Theme: blue neon night

speechles

@@mediacowboy

Yeah, it makes sense. You will only see these on items lacking the "additional parts" keyword. The value for this is usually "" or null if empty. But.. I forgot Live TV is one of those types where "additional parts" isnt even a keyword. If both keyword and value doesnt exist it creates that dialog.

That entire dialog is superfluous and not necessary. When it shows it shouldve been to debug not dialog. Sorry for that and thanks for spotting it. In the next version that dialog is removed. Any other issues, problems, questions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

mediacowboy

Not at the moment. Trying to figure out how to get live TV to direct stream. I have set the FPS to 61 and shut off the transcode to AAC and forcing MP4 and it still transcodes the stream. Neither your app nor just looking at the server really tells me why. Next step is looking into the logs. I have a feeling this is probably a limitation of the Roku. 

You can "force directstream" in the "more..." options before playing. This will over-ride any settings in the app. The app will lie to the server and tell it to just directstream regardless of anything. The server cannot transcode even if it wanted to.

You may see a dialog showing the videoplayer abruptly closed. You may also see that live-tv does play forcing directstream. If so, then playing with settings will help keep "auto" from transcoding. Raising the limit to 61fps definitely helps, so does maxing out the video bitrate. Most of the other settings only affect how the app handles transcoding, not anything that stops it.

Edited by speechles

mediacowboy

You can "force directstream" in the "more..." options before playing. This will over-ride any settings in the app. The app will lie to the server and tell it to just directstream regardless of anything.

I will give this a shot. Thanks.

Update:

Direct stream doesn't. Which leads me to believe it is the stream for my provider. The logs show it is a mpegts.

Edited by mediacowboy

Yeah, using "force directsream" passes direct access to the file to the roku. So right away if you are sure something should play directly but isnt auto-detected as such. You can see if there is a weakness in the auto-detect. The roku only supports mpeg4, not other mpeg versions. So would have to transcode to h264. You can turn on "force surround" in the options/preferences which will allow the ac3/dd to be retained in live tv streams when transcoding.

Edited by speechles

jhs39

I'm having a strange issue with this theme.  I have two movies with the same title.  In the server on my PC they are identified correctly with the right plot, year, cast, poster, etc--but on my Roku they both show up as being the same movie. 

So far I like the theme otherwise.  I particularly like that the user has more control over what direct plays and what transcodes.  Sometimes the official app won't play a video correctly and I have to switch to Plex, which gives me the option of choosing direct play or transcoding on the fly. 

I'm having a strange issue with this theme. I have two movies with the same title. In the server on my PC they are identified correctly with the right plot, year, cast, poster, etc--but on my Roku they both show up as being the same movie.

That is weird. The app is using the same API methods to populate the rows as the webclient is using. You should be able to tell them apart from the items detail screen.

33ed32949f6ec86fd33cf8a226a6f472.jpg

The 29.970/480P/H264/AC3 (mkv) part. This should help to identify which is really which, hopefully. *crosses fingers*

Edited by speechles

I know you are probably busy but when I try to play live TV, I'm using a HD Homerun prime with emby TV, I get an error saying:

" Response Error!

Failed to get additional parts"

So then I click okay and it loads the channel and plays.

New version: v3.37

* correct "additionalParts" to show as debug, not as dialog

(thanks to mediacowboy)

* fix odd white line in one of the music toggle images

* simplify "also watching" code

Updated both roku store links, and the sideloadable zipfile. Enjoys. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

So far I like the theme otherwise. I particularly like that the user has more control over what direct plays and what transcodes. Sometimes the official app won't play a video correctly and I have to switch to Plex, which gives me the option of choosing direct play or transcoding on the fly.

Thanks. The app can only be as good at auto-detection as humanly possible. Being humans this auto-detection can never be 100%, the best you can do is get as close to 100% as possible. Giving users the ability to force direct or force transcode gives everyone who uses it the ability to play every video they may have.

I can say without doubt when using this app that 100% of your videos will play. You may have to force a play method, you may not, but rest assured 100% of your videos are watchable on this app. You cant say that about every other app, since they only allow auto-detect. You can an app that auto-detects and has user control of forcing direct/transcode. In the future maybe developers will want this 100% playable feature too and add forceable play methods to their apps. The future is ?????.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

55a4b096fe806de23c19cad9a91b5aa0.jpg

Made the app dynamically aware of who is also watching. This makes the "also watching" keep sync with any changes. This also means if you press the "home" button or "back out" of the app it will "remember" things. If you havent logged out or removed your also watching users they are still there. When you log back into the roku you will be greeted with a screen showing the also watching users still attached (see image above). This makes the also watching always accurate. It will no longer "forget" who is also watching.

The app will remove all users "also watching" when you change server, or sign out/change user. This is by design.

New version: v3.38

* finalize "also watching" behaviors

* clean up code

Updated all links. Have fun. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

I've noticed that the latest emby server updates made "search" and "upcoming" behave differently. Updated the app so search properly returns 50 items per category/row again. Upcoming will limit to the next 200 episodes. If upcoming is set to a larger limit, say 400, it causes noticeable lag/wait that users will feel which ruins the experience.

New version: v3.39

* Fix search to return 50 items per category/row

* Fix upcoming to return 200 items max

* Minor dialog fixes

Updated both roku store links, and the sideloadable zip.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

New version: v3.40

* add "also watching" to "go to..." menus

* fix "also watching" popscreen stack

Another day, another update. Corrected the popscreen stack when using "Also Watching". You wont get stuck on the "retrieving..." screen requiring a second press of back on your remote now.

