live tv

dylanrellis

Latchmor

@@ernstgot Yip, sorry. I've been on dev since the start for MBS, MBC and MBT as I'm happy to deal with stability problems so I can see the new stuff!

No live TV stuff yet, just a few blank pages in the web client. Luke will let us followers know soon, lol.

Cheers

Edited by Latchmor

I agree with that assessment. Too many cases of removing functionality or introducing new bugs in new versions and not caring about fixing issues.Is anyone interested in following up on DVBviewer? I know it is very stable, supports softcams and CI and can run as a server.Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I am hoping to follow up on dvbviewer, not had much time with work and "issues" with my new server...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

wally007

I'm also using DVBlink and like how stable their backend is but thier customer support and communication skills are sub-par.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, they are the only game in town for Dreambox/Enigma2 tuners. All of us in the UK receiving Sky and Freesat need them for reliable Sky reception.

If there's another software that provides Dreambox ( or any other Network tuner ), let me know.

Name one live tv pvr app that can start live tv within 2 to 3 seconds, change channels in 1 to 2 seconds timeshift/skip flawlessly and not buggy/glitchy?

the only app you can name is wmc. Ppl whinge that it hasn't been updated, its a finished product lol.

DVBViewer

@@Luke

just had this response in dvbviewer from the board creator!

"Which protocols are supported by Mediabrowser? The DVBViewer Recordingservice supports SAT>IP (which is RTSP) and UPNP"

AND.... I have NO idea what that means!! lol

mentasm

I tried out nextpvr last night.

Setup was nice and easy and things looked ok initially.  Then I started getting crashes and freezes.   Shame.  Was thinking I could maybe make the switch.  I only use WMC for recording live TV these days.  Never watch it live.  Liked the idea of being able to setup recordings via a web interface.  Also found the web interface of NettPVR a little disappointing.  Is NextPVR the best alternative?

mentasm

Looks good from the wiki page,

LIkely to be able to look at the guide and set recordings in the mb3 web console any time soon?

techywarrior

Looks good from the wiki page,

LIkely to be able to look at the guide and set recordings in the mb3 web console any time soon?

It's currently in testing, so yes, relatively soon.

Yes, the developer of the XBMC plugin is working on an MB3 version and it's currently in testing.

techywarrior

So for now, I may install the backend?

The version that is available there won't currently work. There are two parts required. The ServerWMC program (you could install that version but you would need to upgrade to a version that supports MB3 later on) and the MB3 server plugin.

I don't know when the developer will feel comfortable enough with it to move it to a public beta status for other people to test it.

The newest dev builds of the MB Server support Live TV and if ServerWMC and the MB3 plugin are installed and configured you could see Live TV.

SikSlayer

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm building a new HTPC soon, so I'm a bit more 'suicidal' with my current HTPC setup, which I've been running since the release of Windows 7.

techywarrior

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm building a new HTPC soon, so I'm a bit more 'suicidal' with my current HTPC setup, which I've been running since the release of Windows 7.

One thing of note with ServerWMC. It's not a complete replacement like NextPVR. ServerWMC relies on WMC (it just creates an interface to allow XBMC, and now MB3, to be able to manipulate WMC). So on your new HTPC you would still need WMC installed for it to work.

NextPVR on the other hand won't require WMC and handles all aspects of recording and tuning.

Regardless of what backend is used MB3 will/can be the interface that you use to set recordings, view the TV guide, watch TV etc. from. So for instance, if you use NextPVR but don't like their web interface it doesn't really matter since you never have to use it.

At the moment ServerWMC is closer to being in public beta on MB3 but NextPVR is being worked on. At the moment I don't think any other backend plugins are in development (but that can change at any time)

• Like 1

SikSlayer

One thing of note with ServerWMC. It's not a complete replacement like NextPVR. ServerWMC relies on WMC (it just creates an interface to allow XBMC, and now MB3, to be able to manipulate WMC). So on your new HTPC you would still need WMC installed for it to work.

I rely on, and will continue to rely on WMC as my DVR. This is why I'm so big on MB3 using ServerWMC.

I've also been a big user of XBMC, since back when it was XBMP, and the projects before that.

I even keep MediaPortal installed and up to date, but I don't use it as much.

Either way, these recent developments have me covered, and I'm excited to try these things out soon as I can.

Edited by SikSlayer

ernstgot

is there a place to download the ServerWmc plugin for MB3 i updated to the latest Dev build but can't test the live tv functionality without it?

wally007

ServerWMC should be great.

I havent tried XBMC version ( mostly because XBMC live TV is worse than 5 year old WMC ) but given that WMC has broad range of Tuners available, Live TV is setup in seconds, free EPG or if you want more advanced EPG there are mature tool to populate it for you and also there's a support for DVBLink's Dreambox/Enigma/IPTV tuners.

Also WMC Recording runs as a service and i've yet to have missed recording due to a service crash or unavailability. Very stable.

With MB3 providing nice interface to WMC backend, I dont see why I'd want to try NextPVR. Anybody who has used it can tell us what advantages can it bring over WMC ? 

Spaceboy

as an existing user with xbmc i can confirm serverwmc is great. i still need dvblink as the back end to wmc though as wmc cannot handle encrypted signals and dvblink deals with that. it is more working parts that i would like though but it will more than suffice until someone at dvblionk sees fit to support mb3. shall not be holding my breath though....

Spaceboy

NextPVR can record multiple channels with one tuner if they are on the same mux/frequency

no good if it doesn't support decryption