meatrack

Does emby for Fire TV work outside one's home network?

I want to take my Fire TV to another location and use it to access my emby server that is at my home. That is, in fact, the primary purpose for buying a Fire TV. Does that work?

Yes.

You will need to adjust the max bitrate in the settings to accommodate whatever the situation is though because the default is set for LAN streaming (30Mb/s).

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Yes.

You will need to adjust the max bitrate in the settings to accommodate whatever the situation is though because the default is set for LAN streaming (30Mb/s).

In this situation do supporters have to pay to unlock playback when it's taken off home network?

In this situation do supporters have to pay to unlock playback when it's taken off home network?

Yes, I'm afraid so.  If the device is remote to the server then unlocking will be necessary.

dragon2611

Yes, I'm afraid so.  If the device is remote to the server then unlocking will be necessary.

That's new then as last time I tried the app it didn't care my emby server was remote.

That's new then as last time I tried the app it didn't care my emby server was remote.

No, that isn't new.  If the app is unlocked via the store, then it will work fine local or remote.

Hello

know if in the next version for TV fire which is similar to the new version of android, it can support external subtitles srt?, as I understand right now that do not work in fire tv

srt is already supported but it currently burns them in. we'll make it more efficient in a future release.

• Like 1

Schimi

It´s possible to add a max streaming bitrate of 1,5Mbs ?

A friend use the stick to stream and had only a 3Mbps DSL Line with 2MBps drops....

She use a "small" TV so the "bad" quality should´t be a Problem (testet with web streaming and a Chromecast stick, but the Stick with RC is much easier to use :-))...

Edited by Schimi

It´s possible to add a max streaming bitrate of 1,5Mbs ?

A friend use the stick to stream and had only a 3Mbps DSL Line with 2MBps drops....

She use a "small" TV so the "bad" quality should´t be a Problem (testet with web streaming and a Chromecast stick, but the Stick with RC is much easier to use :-))...

1.5 has been available for quite a while.  Additionally, the version that just went out yesterday adds some even lower bitrate options for people using the app remotely.

Schimi

hmm Emby says the App Connects with 1.0.50a

but the lowest setting is 2MBits/sec

11355594831036t3olwe45uh_thumb.jpg

*edit*

Maybe i try to check this by myself next week

Edited by Schimi

Schimi

sorry but the stick is not in my homme LAN...

The Foto was send me from my friend....

i like to help but i haven´t access to the stick right now :-(

Ahh... It is because you are using a different language and our translators haven't yet translated those other options.  I'll take care of it for the next release.

• Like 1

Of course. Whatever new toys they add, you can assume we'll be right on top of them :)

• Like 1

Chuck

OK ... This seems to be a pretty sweet solution!

With the retirement of Media Center in Windows 10 and, I'm in a pickle for the replacement: I've been using Emby (MediaBrowser) since early in its development for WMC  After testing the FireTV stick, FireTV, Roku 2, Roku 3, Roku Stick, Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, and Google Chrome (not physically testing, but researched), I've installed two FireTV devices.

Configuration;

1) Intel Core i7 CPU X980 @ 3.33Ghz

2) 12 GB RAM

3) Windows 8.1 64-bit

4) Silicon Dust PRIME (replacement for Ceton Infinity  4 PCIe)

5) Emby

6) Emby App for FireTV

7) Emby

7) Cat 6 cabling with 10/100/1000 Ethernet backend

Results;

1) FireTV stick, Roku Stick: Performance is a challenge as there is no Ethernet wired connection.  Performance problems across the board.

2) My daughter uses Google Chrome remotely, and seems to be pretty happy with it when connecting to Emby.  But, there are limitations with there being no wired Ethernet, and my assumption is that the video quality and streaming performance would be similar to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

3) Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, used remotely with some glitchy video performance using Emby, and had to reduce client bit rate to make it usable reducing the video quality.  Somewhat expected for a remote connection using miracast.

4) Roku 2 and 3, missing Live TV guide.  And, I expect that HD TV performance would be a challenge, similar to FireTV, and miracast functionality dicey in Roku 3

5) FireTV, attractive interface, good streaming performance (some challenges with Emby movie streaming with pauses that I assume are related to buffering.  LiveTV HD is pissing me off due to show stops HD TV screen "warbles").  LiveT  But, LiveTV is way, way better than the Silicon Dust PRIME with HD View (HD TV performance and glitches make HD channels unwatchable)

Challenges so far using the Fire TV and Emby

1) I replaced the Emby server WMC with NextPVR initially. But, settled on EmbyTV due to EmbyTV's full integration with Emby.  And, the resulting TV Guide is slicker with the channel images, and the performance for HD TV is better with Emby TV, but still not great (sigh: Media Center Live TV worked better.

