Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

ScottIsAFool

50 Shades.

That started off as fan fiction for twilight, so that doesn't count, falls under the same shitty umbrella ;)

jhevener

@@Abobader

Not a movie, but The Three Musketeers (2014-) TV Series has lots of sword fighting. I've certainly enjoyed the show which is a well done production full of action, loaded with a bevy of beauties, great costume and set design and pretty decent acting. Ryan Gage (Alfrid from the last two Hobbit movies) plays a great role of King Louis to boot.

Another favorite, again not a movie, is Black Sails (2014-). Great swashbuckling entertainment! 

• Like 2

dark_slayer

Saw   Exodus: Gods and Kings last night.

Save yourself from wasting two and a half hours... it was an utter snoozefest.  I can't quite tell if it was actually seriously telling a biblical story or simply mocking it. The two leads  were dreadful, some of the worst acting I've seen from either. The other so called big name actors in this.. namely Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley had barely more than a few words in the entire thing.... and the depiction of god was so stupid.

In fact... everytime  God was on screen talking... I kept hearing the voice of Ultron talking to the Kree Ronin from Guardians of the Galaxy... I just heard the words Your demeanor is that of a pouty child and you bore me  running through my head every time.

3/10... It does have one positive... It's better than last years laugh fest that was Noah and is actually still a better love story than Twilight.

Hmm, I just got it but haven't seen it yet, Thanks for the critique, but I have to ask are you familiar with scripture?

I have been hoping they would start doing Biblical epics. Heston's 10 Commandments has been such a mainstay because it wasn't simply Biblical, it was epic. Ben Hur style epic, and it has lasted for decades because of it. The same way I think LOTR will and other well done epics. Noah "seemed" like it could have been just that on the surface, but it was intended to be a blockbuster without the accuracy they had in 10 Commandments. Then there were films like The Passion and Jesus which were very accurate but not epic (blockbuster type budgets and actors/crew)

There are so many stories that I hope get the epic treatment for two reasons. One being that it seems to be one of the last few way for a lot of people to be familiar with something, and the other reason being that hollywood seems to be running out of great stories and there are many that I know that I've never seen on the big screen. Moses and Noah were only a couple of many. There is Daniel, Samuel, Joseph, Paul. I would love to see that series come to life in epic fashion

@@Abobader

Not a movie, but The Three Musketeers (2014-) TV Series has lots of sword fighting. I've certainly enjoyed the show which is a well done production full of action, loaded with a bevy of beauties, great costume and set design and pretty decent acting. Ryan Gage (Alfrid from the last two Hobbit movies) plays a great role of King Louis to boot.

Another favorite, again not a movie, is Black Sails (2014-). Great swashbuckling entertainment! 

Many thanks buddy, I will search these, well done.

• Like 1

Heckler

I can vouch for Black Sails... excellent show and now almost at the end of it's second season. Although I am only 2 eps into S2 so far.  It started out the same way GoT and Spartacus did... plenty of TnA with a fair amount of frontal nudity thrown in. But they've reduced the nudity a lot now.

Whilst there is plenty of action, it's more about intrigue, deception... think of it like a chess game with players each making their moves with the viewer none the wiser of the long game... then throw in some action and some titties and you got a great drama heavy action series.

Not seen The Muskateers yet, but it's on the list to be watched... Fridays on BBC 1 I believe, also in it's second series... and if the BBC sticks to it's usual stupid behaviour, they'll cancel it soon after season 2 ends like they've done with Atlantis.... So they can develop new shows... But then they stick the same old crap like Waterloo road on for 10 years.  The BBC are becoming the new FOX for cancelling good shows with great viewing figures... What's next... Top Gear gone from our screens.... Oh... wait...   :)

• Like 2

Hmm, I just got it but haven't seen it yet, Thanks for the critique, but I have to ask are you familiar with scripture?

