Theme: blue neon night

speechles

It has solved a lot of peoples issues with it because not everyone has a 5.1 setup to decode the DVD's and AAC files that shoot out of the roku. I have not had this problem on my RPi with Kodi, which makes this only a problem with the Roku environment. 

b4384d02151fec643f6eba174b46e9cc.jpg

Okay, simplified the delete option. It will default on. It respects the servers canDelete flag. This is your one over-ride. To change this, you must be an administrative user or you get the message shown above. This message sounds purposely scary to deter children from attempting to change it with their own accounts if they see the option. Ive also went through and added dialogs for favorites too, since these may not refresh on all screens. There is also a welcome message given when the app starts if you use the "remember last user" option. Also added dialogs for almost every error that could occur. Even the "ffmpeg doesnt stop" error will show on the roku. This lets you know that transcoding couldn't be stopped by the app and it isnt it's fault. The server is throwing an error when it tries. This should make it much more user friendly. You may tumble through multiple dialog errors when your server acts up now. This is better than the roku app just crashing off and having to check logs to see why.

Update your roku or get the new app in the first post. Any issues please let me know. I had to factory reset my roku (remote pairing issues) and this changed my developer ID on my roku. What this means is the settings will be reset when the app updates on your roku. I apologize for this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Worked a bit on allowing navigation while the rows are loading. On some rows there was logic that would allow it to load the entire row, rather than paginate it. This would slow down the loading of the TV screen before you could navigate. So changed the way the queries were done, and removed some code, and now its faster. The rows become near immediately navigable.

As always the new version will auto update, or update your roku now to get it immediately. Need feedback from others if this speeds it up for everybody and they notice it. Especially focus on the top row of the TV screen and how fast that fills in. Those with large collections will notice it just pops now, no lag.

Also removed the refresh it was doing after navigating to a detail screen and back. It was reattain all the data all over, and recreate the rows all over again, rather than just allow navigation and use the data already there from the prior screen. So fixed that too, and now speedy navigation and this makes the client much more pleasureable. The "screen.recreateOnActivate = false" is the answer. I know I notice its faster. Others should too. :)

Once these changes are confirmed to indeed help speed this up I will update the zip for nowtv sideloading. Also will pass along the code to luke for inclusion officially. So let me know this works, especially @@BAS :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

Updated but didn't keep my prefences.

Top screen loads hella fast if NOT instantly.

Version 3.13? Roku 4

Yeah, I rewashed my developer key again by mistake. This is why the version number is spiked to 3.13. I had to do this to get the store to allow my new devkey and update the application. Apologies for that happening again.

I will download this and mess in the morning, thanks for looking into it and for such quick turnaround. Thanks for thinking ahead on the detail screen and back issue as well.

Once these changes are confirmed to indeed help speed this up I will update the zip for nowtv sideloading. Also will pass along the code to luke for inclusion officially. So let me know this works, especially @@BAS :)

I tested real quick before bed, I went from a user that took 35 secs on official to 10 secs in your client. This user had favorite series marked and I noticed you have a favorite episodes as well which seems a little redudant to me and a possible slow down. Thanks for the fix. Now as far as what rows should appear where to prevent slow down I think putting network in on TV side makes huge sense and shouldnt slow down the library load to much, but addind studios to the movie side regardless if the user is using the studio cleaner plugin could be a huge slowdown on the movie library load in.

Edited by BAS

f09ce5f7c895f8896152ab9cec6a97e7.jpg

3fd1897f27636ae4d64c8d5656da04c3.jpg

Hey @@BAS your idea was a good one. Update your rokus, notice it isnt erasing your preferences every update now. This is nice now. I like it. :)

Note: I had to make the images in thumbnail/landscape. This is because for networks there is no poster. So it wasnt showing any images. With thumbnail in poster view you get an image but of course its the wrong aspect ratio so it gets shrunken. This is acceptable to me. Id rather have images than none.

@@Luke

No sense keeping this private so below are the pulls to replicate this officially.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/136

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mikeraburn

Since I'm still at "work" and haven't seen this on the gui yet, is the located at the bottom in TV like Favorites?

Yes indeed. It doesnt slow the screen loading at all either. Also you wont have to reenter all your server details, preferences, and everything all over again. I figured out why it was resetting everything now. So the only way to tell it updated, is by the version number now. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Was going to post here that I was not updating for some reason.

That was because

1.    I didn't scroll down far enough to see the new network section the first time.

2.    I didn't have re input my preferences!

When you do push an update could you mention the version number, if you remember to, or at least put it in the post on the first page of this forum?

Thanks for the work and updates!

• Like 1

@@mikeraburn sure, the present version is 3.16 and the first post is updated

Also new version released :)

Made the movie screen have a studios row in the same vein as tv screen has the networks row. Ive also added studio support to the search screen. Then enabled people and genre which were disabled. Then turned hints down to 9 from 15 since only 9 hints show on the search screen. So searching should now be very open ended as far as everything is there.

Let me know if you see anything lacking. I do notice if you browse the studios (the json payload for this row is a monster) you can cause lag to the poor roku3. It works fine, but you notice at times you press the button and it takes it a moment before it reacts. It starts to feel laggy. This is because we are pushing the limits, but not overly so. On a roku4 you should not notice this lag at all. If you dont use the studio row, it wont fully populate, so cant lag you.

Enjoys :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

DerekWilliamsUK

I have been using this mod on my NowTV v2 (Roku3) for a while and it all works great. Is there any chance that you can put a date/note on the first post when you have updated the NowTV sideload version so that it is simple to spot that newer manual updates are available?

