Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mikeraburn

New Name Suggestion for New Creation of Blue Neon

Blue Neon 2 Electric Boogaloo

BN2EB

I have a Roku TV and any transcoded streams load to 99% and then just sit there. No picture is ever displayed despite the fact that my server claims it's sending it out. Any thoughts?

If you are using auto-detection as the play method, this could be some setting in preferences causing it. You should be able to choose "force transcode w/o stream copy" and force it to work. This will involve transcoding the video stream when you disable stream copy. This disallows the video streams ability to be copied. Usually if this is the issue, the refframes are likely to high, maybe the h264 max transcode level is too high. It does default to "51" and maybe should be "50" or "41". In any case, the problem is the video stream shouldn't be copied when the loading stalls at 99%. Forcing transcode w/o stream copy should solve it if changing the two preferences I mentioned didn't solve it when using auto-detection. Circle back on this and let me know if this solves the issue or not. 

New Name Suggestion for New Creation of Blue Neon

Blue Neon 2 Electric Boogaloo

BN2EB

I do like the "breakin" reference yo. Get out of my head.. lol... *rufus and chaka khan plays softly in the background*

What about Blue Neon 2 Electric Dreams? ... then the app can start to incorrectly pronounce your name, and self destruct/reproduce when it finally learns about love. Poor edgar.. That movie is a more accurate reflection of what is actually happening. The death and rebirth of a program.

Best 80's movie? Possibly? Probably?

In any event, glad you are still with me. I haven't lost your faith. Together in electric dreams. Haw.. <3

mediacowboy

I think blue Phoenix is fitting for a new name

roberto188

Speechless

For whatever reason when I set the bitrate low like 4-6 Mbps it loads above that it just sits at 99%. I think it simply doesn't have the buffer for a higher bitrate so it sits there.

mattyg8

I have a roku device setup at my place and one at my folks house which they connect to my emby server. It always logs them in as my user even thou I have setup a user for them and log out of mine and into theirs. I thought that it remembered the last user log in? Ive got it selected in the options

Waldonnis

I think blue Phoenix is fitting for a new name

I like this suggestion!  It has that "from the ashes" connotation that suits something like this.

As always, I'd be happy to lend a hand (time allowing, of course).

mattyg8

I have a roku device setup at my place and one at my folks house which they connect to my emby server. It always logs them in as my user even thou I have setup a user for them and log out of mine and into theirs. I thought that it remembered the last user log in? Ive got it selected in the options

Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks

Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks

Sure.. glad to.. :)

To be able to change users, you cannot use emby connect (pin method). Using emby connect will tie that user to that server to generate a token. This is for single users, best used on remote emby servers your friends/relatives may have and offer to you.

If you are using your own server, you should be using manual entry. You may need to clear the setting for remember user if it appears stuck. Change it to NO, and then use "sign out" in the app to go back to the choose user screen. Once signed out and on this screen do not sign back in. Instead, press the home button on the roku remote. Now start the app up again and it will ask you to choose a user. After choosing this user, now enable the setting to remember user. After you do this  press the home button on the roku remote and then restart the app. It should log back in as the correct user this time.

If this doesn't work for you please let me know.

mattyg8

Sure.. glad to.. :)

To be able to change users, you cannot use emby connect (pin method). Using emby connect will tie that user to that server to generate a token. This is for single users, best used on remote emby servers your friends/relatives may have and offer to you.

If you are using your own server, you should be using manual entry. You may need to clear the setting for remember user if it appears stuck. Change it to NO, and then use "sign out" in the app to go back to the choose user screen. Once signed out and on this screen do not sign back in. Instead, press the home button on the roku remote. Now start the app up again and it will ask you to choose a user. After choosing this user, now enable the setting to remember user. After you do this  press the home button on the roku remote and then restart the app. It should log back in as the correct user this time.

If this doesn't work for you please let me know.

I will test it out when I can get a chance

• 2 weeks later...
svbhvman

It would be awesome to be able to see what server is currently active from the main screen. I have three servers and it's a pain to navigate to the change server option just to find out I'm on the server I wanted.

Edited by svbhvman

It would be awesome to be able to see what server is currently active from the main screen. I have three servers and it's a pain to navigate to the change server option just to find out I'm on the server I wanted.

You mean, the options & quickview row with the change server option. If in poster mode, it won't show the server name until you navigate onto the tile. If in thumbnail view, it will show under the thumbnail which server you are on. Thats the limit of the old sdk1 roku screens.

To have it always present on every screen, isn't possible with sdk1. The templates don't give you enough text space to make anything useful.

What I can do is make it so it shows which server you are playing from on the OSD. So you play an item, press OK and immediately know which server you are on and which user is logged in (and the "also viewing" count of users tied to the session). I'll probably get rid of the "Measured: <bitrate>" part since its not really pertinent to anything and replace it with the server/user/also-watching stuff. 

Keep in mind, when I do issue an update, you will not be able to use the roku store to update. You will have to have your roku already in developer mode. Then use the web developer upload portal to push the zip file to the roku. The roku store does not allow sdk1 apps to update any longer.

I will release an sdk2 (sgnode) version of the app with all the bells and whistles...eventually (before year end...probably :P).

