Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mediacowboy

@@speechles, I noticed yesterday it wasn't go to the first unwatched episode, but going to the first episode of the series I will do more test tonight and post version number. Is anyone else seeing this?

@@speechles, I noticed yesterday it wasn't go to the first unwatched episode, but going to the first episode of the series I will do more test tonight and post version number. Is anyone else seeing this?

This is because of the chicken and the egg.

When the roku creates these season/series screens the roku knows ahead of time which season and episode to jump to. Before it has any other data.

Now this means all the images are missing at this point, so is the metadata, etc. Everything is just placeholders at this point.

Now the jump to season occurs before screen.show() so you dont notice it jumping. It just starts on the season correctly. Now episode has to be jumped to after screen.show(). This is a limit of the roku. So if you watch closely when entering the series screen it actually does "jump" to episodes.

Now because we have no data about the episodes. Like does array 0 hold just episode 1. Or does it hold episode 1 & 2, a merged episode. Or, is it episode 9 and you delete episodes you watch.

The app cant know this. It has no metadata, so the best I can do is move the context index to the array position minus one. So episode 7 jumps to array 6 because this is all we can do. If the jump is higher than the amount shown. It will jump to the end episode of that season.

This is the chicken and the egg. Which comes first. its also a catch-22, you cant exactly guess right every time without having metadata, you cant get that yet they are just placeholders...

If it indeed jumps to episode one when it shouldnt the server may have missed something. The server controls the jumping. The app requests where to jump to when using nextup. The server replies with the next season and episode it is in that series.

Is it jumping incorrectly for all your series?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

New Version: v3.58

* add left/right d-pad to adjust audio play position

* fix visual play pointer on "now playing" screen

More music love for all.

Now you can press left or right when on a track list or on the "now playing" screen. Pressing left will rewind the track 5sec per press. Pressing right will forward the track 5sec per press. This lets you now have full audio player capability with regards to adjusting the track as it is playing..

The visual play pointer that shows up on the "now playing" screen now works. As the track plays, or you use left/right to change the position playing in the track this will make the pointer move.

The only way to change tracks on the track list or within "now playing" is to use next/previous button which is next to the play button. Using left/right on the d-pad is only for fastforward/rewind of presently playing track.

f3930f57df5776205654ef50fb6cf2bb.jpg

These two changes make the music player even better. Try it out. Updated all links, enjoy. :)

Edited by speechles

mediacowboy

Looks like the item count for TV shows is broke. It is not showing the check mark or the episodes left. This is both on the home screen and in the TV section. Going into a show shows the check mark and even shows the correct unwatched episode.

Server version: 3.1.6013.22434

Blue Neon Version: 3.58

Please note also seeing this on the official app. I also reinstalled the app thinking it was a setting.

Edited by mediacowboy

mikeraburn

That is not happening for me.

All is well.

Server version  for WIN10  3.0.5973.0  ( are you running a nightly or beta server? my server says it's up to date)

Blue Neon 3.58

Looks like the item count for TV shows is broke. It is not showing the check mark or the episodes left. This is both on the home screen and in the TV section. Going into a show shows the check mark and even shows the correct unwatched episode.

Please note also seeing this on the official app. I also reinstalled the app thinking it was a setting.

mikeraburn

Oops

I did have a server update 3 days ago but I haven't restarted it YET.

I may hold off on restart until I hear more back from those smarter than me!!!!

That is not happening for me.

All is well.

Server version  for WIN10  3.0.5973.0  ( are you running a nightly or beta server? my server says it's up to date)

Blue Neon 3.58

I was still on an older server version. I am updating to the new beta, but it involves redo the DB and the clean database task and the fun, fun, fun... NOT! This is why I don't auto update. but in order to trouble-shoot I gotta be able to see it for myself. So I am at 49.4% clean DB so far after 4 hours. It isn't quick for me, but no idea if it should be. You just go "OKAY" and let it go until its done and occasionally look over the slowly moving % increases and make "GRRRRR" sounds.. heh. It's cool though, you can still access the server during this time it is just incredibly sllloooowwww while you navigate so you have to go slow, dont give her too much gas, keep it under 5 mph. But this is required to keep making the app better, having an up-to-date server to work on so its cool. Its all good here, I'm just being a bitter pill. :D

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35977-library-sync-exited/?p=339558

This also appears to be related to the same server version and Luke appears is already aware. This problem should fix itself when the server is updated, hopefully.

