live tv

dylanrellis

chef

Just a heads up to anyone who like me is designing a paid client or plugin. The standard epg that we all know and love is actually a patented technology. So if anyone is thinking about using the grid style guide where the channels column is on the left and the list scrolls... You'll need to be careful you don't infringe on this, or other patents.

http://www.google.ca/patents/US7516470

I can't believe they patented a grid and got away with it. It looks like an excel doc, for cryin' out loud.

Say I want to patent the alphabet, do you think I can get away with it?

• Like 1

Spaceboy

personally i think our understanding of the patent is incomplete. remote potato for example uses the same style epg grid for tv, does anyone believe they paid to use the patent?

chef

Perhaps our epg should look like a library view.

Is it possible to update the posters with the shows on the fly?

Brendon

personally i think our understanding of the patent is incomplete. remote potato for example uses the same style epg grid for tv, does anyone believe they paid to use the patent?

have to agree mate, patents are barely worth the paper they are printed on (are they still :P) they protect against an exact copy, but minor changes get you around it. Perfect example is the EPG, look deeper and there are several patents for similar styles going back beyond the 80's. Another good example is the struggle between Samsung and Apple, there's more politics in that fight then there is patent infringements lol and the only ones winning are lawyers.

Then think about probably the best known product in the world, it has no patents whatsoever, yet it has stayed protected for almost 100yrs, that being Coca-Cola. Why? they simply don't tell anyone how they do it.

perpetual98

I think this might be an opportune time to change the way that people think about guides.  I think you'd still need one to some extent, but perhaps coaxing people more into "subscriptions" is the future. 

For instance, I want to record every new episode of Big Bang Theory.  I do a search for it, it pops up, I click record all new episodes and I'm done.  I don't need to know what channel it's on, what night it's on, etc.

You will still need a guide to see what is on what channel when you aren't looking for something specific, but I think we will be getting away from that in the years to come.

Probably not the most eloquent way of saying what is going on in my head...

politby
well i tried to place some other posts (three to be precise) over on the dvblink fourm and just got a warning off oberon for "flooding". they were well placed in threads that were relevant in an attempt to drum up some developer interest. i am not surprised by the way, this is how we dvblink "users" are treated!

Hehe, yes they often come across that way. Mostly I think it's a language thing, they aren't native English speakers so the nuances are lost.

Gotta rub Oberon the right way. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

but neither dvbviewer or nextpvr support CI cards. only dvblink does this as far as i am aware

Dvbviewer does support ci cards. You can run hadu etc in it too but that's another discussion

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

I think this might be an opportune time to change the way that people think about guides.  I think you'd still need one to some extent, but perhaps coaxing people more into "subscriptions" is the future. 

For instance, I want to record every new episode of Big Bang Theory.  I do a search for it, it pops up, I click record all new episodes and I'm done.  I don't need to know what channel it's on, what night it's on, etc.

You will still need a guide to see what is on what channel when you aren't looking for something specific, but I think we will be getting away from that in the years to come.

Probably not the most eloquent way of saying what is going on in my head...

while i don't personally disagree with you i think that in order for live tv implementation to be a success you need the traditional style grid. my g/f, for example, would not accept a replacement for wmc that doesn't include a grid. i think that probably goes for most wifes and girlfriends and if you didn't have a profile pic of what i presume is your kids i'd be asking if you were single!  :)

lee, good info on dvbviewer, useful to know

• Like 1

Hi all, I just read through this post and others on this forum. Been using WMC + MB since WMC7 came out.

All of this seems promissing, but it feels like what you're doing is copying what WMC is already doing (with the added benefit of having this content available to all devices, which is already a big plus).

It would be nice if Live TV could somehow integrate with our own collection. Meaning that if you set a series to record, it would be nice if it didn't record episodes of that show already in our collection (for example from DVDs/blurays). And put the recorded shows in the correct directories, ready to be served out to clients.

Similarly, if we see a movie in the EPG, and it has already started, it'd be nice (if we already have it in our collection) to have an option to "Play movie from Collection".

Basically, not have Live TV separate from the MB experience. Kind of like something the Xbox One does. Search for a show: available to watch from "Collection, Netflix, Xbox Video" or "Next on ABC @ 8pm" for instance.

Just rambling ^^

Keep up the good work.

Spaceboy

i agree with everything you've said, i was saying the same to the xbmc developers for their live tv tool just yesterday.there has to be full integration of live tv recordings with the library but saying that i also want to keep the current live tv separate from my library. only 10% of what i record goes into the library and only then when i have hand cut the commercials using videoredo. i've got loads of old rubbish in my wmc recorded tv folder covering 173 series, thats almost as many series as i have in my archive. i don't want this to appear in the mb3 tvlibrary.

i prefer an approach such as this http://www.recordedtvhd.com/ does for wmc. i have it separate from mb3 because it does keep my current tv separate from the archive, its fine with the recordings in one folder as most pvr programs prefer and also integrates any files i may acquire from elsewhere

Spaceboy

also i hear you are working with the xbmc wmc.pvr plugin people.i'm currently using that for xbmc and fantastic to hear that i'll now be able to use it with mb3!

gcw07

will it work with US cable cards?

Not with encrypted channels. So far nothing will do that beyond WMC.

bloodtaker

Hopefully it will work with my hauppage i hate their web interface :( i know nextpvr works with it but knowing my luck i will break something lol

Latchmor

I'll see that 'like' and raise you a 'really like'

:)

@@Luke Where's the 'Tease' button on the forum?

;)

Edited by Latchmor
  • Like 1

But with copy freely it will?

well put it this way. if it doesn't work with copy protected, and it doesn't' work with copy freely, then what are we releasing

ernstgot

well put it this way. if it doesn't work with copy protected, and it doesn't' work with copy freely, then what are we releasing

Sorry I am such a dork, after working for a provider I am used to their terms and encrypted channels were like HBO Starz...

gcw07

Sorry I am such a dork, after working for a provider I am used to their terms and encrypted channels were like HBO Starz...

Yeah I meant any copy once channel. Really most people don't understand the terms copy once, copy freely, copy never, so easier to just say encrypted channels.