Theme: blue neon night

speechles

Jdiesel

There is another topic on this and I thought the green screen issue was resolved or was that just in the Official app?

Could be. I've never experienced it myself so I can't confirm if it's still an issue.

Is there any chance of getting Emby to auto/force transcode the MPEG4 files. It still seems pretty hit and miss with direct play. sometimes it works fine, sometimes it still gets the green screen. If I force transcode it plays perfectly every time; but then I have to do it for each single episode, , , yikes.  I gave up counting how many of these files I have sometime after 200; and it's gonna take forever to fix them. If Emby can't handle them without user intervention; my family won't use Emby.

So far, I'm really liking the look and feel and really want to switch over full time, so I don't have to keep track of two different systems.

Until RokuOS 8.0 hits, I am leery of making any changes to the logic for that part. Play a file that green screens on direct play, next reboot the roku, then after it boots back up, start emby and play that same file, now it plays perfectly. So something is messing with their environment variables and breaking things. The roku is basically, an android box, without android. It is a linux kernel with a jail the apps all run in. Thats why it uses the custom brightscript language to keep apps from access the real kernel and root access.

I also notice an audio problem if you use the "search" button on the remote, or press the * button 4x quickly to start the audio guide, this will cause the audio to get loud/softer in cycle, as if the mixer is borked. So annoying, but it isn't the apps fault these problems occur. It is roku's fault.

In the blue neon app, you can find the setting for "reset play method" in preferences. Change this to "NO" and it wont reset back to "auto" all the time. It will only revert to "auto" when starting the app, and it does that so people don't forget and leave it on force transcoding when not intending to.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Could be. I've never experienced it myself so I can't confirm if it's still an issue.

There is a sample here, just tested it again and both apps get green screen unless you transcode it.

Also lots of discussion starting about 5 pages back.

Edited by Happy2Play

mikeraburn

@@speechles

Hold the line on making changes until OS 8.0, indeed.

When OS 8.0 hits, get a gallon of your favorite adult beverage, and update then!!

• Like 1

Jdiesel

I can confirm that the Top Gear test file direct plays fine with no green screen or artifacts on firmware 8.0  :)

The timestamps seem to be messed up though

59dff7fa2d9ec_Capture.png

• Like 1

Today I'm finding that BN is transcoding all my H264 web-dl (amazon / hulu) TV shows. I haven't changed any settings on the server or in BN recently.

I remember even a couple weeks ago that dts-hd movies were direct play / stream in BN but I don't have logs from those any longer.

Using premier+, firmware 7.7 4154

Black-ish - S04E01 - Juneteenth 1080p HDTV H264 AAC 2017-10-03.mkv.mediainfo.xml

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - S05E03 - Kickz 1080p HDTV H264 AC3 2017-10-10.mkv.mediainfo.xml

logs.7z

Flamebird

There is another topic on this and I thought the green screen issue was resolved or was that just in the Official app?

I thought it had been fixed as well. But apparently not.  That seems to be the problem; it's completely random, even on the same file. Sometimes it will play and sometimes it won't. By default it seems to try to direct play which is when we get the "will it play or will it be green" issues. If I force transcode; it always plays fine.

I'd be happy to just set it to force transcode all MPEG4 files just to make it usable while I'm trying to clean up my own mess; but right now it seems that I have to check each file and then tell it to transcode if it's misbehaving. Major pain if the family is "binge-watching" a show and every second or third episode has to be changed to transcode it.

Happy2Play

I thought it had been fixed as well. But apparently not.  That seems to be the problem; it's completely random, even on the same file. Sometimes it will play and sometimes it won't. By default it seems to try to direct play which is when we get the "will it play or will it be green" issues. If I force transcode; it always plays fine.

I'd be happy to just set it to force transcode all MPEG4 files just to make it usable while I'm trying to clean up my own mess; but right now it seems that I have to check each file and then tell it to transcode if it's misbehaving. Major pain if the family is "binge-watching" a show and every second or third episode has to be changed to transcode it.

It is not ideal but you could just transcode everything.  I believe there is a option in Preferences to not auto reset playback mode.

