Theme: blue neon night

speechles

New Version: v4.20
* fix home screen tv latest display issues (thx happy2play)

@@Happy2Play Corrected the issue of when to use series image vs episode thumb image. Hopefully I made the right decisions that work for you and everyone else.

If you use grouped episodes, and are using poster, a series image will always be used unless one isn't available, in which case the episode thumb will stretch to poster size and be shown. The placeholder will only be shown if both primary series image and episode thumb do not exist or a series has multiple episodes within it and lacks a primary series image.

If you use grouped episodes, and are using thumb, a series image will only be shown for series with more than one latest episode. Single episodes will be shown using their normal episode image, not the series thumb. If thumb doesn't exist it will use backdrop as thumb. If backdrop and thumb don't exist and there are multiple episodes a placeholder will be shown.

If you use grouped episodes and are using backdrop this works the same as thumb. You will see little, if any, difference compared to just using thumb.

The home screen context menu is user independent and remembers. So userA can have the home screen load in thumbnail, and have all their screens set up as thumbs. This wont affect userB who keeps all their screens in poster. As each user logs in and alters the "Change View Style ..." of each screen, these changes are remembered for next time that user is back. So if you notice things "stick" and don't reset, this is why. The toggle positions of each row on the home screen and the context menu selections are remembered perpetually.

Updated all links in first post, have fun. Yay!!!

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

I want to like this app as I REALLY don't like the regular app. The one thing I cannot seem to figure out is a simple way to just play a video. When I have a video highlighted and I press "play" a complex menu with a LOT of options pops up. I do not want or need all that. When I press "play" I just want the selected video to play. Is there any way to accomplish that? Maybe a setting I have missed?

Thanks.

I want to like this app as I REALLY don't like the regular app. The one thing I cannot seem to figure out is a simple way to just play a video. When I have a video highlighted and I press "play" a complex menu with a LOT of options pops up. I do not want or need all that. When I press "play" I just want the selected video to play. Is there any way to accomplish that? Maybe a setting I have missed?

Thanks.

Hi, can you please open a topic and discuss why you don't like the Emby app? We'd like to work with you to improve it. Thanks !

Thanks.

The official app will do that :).

@@Gilgamesh_48 That is a feature of this app, haw.. the continuous play is awesome, or so I thought. This makes it possible to play things in incredible ways. But I see, an extra button press is just that. There is no debate, its an extra button press to click on "play selected" within the continuous play dialog.

I can make an option in settings called "use continuous play?", and have it default yes. Then turning it to no, will simply play the container (entire row of items from selected point on) without asking if youd like to chain together items in different sequences. In other words, there would be no continuous play dialog it would just play. This would be basically continuous play without needing the dialog. This is how the old official app did it. Perhaps this is what you were familiar with. It can be that way again.

You did not miss a feature. It just wasnt envisioned people would frown on that extra button press. Some people like simple and that dialog is not, I agree. Can we fix this? Yes we can!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

The official app will do that :).

Yes I know that but there are other things driving me to not want to use the "Official app."

I want simplicity by choice where I want it. I do not like being shoehorned into an app designed for the lowest common denominator.

It appears that this and the official app have aspects I like and others that I don't like. I guess there is no pleasing me.  :P

Gilgamesh_48

@@Gilgamesh_48 That is a feature of this app, haw.. the continuous play is awesome, or so I thought. This makes it possible to play things in incredible ways. But I see, an extra button press is just that. There is no debate, its an extra button press to click on "play selected" within the continuous play dialog.

I can make an option in settings called "use continuous play?", and have it default yes. Then turning it to no, will simply play the container (entire row of items from selected point on) without asking if youd like to chain together items in different sequences. In other words, there would be no continuous play dialog it would just play. This would be basically continuous play without needing the dialog. This is how the old official app did it. Perhaps this is what you were familiar with. It can be that way again.

You did not miss a feature. It just wasnt envisioned people would frown on that extra button press. Some people like simple and that dialog is not, I agree. Can we fix this? Yes we can!

I would REALLY like that option. It is not just the extra button press but it is also the fact that it requires a different button. That is I press "Play" and then I must press "OK" to achieve what I want to do. 

I never use or want to use any form of continuous play. I do not see any advantage and many disadvantages not the least of which is that at my age I sometimes fall asleep watching and I do NOT want several episodes to play through my sleep. Missing part of an episode is easily handled but missing several episodes is not so much so.

I know I am picky but that also comes with age. I want what I want and anyone that disagrees is clearly wrong!  ;)  :rolleyes:

I would REALLY like that option. It is not just the extra button press but it is also the fact that it requires a different button. That is I press "Play" and then I must press "OK" to achieve what I want to do.

