Emby TV CLUB

CBers

thefirstofthe300

J. Michael Straczynski is well-known for taking his time to establish the settings and characters in his stories. His shows, and even his movies, tend to be something more of a slow burn, especially at the beginning. However, once they get going, the momentum just keeps building all the way through the ending. Having taken the time to fill the viewers in on everything they needed to know up front, he doesn't have the typical pauses that let viewers "catch up" while things are explained. I like most of his stuff, but his style is certainly not for everyone, which is one of the reasons he left television for so many years. For the most part networks/studios don't buy into his plans.

I just watched Sense8. I really enjoyed it. But yes, the first episode was extremely slow (introducing 8 "main" characters) and the second one, though it picked up, was also a bit sluggish. Things started to pick up in 3 though, and then, true to his form, once the narrative started picking up steam, it just kept piling on.

I watched the first episode and was pretty bored. Based on what I have seen from him in Babylon 5 I can totally believe that things will pick up a bit later in the series. I am just too hooked on Suits at the moment to get around to it... :D

• Like 1

chef

Mr. Robot is really really good. I can't wait for episode two.

The foreshadowing in episode one is brilliant!

• Like 2

jluce50

Where are you looking?

I've just done a manual search in Sonarr and got loads of results back.

I just tried a manual search this morning and got a bunch of results. Weird...

• Like 1

CBers

I just tried a manual search this morning and got a bunch of results. Weird...

After all that trouble, I hope you like it :)

CBers

Great first episode. Rebecca Front is very scary nurse!

It reminds me a bit like Autómata.

Macburp

What do people think of the second series of Halt and Catch Fire? It's moving a bit slower than the first series, and the main characters have not shared much screen time  - yet to see the conflict in the series, hope it speeds up a little soon.

CBers

I think H&CF has evolved into a better series in season 2. I think it's about to pick up again after Joe's job changes in the latest episode.

Dark Matter was a good opening episode, with a bit of an obvious twist at the end.

Hopefully it'll get better.

Edited by CBers

DigiTM

Well... Game of Thrones is over, so is Silicon Valley.... until next year HBO!  :unsure:

Why are the great shows so short?  10 episodes go so quick :( Meanwhile some really bad shows go for like 23 episodes

Edited by DigiTM

swhitmore

So I watched Dark Matter last night, and it was... 'ok'. I must say that I was a little disappointed, but maybe because I hyped myself up for it a little. I'll definitely keep watching it though. I'm a sucker for scifi.

fantaxp7

Well... Game of Thrones is over, so is Silicon Valley.... until next year HBO!  :unsure:

True Detective is back soon, if you're into that. 

politby

So I watched Dark Matter last night, and it was... 'ok'. I must say that I was a little disappointed, but maybe because I hyped myself up for it a little. I'll definitely keep watching it though. I'm a sucker for scifi.

I just suffered through 10 minutes of the first episode. What utter crap. Yet another one of those "let's grab as many weapons as we can, bring out our macho attitudes and start competing for leadership of the tribe" shows.

The prospect of this continuing in the environment of a mining colony conjures up an image of even more sweaty machos running around in the darkness wielding guns and making guttural sounds.

I cannot recall anything ever turning me off this fast.

Stop, delete, cancel series recording. [emoji58]

Edited by politby
  • Like 1

fantaxp7

Anyone watch True Detective season 2 yet?

I have mixed feelings on the first episode. I don't expect it to be as good as season 1 given the cast is comparatively B list. I do like Colin Farrel as an actor even though he doesn't seem to ever catch a break or ever seem to have a break out role. 

• 2 weeks later...
MrWebsmith

ebr,

looks like a place that dexter couldve tracked a victim too....?

• Like 2

Bloodline? 

ding, ding, ding.

Headquarters/front business for the "bad guy".

Latchmor

ding, ding, ding.

Headquarters/front business for the "bad guy".

Lol, I wasn't sure. I watched ?? eps a while ago and haven't got round to watching the rest yet  :)

Many of the locations they use are actually in the Key Largo area but this bait shop is in Islamorada and right next to my favorite spot down there (Lorelei) so I recognized it immediately.

They also film in Mangrove Mikes (a great local breakfast and lunch diner) and the Whistle Stop (a local bar).  Been to Mangrove Mikes a lot but never the Whistle Stop (I'm always with my kids down there).

I tried to go see the hotel they use as the "Rayburn House" which is also in Islamorada right next to the Cheeca Lodge but it is a private resort and was gated off and pretty secluded so I didn't go wandering on foot just to get a picture.

• Like 2

vileboy

Three episodes in and it's still good.

Very intriguing and mysterious.

Definitely worth a watch.

I concur its really watchable and has loads of people from the cast of Utopia.  That said CH4 will wait till it gets good then axe it because they need the money for a crappy documentary about how poor people are responsible for global warming because of their smoking and fake tans.