Beta Release Thread

cmcg

Ultroman

@@Ultroman I just played all 4 files with no issues, played smooth throughout the whole video.

Did you put them into a library folder with "Home Videos" as the content type? Because they play fine for me, too, except when I put them into a library folder with "Home Videos" as the content type. Then they don't play. That's the issue.

We have a folder like that, to put the newest downloads in, so we don't have to tear through tonnes of menus to get to the new episodes. We rewatch a lot of series all the time, so our "Next Up"s are rarely the newly downloaded episodes.

Edited by Ultroman

CBers

Did you put them into a library folder with "Home Videos" as the content type? Because they play fine for me, too, except when I put them into a library folder with "Home Videos" as the content type. Then they don't play. That's the issue.

Why are you putting them in as Home Videos type content? They should be TV.

Ultroman

Why are you putting them in as Home Videos type content? They should be TV.

Because, if I put a lot of episodes of different series into a folder with the "TV" content-type, it more than often screws something up, so I have to go fix the metadata. This way, the videos are simply planted in a folder, and I can watch them instantly, without having to go find the right series/season/episode. Also, it is convenient for me to have all the newest episodes in a single folder, so I can better keep track of what I have and haven't seen yet. Since I rewatch a lot of series, and me and my GF sometimes haven't seen the same of the newest episodes, it's just easier to manage. When we've both seen the episodes, they go into their right "TV"-content folders.

Anyway, it's kinda besides the point. Why have a "Home Videos" content-type for folders, if some videos cannot be played from it.

Edited by Ultroman

@@Ultroman I agree with you about home movies. With young children I have a few actual home movies as well. But it is one of the media types we don't natively support yet, along with photos. They are just in the general folder browser. Your sample files and posts will be very useful when I start to build this part, which I hope to include (eventually) during this beta cycle so that we are fairly feature complete when we hit 1.0.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Yes, I put them in the folder "C:\Home videos" of type "Home videos".  No issues.  Strange they would work as one type and not another.  I though HV was just a type that didn't look for images and metadata online, other than thought they should function the same. 

Anyhow, they work as Home videos for me

Steps

Clicked on Media Folders

Click Home videos folder

Select a video

Click Play worked

Ultroman

Yes, I put them in the folder "C:\Home videos" of type "Home videos". No issues. Strange they would work as one type and not another. I though HV was just a type that didn't look for images and metadata online, other than thought they should function the same.

Anyhow, they work as Home videos for me

Steps

Clicked on Media Folders

Click Home videos folder

Select a video

Click Play worked

Wow, that's really weird, considering what cmcg just wrote. The clot thickens!

FrostByte

Wow, that's really weird, considering what cmcg just wrote. The clot thickens!

I never had type Home videos before today and those 4 files are the only thing in there except the nfo and poster it created from each videos.  Maybe you have something in the folder interfering with it?  Not sure, that's just weird they don't work as a certain type.  Maybe delete the Home videos type and folder and try re-adding them may help.  Just guessing here

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

@@Ultroman - It's not how I have my TV shows/episodes set up, but each to their own :)

Home Videos should still play though, unless the server is doing something different due to their type.

Does the server even interrogate the video files to determine what format they are etc.?

What does the media info from Emby server show?

FrostByte

They look like any other mkv file on my server.  A nfo file got created, the mediainfo looks good.  It extracted an image from the video as the poster (though it's landscape).  No backdrop, thumb or logo of course.

562d551ae2ac7_Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Ultroman

Hmm, mine doesn't retrieve much information about the videos in my 'Home Videos' content-type folder. This is a screenshot of the information available to me for the original of File1

post-6264-0-36366900-1445815473_thumb.png

Maybe it's because I created the folder a long time ago, and somehow it hasn't updated it to a new version of the folder type...or something. I'll test tomorrow.

Edited by Ultroman

Hi guys,

This is a beta build that I'm quite excited to bring you as it is really my first feature release. I expect that will wear off when the bug report start coming in!

