live tv

dylanrellis

i don't think you guys understand. live iv is coming to the server and web client first. from there, all of our ui developers will be looking to implement it using our api, and that includes MBT, but it comes later.

• Like 3

I think people should calm down about the tv implementation it'll take a long time before it can get close to replacing wmc...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

techywarrior

I don't think it will actually take that long to replace WMC. Sven is working on the NextPVR plugin and Krusty the ServerWMC plugin. Between those two everyone who wants to watch live TV in MB3 should be able to. Technically ServerWMC isn't replacing WMC but you wouldn't need to actually launch WMC to watch live or recorded TV.

I believe Luke is working on the MBS API that will abstract the actual control of the backend so that all the MB clients can just make an API call to change channel, set a recording etc. and the plugin will translate that API call to the backend specific one.

I would hazard a guess that we may see some alpha builds show up sooner rather then later, although it would only work in the web client to start.

I am really looking forward to the day when I can use MBT and have a single unified interface for everything I want to do/watch. I don't think it will ever be able to handle everything (Hulu is a bitch since the web/desktop client has much more available content then any of their official apps) and Netflix doesn't look like they are really opening up their API to third parties anymore :( But it will be simpler then my current setup.

• Like 1

politby

Absolutely. I don't post there a lot but of course I can put in a plug for MB. Anything you want me to put extra focus on?

They are, I am sure, well aware WMC is on borrowed time and that is their main platform so I'm sure they are interested in alternatives.

Their server platform is very solid.

I know there have been posts on their forum regarding MBT but I got the impression they would want you to take the first step.

They are pretty tight lipped in general. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

politby

^ For those of us in Europe who are stuck with encrypted DVB-/S/T/C services, the only way for MBT to replace WMC is to partner with a backend that fully supports this. Such as DVBlogic.

It's basically only Germany and the U.K. which have any free-to-air available worth mentioning. The rest of us need a solution that supports CI interfaces and softcams.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

^ For those of us in Europe who are stuck with encrypted DVB-/S/T/C services, the only way for MBT to replace WMC is to partner with a backend that fully supports this. Such as DVBlogic. It's basically only Germany and the U.K. which have any free-to-air available worth mentioning. The rest of us need a solution that supports CI interfaces and softcams. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

+1

Brendon

? Live Tv will be run from the server and fed to clients aka same as everything else in MB3, this means that i am going to need a tuner that will work with WHS2011 is that correct?? Not sure if my current one will so am going to have to look into it.

wally007

DVBLink is commercial software which is very stable. Server part is rock solid and available on myriad of NAS' but their GUI front end is horrendous. Either their client ( iOS, web ) or plugins (Plex, XBMC ) are terrible to navigate and use. If anyone finds a way to hide it, behind nice GUI, it will be perfect :-) (DVBlink supports almost all DVB-S/T/C tuners )

Edited by wally007

I tried to add the dvblink guy on LinkedIn but he wasn't having it..

Spaceboy

could we not look at what dvblink did for the xbmc add-on and adapt? i would have thought the dvblink server and api seem well set up for attaching new clients but i think its unlikely you will get much help from them. unfortunately i have no skills to help

I just added my voice to that..

• Like 1

I just had a little play with nextpvr without looking up how to set it up, its not that intuitive. I'll have another play later, but first impressions dvbviewer is better for me...

you should throw out our github link too:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser

and mention that it's not just about MBT but it's about powering live tv for all of our apps, nearly 10 of them now...some of which will have no competition in their respective stores (e.g. personal media library with integrated live tv).

Well i tried again, too many counterintuitive right clicks (guessed) etc for my liking. I set up dvbviewer in half the time. I might have a look around their forums see if i can fish for devs...

When i had my motorised satellite set up i used dvbviewer a lot and it was rock solid, even sent USALS signals to the motor. It is paid software though. Was only €14 when i bought it.

Spaceboy

well i tried to place some other posts (three to be precise) over on the dvblink fourm and just got a warning off oberon for "flooding". they were well placed in threads that were relevant in an attempt to drum up some developer interest. i am not surprised by the way, this is how we dvblink "users" are treated!

• Like 1