Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mikeraburn

When you update the Roku box it brings the apps you have newly added to your account from the web page to your boxes that are linked to the same account.

It will be at the VERY bottom of your Roku home page.

Yes, and my Roku is on the latest update.

mikeraburn

I notice the 720p vs 1080p also.

I too have a 1080p set.

If you are in device info in BN, scroll down further and you will see it is detecting a 1080p input. / output, whatever.

I have no idea where that first 720p is pulling data from.

Your second question..

I see that too but have never paid much attention to it.

If you go into Manage Server \ Libraries from the server side GUI you can edit the individual library images. 

Quick question please guys, I noticed the GUI for BNN is in 720p, is there any easy end user way that this can be 'modified' to be in 1080p instead?

I noticed the app also 'squashes' up the look of the media library folder icons too, there's no way to specify for the app to use custom icons that I could resize to fit the display parameters is there?

Cheers and happy 2018 to you all :)

Waldonnis

I notice the 720p vs 1080p also.

I too have a 1080p set.

If you are in device info in BN, scroll down further and you will see it is detecting a 1080p input. / output, whatever.

I have no idea where that first 720p is pulling data from.

Depending on the model, some Rokus will only render the GUI and overlays at 720p, even on a 1080p setting/television.  My best guess is that it is a limitation of the buffer/memory size dedicated to the GUI layer such that it can render full-screen video plus an overlay so it all fits in the memory allocated for the GPU.  If memory servers, I believe the 4k models will render the GUI at a higher resolution.  I have two Roku 3s and both render the GUI at 720p, but in past conversations, speechles revealed that his 4 renders at 1080p...which makes sense since the 4k models have significantly more memory to work with.

mikeraburn

I have the 2016 Ultra and to be honest I cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I haven't ventured into the 4K fad yet.

The ROKU DISPLAY setting itself is set to 1080p and since I have a 1080p tv that is good enough for me.

It works well enough for me as is.

mikeraburn

Have you tried clicking on the HELP in the In-Home (LAN) access and run through that wiki?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Treat that like a checklist.

Normally the servers available to you when setting up through BN are listed first than all the other options are below them.

I tried by entered it manually with port 8096/8920, but error persist.

mikeraburn

All those settings are set.

The regular Emby is working though.

Well that just stinks.

I have exhausted my "expertise".

You'll need to get server logs and post them so the more experienced members can decipher them.

I am sorry I couldn't get you going with Blue Neon.

techworld

hi guys,

I found out the culprit.

I overlooked the In-Home (LAN) access IP address.

Under the Advanced settings it's blank, but when I looked at the dashboard, somehow my LAN access IP has been changed.

I used it for three years now, this is the first time I encountered this issue.

After I changed it to the correct server IP, everything is working again.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Happy new year !

New Version: v4.25

* bug fixes

Fixed a few issues with remote control playback that existed. Also fixed a few music player problems. This will be the last update I will be able to publish on the roku store for this app, unfortunately.

But I can continue to offer zips for people to sideload onto their roku devices. So the store version cannot be updated after today, but the zip version can until 2019. So all is not lost, it just requires manual updates after today.

@@mikeraburn May the force be with you. Always! :D

• Like 2

mikeraburn

Ah yes, developer mode!

Like that game console game Contra!

Atari???

One of the MANY MANY times when you broke blue neon, on accident of course, you provided me a zip to side load.

I kept this my Google Keep should I ever need it again.

BUT the newer 2017 Roku's have no USB port except for the ULTRA, I believe,

On the roku homescreen, showing all your apps, press these buttons:

HOME x 3

UP x 2

RIGHT x 1

LEFT x 1

RIGHT x 1

LEFT x 1

RIGHT x 1

If done correctly, you should arrive a developer welcome screen.

Edited by mikeraburn

mattyg8

New Version: v4.25

* bug fixes

Fixed a few issues with remote control playback that existed. Also fixed a few music player problems. This will be the last update I will be able to publish on the roku store for this app, unfortunately.

But I can continue to offer zips for people to sideload onto their roku devices. So the store version cannot be updated after today, but the zip version can until 2019. So all is not lost, it just requires manual updates after today.

