Theme: blue neon night

speechles

@@BAS also, is the servers send text sending messages to remote users with rokus?

I only had 1 external on last night and didn't get a chance and I'm still trying to get some time to get my other external family members on this client. I'll try to test it tonight for you.

MrWebsmith

so much progress on this client and dev work.. you guys are making me want to get a roku again to join in... and then maybe move my remote users (2 are rokus) to this "remote user build"

keep it up speechles and BAS well done gents.

• Like 1

My photoshop skills are lacking. I am a pixel artist, mspaint style. Not these layered vectorized images. If anyone wants to volunteer to make sweet looking images for this let me know.

Well what are the image requirements, and the only one you really need is recently played because the favorites/genres icons can be reused from movies/tv correct?

Sorry I don't know the endpoints and really haven't had the time to do much around here in any fashion for a long time but thanks for replying yet again and looking into my questions.

keep it up speechles and BAS well done gents.

I deserve no credit, besides maybe in the way of harassment. Almost all my users are on Roku's in the house now and all my external family users are on Rokus, I saw some movement in the Roku thread, so I thought I would come harass speechles in hopes that the client could get a lot better, just needs some love and attention which he has done. Hopefully some of these optimizations can make it the official client if Luke decides to. Interested to hear back from Luke on some of the things speechles has paged him on.

• Like 1

Well what are the image requirements, and the only one you really need is recently played because the favorites/genres icons can be reused from movies/tv correct?

WcK2mhZ.png

You can see the images above. These are in the .zip file inside the /images/themes/default/ folder. The music toggles are 7, 8, and 9. The font used is 29 point Trebuchet MS. The colors used are black #000000 and neon blue #33CCFF. You can see how I cant really reuse the images since the selected row is in the middle. Each image can be broken down into 3 strips. I can rip the strips off for genre and favorites and make those new music toggles. I would need to choose an icon from androids keyboard emoticons (which is where the icons come from) to use for "recent" which would be music recently played. This would be the only missing strip, the recently played. I was just being overly dramatic. My skills are okay, just aren't great. I can admit that ;)

As far as the endpoints for the recent and most played in music I can find these. I just meant I haven't done so yet. I was trying to explain the process of how all this is done. So that others understand it isn't "magic" or simple to do. It is work just to look over the code and familiarize myself enough with it to allow some of these feature requests. Let alone adding the code changes, testing them out, and etc. There is a method to my madness so I don't get discouraged and give up. I also want these features, so this is mostly so I can have these things too. Then the sharing with others comes after. ;)

I <3 my roku :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

I'm sure you will need logs of some sort but external users don't receive the server messages, the server reports the message was sent. Also remote control/mirroring function does not work for external users as well, but this has been broken a long time with official client. 

I would imagine the best scenario for you would be to have an external roku user connecting to your server to troubleshoot. Let me know what info you need.

• Like 1

I'm sure you will need logs of some sort but external users don't receive the server messages, the server reports the message was sent. Also remote control/mirroring function does not work for external users as well, but this has been broken a long time with official client.

I would imagine the best scenario for you would be to have an external roku user connecting to your server to troubleshoot. Let me know what info you need.

The emby client creates a web server on the roku using port 8324. This facilitates remote control of the roku and receiving server messages. You would have to open this port on their router and use port forwarding to forward it to the internal IP of their roku. This can only work for a single roku at that location after forwarding. You can do many rokus on a local network, its the limitation of port forwarding remotely that is reducing it down to one roku only. Once done this would allow the server to remotely access that roku by passing queries to its "index.html" page.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@BAS Those features you wanted earlier. Well, had time to check out how easily each of those would be.

The "go to" for series was pretty simple so thats in now.

The "cast & crew" one is now handled better. On the detail screen under "more..." will be an option called "cast & crew" and a second called "main cast & crew" and as you can probably guess these allow you to see the guest actors of that episode, or the main actors of that series depending on which you choose.

There is also a "clear resume point" option under the "more..." menu. This will clear the resume so shows appearing in next up are easier to remove from there now without resetting your played status.

When you play music, sometimes the music options are all that come up when using the * key. Once you have music loaded the other option dialog for tv-series wont pop up. So now inside the "more..." button on the now playing screen is an option called "clear music list". This will clear the music entirely and the now playing options no longer opens. You can still recreate another music list if you want to afterwards and repopulate the audio player if you choose. The "clear music list" helps when there are dialog issues and you dont want now playing interfering.

