Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Heckler

Rewatched Thor: The Dark World the other day.

I enjoyed it just as much as the other half a dozen times I've seen it.   :)

I don't know what it is about the MCU, but they've managed to create something that not only has a universal appeal. They've also managed to find the perfect actors for the roles and aside from a few slightly weaker movies (but still better than most other films of the genre) there isn't really a bad film amongst them.

I find myself watching them over and over again.

ScottIsAFool

I don't know what it is about the MCU, but they've managed to create something that not only has a universal appeal. 

Kat Dennings FTW! :D

• Like 1

ginjaninja

not sure what that gif is but reminded me of..... Janet? Dr Scott! Janet! Brad? Rocky!

chef

So last night I watched Penguins of Madagascar... it started well... I do love those penguins, they were the only redeeming things in those dreadful Madagascar movies.

Sadly it didn't live up to expectations... The best jokes are in the first 10 mins... One of which actually made me laugh out loud... but then the joke is repeated later on in the movie and I gritted my teeth... The whole plot was just silly... it's a movie about talking animals who can do amazing things, understand technology and act like an elite squad of commandos... and yet the plot seemed silly to me. You know that it has to be bad... really bad for that to happen.

The animation was good, the antagonist wasn't mean or threatening in any way... it's fine for kids... But there isn't anything in it for adults and that's very disappointing. Dreamworks really dropped the ball on this one. They had an opportunity to create a great movie that would appeal to all ages and instead targeted it at the under 10's and didn't bother to include anything for the adults who would be the ones taking them to see it... Silly move Dreamworks, now the next time you try something like that... people won't trust you.

5/10... and trust me, I so wanted to love this movie.

Let's hope the Minions movie doesn't get screwed up this badly.

Oh! The first time I watched it I felt the same way, but my son loves it for some reason. So, I watched it again. I think it deserves more then a five.

John Malcovich is quite entertaining as Dave.

The best line in the movie is when Skipper says:

"Are you questioning my authority and leadership, Private?"

Private: "uh no sir"

Skipper: " oh well that's to bad, I like a soldier with moxy."

Private: "well sir I was going to say...."

Skipper: " whoa, whoa dial back the moxy soldier!"

Hilarious.

It isn't always as funny as you want, but even Benidict Cumberbun... I mean "patch" does a good job with the whole "my name is Classified" thing.

I would say it ranks a 6 or 7 at best.

Edited by chef

jhevener

and here I am watching it on a 40" Samsung series 6 LED and thinking it looks great. But then again it is in my bedroom and I'm not that far away from it... about 2.5 meters. A bigger TV only makes sense if you've got a bigger room for it.

I have a 40' Samsung in the bedroom too but it's 4 meters from the pillows and having a 50" would go a long way for my old eyes. Can't wait to move the 50" Panny up there. The bigger plus would be swapping out the 50' to a nice Samsung 4k 65' curved screen... cha-ching... ouch!

I have a 40' Samsung in the bedroom too but it's 4 meters from the pillows...

WOW!  ;)

jhevener

WOW! ;)

Er, conspicuous consumption... Heh...☺

Hey @@ebr, would like to thank you and the rest of the team right now. As a long time supporter of emby, I'm so glad you guys built this thing up the way you did, piece by piece and in an orderly fashion. Its a great product of creative and fertile minds and I marvel at the work you all have done!

Edited by jhevener
  • Like 1

DigiTM

Insterstella.....great movie, bit slow sometimes but still kept me interested throughout.  Long movie though at 169 minutes.  Another fine movie by Christopher Nolan :) 8/10

• Like 1

Insterstella.....great movie, bit slow sometimes but still kept me interested throughout.  Long movie though at 169 minutes.  Another fine movie by Christopher Nolan :) 8/10

Yes, I enjoyed it but it should have been 164 minutes long instead.

jhevener

Anything that lasts longer than the time it takes for my ass to go to sleep is too long for me. ;)

ScottIsAFool

Technically, unless you watched all the credits, that's exactly how long the film was ;)

chef

I called the ending of Intersellar right from the beginning. But I still enjoyed it.

dark_slayer

I think you might possibly be missing the point of a soundtrack... It's not there to be a catchy theme tune, it's there add to the scene!