In building towards 1.0 I wanted to include at least Photos and Home Movies as native media types in the main menu.
Comments left in the code by Chess indicate that the required APIs were not previously available.
Since browsing your photos should provide pleasure in itself, I concentrated on making that a new and attractive experience. Home Movies on the other hand is simply a new entry point to the standard folder browser.

v1.0.0c
Brand new photo browser in the main menu.
Home Movies now in the main menu.
Start a slideshow by clicking play on any photo folder, even on Photos in the main menu.
Logout and Forget moved to user setting "Forget Password at Next Logout".
Thinner white boarder on selected items with subtle backlight effect on E-Series and newer.
Home Movie thumbnail images now displayed.
Static backdrops on Photos, Media Folders and Music A-Z pages.
Max level changed to 4.1 for all models.
Colour buttons in the slideshow viewer rearranged to match other pages. (Red = Favourites, Yellow = Help, Green = Date:Time)
Fixed: View TV or Movies by genre - broken since 1.0.0a.

Removing "Log Out and Forget" from the main menu is a practicality, the same as removing Contributors was. We need the spaces to allow for the new entries.
The new photo viewer is not yet used as the default if you browse to your photos via the Media Folders entry point. I thought I'd leave the old one there for now so that you can compare them when you identify issues.
BTW. If you thought you already had the ability to play a slideshow of any folder in your photos, try clicking play on a folder that only contains other folders. It works in the new photo browser.

Also, the new photo browser never leaves your top level folders without a nice thumbnail image. If there are no photos directly in that folder it searches further down for an image.
I knew you'd want the ability to play a slideshow of all of your photos. Clicking Play when you're in the main menu is not obvious so I'm not that happy with it but it will do unless you have a better idea for me.

• Like 4

FrostByte

You changed the green button to Date/Time from watched/unwatched?  Is that just for pics then?

Nm, I'll just play with it and see :)

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

Just updated and I like the new Photos browser, but I can't work out how to start a slideshow of ALL photos from it.

I can play all (3000 still?) from the Media Folder, but not the new browser.

The date/time display still doesn't persist across sessions, so I still have to press GREEN to show just the date, which you can't do in the screensaver.

Other than that, great work :)

Edited by CBers

Just updated and I like the new Photos browser, but I can't work out how to start a slideshow of ALL photos from it.

Don't actually go into the photo browser. Press Play when you have Photos highlighted in the main menu. It's not as obvious as selecting the folder in Media Folders.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ok, a little more information.  I'm seeing this on my HTS and my TV

If you set Default User to false, then clicking Photos on the Main Menu will bring up the Logon screen.  After clicking the user it dumps you back to the Home screen

If you have Default User set to True, then clicking Photos from the Menu just dumps you back to the Home screen

Edit: even when you're in movies it dumps back to Home when clicking Photos.  It pauses like it's trying to do something, then movies shows up for a second and then it dumps all the way back to Home automatically

Edited by FrostByte

Hmm, that sounds like a server non-200 response. It means we asked the server for something that doesn't exist. It causes a log out. Can you compare the TV and server log to see what's going on?

FrostByte

Roger will do.  The TV log doesn't show much, just some times though they may be long.  I'll snap a pic of it.  The Screen saver is still showing pics correctly so that part is working.  The Photos subfolders from Media folders doesn't look correct either.  Clicking Photos from top does nothing.  I'll snap a pic of that too.  Also looking at server log now

FrostByte

Additionally, I think this is another bug not related and may have been there prior to 1.0.0c.  If you go to Media Folders, Photos I'm seeing the same thing I saw before with Genres which you just fixed.   Notice just the one folder in the top left and the one label which you can scroll

Btw that's a pic of glare on my tv, not the actual glare on my tv taken by this pic :)  If that makes sense

562f973181017_WP_20151027_003.jpg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1