Beta Release Thread

cmcg

Ok, here’s the earliest possible look at the next iteration. This is edging closer to what I’d have liked to release this time around but due to 0.592 being pulled a couple weeks ago I felt that 0.593r was stable and ready to go.

I've spent much of today looking at audio channel switching so the UI took a bit of a back seat in the end. Try it with the files we've been looking at today and see if it's better.

This is the second half of my intended changes to the way the main menu works and I hope brings into focus what I am trying to achieve. That being the illusion that the screen space is bigger than the physical screen. The idea that you "open" the menu should now be forgotten and replaced with the impression that it is constantly there and you just need to move into that area of the screen.

That’s not to say that I’ve addressed the concerns some people retain about this design. However, if you take browsing to previous episodes for example, that’s a hidden feature that I don’t find acceptable in its old form. This feeds directly into the idea of six button control. Up, down, left, right, select and back. I do want to fix episode browsing but to do it in a such a way that it respects six button control requires something to select, and that will also avoid it falling foul of the menu being on the left.

Try to stay with me on this. I think these ideas are really complimentary. They surface functionality that might otherwise be missed and will allow both long meanders through your content or instant access to the section of your choice. But it’s going to take a while to get everything in place.

v1.0.0a
Whole page flows right when the main menu opens.
Favourite items now shown with a heart.
Add Favourite moved to the red button to match the pretty hearts!
Mark a whole season watched.
Unwatched count shown in TV series.
The selected TV series or Movie is indicated using movement instead or the white boarder.
Fixed: In the Log page, clicking Log takes you to TV Settings.
Fixed: Video crashes when switching audio stream.

Known Issues:
The favourites page is broken.
TV and Movies by Genre is broken.

Edited by cmcg
  • Like 2

FrostByte

It's been sitting at the splash screen with no versionfor 5 minutes now on my HTS :)

It did say "1.0.0" when highlighted in the hub though, so I should have the correct one.  Power cycle didn't help, will try deleted and installing fresh

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Ok, after deleting and reinstalling I'm in.  If nothing changed in that time then deleting the app was the trick.  So far it seems like scrolling is slower to respond on my HTS.  Just started to play, so will report back later

Odd about the upgrade issue. Nothing changed in the settings file.

Scrolling shouldn't be slower, quite the reverse. There's a really efficient new routine for updating an single items instead of refreshing the whole page when you change the watched or favourite status of an item. It saves having the whole page flash. You can see the difference as I've not implemented that on the home page yet.

FrostByte

Ok, there is something wrong with the auto login I think.  It's stuck at the splash screen again

Edit: I think there is also something wrong when hitting Return after I cleared the log.  I went back to the main screen and I couldn't see any of my media.  I'm locked out of the app again now though

Edited by FrostByte

Ultroman

...if you take browsing to previous episodes for example, that’s a hidden feature that I don’t find acceptable in its old form. This feeds directly into the idea of six button control. Up, down, left, right, select and back. I do want to fix episode browsing but to do it in a such a way that it respects six button control requires something to select, and that will also avoid it falling foul of the menu being on the left.

Sooo, making buttons for 'Previous episode'/'Next Episode' in the options on the left, when viewing an episode, or something? I can live with something like that :)

I know it'll probably be a ***** to fix sync-issues (especially when FF/RW'ing) and stalling videos, but may I make a wish here for it being a high priority for the next release? It's really annoying, and the more videos I try out, the more I find breaking sync. It's getting to the point where my GF is almost forcing me to switch to Plex, because she can't watch her series, and I REALLY don't want to switch! I love Emby so much!

FrostByte

Ultoman, can you upload a splice?  I'm not seeing any sync issues and my files are a lot bigger than yours in the mediainfo

FrostByte

Nope, the service is still good.  It was really odd.  All my media was there and once I went into the log and cleared it and hit return my media was gone and the headers were all crammed together, no spaces between the types.  I had just changed what is shown on the main screen before I went into the log, I will need to play some more once I get back in to see if I can do it again. 

Right now I can't get in again  I'm probably going to have to delete the app again and reinstall.  I'm just not going to get past this splash screen it looks like. 

FrostByte

Ok, got it to do it again.

Start app

Changed Home V1 and 2 to New TV and New Movies

Go to log file

Clear log

Hit Return

No media is shown

Hit left arrow on remote.  Collections and Media Folders runs together

Oh yeah. That's really broken!

I guess the new page refresh routine is breaking the New TV and/or New Movies view. Once you set it to be the home page default you can no longer load the app. Bummer.

I need to reinstall now. :)

FrostByte

I would post a screen shot, but I have a nasty glare on my tv now from outside and no shades.

I've gotten the app to lock up both times I did that.  Deleting the log may have nothing to do with it,  that's just what I was doing both times in that order.  It could just be changing the Home Views to New TV and New Movies aren't working.  Once I'm back on the main screen though everything locks up.

Oh, when I went back in I'm stuck at the splash screen again.  3 times now.  Next time I will try and remember to tell it  not to remember the pw.  Thinking the text pad popping up makes the splash screen go away.  I did notice the screen saver eventually kicks on if I leave the splash screen up long enough.  So I think the splash just isn't be told to go away when you remember password

No screenshot required. I can see the issue for myself. I've clearly broken that New TV view and setting as the default therefore breaks the whole app. I'll try to fix it in the next beta. Can you use the defaults for now?

FrostByte

Ya, np. I am just about to delete the app now and reinstall.  Will remember to not save the pw also.  Will play around some more once I'm back in

FrostByte

Well, telling it not to remember the pw worked so I shouldn't have to reinstall anymore.  Leaving all settings at default for now

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

It appears like all posters have all 4 of their edges trimmed off.  I could see the whole poster in 593

FrostByte

Looking at it again it may just be the bottom, but it's definitely all posters.  Top is 1.0, bottom is .593

56241ed0df3e1_WP_20151018_004.jpg

56241eb04f55b_WP_20151018_001.jpg

I see. Apologies. I use clear case and didn't realise the exact size of the default images. They are being clipped because of the extra frame I created to contain the item and let it move up and down a bit when selected. I'll tune the frame size. I'm not actually married to this way of indicating selection. I just find the thick white boarder jarring and wanted to try something different. The idea is to provoke discussion and then pick a selection indicator to implement throughout the app. I like how this works on a busy page like this but I'm not sure it will work on the home page, or if you only have a few items on a page. Perhaps we still need some visual change like a back light glow? BTW. New TV and New Movies are fixed for the next beta.

56249ea02d396_Seriesclearcase.png

• Like 1

CBers

Just installed v1.0.0a first time without issue.

Just gonna go through things and see if anything is broken ;)

• Like 1

I'll save you the trouble. It is!

Better to see what you think of the changes to the main menu open action, the selected item indication in All TV and All Movies and the way adding and showing Favourites has changed (not the actually Favourites page, that's in a right state just now).

Also, see if the audio switching and subtitles switching issues are any better.

FrostByte

I like the new switching, maybe a little backlight so it's a little more obvious where you're at.  Can live with either way though

I won't be able to test the audio/subtitle change thing.  All my movies have just the one original language track and if needed one English subtitle

• Like 1

CBers

I'll save you the trouble. It is!

LOL

Better to see what you think of the changes to the main menu open action, the selected item indication in All TV and All Movies and the way adding and showing Favourites has changed (not the actually Favourites page, that's in a right state just now).

Also, see if the audio switching and subtitles switching issues are any better.

Main menu open option?

Will check out the rest.

Still don't like the left button function.

• Like 1