I've also added another row to the movie list. The new row is "library trailers". They can be both internet trailers or local trailers. This uses a trick to let you see your local trailers directly and their individual play counts outside of the movie they are for. Wait til you see how the library trailers function works and you will see its pretty cool. It also has a popup on * to go to the movie the trailer is about directly so after watching any trailer you can immediately go watch that exact movie. The old "trailers" row has been renamed "internet trailers". As implied, watching the " internet trailers" row locally will definitely require the internet. Some movies in your "library trailers" list may also be internet trailers. The type will be shown on the screen whether it is a local trailer, or an internet trailer. These are movies that are in your library that have trailers, even internet trailers. It is a trick, because there is no easy way to get a simple list of just your local trailers. The best you can do is to query using includeitemtypes=movie and set the hastrailer filter to true, which is what this is doing. It works well, and makes trailers more useful to me. Hopefully everybody loves trailers as much as me...

There are some other small changes to some text in spots, but you will see what else there is shortly. I still have not done the music changes you wanted. This is harder because of the images, and the fact there are two themes. So not only do we need 3 more images, we need 6. 3 new ones for each theme. The original font used in the stock theme I have no idea what it is. It also is using vectorized images. So that part might take more time than originally thought....

When I wake up in the morning I am going to run a bunch of screen tests. Then if no issues arise I will send up the new version. So stay tuned to this thread. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

New version: v3.24

340b6467429942c61c5e796862d14dba.jpg

* add clear music list option to more... in now playing
* add go to options to * menu to allow moving up one level (episodes/trailers)
* add go to options to more... to allow moving up one level (episodes/trailers)
* add library trailers to movie screen
* add functionality for library trailers row
* add clear resume point option to more...
* add main cast & crew option to more...

Both roku store, and zip links updated. The "simple" version has not been updated yet. Will update after users get their hands on the full version. If no problems, I will update the "simple" version next. Enjoys.

As always with an update, something may have broken I havent noticed. If you have any problems please point them out. If you have suggestions, complaints, or questions feel free to make them known. This is a community driven app after all, and as such this app will always remain free. The only part limited is the live-tv will limit to 5 channels unless you are subscribed to an premiere membership. If you are subscribed to emby premiere it becomes an 80 channel limit to live-tv. This functionality depends on financial support, so cannot be made free by me. Hope you all understand. :)

qeQiIJ8.jpg

@@BAS Above is stock music screen with your recent, favorites and genre. The issue is blending in the blue bar it uses for selecting. The font didnt matter because I cut and pasted the letters like you would a ransom note from a newspaper clipping out each letter and building the new word. This is just to show I did consider waiting to get this feature in too. It was just very hard to match the colors and make it look good so I stopped that part for now.. Haw..

Anyone good with Photoshop and such willing to help a brother out? Apply within this thead and I promise the tasks will be very easy for you to do. Thanks

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

@@speechles, I haven't played to much with what you have done but I am using it more then the original. The Wife and I both love what you have done. My question for you now is, is there a way to mark who else is with you when you watch a movie or TV show? I ask because I just created my wife her own account and there are times we watch a show together but would like to mark it watched for both of us. Same with the kids there are shows we watch as a family and it would be nice to be able to mark it watched for everyone.

@@mediacowboy

This may be possible yes, but how do you imagine it? As a homescreen option at the bottom row, called "Also Watching". Clicking this behaves the same as the normal login screen, you pick a user and it adds them to the also watching list. Clicking "Also Watching" again and choosing the same user, will remove them from the list. So it basically will toggle the users in and out of the "Also Watching" by merely selecting their username a first time, and a second time in the exact same way. This seems most intuitive. Then it would only sync playstates and played, or should it sync everything to multiple users, the favorite items chosen after that point and etc?

@@Angelblue05

I know Kodi offers this ability to have "Also Watching", but when doing so does it sync favorites, and mark unplayed, and all user actions, or just what is watched and the resume points?

mediacowboy

@@mediacowboy

This may be possible yes, but how do you imagine it? As a homescreen option at the bottom row, called "Also Watching". Clicking this behaves the same as the normal login screen, you pick a user and it adds them to the also watching list. Clicking "Also Watching" again and choosing the same user, will remove them from the list. So it basically will toggle the users in and out of the "Also Watching" by merely selecting their username a first time, and a second time in the exact same way. This seems most intuitive. Then it would only sync playstates and played, or should it sync everything to multiple users, the favorite items chosen after that point and etc?

Excatly. As far as what to sync I would just sync the playstate and wether it was played or not to each user that is currently "Also Watching"

The app won't have to worry about syncing anything. There are api calls to add and remove users from the session.

