Beta Release Thread

cmcg

SilentAssassin

The same thing happened to me yesterday when I had to uninstall the app and tried installing P.

To "fix" it, I had to install the STABLE version, enter the correct details, then upgrade to the latest.

Do your settings persist upgrades? Every time I upgrade I have to setup like its a new installation. I assumed this was the case with developer side loaded apps, and only once it is a store app that settings would be saved to the TV memory and survive upgrades.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Do your settings persist upgrades? Every time I upgrade I have to setup like its a new installation. I assumed this was the case with developer side loaded apps, and only once it is a store app that settings would be saved to the TV memory and survive upgrades.

I usually just upgrade and all my settings remain loading beta off of IP.  Only if I delete and reinstall do I ever have to reenter my settings.

Also, cmcg mentioned the app may never make it to the store because Samsung is no longer taking Smart TV app submissions.  If you're side loading because your TV won't install then you may be stuck doing so

SilentAssassin

I usually just upgrade and all my settings remain loading beta off of IP.  Only if I delete and reinstall do I ever have to reenter my settings.

Also, cmcg mentioned the app may never make it to the store because Samsung is no longer taking Smart TV app submissions.  If you're side loading because your TV won't install then you may be stuck doing so

Yes.

When I say side loading I mean logging in as develop and entering the IP and starting an app sync. I see on the TV the app then disappear and then the updated app appear. When then opening the app I have to setup from scratch. Is this an issue with the app or the way my TV's work with develop apps, they are all H6400's.

CBers

Does your TV not retain the IP address that we sync from?

I never have to put it in, unless it changes for some reason.

That's different to our F-Series experience @SilentAssassin 

I only lose my settings if I uninstall first.

I know from the emulator that the settings are stored outside of the application folder so normally it should be able to replace the app without losing your settings. But it does sound like your experience is different. Your TVs are all H-Series right?

There is definitely a difference from F to H series. I have both and the F remembers the IP and also settings whrn upgrading. The H does not and needs to be started from scratch each time. I think this is to do with how they handle user accounts. On F series the develop account remains logged in whereas on H series I have to re-login as develop if I switch off the TV.

• Like 2

CBers

On my F8000, I always have to re-login to the develop account each time I do a sync.

It seems to log out on power off.

FrostByte

When I say side loading I mean logging in as develop and entering the IP and starting an app sync. I see on the TV the app then disappear and then the updated app appear. When then opening the app I have to setup from scratch. Is this an issue with the app or the way my TV's work with develop apps, they are all H6400's.

Sorry, when I see sideload I automatically think from usb

When installing I always have to reenter the IP even though it shows it in the boxes on my TV from the last install.  If I do not it will not connect.  Not sure what it is, but I've always had to do this. 

I also can't get to the box where you place a check mark to auto logon with 'develop' because it's grayed out, even though I'm sure I could at one time

After the update is done, then I do have to repin the app to "My apps" by using Edit app.  It seems to delete the icon every time, but when I start the app all my settings are still there (unless cmcg throws me a curve :) )

It seems like every tv is different

That's my experience on my F8000 as well @@FrostByte

Have to log as develop each time, have to pin to My Apps each time but my settings are remembered.

FrostByte

It's strange that even though you and CBers have F8000 tvs like me that you don't have to reenter the IP like I do, must be a difference between firmware in UK/US

CBers

I also have to re-pin the app in My Apps.

Have had to do that for ages.

I think I'm running 1128 firmware and there was no update yesterday when I checked.

Wow,this makes me like my E-Series.  It stays logged in as develop, I just have to tick the 'Agree' box in the Terms of service if I want to update the app.  It remember the IP, login, settings, everything.  I install over the top, no restart, I don't even exit SmartHub.  I just fire app the app and it works.

Having said that, just getting the SmartHub to load can be the biggest issue on this model.  It frequently wants it's updates from Samsung, and that's if it doesn't crash the SmartHub on loading...

• Like 1

FrostByte

It's nice to have a second device to use for apps in case Samsung screws something up :)  I actually held off for a long time updating my TV after several people with H models couldn't use the app when they updated their firmware.

However, now that I think of it I don't think automatic update of firmware has worked the last couple of times, I think I had to do them manually 

CBers

Er, just noticed that the time displayed in the app is now correct again, without the need to use the offset.

This is very confusing, as I set it to +1 yesterday as it was an hour behind.

SilentAssassin

That's different to our F-Series experience @SilentAssassin

I only lose my settings if I uninstall first.

I know from the emulator that the settings are stored outside of the application folder so normally it should be able to replace the app without losing your settings. But it does sound like your experience is different. Your TVs are all H-Series right?

Yes they are H6400.

I always just assumed you had to enter the ip each time I'll try without for the latest version and see what happens.

SilentAssassin

Just tried requesting an app sync without entering an IP and nothing. Selected the option to enter an IP and as always it is blank, it hasn't remembered the last one used. I enter the IP and then request a app sync and the update comes down. Upon opening I have to start over with the settings.

@@cmcg not sure how the emulators work but can you emulate specific series of TV, could you try it with the H series?

FrostByte

I have always gotten this same problem with my F8000.   This happens before the app is loaded though so not sure there is a fix

Just tried requesting an app sync without entering an IP and nothing. Selected the option to enter an IP and as always it is blank, it hasn't remembered the last one used. I enter the IP and then request a app sync and the update comes down. Upon opening I have to start over with the settings.

@@cmcg not sure how the emulators work but can you emulate specific series of TV, could you try it with the H series?

FrostByte

The only difference with mine is the IP is in the box, but it doesn't think it's there for some reason and I have to reenter the IP before app sync

FrostByte

It almost sounds like the app is getting deleted before installing, at least that's the only time I need to reenter all the settings from the app.