I have been hoping they would start doing Biblical epics. Heston's 10 Commandments has been such a mainstay because it wasn't simply Biblical, it was epic. Ben Hur style epic, and it has lasted for decades because of it. The same way I think LOTR will and other well done epics. Noah "seemed" like it could have been just that on the surface, but it was intended to be a blockbuster without the accuracy they had in 10 Commandments. Then there were films like The Passion and Jesus which were very accurate but not epic (blockbuster type budgets and actors/crew)

There are so many stories that I hope get the epic treatment for two reasons. One being that it seems to be one of the last few way for a lot of people to be familiar with something, and the other reason being that hollywood seems to be running out of great stories and there are many that I know that I've never seen on the big screen. Moses and Noah were only a couple of many. There is Daniel, Samuel, Joseph, Paul. I would love to see that series come to life in epic fashion

Yes, "The Ten Commandments" is epic.  This new movie is trying to be and fails miserably (IMO).

• Like 1

jhevener

I can vouch for Black Sails... excellent show and now almost at the end of it's second season. Although I am only 2 eps into S2 so far.  It started out the same way GoT and Spartacus did... plenty of TnA with a fair amount of frontal nudity thrown in. But they've reduced the nudity a lot now.

Whilst there is plenty of action, it's more about intrigue, deception... think of it like a chess game with players each making their moves with the viewer none the wiser of the long game... then throw in some action and some titties and you got a great drama heavy action series.

Not seen The Muskateers yet, but it's on the list to be watched... Fridays on BBC 1 I believe, also in it's second series... and if the BBC sticks to it's usual stupid behaviour, they'll cancel it soon after season 2 ends like they've done with Atlantis.... So they can develop new shows... But then they stick the same old crap like Waterloo road on for 10 years.  The BBC are becoming the new FOX for cancelling good shows with great viewing figures... What's next... Top Gear gone from our screens.... Oh... wait...   :)

@@Heckler I'm caught up on Black Sails and I can assure you there is plenty of TnA to come! ;) I just love the show's intro too... one of the best IMHO. I'm wondering if that sculpture is 3D printed.

The Three Musketeers is a coproduction of BBC Amerca and BBC1. Hopefully the production costs and lack of any marketing in the US don't sink the show. I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for it here in the Boston area. It's scoring a 7.8 with over 14,000 votes on IMDB but that doesn't mean it will stick around.

• Like 1

Heckler

I really don't want to get into a discussion about religious texts... because some one will usually just end up offended.   :)

Whether the film sticks closely to the alleged events or not is irrelevant though, it's a film.  My views are based entirely upon the telling of the story, the quality of the writing, the performances of the cast, the visuals, lighting, cinematography and musical score.

In that regard... it utterly fails to impress on any level.  The writing is dull, the acting is poor to mediocre at best, the visuals in some scenes are impressive and in others dreadful the musical score was so unforgettable that I couldn't hum a single piece of it just 2-3 days later.... The entire thing was dull, boring and did nothing to engage the viewer in anyway.

It's just a bad movie,

dark_slayer

Wasnt looking to debate it, just want to gain insight and share opinions. When it comes to biblical movies there are always two camps. Those who yearn for it's accuracy and then those that just want to see a great movie. I've been hoping for a movie that appeases both camps in epic fashion. Hasn't been done in a while. And I'd expect if Exodus had done it then there would have been a lot more fanfare around it's theatrical release

• Like 1

Heckler

On the positive side... Exodus is better than Noah.

The Ten Commandments is probably one of the best biblical epics ever made.

dark_slayer

Saw Tammy this past weekend and Penguins of Madagascar

Tammy - "for the wife" movie

2.5/5 for me. I had plenty to laugh at with Melissa McC as usual, because I do find her comedic style very funny. I also thought the grandma role was well cast with Susan S. The manager role was very funny also. I guess I'm a little let down expecting to get the same enjoyment I got from The Heat with a different cast and plot. Overall for me I ended up feeling like I was watching something of a cross between Thelma & Louise and The Heat, but far less tenacious than either of those. The hallmark effect was in full swing, and I might just be a little tired of that. Melissa McC's comedic brand is also starting to approach being overdone for me like Sandler/Ferrell. It's something I will tire of soon, but for now it still makes me genuinely laugh

