Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mikeraburn

I just updated my Synology NAS to Emby Server 3.2.330

It is grouping ALL of my two separate television libraries SUGGESTED into one instead for displaying them in their separate lines on my Roku BN.

Both lines for the two libraries have the same info.

I have two television libraries.

Same thing in the Beta too.

Did I miss a memo?

@@mikeraburn something is wrong with the parentID(folder separation) parameter which both apps are using.

@@Luke Did something change here?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

@@mikeraburn something is wrong with the parentID(folder separation) parameter which both apps are using.

@@Luke Did something change here?

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet!

No biggie.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

@@speechles,

Not your fault as the server is advancing faster then some of us can report issues but I noticed a few issues last night. When going into a series the app is not properly going to the next unwatched episode like it use to. I also noticed also watching is not working anymore. Getting error message saying "failed to load all user's profile" or something like that.

I figured out what was breaking "also watching" and fixed that.

Added a way to limit resolution, so you can force 720p or 1080p max resolutions now with a preference.

Now working on the "jump to" feature when entering a series that makes it move to the season and episode of your next up episode. This might be something wacky on the server end as this also affects the official app. I will debug on my end and figure it out.

Stay tuned.. there will be an update soon. :)

@@speechles, would it be possible to pop up a better error message when setting up a TCL TV?

Hmm.. I will look into this. I guess I can know if the app has ever been run or not. Then using this fact, I can adjust the device name to underscores automatically when the app starts, without affecting users who already have valid server authentication tokens. If the app has never been run it is okay to standardize the device name, otherwise leave it be for risk of breaking auth. Sounds good. How it works for real will be the test. I will try to get this in for next update too.

Note: to simulate a new app install (with this app at least) use the sign-out button. Move all the way to the right and find the trashcan icon, clear registry. After doing this, press the home button on the remote. This is the same as clearing app cache and app data in android.

Edited by speechles

New Version: v4.23
* add resolution max preference
* fix also watching (thx mediacowboy)
* add "first run" awareness (thx mediacowboy)
* add back device name sanitization (thx mediacowboy)

There is now a maximum resolution setting in preferences. Use this if your roku is connected to a 720p TV, but keep in mind the roku can natively downscale 1080p to 720p and using this may cause extra transcoding. This will in effect set a maximum resolution for the device for both direct play and transcoding. This is the only way to accomplish this using emby capabilities, and having the app control it all.

Also fixed the "also watching" bug which affected only newer server versions. This was caused by the url being built incorrectly. The app was adding an extra /emby onto the sessions endpoint which resulted in /emby/emby in the url which of course leads to a 404. This only affected Users/Public endpoint and no others. This is also corrected now and will always lead to a correct url. Apologies for the problem there. Thx to @@mediacowboy for finding this flaw.

The other addition is "first run" awareness. The app now knows when it has been ran for the first time and it will sanitize the device name. This will help users with TCL rokuTV since that device has characters in the device name which cause invalid username/password issues with the servers sha1 checksums. For users already with the app, if the app were to always sanitize the device name it will break their existing sha1 checksums tied to their auth tokens. This happens because their token is tied to their old device name. When authenticating with a santized device name this auth sha1 sum will not match. So this is why the first run awareness is sooooo important. With it, any new devices will be corrected and remembered. The app sets a registry setting if it was "first run" so it will always santize the device name ever after. Problem solved here. Thx to @@mediacowboy, yet again, for the impeccable bug hunting skills. :)

To fake a "first run" use sign out, and then scroll all the way to the right, and find the trashcan, aka clear registry, and click it. Afterwards, press the home button. Next time the app starts it will believe it is a new install. Only new installs will have their device name cleaned. Hope this explains enough. As always, enjoy, have fun, etc.

• Like 2

mediacowboy

Just glad I could help out. I'm really starting to dread the deadline and all the new changes being made on the server.

mikeraburn

What about the combined library SUGGESTED thingie?

Are you still trying to figure out what the SERVER update may or may not have did?

mediacowboy

What about the combined library SUGGESTED thingie?

Are you still trying to figure out what the SERVER update may or may not have did?

I did forget about this bug. When going to anime TV I get TV suggestions and vise versa. Thanks for pointing it back out. Just adding my two cents.

@@mikeraburn pretty sure its the server having nextup problems, which in turn causes the app to not know what to do. It assumes no nextup season/episode = first episode should be landed upon. My apologies sir. If this isnt the case let me know and I will remedy.

mikeraburn

The next up is indeed working.

SUGGESTED in BN on main screen.

But still doing what I described in my original post.

I am far from knowledgeable but since BOTH libraries are identified as TV in the library setting within the server, could that be what is causing it?