2) Another "sigh" for having to replace the Ceton device with the Silicon Dust device for tuner support, and network tuner for Silicon Dust opposed to integrated solution

3) Some movie stops, and occasional audio out of synch with the FireTV Live TV solution.

4) Slow TV guide loading, and reloading when wanting to revisit the guide, and slow startup for watching Live TV

In an attempt to use Plex as opposed to Emby, my impression is that Emby is a much more elegant solution than Plex, and performance overall is also far superior with Emby.

For now, the Fire TV seems to be the best replacement for WMC with Xbox extenders, and I'm hoping that performance for HD Live TV improves.  Or,. that my problem is with user configuration (playback streaming configurations: server and client???, other???)

CBers

OK ... This seems to be a pretty sweet solution!

With the retirement of Media Center in Windows 10 and, I'm in a pickle for the replacement:

Why replace it ??

Windows 8.1 support will be around until at least after Windows 7 support ends, which I believe is 2020.

Chuck

Replacement?

Because I'm an early adopter nerd. B)

And, I'm using Xbox 30 as Media Center Extenders.  Now that Xbox 360 games will be supported on Xbox One the monetary value of the Xbox 360 is reduced even more that after the launch of Xbox One.

Right now, I can sell the Xbox 360's for around $100 bucks now, but it won't be long before they become paperweights and I won't be able to give them away.

So, the replacement cost for Xbox 360 to Fire TV is a wash at the moment.

Edited by Chuck
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Similar here, using the nexus player at the mo, but mbt on an nuc is my preferred solution.

CBers

Replacement?

Because I'm an early adopter nerd. B)

And, I'm using Xbox 30 as Media Center Extenders. Now that Xbox 360 games will be supported on Xbox One the monetary value of the Xbox 360 is reduced even more that after the launch of Xbox One.

Right now, I can sell the Xbox 360's for around $100 bucks now, but it won't be long before they become paperweights and I won't be able to give them away.

So, the replacement cost for Xbox 360 to Fire TV is a wash at the moment.

Unless you're an Amazon Prime user, I wouldn't get the Fire TV, but rather the Nexus Player.

OK, I have both, but Fire TV was purchased to help Redshirt with his early testing.

Both run the Emby for Kodi addon.

More will come to the Emby for Android TV app.

cgrey000

Unless you're an Amazon Prime user, I wouldn't get the Fire TV, but rather the Nexus Player.

OK, I have both, but Fire TV was purchased to help Redshirt with his early testing.

Will the Nexus player direct play mkv and mp4 files WITH subtitles?  It's one of the few devices I haven't played with yet, and Amazon just dropped the price. I'd pick one up, but need some incentive.

If it can do this better than my FireTV, that might be my motivation to play with it.

Essentially, my goal is to keep native AC3 5.1 audio (not transcoded to AAC) while playing video files and displaying subtitles.

Nevermind - looks like the Nexus doesn't support AC3 at all, unless I've read misinformation

Edited by cgrey000

Chuck

I did look at the Nexus Player, reading various reviews.  That is the one that I didn't get my hands on to test.

One of the primary differentiators is that the FireTV has a 1/00 Ethernet port, so I can place it on the wired network segment as opposed to the wireless.

Even though I am running the Netgear R7000 AC, I found that the Roku stick and the FireTV stick network performance on WiFi pitiful.  So, only having the WiFi only functionality of the Google Nexus Player, it was immediately dismissed as an option.

drakus72

I did look at the Nexus Player, reading various reviews.  That is the one that I didn't get my hands on to test.

One of the primary differentiators is that the FireTV has a 1/00 Ethernet port, so I can place it on the wired network segment as opposed to the wireless.

Even though I am running the Netgear R7000 AC, I found that the Roku stick and the FireTV stick network performance on WiFi pitiful.  So, only having the WiFi only functionality of the Google Nexus Player, it was immediately dismissed as an option.

My Roku Stick and my Fire Stick both perform excellent over WiFi with very high throughput on them. The problem may be with the Netgear R7000 from reports I have read. Try the ASUS AC68 or the AC87. 

CBers

Will the Nexus player direct play mkv and mp4 files WITH subtitles?

99.5% of my media is MKV with AC3 and everything gets transcoded, be it the Nexus Player or the Fire TV, when using the Emby ATV app.

The Emby for Kodi app direct plays everything though, including AC3 etc.

One of the primary differentiators is that the FireTV has a 1/00 Ethernet port, so I can place it on the wired network segment as opposed to the wireless.

Even though I am running the Netgear R7000 AC, I found that the Roku stick and the FireTV stick network performance on WiFi pitiful. So, only having the WiFi only functionality of the Google Nexus Player, it was immediately dismissed as an option.

The Nexus Player can be connected wired if you get the USB adapter as I have.

Edited by CBers