This one also simplifies and enhances the "Also Watching" feature. Trying to make it as easy and friendly to use as possible. This way more people can explore this feature.

The "Go To Also Watching" is in all "Go To..." menus. This makes it better to add/remove users immediately. It is now quick and simple to use.

Updated all links. Enjoy.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

Thank you @@speechles for the "go to..." feature for also watching. It really makes it easier to add my wife when she comes in to watch a shoe together. Then remove her when she leaves.

• Like 1

New version: v3.41

* add more sort-by and filter methods

29baf1e1eea26ba4aa2996486da0ded5.jpg

Want to watch a random movie or show? So easy now. This makes the app more in line with what the web client can do.

Updated all links. ;)

@@mediacowboy glad you like it. I tried to make it as easily accessible as possible.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

jhs39

Suggestion:

Sometimes I have a video that doesn't play correctly so I change the settings to force transcode.  However, I don't think changing the playback settings for an individual video should change the default settings across the app.  I have to remember to change it back after the video or it stays on force transcode.  I think if you change settings in an individual video the app should revert back to the default settings the user selected after the video is done playing or when you go into another video.  

jhs39

The problem seems to have gone away.  The movies are now showing up correctly as different films with the same title.  Thanks.

Joe

That is weird. The app is using the same API methods to populate the rows as the webclient is using. You should be able to tell them apart from the items detail screen.
33ed32949f6ec86fd33cf8a226a6f472.jpg
The 29.970/480P/H264/AC3 (mkv) part. This should help to identify which is really which, hopefully. *crosses fingers*

Suggestion:

Sometimes I have a video that doesn't play correctly so I change the settings to force transcode.  However, I don't think changing the playback settings for an individual video should change the default settings across the app.  I have to remember to change it back after the video or it stays on force transcode.  I think if you change settings in an individual video the app should revert back to the default settings the user selected after the video is done playing or when you go into another video.  

If the "play method" resets every video, how do we handle "play queues"? What I mean is, if you press play, rather than ok, directly within a row it will create an instant "play queue" on the roku. So say you want to watch all new episodes you have. Navigate to the TV row of the homescreen. Move the toggle until it is on "latest". Move to the first video item in the row and press play rather than ok. This will add all videos from that point in the row until the end of the row to the "play queue" and start playing. If instead you had pressed ok it would navigate you to the detail screen and you could press the play button to add that single video to the "play queue".

The dilemma I had originally was how to deal with these "play queues" and respect a users "play method" chosen. With this in mind you cannot just reset it every video, otherwise this would not follow your "play method". This is why you have to manually adjust things. I couldn't find a clean way to make this automatic and not have it disrespect the users choice.

What I can do though, is when the final video ends and  the "play queue" is exhausted at that point reset the "play method" back to auto if it is using "force". Then make a new preference in options. Call it "reset play method" and if enabled after a queue is exhausted it resets back to "auto". This still respects the users choice and their choice to reset as a preference. This is likely the easiest way to do this without disrupting the feature for other users.

Let me know how you intended this to work. It needs to be clear. Hopefully the way I mention above works. If it does let me know and I can get it included. ;)

Edited by speechles

jhs39

I've never used a play queue so I wasn't aware of the conflict.  What you are suggesting sounds like it would work well.  I doubt that a lot of people want to use 'force transcode' as their permanent playback method, but I could be wrong.  I guess I didn't expect it to work on your app the way it did because I've used a similar feature in Plex, which I believe is always auto unless you change it to get an individual video to play.  But you have a lot more choices for users in terms of how to set up playback, so it makes sense that it would work differently.  I like the idea of having the choice to go back to auto detect from force transcode after a video or queue is played. :)  

New Version: v3.42

* add "reset play method" to preferences

* fix video player to respect the "reset play method"

* correct video player from issuing multiple "has stopped"

@@jhs39 Done. This is enabled by default. Enjoy.

Since I was already modify the video player I also corrected the multiple "has stopped" showing in the "now playing" manager. So when you look at the "Recent Activity" section of the server dashboard it should look good. It will show multiple "has started" if you use fast-fwd or rewind. I can fix it so fast-fwd and rewind don't cause multiples to show if desired. I left it just to show someone has changed the pointer of the video stream. If multiple starts shouldn't show when changing the pointer let me know. It can be fixed. :)

Updated all links.

Also, as always with code changes there could be an issue. Since these changes involved the video player this is where issues may surface. In my testing so far all appears fine.

Edited by speechles

New version: v3.44

* add administrator disable to keep alive functionality

New version: v3.43

* add keep alive function

* add interaction timeout to preferences

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32969-ability-to-kick-users-or-limit-time-on-same-tv-channel/

See the above thread for how this new feature evolved.

Updated all links. Enjoy.

• Like 1

New Version: v3.45

* Correct interaction timeout to be based on last key press

* Add missing images to "stock" theme for also watching

T8oRfic.jpg

hugUwuV.png

This adds the interaction timeout based upon time of last keypress. This now is very accurate and reliable. Only administrators can disable the interaction timeout preferences in the options.

Updated all links. Enjoy :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@speechles, any luck figuring out the going to first unwatched episode or resume point for TV series?

Not yet. I should be able to figure out what is wrong there when I take another look under the hood. Now that I am much more comfortable and familiar with the code base this should be possible. I should have time this weekend to investigate it.