Theme: blue neon night

speechles

Had some health related issues, and this delayed me doing things. Not 100% back yet, but enough to make the release promised earlier. The medical benefits of marijuana cannot be understated. When someone in pain gets it, the effects are dramatic. I should be back up to full speed soon. :)

New version: v3.28

* correct updating of buttons on all screens

Zip and store link updated in first post, simple version for store soon.

I like the idea of seeing the full description too. Maybe a * menu item and has "see full description" then in that popup you can read the full text. This is possible. The "also watching" and customize-rows is planned too. Dont abandon hope.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

If you already have an item in your library wouldn't you know what the episode or movie is about?

I may know but the rest of my users wouldn't, I always have to be concerned about the fact that all content/recorded and displayed isn't known by every user in my house. It's just a niggle and something they got use to having in EMC.

shaefurr

I am working on your images btw, just taking longer than expected since im remaking a lot (most) of them.

• Like 2

shaefurr

Tad more clear after remake :P Hope you don't mind I changed the style on some slightly, if you want ill make them the same as the originals.

Original                                                               Remake

56c1fbe3e40c6_hdmovies.jpg56ccf59078189_hdmovies.jpg

I'm about half done, ill try and finish up the rest tomorrow.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 3

mikeraburn

I may know but the rest of my users wouldn't, I always have to be concerned about the fact that all content/recorded and displayed isn't known by every user in my house. It's just a niggle and something they got use to having in EMC.

I have to remind myself that all of us are not in a two person household.

• Like 1

mikeraburn

Is anyone else having a "long" delay, or even time out  and need to relaunch the app, from the time you initially launch the app and connects to the server?

If not, it may be time for me to replace some of my East German Army Surplus Equipment...............

@@mikeraburn Do you mean the "welcome back" message with the loading spinner? It stays on screen much longer sometimes than it should. The loading spinner closes when the user and their views have loaded fully in the background, then it pops the homescreen to the front. If so yes, I see this occassionally when the server is scanning my library. Which version of the server is this? Dev, beta, or stable? The beta and dev servers have a database optimization that does speed up queries. I get timeouts at times when pulling nextup episode when going into the series view sometimes. This occurs when scanning the library and trying to fully navigate at the same time.

To correct the behavior on some screens to update the metadata, the app has to reget metadata. This adds more hits to the server. Combined with an unmigrated library this might be what you are experiencing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

@@mikeraburn Do you mean the "welcome back" message with the loading spinner? It stays on screen much longer sometimes than it should. The loading spinner closes when the user and their views have loaded fully in the background, then it pops the homescreen to the front. If so yes, I see this occassionally when the server is scanning my library. Which version of the server is this? Dev, beta, or stable? The beta and dev servers have a database optimization that does speed up queries. I get timeouts at times when pulling nextup episode when going into the series view sometimes. This occurs when scanning the library and trying to fully navigate at the same time.

To correct the behavior on some screens to update the metadata, the app has to reget metadata. This adds more hits to the server. Combined with an unmigrated library this might be what you are experiencing.

Ever had your vehicle acting up and take it to a mechanic and you can't get the vehicle to re produce the "issue"?

This is one of those experiences. 

Since my post and your question it ain't done it.

You do good work speechles!

Running v3.28 and I noticed that my previous Collections (made up of movies) is not showing everything.  This same collection used to work fine in earlier builds of Emby and Blue Neon Night (not sure which change caused the issue).

The collection I noticed it with has 30+ movies in it but 6 are marked as new/unwatched.  When I view the collection on the Roku app it thinks there are only 6 movies in the collection (though the main screen shows that it has 39 movies). I just noticed it yesterday as this is how I show my toddler the options that he can pick from (anything in the collection)

I have other collections that have fewer movies and if all of those are watched, opening the collection from the Roku app displays "Section Empty- This section doesn't contain any items."  I assume this is a bug and not some user setting I am missing that controls this behavior...

I did not see anything on this thread in the last page or so and I figured I would report it if no one else has.  Let me know if you need log files or anything else.

Edited by auujay

auujay

Running v3.28 and I noticed that my previous Collections (made up of movies) is not showing everything.  This same collection used to work fine in earlier builds of Emby and Blue Neon Night (not sure which change caused the issue).

The collection I noticed it with has 30+ movies in it but 6 are marked as new/unwatched.  When I view the collection on the Roku app it thinks there are only 6 movies in the collection (though the main screen shows that it has 39 movies). I just noticed it yesterday as this is how I show my toddler the options that he can pick from (anything in the collection)

I have other collections that have fewer movies and if all of those are watched, opening the collection from the Roku app displays "Section Empty- This section doesn't contain any items."  I assume this is a bug and not some user setting I am missing that controls this behavior...

I did not see anything on this thread in the last page or so and I figured I would report it if no one else has.  Let me know if you need log files or anything else.

Tl;dr - I found the setting I missed; this is not a bug (just maybe not super obvious...).

