live tv

dylanrellis

2BTSquared

I think you guys are a little confused by how this actually works. MBS will have plugins for whatever live tv backends people want to develop. At the moment the ServerWMC is the closest to being released. NextPVR is also in the works and people have reached out to other backend developers.

The MBS plugin, regardless of the backend, will allow MBS to talk to the backend and schedule programming, stream live tv, watch recording etc. All this is done via the MBS interface and relies nothing on the already existing functionality of the backends own interface. (other then initial setup)

So even tho NextPVR has it's own web interface, you don't have to use it. Same goes for built in streaming to android or other devices. If it's already built in, or will never be, it doesn't matter. MBS will be handling all that functionality.

Ultimately, if you want a plugin for a backend that isn't currently in development. Go post on that software's forum and tell them how awesome MB3 is and why they should create a plugin.

While WMC isn't going to go away at least until Win8 extended support ends (5-8 years) it may not be the best in the future... guess what, doesn't matter. You can just change backends and swap plugins and once you have resetup the new backend there will be no difference since MBS is still the interface.

This is really going to be useful for wife/kids since you can make the change and not have to reteach them how to watch tv :)

All was understood... and all are very good points... My initial questions about WMC was just my knee jerk reaction that I usually have to seeing pursuit of anything WMC.

Edited by t^2

Spaceboy

All was understood... and all are very good points... My initial questions about WMC was just my knee jerk reaction that I usually have to seeing pursuit of anything WMC.

no confusion here, i was just defending wmc

2BTSquared

no confusion here, i was just defending wmc

As an additonal note... this is why I saw MBT as being a good development for the future... It will allow MB to stand on its own (not as a WMC plugin and requiring the survival of WMC). Yes there is the web client interface... But that's not sufficient in and of itself.

To the contrary... I am a fan of WMC. It's been my primary goto for the last few years. But it's starting to look grey in the tooth and it lacks functionality that I'd like to have (serving clients etc...). Add that to the prospect of dying a slow death... and I'm off looking into alternatives.

well then do your part

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2289-live-tv/?p=59719

• Like 1

Spaceboy

:)the funny thing is i agree with you 100%.if you go back in the thread you will see my support for something called dvblink. its what a lot of european users use to get signal into wmc,partly because it gives you more flexibility, partly it has other benefits such as support for decryption of channels. (also why i'm happy i understand the arguments about back-ends, i'm already using one!)

but the chances of dvblink working with mb3 anytime soon is quite slim. they are quite lazy in terms of their development, so actually for me the serverwmc solution is an interim step also. but i also think people are predicitng the death of wmc too early. i've been using it since 2008 and all i've heard in that 6 year period is about the death of wmc. its still the best dvr available imo

This may seem a strange question, but will the EPG guide be available to people without tv tuners?

no because the data comes from the tv provider plugin.

but someone could create a dummy one that is only capable of displaying guide data and not playing or recording.

politby

^ Agree about DVBlink. It does work pretty well but I don't think they will be of any help, more likely the opposite.

For European users I think DVBviewer would be the best bet for a reliable back end.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

i can't see them doing an in house solution, the way in which we receive tv signals varies too much around the world. it will always be tie in with existing products. but using your arguments i cannot see why you put nextpvr pr mediaportal above wmc. Mediabrowser's background IS wmc so there will always be a massive overlap between the two communities. i'm guessing you're not a wmc fan though?

That was not a consideration at all. We'll use the best ones no matter what platform they're based on.

chopperno5

Luke, what do you need? I'm no dev, but I've been building media centers and home servers for about 6 years now.. Have pitched in on the dvblink forum, but as others have said, they are not the keenest bunch (read: Oberon) when it comes to plugins other than the most basic API work...

As a recent MB convert, I'm sold on the UI and the server - if there is any chance I can lose the WMC/serverWMC in the middle of dvblink and MB server I would be absolutely delighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one person?

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2289-live-tv/?p=59719

Should this just be a premium add-on feature then? Everyone has to chip in somehow.

@@Luke are you referring to back up on the tvheadend site? I've been busy with work but hopefully should av an hour or two tomorrow. I'll hit the dvbviewer site with some of the new tv screen grabs too...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

i'll support anything with dvblink but i'm not sufficiently close enough to anything else to do that i'm afraid. perhaps why targeting the backends with most users might be useful?

Hello, first post here, read a lot though.

I have been using Media Center since 2003 (was a pain getting it in Holland!) and dvblink from version 2.x and now on the latest version. Although I like dvblink for it's core functionality: serving any tv input as a virtual tuner into Media Center, I don't see it as a competitor as a backend to MBS, in my opinion there is nothing out there that can compete with wmc when it comes to the tv/dvr functionality. If you can connect your tuners directly into your wmc then wmc -> serverwmc -> mbs seems the way to go and for the more exotic tuner/iptv/sat-ip situations dvblink -> wmc -> serverwmc -> mbs seems the way to go, but that's just my idea about it.

I do share the concern others have posted here about communicating with the dvblink developers seeing how they react to problems and requests it seems like a waist of time to me.

Cheers,

Danee

mentasm

pre-coffee post....brain wasn't engaged.  I'd assume you will put most of your effort into MBT.

Recordings collection might be OK in MBC.  Personally I pick up and process all my recordings with MCEbuddy and have the ads removed, re-encode to mkv for space saving and place the output in a pre-existing Recorded TV collection which I access in MBC.

I wouldn't worry. People balk at things all the time. Then we grow, start to get more attention, and they reconsider. There's value in the initial rejection in that the seed has been planted. We have lots of projects that are going to draw interest from all different angles - linux, os x, live tv, and a few others i can't mention yet. as those hit the news i think some of those developers will reconsider.

• Like 4

Beardyname

@@Luke agreed :) there is a reason the well equipped and surprisingly fast tortoise won the race :P

As long as the project keeps getting exposure it will all turn out well!

(not that mb3 is slow, these library scans o.O they are so quick!)

Edited by plumblum

mentasm

Wouldn't a MBC client be good if you use MBC on multiple WMC machines on your network, but only have a tuner on one of the.  Always nice to dedicate a server machine for storage, recording and ad removal, but run a light weight WMC machine in the theatre, driving your TV or projector.

for mbc maybe a home page menu item for recordings might be nice so that you can watch one without leaving the app. but for live tv, wmc is right there.

you can just add your WMC recorded tv folder to your library and it will show straight up in MBC. that works now, I use it on the wp client

Wouldn't a MBC client be good if you use MBC on multiple WMC machines on your network, but only have a tuner on one of the.  Always nice to dedicate a server machine for storage, recording and ad removal, but run a light weight WMC machine in the theatre, driving your TV or projector.

Yes, possibly but it may take a while to get around to that.