@@mikeraburn May the force be with you. Always! :D

I will try this update tonight hopefully it fixes the issues on one of my telstra tv's

mattyg8

I keep getting unable to post capabilities on one of my telstra tvs. I have have wiped the telstra tv twice and still keeps happening

mediacowboy

I keep getting unable to post capabilities on one of my telstra tvs. I have have wiped the telstra tv twice and still keeps happening

You may need to rename the tv to a friendly name using the app on your phone and then reboot the tv.

mattyg8

You may need to rename the tv to a friendly name using the app on your phone and then reboot the tv.

I will try it tonight

mediacowboy

To truly reboot the tv you will have to go under the settings a simple on and off does not work.

• 2 weeks later...

New Version: v4.26
* fix media sources api change
* add "AAC Downsample" preference

The media sources json object has changed. No longer does "name" list "resolution/video-codec/audio-codec". It now contains the "filename.ext" of the item, which is sort of redundant since you can already get this easily from the "path" field in the object (albeit this requires knowing the filesystem and direction of its slashes / vs \ and using split then getting the last index, but even still this isnt hard and effectively gives you filename.ext in the same way, but I digress..lol).

Now it is having to grab the "resolution/video-codec/audio-codec" information directly from the media sources themselves with a foreach, so there is a slight millisecond or so delay (read as a time penalty) in some screen rows populating. With large libraries you may notice this (it might take rows an extra second or so to appear), with small libraries you will never even know its changed. Either way to know the information on the items detail screen the same as it was before requires this extra step to tell the server what to do regarding direct-stream or transcode, rather than the server telling the app what to do (which happens with normal emby apps).

If you want to see the "name" or "path" in the media sources object use the "Show Overview/Info" button on an items detail screen (then click the "Media Information" button, if an overview is present). You can see everything that json object contains this way. I have not incorporated the new server feature (multiple versions of the same item) yet.  So it is not possible to pick which version 720/1080/4k/3d/-extra you want from the items detail screen. You are stuck with the version that appears.

Also added the "AAC Downsample" preference which will force transcoding for any AAC 5.1 audio on devices which support AAC downsample. These normally direct-play but if you want to keep surround sound setting this option to off instead of auto is required.

This app now requires sideloading to update. There is no other way as roku has blocked updates to sdk1 apps on its roku channel store front. The blue neon app on the roku store is thusly stuck at 4.25 and unable to ever move forward. This is okay. No reason to worry. There is another way. You too can do this.

To sideload on your roku device(s) is easy, you just need to do the "konami code" (Home x 3, Up x 2, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right) keypresses on your remote that enable developer mode, then set a developer password for your roku and let it reboot. You only need to do this once and your roku will allow sideloading a "dev" app. The developer portal on your roku will allow zip uploads (http://ip.of.your.roku).

Before uploading this zip you can change things, feel free to change images, any code, anything you want and have your own personal emby roku app designed by you. Feel free to share modified versions of that zip for others. Sharing is caring. You can only have 1 zip sideloaded. Any zip uploaded will overwrite the last. Settings/Registry will not overwrite, Keep this in mind.

The app will effectively end (terminated/funeral) January 1st, 2019. At this point a roku firmware update will remove any and all sdk1 support. This will also strip away any apps which are still dependent on sdk1 from appearing on the roku homescreen (in effect they are removed).

But... until that day... feel free to follow along with the provided zips...

"FULL" with "force" : http://ereader.kiczek.com/emby-roku-blueneonnight.zip
"SIMPLE" with "auto-detect" only : http://ereader.kiczek.com/emby-roku-blueneonnight-simple.zip

Have fun. :D

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

When can we expect the new new version of Blue Neon?

One that isn't stripped AFTER 1/1/2019?

Huh?

Huh?

