Emby TV CLUB

CBers

CBers

Following on my @@Cheesegeezer's MediaBrowser FILM CLUB thread, I thought I'd start a TV Club thread.

I'll copy Mr Cheese's rules, as they will apply here also.

RULES:

1. THERE IS NO TV CLUB

2. NO SPOILERS

3. GIVE OVERALL EXPERIENCE FELT ABOUT THE TV SHOW (how it made you feel)

4. YOU MAY GIVE COMPARISONS TO OTHER TV SHOWS

5. YOU CAN GIVE THE TYPE OF MOOD YOU CAN BE IN TO WATCH THIS PARTICULAR TV SHOW

6. NO SPOILERS

7. GIVE A SCORE OUT OF 10

8. PERHAPS SUPPLY ANY IMDB, TVDB OR OTHER SITE'S LINK TO THE TV SHOW.

Thanks for joining.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 5

CBers

OK, first up ASCENSION.

This is a Sci-Fi mini-series, that was on towards the end of December 2014.

It is set in the 1950's and follows "a covert century-long mission to populate a new world".

I thought it would be interesting to see how they would make a space-flight based on 1950's technology.

My wife and I watched all 3 episodes back-to-back, and it was a good try, but a bit of a let-down from my point of view at the end of episode 1, but the end of episode 3 made up for it.

7/10

Anyway, hopefully more people will join in and let other people know what they're watching currently.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 3

shaefurr

Galavant

So this show is a medieval musical comedy, its been compared to monty python and such, which I can sort of see, its the same type of genre I guess.

Anyway my wife and I just love it, I think this is one of those shows where you either love it or hate it. The songs are catchy and funny, and I really enjoy the humorous character interaction. If you like musicals give this one a try. They're airing 2 episodes each week for the trial run, so technically there's 40ish minutes of it to watch each week.

9/10

• Like 2

ginjaninja

Galavant

So this show is a medieval musical comedy, its been compared to monty python and such, which I can sort of see, its the same type of genre I guess.

Anyway my wife and I just love it, I think this is one of those shows where you either love it or hate it. The songs are catchy and funny, and I really enjoy the humorous character interaction. If you like musicals give this one a try. They're airing 2 episodes each week for the trial run, so technically there's 40ish minutes of it to watch each week.

9/10

If you like musical comedy..you should try out "flight of the conchords"..quirky new zealand? Humour..
  • Like 2

Swynol

One of my favourite TV shows at the moment has to be Chicago Fire. Only recently found out about this show which is in its third season. I watched the first 2 seasons in about a week i was that hooked on it. Its nice to see a TV show that focuses alot on the characters rather than crazy special effects or other gimmicks. 

Second half of season 3 has just started. There is also a spin off series called Chicago PD (Police) which sees some of the characters and plots cross over which is interesting to see. It also crosses over with Law and Order: Special Victims unit. 

Chicago Fire - 9/10

Chicago PD - 8/10

CBers

I watched the first season of Chicago Fire and started the 2nd season, but I got bored with it.

I haven't watched Chicago PD.

ginjaninja

Any matt berry fans out there...or just who like light quirky comedy with a bit of music..should definitely give "toast of london" a go..great stuff..plus it has a nice theme tune which always wins me over.. (written by matt berry)..

"Hello Steven,its Clem Fandango.........can you hear me?"

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I just watched Fargo Season One.

AMAZING

Just a bloody brilliant first season.

Crisis is next on the list, a lot of good reviews bout it so looking forward to this one.

• Like 4

CBers

Crisis is next on the list, a lot of good reviews bout it so looking forward to this one.

I watched CRISIS last year - was OK, a bit slow in places.

Some good twists though ;)

ginjaninja

Galavant

9/10

Thanks for recommendation, wife and i tried first two episodes...not too sure :-)...will persevere with the next two....

going to give Fargo and Crisis a go...

CBers

If you want a bit of British comedy/drama/murder-mystery, try DEATH IN PARADISE.

Currently on its 4th season.

Paradise is the Caribbean.

10/10

Edited by CBers

Yikes! I am going to mention "Arrow".

It is "soapy" at time but season one was just great! He actually kills bad guys! Like a poor mans Batman.

Then I watched the Flash....

The problem is that when you start a series from the beginning it is hard not to want to know what happens next... And The Flash is now in my library... Dammit!

I really enjoyed watch True Detective.

By far one of the best since Sapranos and The Wire from HBO.

• Like 2

ginjaninja

Yikes! I am going to mention "Arrow".

facepalm.gif

:) and ive watched ALOT of shit TV, agree season 1 did show promise, and now i just keep watching like an embarrassed lemming  :)

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

facepalm.gif

:) and ive watched ALOT of shit TV, agree season 1 did show promise, and now i just keep watching like an embarrassed lemming :)

They did feature Raz alGul, who for an old comic guy like me is pretty great. But then I remind myself: "it's Arrow man... C'mon..." ;)

pt1xoom

If you want a bit of British comedy/drama/murder-mystery, try DEATH IN PARADISE.

Currently on its 4th season.

Paradise is the Caribbean.

10/10

I will check it out.  Thanks.  This looks good.

There is also a show called Power that is on Showtime.  This is very good.

ginjaninja

I just watched Fargo Season One.

AMAZING

Just a bloody brilliant first season.

+1, thanks for this recommendation

I love The Fall.  I'll have to check out Luther.

If you like those, you should check out Broadchurch as well (and not the crappy re-make attempted in the US this year).

• Like 3