Flamebird

Until RokuOS 8.0 hits, I am leery of making any changes to the logic for that part. Play a file that green screens on direct play, next reboot the roku, then after it boots back up, start emby and play that same file, now it plays perfectly. So something is messing with their environment variables and breaking things. The roku is basically, an android box, without android. It is a linux kernel with a jail the apps all run in. Thats why it uses the custom brightscript language to keep apps from access the real kernel and root access.

I also notice an audio problem if you use the "search" button on the remote, or press the * button 4x quickly to start the audio guide, this will cause the audio to get loud/softer in cycle, as if the mixer is borked. So annoying, but it isn't the apps fault these problems occur. It is roku's fault.

In the blue neon app, you can find the setting for "reset play method" in preferences. Change this to "NO" and it wont reset back to "auto" all the time. It will only revert to "auto" when starting the app, and it does that so people don't forget and leave it on force transcoding when not intending to.

That should definitely help; thanks. I couldn't find anything to do that cause I wasn't quite sure what to look for in the settings.

I have grave doubts that the new OS8 is gonna improve things; but hope springs eternal.

It's looking more and more like I'm gonna have to scrap my set-up and rebuild my library from scratch and not let anyone "help" putting stuff on it for me ( meaning stuff they wanna watch now).

olegeiser

Would be nice to try this out on my Roku 3 but I cannot login using my user name/pass. Doing the pin code route it displays configuration error. Any help would be appreciated.

I get a "Failure to post capabilities" error message when trying to log in - initially it kept saying invalid username/password which can't be right since I know for sure I was using the correct credentials. 

Tried wiping the registry settings but no luck

-Roku 2

-7.7 (build 4135)

-App version 4.23

New Version: 4.24

* revert devicename change

* fix max resolution logic

The max resolution preference was being overly aggressive. This would cause the setting to assume 720p as max, when AUTO should be max. Corrected this and it all works as it should now. Apologies for those it was broken for. @@lorac this should fix the transcoding so much problem.

Reverted the devicename changer. This is probably what is causing the "failure to post capabilities" and "invalid username/password" issues. Will re-investigate adding this back at a later date.

@@Nisten @@olegeiser are you still experience problems?

I used to use Blue Neon until the latest iteration of the native app.

What does Blue Neon do that is better than the native app for Roku 2 (2015 version) devices?

mikeraburn

There is no correct answer to what does it do better.

Personal Preference is a catch all answer.

Re-vist Blue Neon and see what it does for you.

I use the Blue Neon exclusively and I have tried the new app from time to time.

I prefer Blue Neon.

Why?

I have no freaking clue.

mediacowboy

Do not compare blue neon to the official app. As the official app has made leaps and bounds from the original. Which is what blue neon is based of.

Edited by mediacowboy

What does Blue Neon do that is better than the native app for Roku 2 (2015 version) devices?

Best short answer - it provides more playback options and in-app customization 

New Version: 4.24

* revert devicename change

* fix max resolution logic

The max resolution preference was being overly aggressive. This would cause the setting to assume 720p as max, when AUTO should be max. Corrected this and it all works as it should now. Apologies for those it was broken for. @@lorac this should fix the transcoding so much problem.

Reverted the devicename changer. This is probably what is causing the "failure to post capabilities" and "invalid username/password" issues. Will re-investigate adding this back at a later date.

@@Nisten @@olegeiser are you still experience problems?

Yep this fixed the post capabilities issue i was having  :)

* less button presses to do things, faster navigation

* full control over playback method (direct, transcode, transcode w/o stream copy)

* full control over audio codecs

* ability to use "also watching" (aka "also here") to add multiple users to a single users session

* full control over how many items can be displayed, search max limit, etc

* much easier to use season/episode screen for TV allows faster navigation

* view by studio and network

* better search results, more types shown, higher limits

* inactivity timer (aka sleep timer)

* multiple fallback methods to work through videoplayer errors

* full error reporting via dialog prompts

* customizable homescreen rows in app via toggles

* themes, change colors, change focus selector

* QuickViews, fastest way to get to: favorites, lastest by date, latest by premiere, continue playing, recently played, frequently played, and i feel lucky! (aka random)

* QuickLaunch to quickly get to another app from within this one, such as the official app, or netflix

* full sortby/sortorder/filter choices. SortBy 10 different categories, SortOrder both ascending and descending, and Filters for unplayed,  played, and resumeable

The main reason people use the app is for the ability to change the playback method. You want something to play direct and think it should, but app is always transcode? Then use "force direct" and see if the app throws an error and falls back to transcode. In general, there is far less button presses on your remote to acheive the exact same thing as the official app. If you use the app, make sure to look at the exhaustive preferences and change the ones that fit your use case.

