Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mediacowboy

Not yet. I should be able to figure out what is wrong there when I take another look under the hood. Now that I am much more comfortable and familiar with the code base this should be possible. I should have time this weekend to investigate it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the fast reply. Between the official Roku app and yours. Yours is the most use in my household. The wife and kids love everything you have done. Which makes this guy happy.

Thanks for the fast reply. Between the official Roku app and yours. Yours is the most use in my household. The wife and kids love everything you have done. Which makes this guy happy.

Thanks for the kind words. You guys (and your wives) with feature requests have made it what it is. This started as me hacking the client for my personal use and has blossomed into much more.

Has anyone had the "interaction timeout" dialog popup on them yet? I use it as my new sleep timer and keep it set to 4 hours. The cooler part would be have the roku send an hdmi-cec control code to turn off the TV at the point the "are you still here? are you awake?" timer reaches zero.

The brightsigns which roku makes has this functionality. It uses "rocecinterface" and cec codes sent as byte arrays to that interface. I wish this worked on roku so I could do this.

Also, havent found why the episode jump isnt occuring moving the context pointer to your next up episode. It looks like the episode context pointer is passed from the server and created. It is when passing parameters into other functions it is being lost. I am still chasing this one down.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I guess I don't really grasp the differences between

Direct Play

Direct Stream - when I call up info during playback it states I am Direct Play even though I chose Direct Stream in the MORE settings.

I always go there first and select Direct Stream.

It seems that Auto Detect always transcodes and playback fails for Direct Play, so I avoid that.

I have a mix of x264 and x265 and lean heavy on x265 side.

Roku4

Direct play isnt really possible on the roku. In the "truest" meaning of direct play you need network path access to the files directly. Anyone who says you can direct play on the roku is telling lies (*cough* PleX *cough*). The roku can only directly access files on the internal sd-card or through usb. It is still an option in the "force" settings just in case roku suddenly allows network paths to work. When they do this option will work in its present form. Its all ready to take advantage of that the moment it is possible in the future. The reason network paths arent allowed I am quite sure is completely related to "rooting" the roku and downloading/decompressing the pkg of premium applications with the intent to copy, modify, and re-release them for one's own profit.

"True" direct stream is accessing the files over http unmodified in the original container. This is the best roku can do at the present. This produces no transcode log. PleX incorrectly calls this direct play. What they mean is it is a "direct" version of the file they "play". Technically this is what causes the confusion for users.

Then there is direct stream, which can happen during a transcode, the streams are copied and remuxed into a new container and then this is streamed on-the-fly to the roku. This produces a transcode log. This is similar to "true" direct stream, but obviously different.

Then full on transcoding which we already know what that is, it always procudes a transcode log.

The player OSD for emby was "borrowed" from PleX so inherits this display. One of the problems with this is PleX is calling it "direct play" on the OSD we borrowed, when it is actually a "direct stream". Nobody has ever changed this or questioned it much. You are much more observant than the casual user. This is a good thing. In the end, it isnt really important to know more than it is playing "direct". The "play" and "stream" terms arent as important.

If you want to show media info for the files which will work when you "force directstream" and always transcode when using "auto-detection" you can help smarten the auto detection for others. Knowing why you have to manually force them helps determine new factors for the auto detection to take into account. This in turn helps reduce the need to resort to using the "force directstream" option as frequently which is a good thing.

Hopefully that explains it all, as clarissa used to say. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

A few samples.

TRANSCODED ON AUTO DETECT

Media Info
Video
CodecHEVC
Codec taghev1
ProfileMain
Level120
Resolution1912x1076
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate2054 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileHE-AAC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate125 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermp4

Video

CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level93
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate537 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Containermkv

-----

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level52
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate1613 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames16
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileHE-AAC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
CodecSRT
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv

---

Media Info
Video
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level93
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate791 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Containermkv

----

Media Info
Video
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain
Level93
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate529 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv

-------

DIRECT PLAY WHEN ON AUTO

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
ProfileMain
Level40
Resolution720x406
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate878 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
Audio
Languageund
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate156 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermp4

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate2743 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
Audio
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv

The first one has high efficiency (he) AAC. The roku only supports low complexity (lc) AAC to direct play.

The second one "should direct play". I made changes to HEVC detection to fix this. I will release an update that includes this soon.

The third one is h264 at level 52. Unfortunately the maximum level support the roku has is level 51. It is also using high efficiency (he) AAC. Two things that cause transcoding.

Four and five should also "direct play". I corrected detection for this. Same result as the second one. Fix for this coming soon.

