Beta Release Thread

cmcg

v0.593i
Fixed: "Loading" displayed if music is playing when video starts.
Known Issues:
"Now Playing" button in Music player not working.

Sorry about that one. It was introduced by me when I fixed a bug in v0.593d that was kind of the opposite of this one. Basically, once the video player or music player have been used they are hard to kill so you have the constantly check what the other is doing before starting a new thing, if you see what I mean. Otherwise the wrong page steals focus and you're stuck.

I think we're getting there now though. Who thinks we can stabilise this release before I run out of letters? :)

• Like 2

Ultroman

Using v0.593i, pressing the red Help-button locks all other keys but the return/exit key on my H-series. Well, sort of. Pressing any button removes the help-menu, but they don't work for what they usually do after I've opened the Help-menu. I have to restart the app, and then the buttons work again, until I click the red button again.

Edited by Ultroman

FrostByte

@@FrostByte The guy from your avatar? :D

Hey, that's the guy!!  Looks just like him

v0.593i

Bug: The Now Playing now has the correct icons for skip track, but they are still mapped to FF/RW on the remote

CBers

No. These betas are small iterations. Nothing is changed that's not in the release notes. Photos works the same for me. Can you post steps to replicate?

Other than highlighting a photos folder and pressing the play button?

FrostByte

Can "Photos" be added to the menu like on the webclient since Media Folders is going away?  Right now media folders is the only way to go to Photos

• Like 2

Ultroman

Can "Photos" be added to the menu like on the webclient since Media Folders is going away?  Right now media folders is the only way to go to Photos

Will I be able to add the Media Folders item to the top menu myself, when it is removed for good?

I never use Photos, so I would like to remove that from the list. Will we ever have that kind of customizability?

Edited by Ultroman

FrostByte

Using v0.593i, pressing the red Help-button locks all other keys but the return/exit key on my H-series. Well, sort of. Pressing any button removes the help-menu, but they don't work for what they usually do. I have to restart the app.

I can't seem to duplicate this on my F series TV.  Must only effect H

FrostByte

Will I be able to add the Media Folders item to the top menu myself, when it is removed for good?

It may not go away.  It was just a question to find out what peoples opinions are on the top menu.  I'm sure something will be done so people can still get where they want quickly

• Like 1

FrostByte

I never use Photos, so I would like to remove that from the list. Will we ever have that kind of customizability?

It shouldn't show anything on the menu if you have none of that type.  If it does then it should be able to be fixed to hide

• Like 1

@@Ultroman The app currently has no Photos or Home Movies menu items (except via the Media Folders view) as those APIs were not variable when Chess was writing it (according to some comments he left in the code).

As @@FrostByte says, media types that are empty are excluded from the menu so I expect if I add those features I would do the same.

• Like 2

Using v0.593i, pressing the red Help-button locks all other keys but the return/exit key on my H-series. Well, sort of. Pressing any button removes the help-menu, but they don't work for what they usually do after I've opened the Help-menu. I have to restart the app, and then the buttons work again, until I click the red button again.

@@Ultroman with the Help overlay open, any key press will close it. That much is intended behaviour. But failing to regain focus on the page behind is not. I can't replicate the issue on either my the emulator or on my F series TV but I found a couple of missing semi-colons in the code for that page. It may be that H series cares more about this then F series. I'll not do a release just for a semi-colon but I'll give you a shout to test it in the next beta if I may. Thanks.

• Like 3

fluffykiwi

A possible remote key that is on both normal remotes and smart remotes is REC or GUIDE.

On smart remotes you hold YELLOW for REC. On the silver 2014 H Series version they removed the dedicated MENU button and it is accessed by holding GREEN.

I'd personally like the side menu on RED as it does seem very important and you could maybe have a Help entry within the side menu. Just a suggestion as regular users will not access help often and new users can find help easily within the menu. Help also currently opens with INFO on all screens and RED on Main Screen. INFO is also accessible on Smart remote by holding BLUE.

Please note using RED instead of TOOLS is my personal preference, as I use my Smart Control for controlling my TV, Cablebox, Bluray Player and more and Emby is the only app that makes me use my virtual remote, and then only when selecting TOOLS button. On bluray player using smart remote for tools involves pressing virtual remote key, pointing and clicking on tools button on screen, then selecting BD Player Tools from the TV Tools menu that appears.

btw love the addition of watched and Favourite on GREEN and YELLOW. Very useful as I was occasionally using pc or android versions to change Watched flag, and I might even use favourites now. :)

Edited by fluffykiwi
  • Like 3

FrostByte

Right now the Help is on two keys with my remote.  Red and the old Info button.  I'm sure cmcg will reultilize one of them.

