodi, synching, clients, etc. with a 'tighter' solution. Absolutely on the right track here and the first cut at a functional interface is a really great start.

Being able to direct play or at least direct stream (primarily for the DD / 5,1 capability) will be a must for me - at least in the main room where I output the FTV's sound through an amp. I hope to investigate some more this weekend when I have some time, and provide media info and logs if they will help, but I have noticed that I can't seem to get ANY of my media to play without transcoding. I've tried at least a dozen different files that all supposedly fit the FireTV's supported specs (MP4 and MKV containers / standard and high profiles at level 4.0 / subtitles and no subtitles / bit rates well below the theoretical max) ... nothing I've tried will play without being transcoded (and everything I've tried does direct play in the Emby client for Kodi).

Wishlist items for some future point will include some sort of support for "smart playlists" (I know we need this on the server side first before it can be carried down to this client), and an easier way to scroll through 600-ish movies when I just want to "browse" than a single row in the interface.. But it's early. Getting 5.1 audio will be enough to move me over while I wait patiently for the bells and whistles..

We don't need an override because you should have to override something in order to get the app to direct play something it can naturally support. Instead, you should report specific examples one by one so that we can see why direct play isn't happening.

paul777

We don't need an override because you should have to override something in order to get the app to direct play something it can naturally support. Instead, you should report specific examples one by one so that we can see why direct play isn't happening.

The issue is that many streams are encoded as level 4.1 (handbrake default for instance) when in fact they obey all the standards for 4.0 - the only difference between those standards in the bitrate, you could argue it was a fault of the encoder for flagging a low bitrate stream as 4.1 when in fact it could have been flagged 4.0 but that is out of our control - unfortunately level checking just isn't a reliable way of doing things because not all the bits of the puzzle treat the standards the same. A specific 4.1 to 4.0 override based on bitrate may cope with most present situations though. The only difference in specification for 4.0 vs 4.1 is the maximum bitrate. We should be aspiring to provide the best reliable quality to the end user and any transcoding we do particularly of high resolution streams is likely to be lowering the quality given we have to do it in real time on todays cpus - I notice it and I have an i7 in my media server which is no slouch.

@Luke: I wonder if the time has come to start a specific forum for the FireTV client and close this thread it is getting quite confusing with different issues?

• Like 1

cgrey000

How many? At last count, I have tried 15 different files that all conform to what should be "direct playable" standards. Do you want media info and transcode logs for all of them (and each subsequent file I try)? As of now, I've not had a single file play without transocoding..

No, pick one, let's solve that. Then reevaluate. Repeat until complete.

cgrey000

No, pick one, let's solve that. Then reevaluate. Repeat until complete.

Here's the first transcode log, and I think I already see a problem. In the first line (deviceID): MaxAudioChannels=2

Also included the device.json file, which I'm not entirely certain how to read, but I do see a lot of "audio channels value: 2" in there..

transcode-09bc7533-3dd6-42d6-a3e0-ebb087c910b4.txt

device.json.txt

Edited by cgrey000

Here's the first transcode log, and I think I already see a problem. In the first line (deviceID): MaxAudioChannels=2

Also included the device.json file, which I'm not entirely certain how to read, but I do see a lot of "audio channels value: 2" in there..

you're missing media info

cgrey000

you're missing media info

Sorry - thought the device.json incorrectly reporting it is only capable of 2-channel audio made the media info irrelevant. Anyway, here's the info that that specific file:

55450f24edaeb_Capture.jpg

Actually nevermind on both. They are both transcoding because there is a subtitle track selected and the app has not yet implemented separate text-based delivery like a lot of the other apps have.

• Like 1

But if you can repro this without subtitles then we can continue to iron them out, just in case there might be multiple factors triggering transcoding.

cgrey000

But if you can repro this without subtitles then we can continue to iron them out, just in case there might be multiple factors triggering transcoding.

No way to disable subtitles if there is an associated track in the interface until after playback has started...

You can set the options in your user preferences to never play subs

cgrey000

No way to disable subtitles if there is an associated track in the interface until after playback has started...

Tried renaming the subtitle files .. that resulted in a popup that says simply "can't play this video" and an OK box

Please just follow the test as i'm requesting, thanks. i would imagine in that case encoding failed because it went looking for the subs and couldn't find them