Penguins of Madagascar - for me :D

3/5 - this is probably the lowest I've ever rated any major recent animated films, especially compared to the madagascar trilogy which I absolutely love. The penguins were funny in the main series, but the brunt of the show could rely on Stiller, Rock, and Cohen. When they are all taken out of the picture, there isn't that much to go on. Honestly I think a Lemur prequel with Mort, King Julian, and Maurice would have been much funnier just because there are three seriously funny talents mixed in that story line. When you think about the Penguins story it becomes clear that the brunt of the comedy has to come from the skipper with very little relief from rico or kowalski. A lot of the story ended up centering on private because really he was the only character that had much room for development. They had to pull too much to make a feature length film, this would have been better if they had made a short film because at that length it could have remained funny and not end up feeling like you were just waiting for the credits so you could stop

:( sigh, better luck next weekend

• Like 1

Heckler
Penguins of Madagascar - for me

3/5 - this is probably the lowest I've ever rated any major recent animated films, especially compared to the madagascar trilogy which I absolutely love. The penguins were funny in the main series, but the brunt of the show could rely on Stiller, Rock, and Cohen. When they are all taken out of the picture, there isn't that much to go on. Honestly I think a Lemur prequel with Mort, King Julian, and Maurice would have been much funnier just because there are three seriously funny talents mixed in that story line. When you think about the Penguins story it becomes clear that the brunt of the comedy has to come from the skipper with very little relief from rico or kowalski. A lot of the story ended up centering on private because really he was the only character that had much room for development. They had to pull too much to make a feature length film, this would have been better if they had made a short film because at that length it could have remained funny and not end up feeling like you were just waiting for the credits so you could stop

I had the same opinion of this film... I loved them in the Madagascar movies... which I hated the main characters... IMO the Penguins made those movies bearable. But I was very disappointed with their own movie. As for the Lemurs... uuuuggghhh... I cannot stand Sachsa Baron Coehn, he's the least funny person I think I've seen on tv or in movies... I rate him lower than I do Ricky Gervais.

It also makes me question my hopes for the Minions movie later this year..... Now I love the minions, they are the best thing ever to come from an animated movie and I so want their movie to be epic... But I fear it will be a one trick pony like Penguins was.

Heckler

I watched Interstellar last night.

Now I must admit that I watched a crappy download of it around xmas time because I have some health issues and was unable to even contemplate going to the cinema for 4-5hrs inc travel... and it left me disappointed. I'm a huge Nolan fan, he does some of the most intelligent work within the sci-fi genre I think.

So when I watched it last night, it was with a fresh set of eyes, and a nice HD version on a big screen TV...Some parts of it make me think more highly of it, but there are still many aspects that leave me disappointed. The first time I saw it, I had this nagging feeling that the film reminded me of something and I couldn't put my finger on it at first... Then it hit me... 1997, Contact (also starring McConaughey).  The  plot have very similar themes, the pacing of the movies is almost identical, the conclusion/reveal followed a similar path and the unresolved ending mirrors it too.

The visuals were mostly impressive... except for that one camera angle Nolan insisted on using for all external shots of the ship moving through the air... that repeated use of the same shot over and over again annoyed me far more than I expected.

So whilst it has gone up a couple of points... I still don't think of it as a great film. I'd recommend Contact over this one every time.

dark_slayer

I watched Interstellar last night.

I'm a huge Nolan fan, he does some of the most intelligent work within the sci-fi genre I think

The visuals were mostly impressive... except for that one camera angle Nolan insisted on using for all external shots of the ship moving through the air... that repeated use of the same shot over and over again annoyed me far more than I expected.

So whilst it has gone up a couple of points... I still don't think of it as a great film. I'd recommend Contact over this one every time.

Watched it in the imax. My brother in law and cousin loved it. However, I thought it was quite poor, and I'm also a huge Nolan fan

I personally thought of this movie as a cross between the sci-fi of "Event Horizon" with the cinematography of "2001: A Space Odyssey" (minus the decently catching score that Kubrick's film had)

The visuals were just so poor in my opinion with the only redeemers being some of the worlds. On visuals alone, Gravity would be a much better film IMO (though that movie has very little else to offer ;) ). The experience felt a lot like a retro-cinema experience visually, just not up to snuff compared with the visuals in Nolan's other recent work like the dark knight trilogy or inception

For me the only thing more unbearable than the visuals was the score/soundtrack

The only redeemer for the movie in my opinion was (not really a spoiler, but I'll be extra nice so highlight if you want to read) [the depiction of 4th dimension reality], and it's timing couldn't have been better letting me leave the theater without udder disdain

I'll probably still pick up the imax edition blu-ray since enough of my family will enjoy it

Edited by dark_slayer

CBers

I cannot stand Sachsa Baron Coehn, he's the least funny person I think I've seen on tv or in movies... I rate him lower than I do Ricky Gervais.

