live tv

dylanrellis

Spaceboy

tbf i don't do a massive amount of channel changing. wmc is a pvr after all. but yes i would say that largely the times are the same in my experience

It definitely takes a few seconds but as much as 8 is not normal. We'd probably need information about your setup in order to diagnose.

krustyreturns

Following on my last post, I'd like to request that people not post questions/bugs with serverwmc to this monster thread anymore, but use the live-tv area instead.  Its too hard for us to keep track of things here.

Mods, please consider closing this thread, to force new topics in the the livetv area..

oldschool

After the latest build, I'm not getting anything in my channels list (0|0). I can tell ServerWMC is communicating with the server, but MB3 doesn't show any channels or any listings at all.

Edited by oldschool

krustyreturns

The channel switching speed is hard to quantify, systems vary, even wmc channel switch times vary from system to system.  

However there is overhead with serverwmc, that doesn't exist in wmc.  We use the windows SBE to grab tuner output, same as wmc (most of the channel delay is here).  However we have to remux the stream to TS format before the live stream can start.  We have squeezed this remux to be as fast as possible, but its still there.  From the time the SBE starts to produce data, the remux starts about a half second to one second later depending on your setup.

Then there is whatever overhead MBS & transcoding adds on top of that.  So theoretically it can't be as fast as wmc, but hopefully its close.  Your mileage may vary.

Lastly for the newcomers, ServerWMC/MBS can work side by side with WMC.  So if you want WMC's switching speed for a channel surfing session, then us it - Serverwmc and MBS can keep running waiting for other clients.

krustyreturns

@@oldschool

Post a like to your serverwmc log after you try to view channels or the guide..

Also, please start a new thread in this LiveTv area when you do.

Edited by krustyreturns

Just wanted to say that I have been an XBMC/mythtv user for a few years, and even though I prefer linux I really dislike MythTV. So yesterday I set up a ServerWMC+MB3 backend and it was so simple it is ridiculous. My setup is as follows:

IBM x3650 running VMWare ESXi 5.0

Multiple virtual guests one of which is Win7 x64

Ceton Infinitv 4 USB

1. I installed Ceton drivers for Win7

2. Set up Windows Media Center (since I am running a VM I had to do the hack to pass the DCA).

3. Installed ServerWMC

4. Installed MB3.

Within about 30 minutes total I was watching liveTV on my web browser!! Keep in mind when I first set up my mythTV backend it took me a total of about 2 weeks and lots of headaches.

So all that to say great work! My one beef is that I really don't like depending on Win7 but beggars can't be choosers. Also I am really digging the MediaBrowser backend for streaming videos over the web and editing metadata, this was a function that XBMC has been lacking. I do however still think that the XBMC frontend is much further along. I tried the MBT client for Windows 8 and although it was pretty, it had quite a bit of lag, and HD video playback was a bit choppy.

Sorry about the rambling!

-Krys

Then give our XBMB3C client a shot and you can use Xbmc as your front-end.

Closed as per your request.

As per krustys instructions please post individual topics in the new Live TV section going forward.

It makes it easier to track issues,bugs etc for everyone concerned.

Edited by Yogi