Were there any other issues anyone has?

Edit: just a note, it wasnt that bad. It jumped from 50.3% to 69% then 89% and within 20 more minutes it was finished. So the initial percentage of the clean db does take longer, but after this initial slow start once you get to 50% it seems downhill from there and picks up speed. It also appears more fluid for me in populating the "suggested" row than before. In my book that is a good thing and the juice was worth the squeeze.

@@Luke

When using the /shows/<show-id>/seasons was support for ismissing and isvirtualunaired removed? Please add them back. Using these we were able to sort out seasons of completely missing or upcoming episodes from the reply. This helps when you only have the last season of a series. You can enable ismissing=false and strip these seasons with all episodes missing from appearing. This doesnt mean remove all missing episodes. The way it was it worked like a remove empty folders and if you have no real episodes in that season it skips it. This needs to be fixed before users start to complain. Thanks :)

Edited by speechles

New version: v3.59

* fix audio crash bug

* add better looking "description" screen

* add preference for latest

* add functionality for latest preference

Fixed a huge audio crash bug. Nobody else spotted this? When you launch the client, before any music has played, choose a track list and enter it by pressing OK. Once in the track list click PLAY and the app would crash. This is because to start a track and add another track list you use OK. Since no track was playing, it would error trying to see the playing track list which there was none yet. This has been addressed, it isnt possible to crash now. :)

Added a much more effective "description" screen. When you can't read enough in the tiny description area, now you can use the "see more of the description" button and you will see like below:

1cb3707a9c660bf2d04ff164bf9db322.jpg

This is so much more easy on the eyes and easier to read than using a dialog. This looks much cleaner. I didnt use rotextscreen with scrolling. The text on that screen is too small to be read. It was ridiculously small with no way to change sizes. Instead it is using roparagraphscreen which keeps the text big and chunky. Unfortunately this doesnt allow scrolling but it does show alot more text. I also have it strip all newlines and carriage returns and merge the text into one big paragraph. This maximizes how much text can show and looks good. With TV shows I am fitting 2 lines where 1 line normally goes (see image above) so a tiny part is cutoff. This is acceptable to me to keep the extra information on screen.

For people wondering why does your latest rows appear incorrectly on your roku..

b32890a16afb4eb3399cf346df56084d.jpg

Find the "latest row" setting in preferences. You can now choose how these rows are fetched. There are two ways:

/Items - the normal fetch, uses sortby=dateadded&sortorder=descending

/Items/latest - the new way, like the web browser does things, this is experimental atm.

The /items/latest way has a problem in that the server does not allowing lazy loading of the metadata. It used to give a totalrecordcount and allow a start index. Alas, now it doesnt. Since there isnt a way to give a start index and use response paging. As a result, the row will display 8 items at first, until it refreshes. You navigate into something, go back, it loads the full 100. The other issue, since we cant tell it where to start. The first 8 will repeat. So the row will be items 1-8, then items 1-8 again, then the rest appear normally. This is not a bug in the app this is a trade off. Until luke adds the ability for start index to be used and gives a totalrecordcount with /items/latest this will be an issue. This is not the same as "itemscount" in fields. All that does it tell you how many are in the json, which is the same thing you can see using response.items.count(). So its not the same.

Updated all links, updated first post of the thread. Any bugs, issues, comments, suggestions? Feel free to post. Enjoys :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

@@speechles, have you noticed any issue with the roku BIF's? I am seeing it in both the official and blue Neon app. I posted this is the development server forums but haven't heard anything.