When browsing movies in the Library (via the Blue Neon Night app) you can hit options to filter. I had it set to filter by unwatched (since I do re-watch movies like a toddler).  When going back to the main screen and viewing the collections the "show only unwatched" filter is still applied. If I remove that filter when in the Movie Library view and return to the Collections I get the old behavior I expected (and complained about above).

Tl;dr - I found the setting I missed; this is not a bug (just maybe not super obvious...).

When browsing movies in the Library (via the Blue Neon Night app) you can hit options to filter. I had it set to filter by unwatched (since I do re-watch movies like a toddler). When going back to the main screen and viewing the collections the "show only unwatched" filter is still applied. If I remove that filter when in the Movie Library view and return to the Collections I get the old behavior I expected (and complained about above).

Yeah, this isn't 100% obvious as it should be. The collections are assumed boxset and use the same prefix as movies do. This makes movies and collections use the same filter/sort selection. What you do to either affects the other. The app should have some sort of documentation other than "try stuff" and "you should figure it out after using it awhile".

This means users have to do things the way the UI expects them to. This isnt the best way but it was the best at the time. Some of the options can only be done from certain screens. Some options may appear clumsy and poorly utilized. This is mostly from the limitations of using stock roku screens, functions, and interfaces. When moved to OS7 features with scene graph and xml rendering the limit becomes the developer imagination, and not so much the limit of how roku designed their screens to be utilized.

Awfully quiet here, simple still needs 3.28 when you get time. Hope all is well.

I was quagmired there for awhile but I did forget to make the "simple" version available. I apologize for that. We can start to progress forward now. I added favorites to the folder screen now too. This makes it so libraries without "enhanced" viewstyles can see their favorites more easily and use them to more easily find shows/movies they enjoy. I am await hearing back on the post below before I post any new version. Having clearer and smaller in bytesize images means I can add the "also watching" and the extra toggles for music since they require having images as well. So stay tuned to this channel... ;)

Tad more clear after remake[emoji14]Hope you don't mind I changed the style on some slightly, if you want ill make them the same as the originals.

I'm about half done, ill try and finish up the rest tomorrow.

Is this still something we can collaborate on? I would love to have these images in the app. Can also give you credit in the "logout" dialog the app gives for 3 seconds. If so shoot me a pm and we can exchange infos. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

New version: v3.29

* view full description dialog

* fix resume/played/unplayed on poster screen

* add favorites to folder/singlerow views

Updated both store links normal and simple, as well as the side-loadable zip.

Added a new "view full description" button which will spawn a dialog which will then show the full description. This option appears on tv-series * context-menu. It also appears on the detail screen, but only if there is room for it..or.. there is no resume point. This is because of limits on how many buttons can exist. It isnt added directly to the "more..." menu as that menu is at capacity with buttons as well and would need reworking to accomodate more buttons.

There is one minor bug/issue. The resume/played/unplayed on the poster screen doesnt update on the images at the moment. The indicator overlay isnt updating. The buttons update as you mark played, unplayed, and remove the resume point but the images arent. It seems the poster screen entirely lacks an recreateOnActivate mechanism. Mainly because this is tied to the basescreen which is using the gridscreen. The gridscreen cannot be used on a poster screen. So I see why that screen is so painful to work with. I Will work on trying to get a funtion tied to it that updates the images in the future.

Also, new images to the "blue neon" theme will be coming which should look much more cleaner and professional. This work is courtesy of @@shaefurr who doesnt even own a roku. His skills are appreciated in this area, and you will see his work shortly. This will also reduce the images filesize which will allow me to add more images. After that the "also watching" and extra music toggles requested can be addressed which require extra images, 4 images * 2 themes = 8 new will be required.

Until then please mention anything you find hard to understand, anything that causes the client to misbehave, or your thoughts in general to make the app better.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

shaefurr

Glad to help, finished them up this morning and sent them to you via PM.

New version: v3.30

* add images by @@shaefurr

883da4d2ec25892d36f233b79f4adb5d.jpg

Updated both store links, normal and simple and updated the zip.

@@shaefurr nice work on the images. Much cleaner and better filesizes. This matches the stock theme in size now. Wonderful!

I notice one problem with the images though. On the A-Z the background isnt entirely black. It is close but it doesnt match the background which is 100% black 000000. This makes the letters not look like they are "floating". This is the only issue I see.

47816a57af5862a03d819ad4cd5d6443.jpg

2fe65b73a59a10a633ac07c21c3ebf67.jpg

You can tell what I mean in the screenshots above.

Edited by speechles

shaefurr

I notice one problem with the images though. On the A-Z the background isnt entirely black. It is close but it doesnt match the background which is 100% black 000000. This makes the letters not look like they are "floating". This is the only issue I see.

You can tell what I mean in the screenshot above.

Oh ya I see it, I was rushing them this morning, no idea how I applied a dark grey though :P, ill fix them tonight.

On some monitors it is hard to tell black level. But on an hdtv you can immediately tell. I had same problem at first when making my images keeping the black level consistant.

