Theme: blue neon night

speechles

@@dredd1963

Did you manually create the collection or use the auto boxset plugin? I am guessing these are manually created by the lack of "collection" on the end of the word ALIEN.

Which method are you using to enter collections?
Thru the movie library and entering collections thru the collections row?
Thru the collections row on the homescreen?
Thru the folder group on the homescreen and then entering into collections?

Thru the search screen and entering the collection?

Does pressing * popup a context menu? If so, choose "change view style" then set imagetype to poster. If this doesnt work, the change is likely when I removed the ability for native collections to allow changing the view style, sort, and filter options. You got stuck without a way to change. This is rare. I actually had this happen to me.

This is how I solved it when my collections became "stuck". Delete all the blue neon apps on your device. It should ask "are you sure you want to remove this app?". When it asks that it will erase the registry for that application and the application when you choose yes. This is what fixes it. Now readd the blueneon app and unfortunately you have to setup preferences again. But now it should work and wont become stuck like this ever again.

The reason is you changed the boxset imagetype when I allowed those types of changes. Now I force poster style, but you still read in the thumbnail or backdrop. The effect is seeing a thumbnail/backdrop in a poster frame.

See these posts:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=306877

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/8001-emby-for-roku-channel/?p=313793

This is what caused the change in behavior. Let me know if delete and reinstall the app fixes it or not. *crosses fingers*

Edited by speechles

Does anyone else see a distortion in MORE OPTIONS under the use auto detection private choice?

I can click down to the obscure choice and it closes the options window, <--- winner winner chicken dinner??

So my guess is it's one them stinkin array issues.

Dang nabbit. 

Which obscure choice? You mean at the bottom of the "more options" dialog is an option which you can only see part of and no way to tell what it is?

This is because I stacked that dialog as full of buttons as possible and then went one over when I added the "show similar titles" button. I thought this might happen when there are "special features" too which are playable. You should still be able to partially see the button at the bottom which will always be "close this window". I will look into finding a way to add the extra button without having it partially obscure the way you close the window.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Which obscure choice? You mean at the bottom of the "more options" dialog is an option which you can only see part of and no way to tell what it is?

This is because I stacked that dialog as full of buttons as possible and then went one over when I added the "show similar titles" button. I thought this might happen when there are "special features" too which are playable. You should still be able to partially see the button at the bottom which will always be "close this window". I will look into finding a way to add the extra button without having it partially obscure the way you close the window.

Put that at the very bottom of your to do list if it is only me seeing that.

It in no way affects me nor is it a hindrance or nuisance.

dredd1963

Hi

Yes i did create the collections through the library and do enter through the collections.

Must admit that i didn't add collection to the end of the collection title, which doesn't appear to be a problem  anywhere else.

will add and see what happens, will let you what happens in a few days as the kids are off school for a week at mo.

Thanks for your help mate.

Hi

Yes i did create the collections through the library and do enter through the collections.

Must admit that i didn't add collection to the end of the collection title, which doesn't appear to be a problem anywhere else.

will add and see what happens, will let you what happens in a few days as the kids are off school for a week at mo.

Thanks for your help mate.

I see what was causing it. This wasn't entirely your fault. When opening the collection to its list of movies it was incorrectly using the "folders" setting instead of "boxset". This was causing issues when people browse by "folder view".

So Ive fixed the issue above. I also have it reset the imagetype of the boxset to 0 every time you enter that screen. So there is no way this can get ever get stuck on 1. This should never be an issue in the future.

Also the "bug" I show above using the "popcorn" image for collections wasnt a bug. This happens if your collection is missing both thumbs and backdrop. To keep the image 16x9 the only one left to grab is the landscape image of the main collections image which in my case is "popcorn". This is normal behavior.

I will release an update today that corrects the foldet/boxset issue today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Put that at the very bottom of your to do list if it is only me seeing that.

It in no way affects me nor is it a hindrance or nuisance.