@@speechles, have you noticed any issue with the roku BIF's? I am seeing it in both the official and blue Neon app. I posted this is the development server forums but haven't heard anything.

I rarely if ever use BIFs. Also, I reverted back to 3.0.5973 because of earlier issues. I did notice when I updated last time there were tons of 404 errors looking for /videos/<video-id>/index.bif . Do you have the roku store your bif in media folders? Do you see these same errors in your logs?

I can create some bif and see what happens. As far as the app, I have not changed anything regarding how those are handled. It is literally, the exact same code in that regard as the official app.

Edited by speechles

Roku hasn't gotten my attention lately as it's only 2 of the tvs, and I really don't use either of them. I'll try to test a little more often for you. I keep on eye on the thread and love the constant updates and the family/friends dont seem to complain that it's ever broken... and that to me means your doing great work. To be honest I rarely see anyone using music on my server so probably why I didn't get a report of it. I'll have to go through everything here soon and come up with a new list of nitpicks :P

I went and looked through, here is one that is broken. The recommended refresh tile for movies is broken. Always stays on the same source movie for the list.

Only thing I wish could be done is like Similar to feature not to be so buried... users don't even know it exists... More, Goto, Similiar to... is a 3 step menu to dig into but once again to me that means my users aren't really going into that menu at all, probably not even entering More to use Goto even though they have been shown how. I know you have limited space to present options, so I'm sure there is no way to really enhance this.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by BAS

I went and looked through, here is one that is broken. The recommended refresh tile for movies is broken. Always stays on the same source movie for the list.

f196ed0996b7d0f2eb96adc8aaa49b6d.jpg

If you just roll through the toggle it wont change. If you click on the "refresh" tile it should change. It does for me.

Also, no worries about not using the roku much. I understand that. The roku is more for older people, or children, a bedroom TV, a guest room TV. This is fine. I realize it doesnt have the eye-candy "wow factor" yet. If it did it might tempt you to change your placement strategy and make roku center stage. But it isnt there yet. I feel ya. :)

The placement of the buttons is practicality. You get 6 buttons on the springboard, when you pop dialogs you get 9 buttons, the last is always close, so 8 usable buttons there. This causes the compromise of what is more used. These most used buttons are placed on the springboard. Then the buttons inside the dialogs are less commonly used. The buttons inside the "go to" menu are used somewhat frequently by me as well. Especially the goto series and goto network. This makes it so quick to navigate around, but I do see how some users might be afraid nosing around might break things. You can let them know it all works. The idea is try every button, see what they do, play around and see what each thing does. It should all be very simple to understand intentionally.

I appreciate the fact you are honest too. Dont pull any punches, aim for the gut. Its okay. I asked you to put the app through its paces and if it has problems for you feel free to rip me a new one. Dont hold back. :)

Edited by speechles

Yep I knew my terms would be off on the issue, my son showed me him clicking the refresh button, like in your image when he click its, it would always read similar to House II: The Second Story maybe some of the suggestions would change but all seem to be still be related to the same movie. I tried it on a few more of our profiles here with the same result. 

Yep I knew my terms would be off on the issue, my son showed me him clicking the refresh button, like in your image when he click its, it would always read similar to House II: The Second Story maybe some of the suggestions would change but all seem to be still be related to the same movie. I tried it on a few more of our profiles here with the same result.

Which version of the server? How often do you use the clean database task?

I am on the stable 3.0.5972, ran the cleanDB task within the last 24 hours and manually ran the scan media library task just after.

mikeraburn

Speechles,

"The roku is more for older people, or children, a bedroom TV, a guest room TV. This is fine. "

What the what??

Your words are hurtful.  :D 

• Like 1

Speechles,

"The roku is more for older people, or children, a bedroom TV, a guest room TV. This is fine. "

What the what??

Your words are hurtful.  :D 

I meant, erm... ya know.. people like myself, not exactly 20/20 vision, approaching 50.. nothing deragatory meant.. HAW.