The server sees TV and doesn't care what I named the library or how I structure it, it just lumps ALL TV together. That would make sense.

If I drill down into the libraries in BN the NEXT Up line in that library is doing the same thing.  

Mixing my two libraries.

I do not use the Beta that often so I am not sure if that is the norm for that app.

Also, don't call me sir.

I "work" for a living.

The next up is indeed working.

SUGGESTED in BN on main screen.

But still doing what I described in my original post.

I am far from knowledgeable but since BOTH libraries are identified as TV in the library setting within the server, could that be what is causing it?

The server sees TV and doesn't care what I named the library or how I structure it, it just lumps ALL TV together. That would make sense.

If I drill down into the libraries in BN the NEXT Up line in that library is doing the same thing.

Mixing my two libraries.

I do not use the Beta that often so I am not sure if that is the norm for that app.

Also, don't call me sir.

I "work" for a living.

<3

Especially the word "work" in quotes.. lol

But really, I dont know why it isnt separate your TV. Do you have the display setting for that user set to not merge TV libraries? Im not home atm, and forget the exact setting name. It combines all your libraries such as TV, under one TV library. This obviously you would uncheck. If you already have this unchecked it has to be something changed in the server where it isnt returning a parentID any longer for your TV libraries. I will have to circle the wagons back on this when I get back home and round up a posse to hunt it down. So until we meet again, once I gets back, hopefully a new server update cures it without me having to meddle with the app. Sir was a bad choice of words, I meant friend, buddy, or pal. Someone I can joke with. Somelike like you. Haw. :)

mikeraburn

<3

Especially the word "work" in quotes.. lol

But really, I dont know why it isnt separate your TV. Do you have the display setting for that user set to not merge TV libraries? Im not home atm, and forget the exact setting name. It combines all your libraries such as TV, under one TV library. This obviously you would uncheck. If you already have this unchecked it has to be something changed in the server where it isnt returning a parentID any longer for your TV libraries. I will have to circle the wagons back on this when I get back home and round up a posse to hunt it down. So until we meet again, once I gets back, hopefully a new server update cures it without me having to meddle with the app. Sir was a bad choice of words, I meant friend, buddy, or pal. Someone I can joke with. Somelike like you. Haw. :)

Don't futz with your app.

I'm pretty sure I haven't merged libraries but I'll double check that.

It's just something new to get used to if it remains that way.

I'll wait for a new server update.

A new library build may not hurt either.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

mikeraburn

I can't  find where the merge libraries setting is in the serve GUI.

I remember seeing that box to check but for the life of me I cannot find it now.

Not the sharpest tool in yonder shed am I, sometimes.

I have to travel for week in two weeks.

If there is no fix for my issue by then I will remove my current TV libraries and re add them in.

Let it chug for 3 days while I am out of town "working". 

mediacowboy

I'm having the same issue anf I have all the merge settings disabled.

It's under the display options per user.

mikeraburn

VERY BOTTOM

I see that now.

I got hung up on the term "merge libraries".

Thanks

Wanna go fishing for steelhead and silvers a week from Monday, ah,.... I mean "work"?

Flamebird

Is there any chance of getting Emby to auto/force transcode the MPEG4 files. It still seems pretty hit and miss with direct play. sometimes it works fine, sometimes it still gets the green screen. If I force transcode it plays perfectly every time; but then I have to do it for each single episode, , , yikes.  I gave up counting how many of these files I have sometime after 200; and it's gonna take forever to fix them. If Emby can't handle them without user intervention; my family won't use Emby.

So far, I'm really liking the look and feel and really want to switch over full time, so I don't have to keep track of two different systems.

It should already do that. It will usually direct play / stream but if it can't it will transcode. Although I admit I really don't understand why some shows are being transcoded (sometimes BN / other times emby app).

Jdiesel

Is there any chance of getting Emby to auto/force transcode the MPEG4 files. It still seems pretty hit and miss with direct play. sometimes it works fine, sometimes it still gets the green screen. If I force transcode it plays perfectly every time; but then I have to do it for each single episode, , , yikes.  I gave up counting how many of these files I have sometime after 200; and it's gonna take forever to fix them. If Emby can't handle them without user intervention; my family won't use Emby.

So far, I'm really liking the look and feel and really want to switch over full time, so I don't have to keep track of two different systems.

Can you post the media info for one of the files that plays the green screen? Maybe it is a specific parameter that is causing the issue and can be forced to transcode automatically if all Roku's struggle with it.

Happy2Play

Can you post the media info for one of the files that plays the green screen? Maybe it is a specific parameter that is causing the issue and can be forced to transcode automatically if all Roku's struggle with it.

There is another topic on this and I thought the green screen issue was resolved or was that just in the Official app?