Thanks for your help. I do see an issue that would create a scenario where HEVC would cause transcoding. I have corrected this issue. The next new version will include this fix. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

Glad this helps the app development.

It is in no way a big deal for me to always select FORCE DIRECT STREAM.

It is more of a habit than anything now.

I even do it for the old fashioned x264s because I have no idea what level I may be trying to play. 

If you always "force directstream" I changed the play method behavior. By default, it will reset after every video queue/playlist back to "auto". Even a single video is still a video queue, albeit of one item.

You want to go to options and find the preference "Reset Play Method" and mark this no. Afterwards it will leave your option alone. You wont have to manually switch from "auto" every time afterwards. It will stay on your play method until you change it.

Anything that helps auto-detection makes the app look smarter which is the intent. The app can never be as smart as a human so the "force" option will never disappear. No need to worry it will. ;)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

"You want to go to options and find the preference "Reset Play Method" and mark this no. Afterwards it will leave your option alone. You wont have to manually switch from "auto" every time afterwards. It will stay on your play method until you change it."

This isn't sticking for me.

Marked NO, leave app, come back in and it's back to auto.

Is it suppose do that and NOT change during your current session?

I may not be understanding the intention of function you are speaking of.

Wait, it says video player, not app.

Reading is fundamental.....

Edited by mikeraburn

d9f9f99028a5a399ea38f735a91890b0.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. Was out all day with family.

If you leave this as yes, after you play something the play method will change back to "auto". If you change this to no, the entire time you are in the app it will not reset the play method back to "auto". This will reset back to "auto" if you leave the app. It resets when you re-enter the app no matter what the reset play method is. This is by design at the moment. I should have explained this to you better.

• 2 weeks later...

New Version: v3.46

* fix interaction timeout to always cause a popup, not just once
* fix "audio stopped" only if audio is playing when video player starts, not always
* add favorites row to "channels" such as tunein, vudu, etc..
* remove HEVC level restriction
* add unique client name (BlueNeon) if preferred display name isnt set.

The interaction timeout wasn't working twice. It would spawn once, you tell it you are still there by clicking ok on your remote and forever after it wouldn't spawn the interaction timeout again. This is fixed now it will respect the timeout and repeatedly spawn into infinity and beyond.

The video player was issuing "audio stopped" requests if your audio queue had any items in it. This is obviously incorrect it should only issue "audio stopped" if the audio is playing. This is fixed now too. This helps clean up the "recent activity" window of the server.

The favorites row will now work with "channels" as well. So as you navigate into channels and their folders you will see this. The top row is the items in that folder, and directly below are the items in that folder which are your favorites. This helps make the favorite row consistent with every screen.

The HEVC restriction on roku4 isn't known well enough to justify limitations of this. So for the time being you may find some HEVC videos you have to "force transcode". It is these videos I need the mediainfo of so I can rework level/profile detection when HEVC is present.

The unique client name shows which users are using the blueneon client versus the official. If the users chooses a preferred display name, of course this information is only displayed. But if the user leaves the preferred display name empy it will show (BlueNeon) at the end of the clientname. You can see this on the server in the "active devices" section. This is just informational and doesn't affect any other functions.

I am still investigate the reason why the context pointer doesn't move correctly to the next-up episode when it works for season. This one is a deeper issue than first thought. Stay tuned for this fix, hopefully...

Updated all links. Enjoys. :)

• Like 3

New Version: v3.47

* add "Go To Music List" to access music list screen of songs playing

* add ability to search by song/audio

* add functionality to spawn music list screen with searched songs

* add playlist counter for album/song in busy dialog

The "Go To Music List" will take you to the list of songs on the music screen. This makes it so you can leave the music screen and come back to it easily. This has one slight "bug" at the moment. If you enter the music screen when a song is already playing the "play cursor" (little green triangle) will not clear from the song as the next one begins. This is a known issue I am working on.

8db144f38759ea2d470ef29c09c8a12d.jpg

9b067866bce5f5e422c26eaf3815e8df.jpg

You can also search by song now. Want to see all the songs you have for "summer"? You can and when clicking into the song results this will create a music list similar to how "recently played", " frequently played", and "favorite songs" works. When you click into one of them, it loads them all into a music list where you can play them.

There is also a "creating playlist..." album/song counter that is displayed when choosing music from genre, studio, artists. You will notice this when it appears. This counter will give a visual clue as to how long the playlist will take to create. This makes it easier to see the roku is working and not crashed. The instant mix doesnt do this as it stops at 100 songs.

Please test these features, and music in general and try to find issues.