@@ebr, really? What are these endpoints? How does one become privy to these without having to delve into others code and spend so much time cross referencing? I so want to do more but am limited by endpoints I am familiar with. Please elaborate. Do you make use of these in your androidtv/firetv app? Just curious how you've implemented it.

Edited by speechles

mediacowboy

I have two Roku sticks but haven't really used the this version on them. I primarily use a Roku 3 and my iPad. I know the official runs great so I don't see why this one wouldn't. 

Angelblue05

@@Angelblue05

I know Kodi offers this ability to have "Also Watching", but when doing so does it sync favorites, and mark unplayed, and all user actions, or just what is watched and the resume points?

When posting capabilities to the server, the server assigns a session Id to the connection. You need that session Id and the userId of the user you want to add to the session.

Then it's just a matter of doing a POST or DELETE using the following: "{server}/emby/Sessions/{sessionId}/Users/{UserId_to_addremove}format=json"

I believe it just tracks resume points and watched status (played) - I do not think marked as unplayed also marks the content as unwatched for additional users, same for favorites... but I would need to test to be 100% sure.

Edited by Angelblue05

mediacowboy

@@mediacowboy

Do you run this on your Roku sticks?

If so, how is it?

My kids decide to watch TV on one of the sticks today. Everything seems fine.

When posting capabilities to the server, the server assigns a session Id to the connection. You need that session Id and the userId of the user you want to add to the session.

Then it's just a matter of doing a POST or DELETE using the following: "{server}/emby/Sessions/{sessionId}/Users/{UserId}format=json"

I believe it just tracks resume points and watched status (played) - I do not think marked as unplayed also marks the content as unwatched for additional users... but I would need to test.

Okay, nice. So right off I can tell the roku presently isnt even keeping the sessionID when posting it is just discarding it. I manipulate the capabilities when forcing say transcoding, so when sending new capabilities every time I need to keep track of the sessionID and check all users also watching back in by their userID? I would assume so. Gonna try to see how hard adding this would be, knowing the server is handling so much of it is nice. So little required to make this work then. Thanks for the infos. ^_~

Edit: caught your edit. Thats fine if it doesnt sync marking favorites, played, unplayed as long as it syncs playstates and resume points. If it did sync favorites, then the favorite items would need merging when displayed since the also watching users have favorites. So I think its best the feature keep the name "Also Watching" which implies only playstates and resume points. I can see the implications of syncing too much already, so I am glad it is done the way it is.

Edited by speechles

New version: v3.25

ee32845e883aa418b1e336084306691a.jpg

No need to kill your music lists now, unless you really want to. You can use the menu choices to choose which menu pops up on *, audio or video. Using this the trailer and series/season screens are much easier to navigate and music can keep playing. This keeps conflicting popups from appearing, you have complete control over which popup does. In music, you might toggle this to video and get locked out because music has no video context menu. Everytime you enter the music list screen the context menu is set to audio. So if you do change it to video on the music screen and get locked out you can go out and back into your music list and it will reset it to audio.

Still considering how to add the custom rows and "also watching" havent forgot about these.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Okay, nice. So right off I can tell the roku presently isnt even keeping the sessionID when posting it is just discarding it. I manipulate the capabilities when forcing say transcoding, so when sending new capabilities every time I need to keep track of the sessionID and check all users also watching back in by their userID? I would assume so. Gonna try to see how hard adding this would be, knowing the server is handling so much of it is nice. So little required to make this work then. Thanks for the infos. ^_~

Edit: caught your edit. Thats fine if it doesnt sync marking favorites, played, unplayed as long as it syncs playstates and resume points. If it did sync favorites, then the favorite items would need merging when displayed since the also watching users have favorites. So I think its best the feature keep the name "Also Watching" which implies only playstates and resume points. I can see the implications of syncing too much already, so I am glad it is done the way it is.

It should be the same session Id all throughout once it is set by Emby, until it's terminated when the user signs out. I think it keeps track with the device Id. If you need to update capabilities, I think there's a field that you can enter the already existing session Id. If this allows you to keep the same session Id, then your additional users is a "set and forget" scenario. I'd suggest using swagger-ui, to see how Emby reacts to your capabilities updates.