If you don't fall into that category by all means, I apologize for the damage done. Old people are awesome. The older a person gets the more they feel this way. But yeah, jokes aside, the roku is the clearest to read from. It is dead easy with a black background and white chunky fat text over it. I was seriously having issues reading the descriptions on the dialog. The dialog has a stuck in stone, grey background. Now lay white text over that and at a distance there isnt much contrast and it required squinting for me. I got tired of that and said man, others must see it like me and its too hard to read. That is why I redesigned that option to use the same springboard as the rest of the app uses. Now it is clear as a bell for me and no more squinting.

Once again just to make clear, In no way was it meant to be taken as an insult against the elderly. It was more a tongue in cheek, wink wink nudge type of joke for those my age. :D

• Like 1

mikeraburn

"approaching 50"

Me too...

I thought I'd just jab at you.

I chuckled when I read that.

I swapped to mediabrowser for ROKU because I got tired of have my server in the same room as my tv and wanted to stream to another tv.

​Media browser did x265 better than plex.

My "server" is my old gaming machine with HDDs and SSDs stuffed into it and FANS everywhere.

Noisy thing it is. 

ROKUs were the cheapest way to outfit the televisions in the house AND finding YOUR Blue Neon was just the cherry on top.

I tried a raspberry pi 2 with openelec and KODI and it was too slow for me.

So toss in CHEAPSKATE with the adjectives for those who chose ROKU.

So I am a nearing 50 cheapskate! 

Proud of it!

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I can't say I'm old but I love that the blue neon makes it easy to read. 6 years in IT has killed my eye sight.

• Like 1

All jokes aside, even though I brand it blueneon its heart is still emby. So even though the paths have diverged, their intent is the same.

There isnt some battle to try to butt heads with developers and make this some, star wars type thing. Like jedi must use the force. Use the darkside app, or come to the blue with the rebel alliance and help defeat the first order. It just sounds silly, so its appropriate.

The blueneon app is meant purposely to make people feel good, blue is calming, the dark black night background helps eyesight. At night from across the room it is very easy to see things clearly. The screen saver and its bouncing emby logo with its little red heart beating around the screen.

This was all meant to hopefully, make everything seem super user friendly. The app is sad when you leave. It even goes so far as to say goodbye when you leave. It welcomes you back too. This was to make it seem like a friend, who doesnt want you to go. This is supposed to be endearing.

If you leave "also watching" users attached and come back to the app it will worry the other users arent watching anymore. It makes you tell it if they are still there or not. This helps to remind users their viewing may affect other users as they log in.

All of this helps overlook the dated UX and forgive it a little. Hopefully it is doing that. Time will bring wonderful things to emby users with rokus. Patience have, you must. Bad star wars joke, i know..

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Which version of the server? How often do you use the clean database task?

I am on the stable 3.0.5972, ran the cleanDB task within the last 24 hours and manually ran the scan media library task just after.

Gotcha I'm on beta level of server. 3.1.40 the clean db task ran 6 hours ago, I will try again today to see if its resolved itself yet and try to get back to you.

Edited by BAS
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

FYI - This has been fixed with the Latest Roku Thumbnail update, 3.0.6020.25379.

• Like 1

FYI - This has been fixed with the Latest Roku Thumbnail update, 3.0.6020.25379.

Nice. Thanks for letting us know, and thanks luke for addressing it quickly.

New Version: v3.60
* fix context menu bugs
* add friendlydevicename

The context menu was at times giving two context menus, this has been addressed.

The friendlydevicename for the roku will now be used when identifying the device to the emby server. This means you can name your roku through http://owner.roku.com and the name you choose here will become the name of that roku within emby. If you set a preferred device name within the app, this will be used instead. If you delete the preferred device name, it will revert back to it's friendlydevicename. This makes it more in line with how other apps like youtube identify the roku.

LwivKdf.png

This is how it should look which matches what youtube calls it when I attempt to cast to the roku. Perfect.

Updated all links in first post. Enjoys ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2