Edited by speechles

shaefurr

I made them on my 4k led tv, I can completely tell they're grey, I just never checked them, its very obvious looking at them now :P

The letters are easy I can redo them in 5 minutes.

56e0c6251d6a7_screen.jpg

Awesome job on the images, thanks for the help @@shaefurr

@@speechles Son is house sitting for bro n law this week, took his Roku with him and ran into one of those cant find server problems yet again. Official client presents the server screen or has you reset up when it cant find the server, This version says fails to get server info and quits out. Had to download the official client for tonight to get him connected.

New version: v3.31

* Blacked out backgrounds of letter images (thx shaefurr)

Updated every link, and the zip. Enjoys ;)

@@BAS he should be able to delete the app, and then reinstall it from the link again and that should fix it. This should wipe its registry and force it to initialize. This will make it ask for a server. This problem has to do with using multiple servers, and the first server is damn near impossible to remove if you only have 1 server known. It tries to connect to it regardless and tries to attain a user. I can look thru that section in the future and see what is going on. In the meantime I've added a double logout after the "unable to connect" message appears. I've added code so the ConnectionManager and ViewController are both issued logouts after this message shows up. This should force the app to return to a screen you can select a new server with hopefully. It may still crash off trying to build it's baseurl if you press "back" too often on the remote before you are fully logged in on a server and have chosen a user.

• 2 weeks later...

New Version: 3.32

* Make Collections stop disappearing unexpectedly

* Fix the prefix for collections to stop this ever happening again

* Fix server login issue for multiple servers when one of them isnt online.

Updated both roku store links, normal and simple, as well as the side-loadable zipfile. Enjoys.

@@BAS Thanks for reminding me of that issue. If you use favorites, you will notice these extend "inside" the collections and help you remember which you have favorited or not within a collection. See if you can spot any problems that affect anything and let me know. To fix the server login issue it will delete the server it cant connect to, and forget it. After this you need to add the server again, and try it again. Right after the "unable to connect to server" message is shown is when it deletes that server, and redirects to the initial screen to show. This might be bad as people have to re-enter that info again possibly. Let me know how this works on your end. We can always change this if its a hassle.

Next addition will be a shuffle option appearing when you choose multiple items to play, like an entire tv season, or a video playlist. Then after that I will work on the "also watching". Stay tuned... :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

New Version: 3.32

* Make Collections stop disappearing unexpectedly

* Fix the prefix for collections to stop this ever happening again

* Fix server login issue for multiple servers when one of them isnt online.

Updated both roku store links, normal and simple, as well as the side-loadable zipfile. Enjoys.

@@BAS Thanks for reminding me of that issue. If you use favorites, you will notice these extend "inside" the collections and help you remember which you have favorited or not within a collection. See if you can spot any problems that affect anything and let me know. To fix the server login issue it will delete the server it cant connect to, and forget it. After this you need to add the server again, and try it again. Right after the "unable to connect to server" message is shown is when it deletes that server, and redirects to the initial screen to show. This might be bad as people have to re-enter that info again possibly. Let me know how this works on your end. We can always change this if its a hassle.

Next addition will be a shuffle option appearing when you choose multiple items to play, like an entire tv season, or a video playlist. Then after that I will work on the "also watching". Stay tuned... :)

Welp it looks like it was a server issue like I expected. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/8001-emby-for-roku-channel/?p=314225 I pulled down 3.3 build 2 of this channel and the collections row completely disappears still inside library, I currently have my server to not show a collections entry on home screen and I prefer not to group movies as well so just want the collections row to appear with watched content inside of them. So not real sure what needs to be done hopefully Luke responds in the other thread hate to see you revert changes unless absolutely necessary.

The collections row is showing in library with the official client.

As for the server the only issue that might cause here would be if my server is offline temporarily and a user tries to connect and can't it will delete the server from them.. this could be a hassle for those less technically inclined in my family that I had to help setup. I was really hoping that if it couldnt connect to the server it would just take them to the server select screen where they can either pick my server again in a few minutes or add a new server. Appreciate you looking into this either way its better then them getting completely locked out of the app.

Well my post was removed so I guess don't follow the link...

Edited by BAS

The collections row is showing in library with the official client.

Ok, Oddball stuff. It depends on:

query.AddReplace("ImageTypeLimit", "1")

If this is commented out, or otherwise not there when polling for includeitemtypes=BoxSet then this will return empty. Anyway, now it works.. yaay! In the userviews and inside the movie library appears collections if enabled.

New Version:v3.33

* Fix collections (again, sigh)

Updated links in both roku stores, and the zipfile. Any other issues keep em comin'. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 4

Ok, Oddball stuff. It depends on:

query.AddReplace("ImageTypeLimit", "1")

If this is commented out, or otherwise not there when polling for includeitemtypes=BoxSet then this will return empty. Anyway, now it works.. yaay! In the userviews and inside the movie library appears collections if enabled.

New Version:v3.33

* Fix collections (again, sigh)

Updated links in both roku stores, and the zipfile. Any other issues keep em comin'. :)

Thanks for the fix.