I never use or want to use any form of continuous play. I do not see any advantage and many disadvantages not the least of which is that at my age I sometimes fall asleep watching and I do NOT want several episodes to play through my sleep. Missing part of an episode is easily handled but missing several episodes is not so much so.

I know I am picky but that also comes with age. I want what I want and anyone that disagrees is clearly wrong! ;):rolleyes:

Being I was born in 1969 I understand entirely. Having something work intuitively is how the app should work. It shouldnt feel like there is a missing option, or that something is complicated. Most users use that continuous play feature to play things for their children. From any episode, you press play on its tile (rather than ok to enter the detail screen) and can shuffle play an entire season, or play from here, or shuffle play that entire series, and flavors in between. It lets you keep the kids occupied and not hand them the remote. It also lets users fall asleep watching random episodes of series which arent sequential. Like seinfeld or cheers. Where which episode you have watched up to is less important as youve watched them all a billion times already.

The app does include a sleep timer, known as the interaction timeout. This can be set to many values. Set it to say, 30 minutes. Then when you get drowsy it will stop episodes from playing through the entire series. It will ask if you are still there and start a countdown for 60 seconds. When timer reaches zero it closes the video player. If you click OK the dialog overlay goes away. It reacts off the last keypress on the remote. This works to delay the timer until you really fall asleep. Press OK every now and then to show the OSD to keep it knowing you are there. Once it knows you havent done that in 30 mins up pops the timer countdown and presto. No more missed episodes with continuous play.

But I do understand entirely your use case and will make the change. No worries.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

@speechles 

Born in 1969??? You are just a child!!! Barely past the "wet behind the ears" stage. I graduated HS several years before that. 

But I do have to say that senility is a wonderful thing. I never have to watch a rerun.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Haven't tested in the new app, but the fallback transcoding playback works pretty good in NB for 4GB bug that has returned to Roku Firmware 7.7 4135.  Hopefully 4137 fixes the issue again.

techworld

Hi guys,

I haven't use Emby on Roku for a while, and today I found out that Emby crashed on Roku 4.

Whenever I browsing for media files, Emby crashed, and it went back to Roku homepage.

If I use the regular Emby app, then it's fine.

My Roku is up to date.

Happy2Play

Hi guys,

I haven't use Emby on Roku for a while, and today I found out that Emby crashed on Roku 4.

Whenever I browsing for media files, Emby crashed, and it went back to Roku homepage.

My Roku is up to date.

What firmware version is your Roku on?

Server version and app version?

Edited by Happy2Play

MBUser1

I have noticed a similar issue on my Roku 3 boxes. I can see the BNN 'Profiles' screen but when I try to log in to a couple of the non-admin profiles, one of two things occurs:

[bREAK]

1. I momentarily see the welcome screen, then I'm booted back out to the Roku home page.

[bREAK]

2. I am allowed in and I see the home screen of the profile, and if I do not use the remote at all, everything seems normal, but if I start to look around, then within a second or two I'm booted out to the Roku home page.

[bREAK]

I've discovered through much troubleshooting that if I remove the Movies library from these profiles, I can log in, navigate, and play content just fine.

[bREAK]

Oddly, I have another non-admin profile which the devices can log in to, navigate, and play content fine, including the Movies library content.

[bREAK]

The admin account, with full access to all libraries, can be utilized from every Roku device as well. The Admin profile and the other fully working profile are the most often used profiles in this household, daily use. The other profiles are 'occasional' use.

[bREAK]

This all started before this latest Roku update, 7.7 4135, and continues today. Concurrently its been ongoing through 3 versions of BNN. So this version, v4.20, the one before, and the one previous to that... all suffered this issue. The Emby server has gone through updates during this time as well. It's current now, 3.2.30.0, and the situation continues. BTW, throughout this issue, I've had no problem using the official Emby app.

techworld

Roku 3

v7.70 build 4135-04

Emby BNN v4.2.0

Emby server v3.2.30.0

Edited by techworld

I have noticed a similar issue on my Roku 3 boxes. I can see the BNN 'Profiles' screen but when I try to log in to a couple of the non-admin profiles, one of two things occurs: [bREAK] 1. I momentarily see the welcome screen, then I'm booted back out to the Roku home page. [bREAK] 2. I am allowed in and I see the home screen of the profile, and if I do not use the remote at all, everything seems normal, but if I start to look around, then within a second or two I'm booted out to the Roku home page. [bREAK] I've discovered through much troubleshooting that if I remove the Movies library from these profiles, I can log in, navigate, and play content just fine. [bREAK] Oddly, I have another non-admin profile which the devices can log in to, navigate, and play content fine, including the Movies library content. [bREAK] The admin account, with full access to all libraries, can be utilized from every Roku device as well. The Admin profile and the other fully working profile are the most often used profiles in this household, daily use. The other profiles are 'occasional' use. [bREAK] This all started before this latest Roku update, 7.7 4135, and continues today. Concurrently its been ongoing through 3 versions of BNN. So this version, v4.20, the one before, and the one previous to that... all suffered this issue. The Emby server has gone through updates during this time as well. It's current now, 3.2.30.0, and the situation continues. BTW, throughout this issue, I've had no problem using the official Emby app.