Lol. I may move the "similar titles" from the "more options" into the "go to options" window. The "go to" has room for one more button. Heh. Lets call it "-> go to similar titles"

This will mean a few extra button presses to get to it. But this is the only way to do it. I do not want to make accessing the force/auto play methods take more clicks.

Hopefully this is acceptable. :)

New version: v3.52

* fix image issue when browsing by folders using collections

* fix close this window button from becoming obscured/partially missing.

* add favorites for every row in the filmography screen

0c67bbdbcad592755728fbcb7ba3b556.jpg

This shows the new placement of the similar titles button. There is also the collections issue now fixed. Another new thing is Filmography will now will show your favorites. Say you have a favorite movie by samuel l. jackson. Maybe it is pulp fiction. When browsing to filmography for samuel l. jackson your favorites for each type will appear in additional rows. So click pulp fiction and favorite it. Now when navigate to filmography for samuel l. jackson pulp fiction appears in the favorite movies row. This makes it easier for children. It also makes it easier to get there with less clicks. This is the entire point of having a favorite row on every screen.

Updated all links in the first post. Enjoys

Also has anyone found any other issues? Got any feature requests? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Lol.. feel free to post them here.

Grid cover flow for movie/tv screens would be cool but man is it slow to load even medium sized collections this way. This is why you may notice it mysteriously absent. You have to load all the rows before you can populate them. This requires of course knowing how many items there are. Hence you have to load all the items first. No lazy loading like other screens do where you see the loading spinner. So yeah, adding things even though cool isnt worth doing at the monent.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

What about starting to adapt to the new screen format? Just playing I know we will get there soon enough.

In all seriousness I don't know how you manage to find the time and energy. Thanks know you for making this one of the most used apps I have and love. Plus the waf is through the roof. Something I never thought possible when. I set out about this 6 or 7 years ago.

I just thought of something and I don't even know of this would be possible as the server doesn't really have love for ebooks right now. What about reading a book on your roku with background music playing? Just a far fetched idea but the answer is always no unless you ask.

Edited by mediacowboy

What about starting to adapt to the new screen format? Just playing I know we will get there soon enough.

Haw.. when that move is made those with roku's that never made the jump to firmware 7 get left out. It also means bye bye roku1 and rokuSE. So what I was doing is donate my time keeping emby roku users entertained over here, while the main team spends their time making the new app and doing other things. Then the old app, can still exist for those who get left out. Maximized with features so they stay happy.

It was never my intention to design an entirely new UX and write scene graph interactions. I can learn that and start getting there, but...it would be great if the main emby developers were doing that part. Once done any adjustments, additions to it, etc I am fine with doing. Remember, the app is free.

The other TV apps are all require premiere or one time payments. I can help do some things to keep the app free, since core emby developers arent involved and I am donate the time. But once an official scene graph app happens it may go to premiere members only and validate itself. This is how it has to be to keep core developers interested. Once some time passes and I am allowed I will release forks of that version with additional features and tricks. Those versions I hope and wish to keep free for all.

Hopefully this illustrates the situation better and makes it completely clear and no suprises later.

In all seriousness I don't know how you manage to find the time and energy. Thanks know you for making this one of the most used apps I have and love. Plus the waf is through the roof. Something I never thought possible when. I set out about this 6 or 7 years ago.

I use this as my primary app on TV. So it gets more attention since I directly get benefits from making the app better. I get to add features that appeal to families. The also watching, sleep timer/interaction timeout, and other features were designed with families in mind. Thats why the theme is whimsical with bright neon blue/green, and has color changes possible. Families have kids. Kids love coloring. This is also why the splash screen, screen saver and store icons have the emby logo set inside a giant neon blue orb. That orb is the moon. This fits the night theme perfectly.

BsqA4Tv.jpg

I need to fix the font on those images and change it to a lowercase "emby" with the half neon blue effect. I see that as a bug I will fix for the next release. Update the icons in screen saver, splash screen, and roku store noted.

I just thought of something and I don't even know of this would be possible as the server doesn't really have love for ebooks right now. What about reading a book on your roku with background music playing? Just a far fetched idea but the answer is always no unless you ask.

I would love to do this, but the roku would have to spawn another app outside of emby to do this. You find your book and click read. Up pops a dialog asking which app to launch. i would prepopulate this with ebook apps that allow launching via what roku calls "deep-linking". This would download that ebook app to your roku if you didnt alreay have it. Then launch that app with the book of your choice. This means the roku has to download the ebook to itself from the server first. It would work exactly like it did on redshirt's old android app. It would also require the users server has the bookshelf plugin installed to allow the read button to appear. This is completely doable but the background music is lost. This will take time and be a major effort, so I can give no timeframe of when I might get started. It is food for thought though. If it were just TXT type files then we could do it all in the emby app with background music, but most are epub/mobi/etc. I like your suggestions please keep them up.

Edited by speechles

dredd1963

@ speechles

when will you be posting the new update, just checked for it but its not there. fingers crossed that this will short my issue. out of interest, i checked through my collections found one with collection in the title, but it had the same issue. So hopefully now you sorted it.

Tanks for your time and help mate. :)

@ speechles

when will you be posting the new update, just checked for it but its not there. fingers crossed that this will short my issue. out of interest, i checked through my collections found one with collection in the title, but it had the same issue. So hopefully now you sorted it.

Tanks for your time and help mate. :)

It is already updated. It should auto-update if you've used the roku store links. If you sideload, grab the updated zip from first post.

New version: v3.53

* Update graphics

Updated all the roku store icons, the screen saver, the splash screen and the emby logo in the top left corner of the screen.

7b323d2e51a51d5d79e2e56bcbcc6b2e.jpg

emby <3 and because favorites are a focal point in the app.

Updated all links in the first post enjoy.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

New version: v3.54

* fix track list rows to respect jumping to that title using OK and PLAY

* fix "multiple play indicators" when using "go to track list"

* add favorites row to seach when viewing genres and studios

* add playlists row to music screen

* fix "go to track list" to properly jump to the presently playing song

* change default of "Stop Music" setting to NO instead of YES

Spent some time polishing up the app. Fixing all the little things wrong I could find. Added some things that make music more enjoyable too.

If you press OK on a track title, it will move you to the track list, and jump the pointer to that title. If you press PLAY on a track title, it will move you to the track list, jump the pointer to that title, and start playing that track. This makes tracks work just like videos do. If you press PLAY on a row it will play that item and all items after it sequentially. This makes music much more easier to use. This also fixes the bug with "multiple play indicators".

This wasnt simple to add on the homescreen as both recently played and frequently played have their tracks offset by two positions. The "music library" and "music toggle" are indexes 0 and 1. So when choosing tracks from those two rows, I tell the viewcontroller to subtract 2 from the index just before it sets the play indicator and moves the index pointer.

The favorites row now exists when searching and using the genre and studio results. You will now see the lower rows adopt your favorites from each of the rows above. This matches the functionality in all the other screens which include favorite rows. This makes it more consistant.

There is no more automatic play when entering track lists. If you want an item to play when you enter use the PLAY button on a track title. This makes it so you can browse music fully while tracks play, even so far as looking at another track list, while the other track list plays in the background. This makes music much more usable.

You now find playlists on the music screen, cuz why not. Easier to get to music all on one screen. Also changed the "Stop Music" function to default to NO. Since the music functions are now 100% bug free why not enable it right off for all to enjoy.

Also, the top left icon with the big red heart under the emby logo has been removed. It was too distracting to the eye having the color red up there. So the heart exists only in the roku store icons, home screen icon, splash screen, and screen saver.

All links are updated in the first post. If you see any issues, strange behavior, bugs, or have some feature requests feel free to mention them. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

New Version: v3.55

* fix "multiple play indicators" in track list once and for all

* fix "multiple start" from appearing in now playing

There was a problem with the play indicators. They could be shown multiple times if you change tracks in the "now playing" screen rather than the "track list" screen. So what I've done is every time "go to track list" is used it erases all play indicators. Then places it correctly on the presently playing song if any. This will work correctly every time.

I've also corrected the multiple playcount problem. When you use fast-forward or rewind it was causing the server to interpret this as another playcount. So if you watched the movie once, and used fast forward twice, the playcount is 3 instead of 1. This has been addressed. You can check this yourself in your servers "recent activity" window. This should make the playcount honest in the app. This will help with users who also use trak and those who rely on accurate playcounts.

Updated the first post. Added much more easier ways to download the app. There are ways to download via roku store and via zip for both apps ("full force" and the "simple"). It is both nowTV and roku friendly. I even added graphical download buttons . Those already with the app, updated your roku or wait for todays update to happen automatically. Enjoy :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

New Version: v3.56

* Add "Music List" button to OPTIONS row
* Add track count below "Now Playing" and "Music List" in OPTIONS row
* Change "view" row limits to 100 instead of 75
* Add preference "disable cinema mode" to disable trailer/intros

The "Music List" button in the options row at the bottom of the homescreen will take you directly to the tracks in your music list. When changing songs this will respect the "music list" stays on top. If you use the "Now Playing" button instead this will load to the now playing screen. When changing songs this will respect "now playing" stays on top. Both these buttons use the same artwork, the titles below identify their behavior. The track count for both "now playing" and "music list" will be shown below each of these in the options row.

The "music list" and "now playing" buttons will not appear unless there exists an active track list selected already. If no tracks have been played yet, these buttons will not appear. Once a track is played, all tracks on that screen are loaded into the music list. As tracks are played with the "OK" button from different albums, from a search, etc these are loaded and replace the present track list. Once inside the "music list" the play/pause button will only play/pause the presently playing song, fast-forward and rewind will only change tracks. Only the "OK" button can be used to select tracks and create tracks for a new "music list" when already inside a different "music list". Hopefully this explains enough how that works. :)

The raised "view" limit affects all items in the toggle. You will see this as 102 maximum items can be in the row, because the "library" icon and the "toggle" icon take up the first 2 positions. This makes it match the other limits in other rows (think music) where it also maxes out at 100 items. This helps consistency.

The preference for cinema mode is finally here. Rejoice! But you could have always done this using "play by scene" along with "0:00" as the scene to start with. Now you can directly choose "play" and regardless of the setting on the server, the app will allow controlling it independently. This was requested in another thread so why not add it.

Updated all the links in the first post. Enjoys and happy streaming. May the "force directstream" be with you.. Always..

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

@@speechles, I had a idea come to me and I don't know ow if it is do able or not but I think it would be beneficial.

So on a fresh install of the app it defaults to 3.5 Mbps or something like that. Is there anyway to have it test the speed like the other apps and determine the best speed? Just a idea and it may help with people who see choppy playback.

@@speechles, I had a idea come to me and I don't know ow if it is do able or not but I think it would be beneficial.

So on a fresh install of the app it defaults to 3.5 Mbps or something like that. Is there anyway to have it test the speed like the other apps and determine the best speed? Just a idea and it may help with people who see choppy playback.

This would be possible. There is already code in the app to have it self check available bandwidth (thx plex). It just isnt used, or fully initialised to be used correctly for emby. So this is possible to have an AUTO setting in video quality and constantly let the app detect what it considers the max bandwidth available at the moment before it plays video. Subtract 384 for it to allow audio bitrates to fit in, and send the server this value as the max video bitrate. It will just take playing around with that area to figure out how it was intended to work. This is possible indeed.

Ive been messing around more with music, correcting bugs. Making the audioplayer independently controlled. Seperating its track list, selected and playing indexes. This way it works like a background jukebox. This allows full navigation of your entire library with background music. Combined with the photo slideshow this makes it really cool. You can already do this in the app. You can also have a track list displayed completely different than the one actually playing. These features you already should be enjoying.

The beauty of this, is a future release, would allow the roku to have a truly independent audio play queue. So you can add items to it, remove them from it etc. It is already doing this, but you have to add complete items to the queue and any in it are replaced completely by what is added.

This would make it work like the androidTV/fireTV app. Where there is a completely seperate music player controller. It already is like that, but there is no way to add individual tracks from another track list..yet. There is no way to delete tracks within the audioplayer track list either..yet. Once there is, you can customize an entire audio playlist through the roku, then save it on the server as an audio playlist and name it. Now it is remembered as a playlist. This is where I want to take the app. The ability for users to build video playlists and save/name them would be nice too, eventually.

Stay tuned...

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

OPUS audio codec

I know that Blue Neon can trans-code OPUS (unknown audio file) to acc or ac3, your choice in settings.

BUT,,, (there's always a but)

What is preventing that codec from direct streaming?

Is it the Roku software itself?

When I trans-code the file below to acc it turns the video to garbage.

Something is telling me it is the level 153???

No trans-coding for "unknown audio" and the video is excellent but no sound.

Guess I can watch it that way with subs on!!!  :D

Media Info
Video
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level153
Resolution1904x1072
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate1142 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
Audio
Languageeng
CodecOPUS
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
TitleEng OPUS 5.1 (D)
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Titleeng srt
Containermkv

@@mikeraburn

I think if emby has to transcode, it can't allow hevc->hevc, it instead has to use hevc->h264. I believe this is a limit of HLS which is what the roku uses when transcoding. Even if just the audio codec is the issue for the transcoding it cannot keep the hevc because of HLS. This is what causes the pixelization issue. There was an update to the server which increases the bitrate used when transcoding hevc->h264 that should produce much better results.

See this thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34266-transcoding-mkv-x265-for-roku-3

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I found a solution to MY issue.

Avoid OPUS codec.

Easy Peasy.

• Like 1

@@mikeraburn

Is it just that one video with opus, or several? I assume they just have the single video and single audio stream? You can use ffmpeg to "fix" those videos so the roku can direct play them.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mkv -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 384k -ac 6 outputfile.mkv

This will keep the HEVC and transcode just the opus to dolby/ac3 and in a format the roku likes, with a bitrate under 384k. This is the easiest way to correct those problems. Since it just has to transcode the audio, this will finish rather quickly. Then replace the file in your emby library with the dolby copy. The dolby copy will direct play on you roku4.

This ffmpeg command above will work for any videos encoded with HEVC or h264 and will change the audio codec into a roku friendly and compatible one.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

It WAS only one file.

If Blue Neon + Roku 4 cannot play it with out my altering it, it ain't worth keeping or watching.

mikeraburn

Thanks for that link.

I do not understand 99% of what they are saying but it is interesting.

I bookmarked it and now I may be able to answer some of my own questions.

Thanks !

• Like 1

New Version: v3.57

* Rename "Album list" to "Discography"

* Rename "Music list" to "Track list"

* Add proper separation between a playing track list and one being viewed

Renamed "album list" button to use the more appropriate name of "discography". This matches the other term the app uses "filmography".

The "Music list" can hold podcasts, audio books, and lots of things not music. So renamed all spots using "music list" to instead refer to "Track list".

There is now a 100% separate music player in the app. The play/pause indicators and such will only appear when they should when viewing the appropriate track list which contains these tracks. The "go to track list" and the "track list" button on the bottom of the home screen will always go to the currently loaded track list and display the proper playing position and play/pause icon.

Updated all links. Enjoy. :)

Also, has anyone taken advantage of the music features in the app? It should be very close to perfect now in that regard. Try to Search for tracks and see if any show up. Try playing tracks in the background from one album while looking at another albums tracks. Can also be playing tracks directly from your recently played tracks and frequently played tracks within the music row's home screen toggle. Enter the music screen and play directly from favorite tracks row. There are now several ways you can enjoy this so take advantage of them all.