Ive updated all files including the sideloadable zip. As always shout out loud if something is wrong or you find a bug or the app crashes or similarly something happens that shouldn't. If so please post about it here.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

New version: v3.48

* add artists tracks

* Functionality to support artists tracks

4a1d5a97e0ce64b98b2917a53c6470ed.jpg

0d3683b010ccdec48cf20bad8215d5c1.jpg

0a1473f622cd1402fd9fac86b73eb34c.jpg

This update adds artists tracks. This makes it much closer to what the web client allows. There are 3 ways to populate the tracks:

Normal - Uses the standard emby method

Slow - Uses the standard emby method then it reduces by artist.

Slowest - Pulls all album tracks for the artist then reduces to just that artist

The reason there are 3 of these is choice. Each of the 3 ways is different. This allows you to make a track list of just that artist to play. Any questions, comments, criticism feel free to let it happen here.

Updated all links, sideloadable zip and roku store links. Enjoys.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

New version: v3.49

* Correct album/song aspect ratio in search and music screen

b7c0b3b7bc64436b0d97d269421cc52b.jpg

More music love. This time to fix those stretched out album covers on the music screen. So now they are the correct ratio and it doesnt look so out of place.

Updated all links in first post. Enjoy

• Like 2

New version: v3.50

* Fix jump to newest episode aka next up functionality in TV library and "go to series"

The season jump was occuring. The next up episode in that season was not. @@hoxtonia and @@mediacowboy this is for you two, try it out now it works..yay!!. :)

This is the one that has been mentioned before. Was even the focus of a feature request thread. This was a bug. The focusedlistitem was never passed correctly to the posterscreen. It also wasnt using the right roku sdk call to make it happen. So this was sort of dog chasing its tail at first until I had made all the fixes and got the focusedlistitem to pass correctly through the proper functions.

Enjoy... and sorry this took so long to correct. Updated the sideloadable zip file and both roku store links. Any problems please shout em out.

-----Edit

There was a horrible bug introduced in the last update I have since corrected. No users should have experienced it unless they were newly setting up the app. This bug is now corrected, setting up the app works flawlessly again.

I also see why this jump feature was not added previously. This depends on the episodes all being there, and being seperate episodes. The way it is doing the jumping depends on using the index against an array key. The array key is mached against the index. Each array key is assumed one single episode. It is also assumed array keys start at 0. If you start a seaon and only have episodes 9 thru 15 in it this cant jump correctly presently. It wil always jump higher. Epsodes 9 - 15 = array positions 0 - 5. Emby will give an index of 11, after you finish episode 9 and 10. This would be array position 10. The app will try to jump to 10 and cant. The max count of the array is 5. So it jumps you up to episode 15 in array position 5 when it shouldve jumped to episode 12 in array position 2. Hopefully everyone understands this limitation presently.

Maybe @@Luke can fix this limitation of nextup? Make it based instead of on the episode number make it based on the array index position of the season and episode within the response? This would make me not have to do anything more and it will work perfectly. This would also allow a single array index to hold multiple episodes, episodes to be missing, etc and jump would still work correctly. Do any other apps make use of nextup and parentindexnumber/indexnumber? It says index but it is based on episode # by its behavior.

The main problem is there is no metadata yet. So the array cant be correlated back to episode number which would allow knowing which index has that episode number in it. All that is known is array, key, parentindexnumber, and indexnumber at this point. The array hasnt yet had metadata or images loaded into it until after this episodic context pointer is positioned. Hence this becomes chicken and egg aka catch-22. It needs luke to fix the limitation. Afterwards GLaDOS promises there will be cake. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

I just went to a series I am currently watching and it took me to the first unwatched episode. I can't say it enough thank you.

mikeraburn

I had to go back and read this edit again.

I delete episodes as I watch them but ALWAYS keep at least ONE episode marked as watched so I can just use the "suggested" at the main screen or "NEXT UP" within  television screen.

I have ONE episode watched with two not watched and within the series screen it is defaulting to the last episode. (The Good Wife. Saving the last two of the series for when MY Good Wife returns home) No Spoilers, please.

SO I broke out my slide ruler and abacus and confirmed the array issue so I could understand it,,,,, :wacko:

"I also see why this jump feature was not added previously. This depends on the episodes all being there, and being seperate episodes. The way it is doing the jumping depends on using the index against an array key. The array key is mached against the index. Each array key is assumed one single episode. It is also assumed array keys start at 0. If you start a seaon and only have episodes 9 thru 15 in it this cant jump correctly presently. It wil always jump higher. Epsodes 9 - 15 = array positions 0 - 5. Emby will give an index of 11, after you finish episode 9 and 10. This would be array position 10. The app will try to jump to 10 and cant. The max count of the array is 5. So it jumps you up to episode 15 in array position 5 when it shouldve jumped to episode 12 in array position 2. Hopefully everyone understands this limitation presently."