I doubt that will happen unless he rewrites the entire app from scratch. Then again I have no idea how much work would be involved in that. This version was based off of the original emby app which was open source.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Huh?

honest answer? the juice isn't worth the squeeze. You may know that as a line from 2004's girl next door. It equates to the time and effort worth doing something must be rewarding to the person or why did they invest so much in it? It's a tricky answer because I can be honest now. You as in (@@mikeraburn) have been very kind. There were in total, 4 other kind people. Now not to throw amouts around either, the amounts given didn't equate to the time spent. The time spent was mostly a learning experience for me, and to custom tailor my own app with things I wanted it to do, over time, it just became a cool hobby to waste time on, as I could reap immediate benefits with a better emby app,

The same isn't true now. Emby has changed focus. Things are now kept private, and the spirit of the original project is now lost. So while I could write my own emby app from the bottom up from scratch quite easily, the motivation to do so becomes less when you are the sole developer. Your funding is little to non-existant. Emby team doesn't share revenue with third parties in any way shape or form, yet they gain awareness and premier adoption as a result of them. So the flow of things is not reciprocative at all.  There is no github open to collaborate on for these apps they write now. It goes against the policy of community, but I guess plex scares them so much they act like them. Its a weird world we live in.

So who would help write such an app for the community? Anybody want to raise their hands? 

Don't get me wrong either. I love emby and the roku. But the time it takes to produce something has to be worth it to me and the present climate makes it frightening to even start. Remember the others? Tikuf, gcw07, redshirt? You go down a slippery slope if you don't use history to make choices for your future.

I may eventually just whip something up out of boredom, but it would be nice if: a) emby team shared some of their code with others, or b) people started to collaborate together on an app, or c) more people who used an app would press the "donate" button. The reality though is: d) shut up and give us free apps.

Now those 5 who I mentioned, take heed. You are not who I mean. The ones who offered bug reports and things, take heed those things have value too. For those who did nothing but use the app and created a forum account just to see the link. Those people, for shame... *wags finger* ...

Now most of this is just random rantings and tangents, but honestly it is how I feel at the moment. @@mikeraburn no disrespect meant fine sir. We should do tea one day. Herbal tea. By tea I mean smoke a joint together. I have some fine product here in california I share with close friends I would share with you. *winky face emoticon here*

Edited by speechles

honest answer? the juice isn't worth the squeeze. You may know that as a line from 2004's girl next door. It equates to the time and effort worth doing something must be rewarding to the person or why did they invest so much in it? It's a tricky answer because I can be honest now. You as in (@@mikeraburn) have been very kind. There were in total, 4 other kind people. Now not to throw amouts around either, the amounts given didn't equate to the time spent. The time spent was mostly a learning experience for me, and to custom tailor my own app with things I wanted it to do, over time, it just became a cool hobby to waste time on, as I could reap immediate benefits with a better emby app,

The same isn't true now. Emby has changed focus. Things are now kept private, and the spirit of the original project is now lost. So while I could write my own emby app from the bottom up from scratch quite easily, the motivation to do so becomes less when you are the sole developer. Your funding is little to non-existant. Emby team doesn't share revenue with third parties in any way shape or form, yet they gain awareness and premier adoption as a result of them. So the flow of things is not reciprocative at all. There is no github open to collaborate on for these apps they write now. It goes against the policy of community, but I guess plex scares them so much they act like them. Its a weird world we live in.

So who would help write such an app for the community? Anybody want to raise their hands?

Don't get me wrong either. I love emby and the roku. But the time it takes to produce something has to be worth it to me and the present climate makes it frightening to even start. Remember the others? Tikuf, gcw07, redshirt? You go down a slippery slope if you don't use history to make choices for your future.

I may eventually just whip something up out of boredom, but it would be nice if: a) emby team shared some of their code with others, or b) people started to collaborate together on an app, or c) more people who used an app would press the "donate" button. The reality though is: d) shut up and give us free apps.

Now those 5 who I mentioned, take heed. You are not who I mean. The ones who offered bug reports and things, take heed those things have value too. For those who did nothing but use the app and created a forum post just to see the link. Those people, for shame... *wags finger* ...

Now most of this is just random rantings and tangents, but honestly it is how I feel at the moment. @@mikeraburn no disrespect meant fine sir. We should do tea one day. Herbal tea. By tea I mean smoke a joint together. I have some fine product here in california I share with close friends I would share with you. *winky face emoticon here*

Great post! Honesty is appreciated.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk