New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Guest asrequested

I am running Windows 10. I was using Classic, which was great, but now there's no WMC, so I'm forced to used Theater. With several major tweaks, it works kinda the way I want it. BUT..... now when I press stop when playing a movie, 50% of the time, it locks up and i have to force close it. The interface really needs to be more customizable, like in Classic. I love EMBY, and I really want to continue using it, but right now, I'm having to search my directory, manually and use a standard player. I'm seriously considering giving up on EMBY completely, as right now, it's useless.

How about getting back to topic guys?

I've been checking back here on a daily basis to find out if we are there yet.

What I mean is: whats the news on Emby Theatre new version?

Luke said at the end of July "weeks in stead of months and then during August something like "hopefully by the end of month".

We are almost at the end of Septembre now, but no new ETA and no blogpost with teasers.

I'm getting inpatient.

I do respect the fact that it's all sparetime development and it has been amazing what has been done sofar, however I hope you can understand my (and probably lots of other ET users) frustration nothing new has been reported.

I appologise upfront for my rant, love Emby and the way it has progressed over the years.

Just want to get my hands on the new ET as soon as possible :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What is it that you didn't like about JRiver and Kodi? JRiver is probably the best there is when it comes to music management, however the "theater mode" is severely lacking. I find that Kodi does movies, TV, and music all very well (try the Mutagen addon for ID3v2 support). I don't have much experience with photo library as I let Lightroom manage my folder structure and just browse the folders using Kodi.  With any metadata scraper, garbage in equals garbage out.

I reached the impression from my (admittedly limited) testing that JRiver has so many bells and whistles that it is overly-complex for what it is. It has more features, knobs and switches bolted on that I would never want to use. It’s not for me. It also hasn't been architected as a client/server design, which is what I'm looking for (hence my interest in Plex and Emby). Kodi I took a very quick look at, and thought that I'd be spending more time tweaking and adding in third-party add-ons to get it to do what I want. Life is too short.

I use a Digital Asset Management system (Photo Supreme) to manage my photos and do metadata management, The issue is that "browsing folders" is simply not useful to me. I want to be able to put together a quick slideshow using my HTPC client that is assembled using dynamic searching of photo metadata; e.g. show me the photos of our "vacation" in "Barcelona" in "1992"...

• Like 1

AgileHumor

I'm trying out Kodi today...and think it we'll be best for my Home Automation needs as their is already a lot of plugins.

Can't seem to figure out the Netflix plugin just yet...but I remain somewhat unimpressed compared to Emby for WMC after poking around.

I will have a blog teaser in the next few days, promise this time. 

In the meantime, have you guys read about using WMC in windows 10?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25191-good-news-wmc-in-windows-10/page-2&do=findComment&comment=249086

It's worth looking at so that you don't have to switch to completely different software while you wait.

• Like 4

can't wait. i'm retrofitting my whole system based on Emby. the thing I'm terribly curious about is the comment that other systems might be supported. is there a chance for a minimal linux distro capable of running on a Raspberry Pi?

btw, even though this isn't the perfect thread, why not an arrow key and enter focused web interface? personally, that is the interface I want. such an interface (by nature) would be touch friendly and could even be pretty if designed so. even given the current state of html, a modern browser can accomplish a fairly impressive app experience.

Edited by moore

I'm trying out Kodi today...and think it we'll be best for my Home Automation needs as their is already a lot of plugins.

O/T, but if you're into Home Automation, you might want to take a look at Domoticz... It's pretty good.

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25191-good-news-wmc-in-windows-10/page-2&do=findComment&comment=249086

It's worth looking at so that you don't have to switch to completely different software while you wait.

Ooops, that sounds like it may take another few months before ET phones home

Guest asrequested

I will have a blog teaser in the next few days, promise this time. 

It doesn't work .....AT ALL!

Guest asrequested

I'm so disappointed! Theater is the second most important piece of software you guys are developing, and its been all but forgotten! The server is worthless without it! The apps are such a low priority, an after though really, or so they should be. I've been using this software for years, and have been happy with it. Now I can't use it at all! Whose idea was it to focus on the dashboard ornaments, and not the wheels of the vehicle. Isn't the most important part, to make it usable?!?!?!

I'm so disappointed! Theater is the second most important piece of software you guys are developing, and its been all but forgotten! The server is worthless without it! The apps are such a low priority, an after though really, or so they should be. I've been using this software for years, and have been happy with it. Now I can't use it at all! Whose idea was it to focus on the dashboard ornaments, and not the wheels of the vehicle. Isn't the most important part, to make it usable?!?!?!

It seems this train of thought is going against the current trend

MikeMcEwan

While I completely agree that Theater should be higher up on the priority list that it seems to be, Luke literally just told us that a preview of the completely re-built Emby Theater is coming very soon. No reason to complain now of all time when these guys are hard at work.

Yes, it's frustrating that the current version of Theater didn't get to the level we all need it to be for our systems, but at the same time there's no point in continuing to fix it up and spend time on it if it's flawed and needs to be re-built from the ground up.

Hoping to hear an update from Luke soon.

• Like 1

JoshuaAJones

Doofus, while we all understand your frustrations.  These forums (unlike others that I have been a part of over the years) are productive, not destructive.

If you have a question, you ask and Luke, ebr, Vidman, or some other awesome user will help you to the best of their abilities to get you back on the right track with a tweak to either your settings or the program.

Every single thing you seem to post is non-productive: "I'm seriously considering giving up on EMBY completely, as right now, it's useless", "Just finish Theater and stop this nonsense!", "I'm so disappointed!", etc...

I watch over 100 TV series/season and have almost 4K movies in my HTPC.  After surgery last week, I am currently living on my couch so my ET is constantly running.

Does it have problems? Yes.  Do the devs know about them? Yes.  Would constant griping get the next version of ET to the market faster? No.

Please, try and be patient and I'm sure your FREE software will be at your fingertips before you know it.

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

But, if you have a valid suggestion that you would like to see implemented in the next version of ET or any other app, post away. :) 

• Like 6

Deathsquirrel

Emby Theater isn't the second most important part of the suite and it is usable for lots of folks.

In terms of users, PC clients aren't the largest part of the user base by what's likely a big margin.  All of the users of the HTPC clients have access to Emby Classic and the Kodi plugin as well as Emby Theater so it isn't even the only client on this platform.

In terms of usability, I've been using it as the primary HTPC client platform in my family room for a couple years now so clearly it's usable.  It has issues but it does play movies just fine IMO.

You can look forward to the new version, quit and use a different client, or quit using emby altogether if it floats your boat, but the slow development of Emby Theater can't possibly be the only thing preventing you using this software.

Your comments seem a bit extreme.  It may be a client that has a lot of appeal to a large portion of the user base, but the server is hardly unusable without it.  If you spend some time looking at the alternatives, like Kodi with the Emby plugin, you might realize that it is quite functional.  Yes, it requires a little effort to get it setup, but an intelligent person can have it customized to their liking in pretty short order.  It's fast, very stable, and the only client with Netflix integration now that Netflix ended support for the WMC plugin.

Deathsquirrel

Your comments seem a bit extreme.  It may be a client that has a lot of appeal to a large portion of the user base, but the server is hardly unusable without it.  If you spend some time looking at the alternatives, like Kodi with the Emby plugin, you might realize that it is quite functional.  Yes, it requires a little effort to get it setup, but an intelligent person can have it customized to their liking in pretty short order.  It's fast, very stable, and the only client with Netflix integration now that Netflix ended support for the WMC plugin.

Well they can have it setup.  I don't think you can say 'to their liking' with any certainty.  Some of us really dislike the Kodi user experience ;)

If Emby Theater didn't work more or less fine for movie playback I'd use the WMC plugin version, Emby Classic, or the win 10 app which works really well with my bluetooth touchpad.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

Well they can have it setup.  I don't think you can say 'to their liking' with any certainty.  Some of us really dislike the Kodi user experience ;)

If Emby Theater didn't work more or less fine for movie playback I'd use the WMC plugin version, Emby Classic, or the win 10 app which works really well with my bluetooth touchpad.

You do not understand, do you? For me and others is Emby Theatre about image quality ... that you do not get with a Windows 10 app. For me, I get it only with madVR that I hope Emby Theatre fully supports.

• Like 2

You do not understand, do you? For me and others is Emby Theatre about image quality ... that you do not get with a Windows 10 app. For me, I get it only with madVR that I hope Emby Theatre fully supports.

I use MadVR as a well, and I'm looking forward to the new release.  Badgering the developers isn't going to make them work any faster.  I'm sure most have full-time jobs and work on this free software on the side.  I'd rather they take more time and do it right, than rush something out the door.

lifespeed

I share the disappointment with the current version of Emby Theatre, and intend to vote with my wallet (donate) when the improved version is released and dazzles us with the improvements.

Deathsquirrel

Then use Emby Theater, I do too.  Or use Kodi.  Or use the web UI with a external player.  Every one of those options allows you the image quality changes you're looking for.  MBT could disappear from the face of the earth and you'd still have alternatives.

No, Kodi isn't for everyone, but for people that use multiple services like Live TV, Netflix, plus local content, and all from a remote and 10' interface, then it's one of the few options available.

People complain about the amount of configuration involved with Kodi, but it's no worse than the amount of configuration required with WMC and an external player using madvr, etc.  In fact, I find things like forced subtitles to work more reliably than with mpc and with less effort.  Live TV is better in WMC, but everything else is worse.