I had to go back and read this edit again.

I delete episodes as I watch them but ALWAYS keep at least ONE episode marked as watched so I can just use the "suggested" at the main screen or "NEXT UP" within  television screen.

I have ONE episode watched with two not watched and within the series screen it is defaulting to the last episode. (The Good Wife. Saving the last two of the series for when MY Good Wife returns home) No Spoilers, please.

SO I broke out my slide ruler and abacus and confirmed the array issue so I could understand it,,,,, :wacko:

1. Pushing screen 36 onto view controller stack - Series ee2a51ab3138b200bd9143e9a910f3be 2. FocusedIndex: 1 3. FocusedIndexItem: 6 4.      (list of 0)... 5. Showing screen with 0 elements 6. Showing screen with 0 elements 7. Count loaded is now 6 out of 6 8. Count loaded is now 6 out of 6 9. Showing screen with 6 elements10.Content type in poster screen: Episode11.Entered CreateScreenForItem

Here is the rundown of how it is actually doing things. I numbered this to make it easier to reference:

Line 1 invokes the tv series screen

Line 2 and 3 pull in the season and episode to jump to

Line 4 is my attempt to dump the array. Notice it is empty. 0 count.

Line 5 is the screen moving the season jump point

Line 6 is the screen moving the episode jump point

Line 7 is the paginated data loader obtaining the array of seasons metadata

Line 8 is the paginated data loader obtaining the images for the season in the array

Line 9 is the screen fully shown and no longer loading

Line 10 is clicking into an episode from the tv series screen

Line 11 is entering into the episode detail screen

So you can see the need to have 7 and 8 happen before 5 and 6. Then it is possible to reference the episode number inside the array and jump to the correct index even if episodes are missing, or if multiple episodes are in one file, or if there are multiple copies of the same episode. This doesn't work because the data isn't loaded when it is required to make the jump. So I am stuck atm in trying to fix this. This is how it becomes chicken and egg sorta catch-22.

Hopefully this explains a little better.. and tomorrow I will have a new release with extra a couple new features added.

Stay tuned to this thead. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Array keys and array positions aside, Emby Server and Blue Neon Night just plain work consistently without fail.

They only time I have had a failure it was self inflicted.

Thank you for this 

New version: v3.51

* add "go to studio/network" to "go to" menus

* add "similar to" to movies and shows

* add functionality to support "similar to"

218b660e42808e467f2e451660bea6e3.jpg

Look at the pretty "go to" menu with so many options. ;)

942b44e9008160704a81282d548548a3.jpg

894e0ae3685c44d90d9468227c09ae81.jpg

Now you can find titles similar to your movies and shows too.

Updated the sideloadable zipfile, and both roku store links found in the first post. Enjoy

@@mikeraburn thanks for the kind words. This is how its supposed to work. The roku is one of the more stable client apps. :)

• Like 2

dredd1963

Hi All.

i appear to have  a couple of issues with Blue neon night.

1) When i use the search function to look for a film/ tv series, all that it returns is peoples names rather than the tv/ film am looking for.

2) I have set up for Collections, but when i click on the cover (used for the collection)  and go into to it, i get the dvd frame with background picture      inside with black bars top and bottom.

I aslo use the android app and mtb without this issue.

thanks for the great app and help in advance.

@@dredd1963

0dc014841fb9ebd5fa5036754f42c70f.jpg

This is the main search screen. The items on the right are suggestions for search results as you type, known as "instant search". You dont have to click on those unless they are what you are searching for. Instead click on the word "search", like below.

5a8261076834e3c6f290214becb32d3c.jpg

Then the search screen will load and populate everything nicely.

8b75e5006bc7c3e08a4d37568e60534f.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by the collections though. See the collection above for "cat run collection"? This is using the parent image incorrectly "the popcorn image" rather than using the one from the collection. This is a bug that will be fixed. I just noticed it.

Can you take a picture of the tv to show your collection issue? Seeing that I will know what you mean. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

dredd1963

The above picture is a typical example of view of  A Collection (in this case Alien). My collections were set up using the server viewer, which shows  on  correctly  on my other clients.

mikeraburn

Does anyone else see a distortion in MORE OPTIONS under the use auto detection private choice?

I can click down to the obscure choice and it closes the options window, <--- winner winner chicken dinner??

So my guess is it's one them stinkin array issues.

Dang nabbit. 

Edited by mikeraburn