Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Guest asrequested

Any of you guys see Godzilla: King of the Monsters? I thought it was really good. Modern day tech paying homage to the original flavor of the movie. The best creature feature I have seen in a very long time. I'm anxiously awaiting the release in 4K HDR. 

adamstewiegreen

I saw it and thought it was good. Great FX but they try to fit too much into the movie. Shin Godzilla (the new Japanese Godzilla movie) is good as well, takes a different approach to creature features.

adamstewiegreen

Oh, and I'll add that the new Criterion #1000 is the complete original Godzilla collection (something like 15 movies), it looks amazing!

• 3 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

Recently I've seen: Once upon a Time in Hollywood, Clovehitch Killer, Brightburn, Touki Bouki, Yesterday, Alita and Apocalypto.

Loved:

Apocalypto

Once upon a Time in Hollywood

Liked:

Clovehitch Killer

Touki Bouki

Disappointed with:

Brightburn

Alita

It worked out pretty evenly.  Brightburn was the most disappointing because the premise alone made it (in my mind) a must see.  Unfortunately the terrible character development and rushed plot completely ruined the movie for me.  Alita was actually the exact opposite, trying to cram WAY WAY WAY too much into a single movie to make it "epic" - I heard people praising it for its "world building" but if you want to see spectacular "world building" look no further than Apocalypto which didn't rely on character exposition in order to explain everything, it just showed it.

And Once upon a Time in Hollywood is classic QT - if you don't like his movies, you won't like this one.

I came to Clovehitch Killer thinking it would be a 'whodoneit" but it turned into a rather good thriller that didn't rely on hiding the killer, but keeping him in full sight leaving us to guess how much he knew what others knew.

And lastly, if you can find Touki Bouki I'd suggest watching it, I found it hard to follow but it's interesting nonetheless (it's on criterionchannel.com)

Guest asrequested

That's interesting. I'm in opposition to that. I can't stand Tarantino movies. Extremely overrated (haven't seen Once Upon a Time...). I love Alita. I have the original anime, and I feel that they captured its essence very well. The quirky characters and their behavior. But I like the difference of perceptions between viewers :)

• Like 2

mediacowboy

Okay what the heck with brightburn? I love some dark comic's but all I keep thinking is I am was watching an extremely twisted version of superman. Anyone else feel this way?

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

Lol... I'm actively avoiding watching Brightburn. It screams cheese. The concept seems silly. Just made to make a little money.

mediacowboy

Lol... I'm actively avoiding watching Brightburn. It screams cheese. The concept seems silly. Just made to make a little money.

I've made it half way and I think I'm done.

adamstewiegreen

I've made it half way and I think I'm done.

Yeah, it had some serious b-movie moments. I liked the idea of exploring an evil superman, but it was done terribly.

shaefurr

I watched it and thought it was ok, then watched The Boys on amazon, was so much better lol.

Guest asrequested

I watched it and thought it was ok, then watched The Boys on amazon, was so much better lol.

The Boys is/are good. I haven't finished it, yet.

adamstewiegreen

Two great movies:

Where is My Friends House? - dir. Abbas Kiarostami (Taste of Cherry, Certified Copy)

Polytechnique - dir Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Enemy, Blade Runner 2049)

WilhelmStroker

Over the past few weeks:

Wild Zero - Japanese band Guitar Wolf fights zombies. Highly entertaining
The gangster, the cop, the devil - South Korean crime thriller. 2 hours of fun.
Near Dark - Vampire western with a great cast. Released in the same year as Lost Boys, but less popular. 
Tourist Trap - Teens' car breaks down, they go into a house nearby, and it's full of very creepy mannequins. Cheesy horror.
Easy Rider - Rewatched this because of Peter Fonda's death. Definitely of its time, enjoyed the music but didn't really think much of it.
Lady Snowblood - Japanese vengeance movie, heavily inspired Kill Bill. Loved this.
Chopping Mall - The tag line is it'll cost you an arm and a leg....Cheesy eighties horror movie about a robot security system malfunctioning. Cheese.
Decoder - A burger shop employee discovers that by changing the background music from pleasantly calming to industrial "noise" music, he can incite riots and a revolution against the looming power of the government. Has members of Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle and William S. Burroughs in it. And soundtrack by Soft Cell. Basically an Eighties industrial music movie. I grew up on that so really enjoyed this.