Also, on the TV row, can the episode duration be shortened to just show minutes (ie. 43m instead of 43:10) and the episode ids be shortened (ie. 1x5 instead of S01E05) so that more of the episode title is visible (or make these a GUI option)?

Many thanks. 

Edited by DerekWilliamsUK

mikeraburn

Is anyone using this on a Roku2?

A co worker decided to join in with cutting the cabletv cord and he got a Roku2, despite my advice on at least getting a Roku3.

CBers

Is anyone using this on a Roku2?

A co worker decided to join in with cutting the cabletv cord and he got a Roku2, despite my advice on at least getting a Roku3.

It runs on the original Now TV (UK device), which is a Roku 2 based device.

I just updated the zip so nowtv users can have same experience.

The roku 2 (2015) is the same as a roku 3 hardware basically. It is the remote that differs. This is likely what they have.

If it was a original roku2 it is like CBers says. It should work, but it may be slow on v1 nowtv and early roku2xs or roku2hd. The first model of nowtv is basically a rokuhd with only 720p support. The 2nd version of nowTV is based on roku3 hardware. It is black. You can easily tell them apart.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Also, on the TV row, can the episode duration be shortened to just show minutes (ie. 43m instead of 43:10) and the episode ids be shortened (ie. 1x5 instead of S01E05) so that more of the episode title is visible (or make these a GUI option)

Sure, in fact the SxE way of tagging the episodes does look neater so lets do that without a setting. The other question of yours about the abbreviated runtimes, I've added a preference now. Set "abbreviated runtimes" to yes and look what it does. :)

Also, took some time to clean up the search screen and make it consistent looking. It now works pretty awesome when searching. Try searching for actors names, or movie genres, or studio names, or you get the idea. Its quick, and a good way to find things with the least amount of clicks.

I also figured since the movies screen on the web client has a trailers tab, so should the roku have a trailers row. Its the bottom row on the movie screen. If you use the trailers plugin this will make it faster to get to them.

Also cleaned up some of the smaller issues and tried to make it as fast as possible. Updated both the roku store, which will auto update everybody and the zip for sideloaders in the first post.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

0fcaaeb82bb560cf9f10c69b47f04ca7.jpg

Had some time to waste, so music now has the same "studios" row as the rest. It uses the same screen artists and music genre do (see pic above). Also improved on the search screen, making it more open ended. Split series and episodes into their own rows, and added an albums row. At the moment searching for studios, will not let you enter music studios from the search screen. This is a limit of how search works with studios.

Get the new version in this forst post of this thread, or update your rokus. The zip has also been updated. This makes it version 3.18 now.

Edited by speechles

@@Luke I now know why musicgenre/genre and people/artists are separate from each other. Can the same be done for studios? So that the two types video/audio can be separated? Studios and MusicStudios? Please? Pretty please? It makes it hard to get this working like I want to without this separation when using search. This would make studios consistent with people and genres. Please add this. :)

SearchTerm: searchTerm

IncludePeople: "false"

IncludeStudios: "true"

IncludeGenres: "false"

IncludeArtists: "false"

IncludeMedia: "true"

IncludeItemTypes: "Studio"

There isnt really a way to tell apart the studio has audio or video items within it. But...

IncludePeople: "true"

IncludeStudios: "false"

IncludeItemTypes: "People

IncludeArtists: "true"

IncludeItemTypes: "MusicArtist"

The People has a a drastic split from artist. Not just a new type but the whole works giving it a new field in the search query. This level of separation isnt required.The way genre is handled though seems more like how studios should be. It has a separate type to separate it in search. This would be perfect.

IncludeGenres: "true"

IncludeItemTypes: "Genre,MusicGenre"

Below is how it would work. Can this be done? Please.. with sugar and a cherry on top?

IncludeStudios: "true"

IncludeItemTypes: "Studio,MusicStudio"

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Is there a way to take a 4:3 aspect file and force into a 16:9 within the emby server software or this app?

speeches,I did see your aspect post in another thread.

Using your tv settings or that MKVToolnix.

I took a 4:3 mp4 video and converted it to 16:9 using the MKVToolnix and then it would only play with "force transcoding".

This was like 3 weeks ago.

I think mkvtoolnix just modifies the metadata of the streams, not the actual data within the stream. This lets you "help" some devices play things which otherwise would not. But with aspect ratio, this is one you cannot lie about. If you do the system may not like the fact the metadata doesnt match the data, or may act unpredictable and crash. You would have to fully transcode the video, stretching it into the new aspect ratio to do this.

Edited by speechles

DerekWilliamsUK

Sure, in fact the SxE way of tagging the episodes does look neater so lets do that without a setting. The other question of yours about the abbreviated runtimes, I've added a preference now. Set "abbreviated runtimes" to yes and look what it does. :)

Also, took some time to clean up the search screen...       ...and tried to make it as fast as possible.

Absolutely brilliant 'speechles'. Thanks so much for implementing my previous suggestions, and in such a quick time, it all looks very neat & tidy now.

I have been trying out v3.18 this morning (UK time) on my NowTV v2 (the black Roku3 variant) and it all seems to work perfectly.

It is also very responsive.  

Great job.  :)

I have just thought of another minor GUI mod suggestion/option. My Roku home screen has the following rows from top to bottom:

TV

Movies

Collections

Options

You can scroll up and down the list as expected, BUT can the list be allowed to WRAP, so that if you press UP when the top TV row is selected you jump to the OPTIONS row at the bottom and when you press DOWN with the OPTIONS row selected you jump to the TV row at the top - just an idea to simplify MENU navigation.

Edited by DerekWilliamsUK
  • Like 2