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...

https://github.com/speechles/BN-TWO

Okay, made a tiny small.. little placeholder for the project to go. Not ready to submit code yet, still working on alot of things at once. Will put code up eventually and share it publically on github. It will stay 100% open source even if I do all the work. Sharing is caring.. lol

bird-icon.png

So far I really like this bird.. I dont want to overuse the emby logo in the new app since, emby owns copyright to that. The new app will need some kind of friendly mascot to help brand itself. The bird above is here. These are free for non-commercial use. Not going to put a price tag on the app so should be fair use to make use of their characters.

They also have other rather cool looking mascots below too..

3u8eNM7.png

So probably a setting in the app, will let you switch mascots from the bird to these other guys. Also want the thumb/poster view option, also want colors user selectable and also want themes available. Eventually that github page will contain code... lol

Edited by speechles

gX71A5g.png

I know what a brony is sir.. lmao... and the mascot set actually has a pink pony and a grey mule..... there will be 40 guys to pick from in total.

Obviously, children will find the most appeal having a client they can pick colors, mascot, themes.. Without this I can't just make a clone of the official app. I don't want to make a clone of the official app.

• Like 1

roberto188

I am so happy that you are working on a NEW version of Blue Neon. The quality of my live TV watching on Roku is dependent on Blue Neon because of it's robust features like setting transcode resolution etc. The Standard Emby app just doesn't have enough flexibility. Jan 1 2019 was going to be a sad day when Blue Neon is no longer compatible. Glad to see that we may have a replacement by then. I will DEFINATELY donate and test if needed. Thanks a million!

• 3 weeks later...
mikeraburn

@@speechles

What do I have goofed up in my BN settings and or Emby Server that would cause this to transcode?

It doesn't transcode in the Emby Beta.

Video
Title1080P HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level120
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate1583 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
Audio
TitleEng AAC 5.1 Default
Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileHE-AAC
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate320 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
TitleEng Default
Languageeng
CodecSUBRIP
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Containermkv

Waldonnis

@@speechles

What do I have goofed up in my BN settings and or Emby Server that would cause this to transcode?

It doesn't transcode in the Emby Beta.

Video
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
AAC 5.1 Default

Offhand, those stood out, but may not be the cause.  Audio-wise, Rokus always had spotty "support" for 6-channel AAC.  Some models decoded it, some didn't, some passed it through to an AVR, some didn't...and even then, it depended on the firmware version, IIRC.  2-channel (stereo) AAC is what they officially support, so while 6-channel may work at times on some models, I wouldn't count on it remaining that way.  The video info looked fine at a glance, but I don't know what Roku model you're trying to play this on...some older models don't support HEVC Main10.  If a Roku 4 or later, though, the video's probably not the cause and unless you set the quality settings to some really low value, the bitrate is likely not the cause either.

Really, it's hard to tell what the reason is without logs or peeking at the info screen during playback (hit OK while playing; it should tell you what it's doing).

@@mikeraburn

possibly, the setting "AAC Downsample" is set to OFF and not AUTO ?

Like @@Waldonnis said, the roku cannot decode AAC 5.1 and preserve surround, it dumbs it down to 2 channel stereo which is the best it can do, is downmix the 5.1 audio into 2.0 on-the-fly on the device itself. The roku4, premier, premier+, and ultra can do this. Reports to the app it can support 6 channels then strips it down to 2. So hopefully its that setting doing it? With that setting set to OFF the 6 channel AAC will be transcoded into 6 channel AC3 and surround sound is thusly preserved. On rokus connected to stereo setups this should be left on auto.

otherwise.. you might have to reset the settings in the blue neon app back to default. Choose "sign out" and use the trash can icon for clear registry. After doing that press the home key on your roku remote and restart the app. Now everything is fresh slate. Every option you need to enable again you had enabled before.

Also @@mikeraburn

Check the new releases repository out:

https://github.com/speechles/BN-ONE/releases

specifically, this one: 

https://github.com/speechles/BN-ONE/files/2207375/emby.blue.neon.v.4.28.zip

The store version (v4.25), I cannot update anymore. Only the sideloadable version, so you need to use developer mode and install that v4.28 zip from the developer portal on the roku. I know you know the routine. The store version(v4.25) of the app will transcode when it doesn't need to, due to server changes. So using the store version is not recommended if you want full direct play support.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I don't remember having an issue on my Ultra with 6 channel before.

"Remember" being the key word.

While the transcoded version was playing I did hit OK but it didn't tell me why it was transcoding.

I do know what you were referring to, Waldonnis.

It just didn't say why.

I will wipe my USER settings and start from anew.

My Ultra just did the Roku upgrade.

I only posed the question as it did not indicate Transcoding in the Emby Beta.

I found that odd.

lorac

You should have transcode logs on your server which would show the details.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

@@mikeraburn which version of the BNN app? Did u try with latest 4.28?

mikeraburn

I think the latest.

I have sideloaded ONE since the big hoopla of you not being able to push to Roku.

mikeraburn

Don't put too much work into MY issue.

If this benefits YOU on the new version app development then have at it.

I see it's "warm" and sunny in your area.

Hit the lake, dude.

mikeraburn

Logs

The server side developers have made it so easy to access them even I can do that!

The providing them issue is operator error.......sadly.