live tv

dylanrellis

I totally agree..  I hope the transcoding is good for streaming live over the internet.

I think that will be more up to the device doing the transcoding and the quality of the internet connection. I also hope that Thecus pulls their finger out and fixes hardware transcoding, and I also hope that Synology does a DS414play, that can have direct USB tuner support. For me this is not needed, but for my customers, its a great solution for those who don't need a desktop, but want media distribution from an all all-in-1 device/software setup.

any chance dvblink are one of the other server providers you are in discussion with?

no, and we can't take on another one ourselves, but perhaps you can lobby them to build the implementation.

Redshirt

I'm not sure milli's approach was the most endearing. It would help if more users made the case for MB support with dvblink

Spaceboy

i've added my support but i don't expect any further response. they still don't actually support their own xbmc plug its.all user driven. i'm using xbmc and the server.wmc plugin at present. hopefully this can be looked at in time

I hope you guys will be able to handle in-progress recordings.  That is, play active recordings with a constantly updating length and resume appropriately.  WMC (from a networked client PC) and XBMC don't handle this very well.

I hope you guys will be able to handle in-progress recordings.  That is, play active recordings with a constantly updating length and resume appropriately.  WMC (from a networked client PC) and XBMC don't handle this very well.

I know it's a bit of a different situation since it's not all in one package but I currently use NextPVR to record some live TV and MBT as my main play back. I was recording football (OTA via NPVR) on Sunday and started watching it via MBT at about half time. Everything worked great. I had to stop and start a few times to get some things done around the house so I'm not sure if the end time was dynamically updating but things were looking good for the most part.

I know it's a bit of a different situation since it's not all in one package but I currently use NextPVR to record some live TV and MBT as my main play back. I was recording football (OTA via NPVR) on Sunday and started watching it via MBT at about half time. Everything worked great. I had to stop and start a few times to get some things done around the house so I'm not sure if the end time was dynamically updating but things were looking good for the most part.

That sounds promising.  I have a very similar typical use case.  I start recording a sporting event and start watching it after a lot of it has been recorded so that I will just about catch up to the "live" time when watching it and skipping over "stuff".  I currently use WMC playing from a shared recording drive and it plays the recording until it reaches the intial time/length when I started playing it.  I then have to be careful to notice what the original length was so when I restart I can manually skip to that time (there is no resume).  I sometimes have to repeat this several times which is pretty annoying and inconvenient.  

AndyBak

Quick question regarding LiveTV, will MBT be able to control TV turners installed on a client PC its running on opposed to those installed on system where Media browser server is installed?

Thanks.

ernstgot

Quick question regarding LiveTV, will MBT be able to control TV turners installed on a client PC its running on opposed to those installed on system where Media browser server is installed?

Thanks.

Not a developer but I am going to say no because like everything else it is dependent on the server not the local system hence "client"

I am new here and not sure how the process works but I will be happy to volunteer as an alpha tester. I am a "cord cutter" and have been using over the air HD transmissions for my TV watching using WMC for the past 4 years

AndyBak

Not a developer but I am going to say no because like everything else it is dependent on the server not the local system hence "client"

Looks like I may need to explore other options to escape the need for WMC, my home server on which MB3 runs isn't suited for installing TV tuners.

bennymac

I'd like to know if the live TV will be able to control network TV tuners? I have a hdhomerun and its been running solid in my media centre. I'd hate to have to give it up!

I'd like to know if the live TV will be able to control network TV tuners? I have a hdhomerun and its been running solid in my media centre. I'd hate to have to give it up!

I would start checking out NextPVR (http://forums.gbpvr.com/) and see if they support what you're trying to do. MBT will probably just be using all of NPVR's abilities instead of writing their own. Just a guess.

ernstgot

Looks like I may need to explore other options to escape the need for WMC, my home server on which MB3 runs isn't suited for installing TV tuners.

They make them USB also

ernstgot

I would start checking out NextPVR (http://forums.gbpvr.com/) and see if they support what you're trying to do. MBT will probably just be using all of NPVR's abilities instead of writing their own. Just a guess.

They have stated that NextPVR is the backbone so if it can do it I wouldn't be surprised if MBT be able to do it.

ernstgot

would there be any way for Padding to be set in minutes instead of seconds.  Will the "recordings" have a screenshot of the show?  Last but not least for channel can we set it to the # instead of the call sign?  Hows the guide looking, I know there have been troubles with the design of it.

Is ARGUSTV still being looked at as a TV backend?  I have had that setup before, works good, and it is just a tv recording engine, nothing more.

I have not setup NextPVR yet, but just from first glance, it appears that it is a full media browser software, which we will only use for the tv recording portion.

This is not intended as a criticism or negative in any way. If NextPVR is the only solution in the shortterm, then I will fully embrace it and get it installed and running ASAP. 

I am excited that live tv is on the way and just wondering what the future holds.

Is ARGUSTV still being looked at as a TV backend?  I have had that setup before, works good, and it is just a tv recording engine, nothing more.

I have not setup NextPVR yet, but just from first glance, it appears that it is a full media browser software, which we will only use for the tv recording portion.

This is not intended as a criticism or negative in any way. If NextPVR is the only solution in the shortterm, then I will fully embrace it and get it installed and running ASAP. 

I am excited that live tv is on the way and just wondering what the future holds.

We will have two back ends. NextPvr, and another one that we have not yet announced. Argus is not included though, but we are looking for a developer. Please post in the argums forums about it and you might be able to attract someone.

• Like 1