meatrack

CBers

It isn't an option. He modified the code to test it.

Oh right.

Is it something that might be useful moving forward, or is it a "red-herring"?

If a device won't play a video, then something needs to change the video, be that either permanent re-encoding or transcoding on the fly.

paul777

Oh right.

Is it something that might be useful moving forward, or is it a "red-herring"?

If a device won't play a video, then something needs to change the video, be that either permanent re-encoding or transcoding on the fly.

Personally I think we need to get a bit more clever around the level checks as unfortunately encoders like Handbrake have a habit of setting them higher that required resulting in low end devices like the FTV reporting restrictions that mean we end up doing transcoding when we don't actually need to. At the current time the issue seems to be between level 40/41 (although we may find others as 4K becomes more common). As I mentioned in my previous post the difference in spec between 40 and 41 is only the bitrate so it is possible to say level 41 + bitrate <X is ok for level40 player. I would be very tempted, given the level check is always likely to present some issues on how encoders choose to set it versus what is actually required, to provide an override to ignore the level with a caveat that it may cause issues if someone tries to play a video that is way outside specification. Ultimately though this is Luke's domain.

• Like 1

we have gone ahead and changed the app to support 41 so this is a moot point if you're running the latest version.

• Like 1

CBers

we have gone ahead and changed the app to support 41 so this is a moot point if you're running the latest version.

Which version of the app?

Pretty sure he's on the latest version which probably means this isn't his issue.

paul777

Thanks Luke, that seems reasonable. How do we get the latest version Amazon UK is still showing the version published on 26Apr?

paul777

Pretty sure he's on the latest version which probably means this isn't his issue.

His transcode logs still showed it requesting level 40?

CBers

Just tried the same movie on the latest version of the app on my Nexus Player, and it looks like it now says level=42.

http://192.168.1.140:8096/mediabrowser/videos/4fc7b83c1e12b0677f4a6104c7a6f61b/hlsdynamic/main/0.ts?DeviceId=c8f2dbf4d18deb99&MediaSourceId=4fc7b83c1e12b0677f4a6104c7a6f61b&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=aac&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=3&VideoBitrate=19680000&AudioBitrate=320000&MaxAudioChannels=8&MaxWidth=1440&Level=42&ClientTime=1430757054478&MaxVideoBitDepth=8&Profile=high&PlaySessionId=c6e4a48ded974fb0b08955d0d31fabc1
Am I reading that correct?

Yes, the override is only for fire. For nexus we use the device reported value.

CBers

But the video is Level 41:

Capture1054.jpg

So, is the level=42 stating that the device (NP) can play upto and including level 42 ??

I'll try the same on my FTV and see what is stated in the log.

CBers

OK, on my FTV the level=40

http://192.168.1.140:8096/mediabrowser/videos/4fc7b83c1e12b0677f4a6104c7a6f61b/hlsdynamic/main/0.ts?DeviceId=dae9f758a0cc51b6&MediaSourceId=4fc7b83c1e12b0677f4a6104c7a6f61b&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=aac&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=3&VideoBitrate=19872000&AudioBitrate=128000&MaxAudioChannels=2&MaxWidth=1920&MaxHeight=1080&Level=40&ClientTime=1430757798026&MaxVideoBitDepth=8&Profile=high&PlaySessionId=266d664123264d65b08a659235420de1

dragon2611

Is DTS/AC3 passthrough possible in a future version of the Emby TV client?  

It's pretty much the only reason I use Kodi on the FTV because it seems to be able to send 5.1 properly to the AV amp.

Started using the Emby app on the Stick as it's a lot less heavy than Kodi and I don't have a 5.1 system connected to that TV.

paul777

So, just managed to upgrade to 1.0.33a - my FTVS seemed to be stuck on 1.0.23a and I had to fully uninstall, and re-push from amazon on my PC, then re-sync on the FTVS to get it to pickup the new version.

I can confirm with this version (1.0.33a) that it is still requesting level 40 so still triggering the transcoding.

edit: Actually I'm a bit confused - the FTV info screen says it is version 1.0.33a but the in app settings screen reports version 1.0.23a - anyone know what is happening?

Edited by paul777
  • Like 1

arztonyou

Trying out the new app on a FireTV.  Working pretty well, so far.  I know it's early, but I was curious about the long-term goals of the app.

I was wondering if eventually there will be additional settings to rearrange the order of the rows or hide/show individual rows.  Or possibly a setting to allow a default row that the user would start at, similar to how the Android app allows you to pick the default tab to start on.  I tend not to use the "recently added" or "next up" very often, although I know that lots of others do.

I know you are emulating Android TV, so will this be THE user interface or will this be the default user interface and you eventually expect to add other types of views to choose from.

Thanks for all your hard work on Emby.  I've tried out MBC, Kodi, MBT, and now the FireTV app.  I always look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next.

Edit:  Oops!!  Probably should have put this in the general FireTV app thread.  Feel free to move the post if you don't want it here.

Edited by arztonyou

Honestly, there are not plans for lots of different options or view styles.  The vast majority of people never use them.  So we want to concentrate on creating the absolute best interface by default.

Perhaps a few minor customization things will come but nothing like the number of options you typically see in something like an MBC Theme.

So, keep providing feedback and we will refine as best we can to the way the most people use the app.

nosaj72

Liking the new client a lot. I'm not ready to switch completely from kodi (w/emby) yet mostly due to the lack of smart playlists, but I hope that won't be too far down the road. I do like the "Up Next" feature a lot, but it seems like it comes up a bit too soon. It comes up about 45 seconds before the end of the show, whereas I think 20-30 seconds before the end would be more than enough. Can we make that duration configurable somehow?

The problem is it will be different for different content.  Some shows have 60 seconds of credits, some have 20, and a few even have none.  I settled on about 45 for anything shorter than a movie.  We can refine that if most people find it doesn't work well with most of their content.

nosaj72

I see your point. Some people would want to use the feature mostly to skip to the next video earlier (i.e. to skip the credits) and other just to get a quick glance at the next show while letting the current show finish. A longer time is desirable for the first group and a shorter one for the second. I guess Netflix gets around this problem by having someone manually mark where the credits start.

My experience is that comedies / 30 minute shows have little to no credits, whereas hour dramas and movies have longer credits. Of course, I only use queues like this to play random comedy shows (i.e. play some random episodes of "Friends"), so others might disagree.

MrWebsmith

my issue... and i will do more testing tonight on this.. was id like the ability to dismiss the notice without it ending the playback of the current item.

so .. skip now button.. moves ahead to the next item immediately.. this is fine and worked as expected.

"cancel" button.. took me out of the show before it had even finished really... that doesnt work as we expected at least... any else able to confirm this? .. maybe rename to "dismiss and dont skip" and then ensure that playback finishes of that item completely.

CBers

Eric - is there a way of having the synopsis display whilst playback is in progress?

We have it in the Samsung Smart TV app and it's very useful. Negates you having to stop playback to read the synopsis.

Thanks.

my issue... and i will do more testing tonight on this.. was id like the ability to dismiss the notice without it ending the playback of the current item.

so .. skip now button.. moves ahead to the next item immediately.. this is fine and worked as expected.

"cancel" button.. took me out of the show before it had even finished really... that doesnt work as we expected at least... any else able to confirm this? .. maybe rename to "dismiss and dont skip" and then ensure that playback finishes of that item completely.

Hit the back button.  The same way you dismiss the normal OSD before it times out.

• Like 1