Edited by Angelblue05

Ok I have tried to go through everything in your posts, and confirm if it works, if I glance over something its because it worked as expected and I like the the way you implemented it. I'm a little concerned on the multiple users at once playstate type thing, i would hope that could be like this. Main user signs in, scrolls to bottom row, in options row would be a also watching area, inside would be the option to select what users you are watching with you, not sure how you would report that to the users after turning it on, like whos all watching, as it could easily be forgotten who is watching.... I also am a little concerned I wouldnt want this on the simple version as I don't want someone adding me as watching with them and making my life very sad when it comes to watch marks... lol, lot to think about on that one I would think. As for your photoshop I'm sure I could dust off my limited skills and take care of it but @@shaefurr could probably whip up whatever your after in mins even if he doesn't use this client.

Here are somethings i had questions about or noticed.

1. if episode has no guest stars or cast and crew option, main cast and crew is not a choice in the menu
  2. also for some reason when the episode does have cast and crew it also appears as a choice in the more menu, so when in the more menu
    with cast and crew and main cast crew the close window option is scrollable to and useable but not really visible, prefer cast and crew just wouldn't show up here again
  3. season page, love the ability to add show/series to favorites from *
  4. Is a side effect of having Goto The Flash if entered by the suggested/next up more menu that it also has to appear when your already in the The Flash via the * menu on season page, if so it's a worthwhile side effect to have it from entering at the next up level
  5. I have all my users preferences set a certain way one of them in particular is being ignored from the server side to the roku client. Hide watched content from latest media is unchecked, meaning i want them to still appear in latest even if watched. Great for when you fall asleep and just want to get back to it quickly, not so great as it disappears on Roku. Problem exists in official Roku client as well.
  6. When I use the jump in artist area, there is a * menu that I was hoping might let me add that artist to favorites without entering them. Instead I'm greeted with a cast and crew and close menu, either choice crashes me back to the Roku home screen.
  7. When browsing library for music with music playing if i switch the * selection from audio to video, i get cast and crew which appears to be invalid for me on any of my artists
    and also an option to add that artist to favorite, which i believe should be moved to the audio equivalent menu if possible
  8. Was wondering while in music library if we could please have either the capability have a * menu with sort by and sort order for the top albums row, as I would love that row to be sorted by Release Date, Descending
  9. When in any view that uses what I would call coverflow, mainly artists, albums is where im seeing it is there a way to have an item counter in the top right like almost everywhere else in the client.
  10. Also when going into Artist/Albums I was wondering once again if the resulting page could be sorted by Release Date / Descending so newest to oldest
  11. Love the clear playing list, one bug here. If user goes clear playing list while music is playing, so you know instead of hitting stop first. The server reports them still playing from the client and the dreaded flash back and forth happens. So I would imagine the clear playing list option just needs to issue a stop command before clearing.. Love it.

Now I'm going to separate out these next problems as it all relates to multiple servers configured in the client. If you don't have another server to connect to I'm sure @@MrWebsmith or myself can help you out, he has way more upload then me. ;)

1. When using sign out on the currently connected server, instead of being presented with user select screen for that server the user is taken to select server screen
  2. If doing the above the last signed in remembered user is also now signed out on any other servers in your list.
  3. If the last server the client was connected to is offline, the app responds with can't reach server and quits to roku home screen instead of presenting the server select screen

So for example Smith and I both have an account on each others server for our wives to consume more content. I want to signout of my wifes account while connected to my local server and pick my account. Because of the things listed above, this is what happens, I have to pick my server after signing her out, sign in, watch what i want, sign out, pick my server, pick her account, pick change server, do the manual login on Smiths server so its connected to her account there.

Now if it's just her switching back and forth from this point for servers via the change server option works perfectly, it's just the stuff that happens when I want to watch something and I have to sign her out of my server when the problems arise with multiple servers configured. 

Thanks again for all the hard work. Easiest way to get a hold of me is on Skype.

Edited by BAS

mikeraburn

Movies

Internet Trailers and Local Trailers Categories briefly show up for me and then disappear.

I do NOT have any Local Trailers.

I do not really care about Internet Trailers either.

Unless you put in some mind reading preference sensor into my Roku 4, I thought I let you know this.

User Account Swapping

I don't have any issues with this.

If we watch something together I just swap over, mark watched, and swap back.

I do have only ONE single server though.

User Account Swapping

I don't have any issues with this.

If we watch something together I just swap over, mark watched, and swap back.

I do have only ONE single server though.

This is how I handle it as well when me and the wife watch the same show but only logged in as her. I actually just fire up what ever device is closest to me, android, windows tablet and just mark it watched via the app on the device or the web client for my user profile. If i forget to do that next time I signed in with my profile I mark them same as you do.

mediacowboy

The problem isn't just the wife and me but also the kids or when in at the in-laws and we all watch something.

Edited by mediacowboy