live tv

dylanrellis

with serverwmc installed for mediabrowser can you run wmc side by side. 

You actually need to have WMC installed as that's where serverwmc picks up the data and info for it to work.

ernstgot

You actually need to have WMC installed as that's where serverwmc picks up the data and info for it to work.

i understand that but can i watch tv (ceton infinitv) within both wmc and mb3?

techywarrior

Yes, just remember that you are still limited by the tuners you have. If you have 1 tuner you can't watch live tv in WMC and MB3 at the same time.

ServerWMC just creates an interface for MB3 to basically connect into the underlying management program that WMC uses as well.

Spaceboy

you believe what you hear far too much. at present wmc is not being developed but why should it be? its the perfect dvr. if mb3 can emulate wmc for live and semi live tv then it will be amazing. its part of win 8 and if anything is showing more signs of life than it has in the last 5 years

http://xboxvideo.uservoice.com/forums/225596-xbox-video-suggestion-box/suggestions/5269347-media-center-extender-support?tracking_code=a7c6481ecd5a04480b268744eebed415

Edited by Spaceboy

My question with WMC and ServerWMC would be what happens when WMC goes away. After all isn't it dying a slow death?

It has been dying a slow death for about four years now.  So, while MS has given it up for dead from a marketing and development perspective (all these 'living room' efforts have transferred to the xbox one), it will probably still be a functional solution for quite some time so there shouldn't be a problem utilizing it while it is.

2BTSquared

It has been dying a slow death for about four years now.  So, while MS has given it up for dead from a marketing and development perspective (all these 'living room' efforts have transferred to the xbox one), it will probably still be a functional solution for quite some time so there shouldn't be a problem utilizing it while it is.

Still wonder about the notion of spending a lot of effort developing something that has ether a limited short or intermediate term view with unlikely long term prospects.

I guess the upside to this is the implication that since this works with WMC it will work with Copy Once (in addition to Copy Freely) content. Would that be correct?

Edit: Otherwise I'm uncertain as to what advantage using WMC would bring to the table....

Edited by t^2

Spaceboy
Still wonder about the notion of spending a lot of effort developing something that has ether a limited short or intermediate term view with unlikely long term prospects.

I guess the upside to this is the implication that since this works with WMC it will work with Copy Once (in addition to Copy Freely) content. Would that be correct?

Edit: Otherwise I'm uncertain as to what advantage using WMC would bring to the table....

Where would you suggest the priority be?

And no, it won't work with drm'd stuff but not everyone has drm. Me for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ServerWMC is just one implementation of our Live TV.  It is just the first one we are able to provide because it was the one a developer was able to work on.  There will be others as well but I think this has a fair-sized potential market.

• Like 1

2BTSquared

Where would you suggest the priority be? And no, it won't work with drm'd stuff but not everyone has drm. Me for example Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where should the priority be? I don't know... Off the top of my head I would think that if the goal is to leverage other already developed apps to get live TV support in MB/MBT ASAP, then I would think that NextPVR and/or Mediaportal's TVServer would be the go to for this. I'd give the edge to MP for it's edge in Android/iOS device client support. NextPVR has similar efforts for both platforms, but none are ready for prime time (and may never be). nDroid transcoding is broke. Their iOS client doesn't do Live TV, and though you can get their web client to transcode, it's difficult - killing any chance of WAF survival. However, NextPVR get's a plus for it's ease of setup.

Ultimately... to have total control over implimentation and long term survivability, developing an in-house solution would probably be best....

Spaceboy

i can't see them doing an in house solution, the way in which we receive tv signals varies too much around the world. it will always be tie in with existing products. but using your arguments i cannot see why you put nextpvr pr mediaportal above wmc. Mediabrowser's background IS wmc so there will always be a massive overlap between the two communities. i'm guessing you're not a wmc fan though?

Spaceboy

That was not a consideration at all. We'll use the best ones no matter what platform they're based on.

i think you misread my post, or certainly the intention of it. not sure what you're getting at?

2BTSquared

Where should the priority be? I don't know... Off the top of my head I would think that if the goal is to leverage other already developed apps to get live TV support in MB/MBT ASAP, then I would think that NextPVR and/or Mediaportal's TVServer would be the go to for this. I'd give the edge to MP for it's edge in Android/iOS device client support. NextPVR has similar efforts for both platforms, but none are ready for prime time (and may never be). nDroid transcoding is broke. Their iOS client doesn't do Live TV, and though you can get their web client to transcode, it's difficult - killing any chance of WAF survival. However, NextPVR get's a plus for it's ease of setup.

Ultimately... to have total control over implimentation and long term survivability, developing an in-house solution would probably be best....

I guess that Android/iOS transcoding/streaming support built into MP might not be a big concern because - so far as I've seen - MB and it's Android/iOS clients do a pretty good job with this (although I haven't seen any user configurable quality settings).

2BTSquared

i can't see them doing an in house solution, the way in which we receive tv signals varies too much around the world. it will always be tie in with existing products. but using your arguments i cannot see why you put nextpvr pr mediaportal above wmc. Mediabrowser's background IS wmc so there will always be a massive overlap between the two communities. i'm guessing you're not a wmc fan though?

To the contrary... I am a fan of WMC. It's been my primary goto for the last few years. But it's starting to look grey in the tooth and it lacks functionality that I'd like to have (serving clients etc...). Add that to the prospect of dying a slow death... and I'm off looking into alternatives.

Spaceboy

it does the basics better than anything i've seen to date. let mb3 worry about the supplemental functionality, what i want is a rock solid (99.5% up time) recording service. i don't think you should underestimate the hit WAF will take for just one missed recording, i can vouch for this. WMC does that

2BTSquared

it does the basics better than anything i've seen to date. let mb3 worry about the supplemental functionality, what i want is a rock solid (99.5% up time) recording service. i don't think you should underestimate the hit WAF will take for just one missed recording, i can vouch for this. WMC does that

Absolutely right about the WAF hit potential. I'm getting killed on this front at the moment.

techywarrior

I think you guys are a little confused by how this actually works. MBS will have plugins for whatever live tv backends people want to develop. At the moment the ServerWMC is the closest to being released. NextPVR is also in the works and people have reached out to other backend developers.

The MBS plugin, regardless of the backend, will allow MBS to talk to the backend and schedule programming, stream live tv, watch recording etc. All this is done via the MBS interface and relies nothing on the already existing functionality of the backends own interface. (other then initial setup)

So even tho NextPVR has it's own web interface, you don't have to use it. Same goes for built in streaming to android or other devices. If it's already built in, or will never be, it doesn't matter. MBS will be handling all that functionality.

Ultimately, if you want a plugin for a backend that isn't currently in development. Go post on that software's forum and tell them how awesome MB3 is and why they should create a plugin.

While WMC isn't going to go away at least until Win8 extended support ends (5-8 years) it may not be the best in the future... guess what, doesn't matter. You can just change backends and swap plugins and once you have resetup the new backend there will be no difference since MBS is still the interface.

This is really going to be useful for wife/kids since you can make the change and not have to reteach them how to watch tv :)

• Like 6

gillmacca

This may seem a strange question, but will the EPG guide be available to people without tv tuners?

techywarrior

no because the data comes from the tv provider plugin.

but someone could create a dummy one that is only capable of displaying guide data and not playing or recording.

Luke, if you want to allow that maybe you should set flags in the server for canRecord, canPlayTV, etc. and then the plugins can identify their capabilities so that if there is a dummy plugin it won't display the options to record. (just a thought). The flags could default to yes since I would think all the plugins would have the capabilities to do everything except a dummy one like this. But who knows. Maybe there are some that have limitations.