BillOatman

Over the past few weeks:

Wild Zero - Japanese band Guitar Wolf fights zombies. Highly entertaining
The gangster, the cop, the devil - South Korean crime thriller. 2 hours of fun.
Near Dark - Vampire western with a great cast. Released in the same year as Lost Boys, but less popular. 
Tourist Trap - Teens' car breaks down, they go into a house nearby, and it's full of very creepy mannequins. Cheesy horror.
Easy Rider - Rewatched this because of Peter Fonda's death. Definitely of its time, enjoyed the music but didn't really think much of it.
Lady Snowblood - Japanese vengeance movie, heavily inspired Kill Bill. Loved this.
Chopping Mall - The tag line is it'll cost you an arm and a leg....Cheesy eighties horror movie about a robot security system malfunctioning. Cheese.
Decoder - A burger shop employee discovers that by changing the background music from pleasantly calming to industrial "noise" music, he can incite riots and a revolution against the looming power of the government. Has members of Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle and William S. Burroughs in it. And soundtrack by Soft Cell. Basically an Eighties industrial music movie. I grew up on that so really enjoyed this.

Lady Snowblood is in Japanese with subtitles?

WilhelmStroker

Lady Snowblood is in Japanese with subtitles?

Yup it is. Great movie. There's a second one too but while good it's not as good as the first one.

• Like 1

adamstewiegreen

Lady Snowblood is great. It was part of the inspiration for Kill Bill.

I've heard that same complaint about easy rider numerous times, I haven't heard many people who really like the movie (which is why I haven't seen it yet)

Based on Lady Snowblood and what else you watch I'd suggest Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

Ah nice, yup that looks right up my street. Blind Woman's curse was a bit earlier but also with the same actress. And also very good. 

adamstewiegreen

Ah nice, yup that looks right up my street. Blind Woman's curse was a bit earlier but also with the same actress. And also very good. 

And Mandy w/ Nic Cage.  It's Cage at his best!

WilhelmStroker

That looks very cheesy! 

I watched:

Satanic Panic. Entertaining horror comedy with Rebecca Romeijn.

The Dead don't die. I'm a Jarmusch fan but this was not very exciting or funny. Felt flat to me. Unlike...

Only Lovers Left Alive. Much more interesting, very atmospheric and a great soundtrack. 

adamstewiegreen

Watched Training Day and Dark Phoenix recently.

Training Day is so good.  Washington and Hawke are superb actors and compliment each other really well.  Dre and Snoop are also good additions.

Dark Phoenix.  Oh boy, this is much worse than I expected.  With the exception of MacAvoy (maybe Turner and Fassbinder too), the performances are all phoned in.  Lawrence and Chastain are so bad that if they weren't already superstars this movie could have been disastrous for their careers (although, Chastain's may be more about direction than acting).

Guest asrequested

You really like McCoy? Really??? I agree with you about Dark Phoenix. My buddy and I totally ripped it apart. McCoy... really, though? Personally, I think he ruins everything he appears in. But I guess there must be enough people that like him. It's like Mark Wallyburger. I have no idea why he's so successful... Oh wait! The girlies like him... I keep forgetting about 'popularity', it doesn't equate to quality.

As for Training Day... Well, it's Denzel. Is there anything else we need to know? :)

adamstewiegreen

I think MacAvoy is a more than decent actor (I've been avoiding Glass though). I put Walhburg with the likes of knoxville and reeves, they're more entertainers than actors. Which is fine (I love the John Wick series, and - the first - Jackass), just don't go to a Walhburg/Knoxville/Reeves movie expecting Daniel Day Lewis.