The negavtives are, the app will soon become unmaintainable in 2018. This means if server changes break functionality there is no repairing them. I wont be able to upload a new .pkg to update the app with. The app will be deleted from your roku device at the beginning of 2019. Limited time offer to use this app.

Hopefully the official app adopts some of the things above, so that there is no need for a blue neon. But until that time, there is a need for one. Neither is better than the other, as @@mediacowboy mentioned you cant really compare the two. If you do, blue neon wins hands down on features and customization. The official app leads on eye candy. Which you choose is up to you, this is where you are your compass and choose which way to go,

@@mikeraburn Don't you have some "work" to do... lol... got my fishing pole in hand, going to "work" soon myself.. haw

@@Nisten my bad.. glad it was easy to sort out. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

* less button presses to do things, faster navigation

* full control over playback method (direct, transcode, transcode w/o stream copy)

* full control over audio codecs

* ability to use "also watching" (aka "also here") to add multiple users to a single users session

* full control over how many items can be displayed, search max limit, etc

* much easier to use season/episode screen for TV allows faster navigation

* view by studio and network

* better search results, more types shown, higher limits

* inactivity timer (aka sleep timer)

* multiple fallback methods to work through videoplayer errors

* full error reporting via dialog prompts

* customizable homescreen rows in app via toggles

* themes, change colors, change focus selector

* QuickViews, fastest way to get to: favorites, lastest by date, latest by premiere, continue playing, recently played, frequently played, and i feel lucky! (aka random)

* QuickLaunch to quickly get to another app from within this one, such as the official app, or netflix

* full sortby/sortorder/filter choices. SortBy 10 different categories, SortOrder both ascending and descending, and Filters for unplayed, played, and resumeable

The main reason people use the app is for the ability to change the playback method. You want something to play direct and think it should, but app is always transcode? Then use "force direct" and see if the app throws an error and falls back to transcode. In general, there is far less button presses on your remote to acheive the exact same thing as the official app. If you use the app, make sure to look at the exhaustive preferences and change the ones that fit your use case.

The negavtives are, the app will soon become unmaintainable in 2018. This means if server changes break functionality there is no repairing them. I wont be able to upload a new .pkg to update the app with. The app will be deleted from your roku device at the beginning of 2019. Limited time offer to use this app.

Hopefully the official app adopts some of the things above, so that there is no need for a blue neon. But until that time, there is a need for one. Neither is better than the other, as @@mediacowboy mentioned you cant really compare the two. If you do, blue neon wins hands down on features and customization. The official app leads on eye candy. Which you choose is up to you, this is where you are your compass and choose which way to go,

@@mikeraburn Don't you have some "work" to do... lol... got my fishing pole in hand, going to "work" soon myself.. haw

@@Nisten my bad.. glad it was easy to sort out. :)

Work is a "week" from Monday.

You all ain't got any REAL fish down there.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

Why is the app going to become unmaintainable?

Because it runs on sdk 1 and Roku is doing completely away with it come 2019 and forcing all developers to switch to sdk 2 in 2018 and won't allow updates.
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Why is the app going to become unmaintainable?

There was discussion about this back in August in this topic.

At least until the end of 2017, at that point the SDK1 will no longer be able to upload app updates. So for the 2018 year, the app will continue to work, but I will not be able to update it. In 2019, the SDK1 will be removed from roku firmware and at that point this app, and any others using SDK1 will be uninstalled by the firmware update. This is beyond my control and unfortunate, but it is what it is. Out of our control and something we can't change.

mediacowboy

There was discussion about this back in August in this topic.

Thanks I couldn't remember where that was posted and posting from my phone.

So the app won't be rewritten for SDK2? I'm sure it's a lot of work so hopefully some of these features will be included in the main emby app.