I can see your point with the Red button being the side menu for those without the Tools button.  With the colored buttons at the bottom now it seems a shame to use that first button for something I'm probably not going to use unless some dramatic changes are made to the help.  Guide would seem a natural place for a help screen, but I don't have that button on my remote

5611c4fee1e31_Untitled.jpg

fluffykiwi

Also no REC on your remote FrostByte so that pretty much rules that out as an option as well.

I'll just have to hope cmcg chooses to use RED for side menu and puts a Help entry in the side Menu, instead of a permanent dedicated button for people to probably read once. Or even keeps help on INFO.

Edited by fluffykiwi
  • Like 2

FrostByte

Maybe these things don't have to be the same key for all remotes.  If you have Guide and I have Info maybe it could try and assign the same thing to both keys so which ever one we have it will work, or maybe it can return an error if it didn't find the one key and then try to assign the other key.  Could still add Help to the menu for people with neither.  I only use Help now when I'm desperate to find more bugs :)

Edited by FrostByte

fluffykiwi

I do not mind whatever is decided as I can modify the code enough to customise it to my own preferences, and load it from the USB hard drive I keep attached to my TV.

I'm even tempted to try a quick and nasty 1080 version by simply doubling most resolution setting, coordinates and pixel size settings.

I know it would take a lot more work to do it right, but would probably help me understand the code better.

Edited by fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi

Possible error within music playing. Not due to any recent change as confirmed in v0.588

If you have used Screen to blank the screen, pressing RETURN force closes the app.

I expected it to turn the screen back on like any other button.

Edited by fluffykiwi
  • Like 3

fluffykiwi

Using v0.593i, pressing the red Help-button locks all other keys but the return/exit key on my H-series. Well, sort of. Pressing any button removes the help-menu, but they don't work for what they usually do after I've opened the Help-menu. I have to restart the app, and then the buttons work again, until I click the red button again.

I can confirm error on H Series TV and F Series Bluray Player in v0.593i

Load Emby

Press RED - help box appears

Press any other key - help box disappears.

App now locks and only responds to RED or INFO.

Edited by fluffykiwi
  • Like 2

fluffykiwi

Minor error within F Series Bluray and H Series TV. Not recent as in v0.588 and still present.

Pressing INFO in Home View moves focus to 1st item in top row but does not move white border showing focus.

Open Emby

Navigate to Home View 2 selections - white border shows navigation position

Press INFO x 2

Press right

Home view 2 icon keeps white border showing selected item and Home view 1 icon also shows white border looking like two selections made.

Would expect focus to remain on entry that was highlighted before INFO was pressed.

More seriously if you press return while help is displayed Emby closes from any screen.

Edited by fluffykiwi

CBers

You've removed Photos screensaver and the ability to play all the photos in a Photos folder?

No. These betas are small iterations. Nothing is changed that's not in the release notes. Photos works the same for me. Can you post steps to replicate?

Other than highlighting a photos folder and pressing the play button?

Updated to 593i and Photos won't play from the top level folder (Photos).

They work if I enter a sub-folder.

Nothing written to the app log.

FrostByte

I can confirm error on H Series TV and F Series Bluray Player in v0.593i

Load Emby

Press RED - help box appears

Press any other key - help box disappears.

App now locks and only responds to RED or INFO.

I can duplicate this now on my F series TV.  However, hitting RETURN seems to unlock everything back to normal

Edit: You have to hit TOOLS and then RETURN in order to get things back.  If you don't then just hitting RETURN exits the app back to hub

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

More seriously if you press return while help is displayed Emby closes from any screen.

Got this too.  RETURN doesn't even have to be the next click after INFO to make the app exit to the hub.  I can press several other keys and then as soon as I click RETURN it exits.  The only way I got it not to exit was to go to another screen first.  Then RETURN doesn't exit the app

Minor error within F Series Bluray and H Series TV. Not recent as in v0.588 and still present.

Pressing INFO in Home View moves focus to 1st item in top row but does not move white border showing focus.

Open Emby

Navigate to Home View 2 selections - white border shows navigation position

Press INFO x 2

Press right

Home view 2 icon keeps white border showing selected item and Home view 1 icon also shows white border looking like two selections made.

Would expect focus to remain on entry that was highlighted before INFO was pressed.

Both confirmed. Thanks.

(To be clear, these are confirmed as pre-existing in 0.590 so they won't interrupt the current release but I will address them.)

Edited by cmcg
  • Like 1