Hmm.. Maybe something in the app is stuck. On a user that can log into the app, choose "Sign Out". On the next screen, find the garbage can icon at the end labeled "clear registry". Click this button, you wont have to recreate your users. It just wipes the apps known servers, registry settings both globally and user level. When re-enter the app, the only side effect is it forgot all your settings/preferences. It will also make you log in again even if you have remember user set.

Once you do this, and there is still the same issue its definitely something in the app. I would need you to set your roku up as a development device, sideload the app zip, and read telnet from port 8085 on your roku as you use the app. The telnet logs will show exactly where its hard crashing.

I can attempt to roll through the apps brightscript crash logs, and see what I can fix in those. Roku provides these for all applications and tracks this for each developer. The only issue with this is you don't get a full backtrace. You just get the line/code which actually experiences the problem. Not the exact cause of the problem. But it is something I can look at to see if in there is something. I will get back to you if I find something.

If you need help getting your roku into developer mode, sideloading the app zip, or telnet let me know. There is a pinned walkthrough on how to sideload nowTV which is same thing as doing it on roku.

dev mode + sideload:

https://www.howtogeek.com/290787/how-to-enable-developer-mode-and-sideload-roku-apps/

There was a link on these forums how to sideload emby on nowTV but now that nowTV has locked their platform. This post seems hidden/deleted/archived. Read through the link above, it is giving correct advice on how to do this. It isn't illegal to do this either. So should be fine sharing the link. If you need help again let me know. Having the debug console error as the device crashes is very very useful to solve it. There is no need to use "enable debug" in app to see logs from a hard app crash. It is only useful to see the logs created by using "enable debug" if the app soft crashes, and hangs in-app. When it hard crashes back to the homescreen it is irrecoverable.

how to get debug logs:

In a web browser address bar use "<ip-of-roku-here>:8085" (without quotes of course) this will enter into the rokus debug console and start outputting, now recreate the crash.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

@@speechles

This happened to me way way back, while I was in my Roku3 days.

Maybe search the posts here?

You corrected it, back then, rather quickly.

You and I did the sideload thingie and communicated either direct in this forum or via PM.

I remember this because I was amazed at the support you gave me at that time and still do.

"Because You're Super Cool Like That"

techworld

I'd clear the Registry three times, signed out, signed in manually and Emby Connect.

Both method failed with either admin or non admin user account.

Any idea?

I'd clear the Registry three times, signed out, signed in manually and Emby Connect.

Both method failed with either admin or non admin user account.

Any idea?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-Theme:-blue-neon-night&do=findComment&comment=482675

I need debug logs from port 8085 from a roku device in developer mode with the app sideloaded. In the post above I explain how. This requires a 2nd device: pc, tablet, or phone to see the roku debug as the app crashes.

Note: On digging through brightscritpt crash logs of the app, I can see issues. Most of these are on firmware 7.6 with 4.16 or 4.18. I corrected some of these which I could find a root cause for. I also fixed crashes for firmware 7.7 on 4.20. In the crash logs I only get firmware version, app version, line crashed on with traceback. So almost equivalent as telnet debug but anonymously. Kinda cool. Anyways, I will have a new release soon to fix this. Stay tuned...

7f6ed32ec1aeeb27c003455a44e8fc7e.jpg

d04e60c38d334fc43c7d79f04ae859b8.jpg

You can see errors have gone down, concurrent user rates always hover around 145ish. Most errors occur with bad authentication, which cascades into other functions that depend on it and like a house of cards come crashing down. The logs above only occur if the app crashes back to homescreen, then I could possibly research your issue, if I know the app version you were using, the fimware version of your roku, and what you were doing when the app broke.