:D

I can't stand RG either, which I think has been discussed here before, so that is low praise indeed!

• Like 1

abzahri.abazizis

I managed to installed and start using Emby and I love it. I have paypalled some credits to show my appreciation.. thank you guys.

Edited by abzahri.abazizis
  • Like 1

ScottIsAFool

For me the only thing more unbearable than the visuals was the score/soundtrack

Really? I thought it was a really good entry in Zimmer's recent OST outings, a really atmospheric soundtrack.

spootdev

The Ten Commandments is probably one of the best biblical epics ever made.

Ayep.....I am as anti-religion as you can get.  That being said, I still go back and rewatch The Ten Commandments now and then.

dark_slayer

Really? I thought it was a really good entry in Zimmer's recent OST outings, a really atmospheric soundtrack.

Really really. It was very bleak to me, and a total failed attempt at creating a recognizable catchy score that people will enjoy. In fairness a lot of movie try this approach and few succeed. Some successes in my opinion were 2001:ASO, Harry Potter, LOTR, PotC, and even that stinking adagio in D that everyone has been pulling from these days (starting with Sunshine I believe, followed by Kick-Ass and a few others . .. It makes for some powerful scenes)

I think if they were really going for some retro effect then making Matt M's character into a classic rock or classic pop fan would have worked (like Winchester from Supernatural or StarLord from Guardians). Using proven retro hits makes for a fun soundtrack. If they just wanted to stay away from the soundtrack side and more towards the original score side like they did then some more silence and space noises would have been more engaging than what they came up with

As always, just my opinion, but compare it to other epic original scores like Jurassic park, Potter, PotC, etc in a 20s name that tune game 10yrs from now and nobody will guess Interstellar's.

It doesn't have to be catchy to be good, but I so think it helps. Even if they avoided overly catchy something like the Prometheus and lesser-known Star Trek exploration tunes would have fit very well for the film

They basically just picked something I hated. It killed the movie for me. That and most of the film filled with poor visuals with only a few sprinkles of interesting sci fi and some superbly done visuals to redeem

ScottIsAFool

I think you might possibly be missing the point of a soundtrack... It's not there to be a catchy theme tune, it's there add to the scene!

Cheesegeezer

Well, i watched interstella last night and have to say.... OMG.. Its a brain teaser, brilliant and so well acted... EPIC!! Its one of those movies you can watch over and over and still be mentally stimulated.

Mr. Nolan you truely are a legend!!

• Like 1

ginjaninja

I was disappointed by interstellar..i felt it could have been epic..seemed to me when they stayed away from the 'action' it was much better....it felt like some big head had come in and said" we need more action"...and it was shoe horned in....

jhevener

Well, i watched interstella last night and have to say.... OMG.. Its a brain teaser, brilliant and so well acted... EPIC!! Its one of those movies you can watch over and over and still be mentally stimulated.

Mr. Nolan you truely are a legend!!

This is one movie I really wanted to see at the theatre but I missed the IMAX showing. I'm planning on watching the 1080p version this weekend but I really have to get a 65" or 70" display. My 3D Panny 50" is going into the bedroom as soon as I find a great deal on a 65/70" 4K LED.

Heckler

This is one movie I really wanted to see at the theatre but I missed the IMAX showing. I'm planning on watching the 1080p version this weekend but I really have to get a 65" or 70" display. My 3D Panny 50" is going into the bedroom as soon as I find a great deal on a 65/70" 4K LED.

and here I am watching it on a 40" Samsung series 6 LED and thinking it looks great. But then again it is in my bedroom and I'm not that far away from it... about 2.5 meters. A bigger TV only makes sense if you've got a bigger room for it.