Edited by speechles

janicelcarter

I have noticed a similar issue on my Roku 3 boxes. I can see the BNN 'Profiles' screen but when I try to log in to a couple of the non-admin profiles, one of two things occurs: [bREAK] 1. I momentarily see the welcome screen, then I'm booted back out to the Roku home page. [bREAK] 2. I am allowed in and I see the home screen of the profile, and if I do not use the remote at all, everything seems normal, but if I start to look around, then within a second or two I'm booted out to the Roku home page. [bREAK] I've discovered through much troubleshooting that if I remove the Movies library from these profiles, I can log in, navigate, and play content just fine. [bREAK] Oddly, I have another non-admin profile which the devices can log in to, navigate, and play content fine, including the Movies library content. [bREAK] The admin account, with full access to all libraries, can be utilized from every Roku device as well. The Admin profile and the other fully working profile are the most often used profiles in this household, daily use. The other profiles are 'occasional' use. [bREAK] This all started before this latest Roku update, 7.7 4135, and continues today. Concurrently its been ongoing through 3 versions of BNN. So this version, v4.20, the one before, and the one previous to that... all suffered this issue. The Emby server has gone through updates during this time as well. It's current now, 3.2.30.0, and the situation continues. BTW, throughout this issue, I've had no problem using the official Emby app.

I've been having the same issue.  I've had to revert to the official Emby app over the past two weeks, but I much prefer your app.  I get into the app, I see my movies, but as soon as I click on one I'm booted out to the Roku home screen.  

chattojimnow

.... same. i rolled back to last package and it works v4.19. don't know what it is.... but could be something simple? I don't know all i know is nothing is clickable and all i can see is my collections and even that's not select able.

am i the only user with an issue?

Flamebird

Hi guys,

My Roku is up to date.

This is what's happening to me. Loaded BNN  after the suggestion in the thread about "green screen" to see what it would do. Loaded the app and signed in with the pin. . . and any key press kicks me out to the Roku home page.

Running on:

Roku Premiere+ 4630x

Software version 7.7.0

build 40135-29

Server 3.2.30.0

App version 4.2 build 0

Happy2Play

Interesting I am on the same fireware and the only issue I am having is the 4GB bug.  But I have a feeling all these issues apply to specific Media Info.  I don't have really any issues as I convert everything to h264/ac3 mp4.

Flamebird

Interesting I am on the same fireware and the only issue I am having is the 4GB bug.  But I have a feeling all these issues apply to specific Media Info.  I don't have really any issues as I convert everything to h264/ac3 mp4.

That's what I use for pretty much everything and the few things that weren't; I've been converting to match the rest as I upgrade to a new server.

What's bugging me with the green screen is that it's not consistent; so I can't point at one thing and say "that's whats causing it". Instead almost everything that messed up originally, now plays perfectly and when I try different things, it's pot-luck on whether it will play or not.

New Version: v4.21
* add preference to disable continuous play
* add logic to support disabled continuous play
* fix type mismatch crash bug

Finally had some time to spend digging through code with a fine tooth comb. As requested by @@Gilgamesh_48 there is now a way to disable continuous play entirely. In options, find the preference labeled "Continous Play" and set it to NO. Now it will not spawn a dialog box and will only play the selected item when pressing play on your remote.

I've also corrected the bug which was crashing the app. This was due to me allowing the homescreen to be both poster and thumb and allowing users to change this on the fly. I was mixing string and integer types in one function. OOOPPPSY! DOH! Now these types are always forced into integer and things run smoothly.

Any other bugs? Unexpected Behaviors? Random crashing? Please post here about them.

Updated all links in first post. Have fun, enjoy, relax. :)

@@techworld @@chattojimnow @@mikeraburn @@Happy2Play @@Flamebird @@Gilgamesh_48 Any issues found?

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

New Version: v4.21

* add preference to disable continuous play

* add logic to support disabled continuous play

* fix type mismatch crash bug

Finally had some time to spend digging through code with a fine tooth comb. As requested by @@Gilgamesh_48 there is now a way to disable continuous play entirely. In options, find the preference labeled "Continous Play" and set it to NO. Now it will not spawn a dialog box and will only play the selected item when pressing play on your remote.

I've also corrected the bug which was crashing the app. This was due to me allowing the homescreen to be both poster and thumb and allowing users to change this on the fly. I was mixing string and integer types in one function. OOOPPPSY! DOH! Now these types are always forced into integer and things run smoothly.

Any other bugs? Unexpected Behaviors? Random crashing? Please post here about them.

Updated all links in first post. Have fun, enjoy, relax. :)

@@techworld @@chattojimnow @@mikeraburn @@Happy2Play @@Flamebird @@Gilgamesh_48 Any issues found?

Thank You!!!! It seems to work exactly as I was wanting. Of course it will take a few days usage to thoroughly kick the tires in order to see if one falls off.

I have to say that, so far, my every interaction with you Emby people is making me wish I had made the move from Plex last year or even the year before.

Once more, thank you very much!!!

• Like 1