You provided a single sentence opinion that you thought it was great and atmospheric. I provided the beginning of a discussion with examples of why I found it to be poor and something that greatly detracted from the overall movie experience for me. Replying that I miss the point of a soundtrack makes me wonder if you read my comment at all

Also, Interstellar is only a brain teaser if it's the first sci fi film you've really watched. Just isn't what it could have been for me, too many unchecked boxes

shaefurr

Anyone watch Monsters Dark continent? I really enjoyed the first one with its excellent soundtrack and cinematography, curious how this one is. I was surprised they did a lot of the special fx in the first one just using adobe premiere,

dark_slayer

Saw   Exodus: Gods and Kings last night.

Save yourself from wasting two and a half hours... it was an utter snoozefest.  I can't quite tell if it was actually seriously telling a biblical story or simply mocking it. The two leads  were dreadful, some of the worst acting I've seen from either. The other so called big name actors in this.. namely Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley had barely more than a few words in the entire thing.... and the depiction of god was so stupid.

In fact... everytime  God was on screen talking... I kept hearing the voice of Ultron talking to the Kree Ronin from Guardians of the Galaxy... I just heard the words Your demeanor is that of a pouty child and you bore me  running through my head every time.

3/10... It does have one positive... It's better than last years laugh fest that was Noah and is actually still a better love story than Twilight.

I agree Heckler.  For a film trying to be such a huge epic, the whole thing was just... flat.  If you want to see a film version of this story, watch "The Ten Commandments" instead.

Okay, saw it last night. I'm sad to say I agree. It does fall into the Biblically-inspired category rather than trying to be completely canonical, but it's much closer to trying to stay canonical than Noah was last year

Really the depiction of God was one of the two utter disappointments. The other one was the overall actor performance/directing. It really did feel flat, emotionless, lifeless. It seemed more like Scott spent a majority of his time with SE teams rather than going through story with the actors. There was so little intensity or ensemble that if it weren't for the obvious splendor of effects, imagery, props, clothing, etc you would think the performances belonged to a sundance feature.

One thing it nailed (IMO) however was personifying the plagues. I've heard the stories, read the stories, seen them in a couple movies, but never "experienced" them the way I was able to in this particular version. Scott really did very well in that regard, I was able to completely immerse in that portion of the movie. It was the diamond in the rough IMO

Heckler

Anything that lasts longer than the time it takes for my ass to go to sleep is too long for me. ;)

Due to my back problems, I struggle through any movie in the cinema regardless of the length.  But they've opened a new 11 screen cinema in Milton Keynes (my old home town) with IMAX, so I plan on going there to see Age Of Ultron, willing to pay a little extra and see if the gallery seating is more comfortable.

• Like 1

z0mbi

Watched it in the imax. My brother in law and cousin loved it. However, I thought it was quite poor, and I'm also a huge Nolan fan

I personally thought of this movie as a cross between the sci-fi of "Event Horizon" with the cinematography of "2001: A Space Odyssey" (minus the decently catching score that Kubrick's film had)

The visuals were just so poor in my opinion with the only redeemers being some of the worlds. On visuals alone, Gravity would be a much better film IMO (though that movie has very little else to offer ;) ). The experience felt a lot like a retro-cinema experience visually, just not up to snuff compared with the visuals in Nolan's other recent work like the dark knight trilogy or inception

For me the only thing more unbearable than the visuals was the score/soundtrack

The only redeemer for the movie in my opinion was (not really a spoiler, but I'll be extra nice so highlight if you want to read) [the depiction of 4th dimension reality], and it's timing couldn't have been better letting me leave the theater without udder disdain

I'll probably still pick up the imax edition blu-ray since enough of my family will enjoy it

I agree with everything you said. I am a huge sci-fi fan and this movie was a massive let-down for me, and the fault lies mainly with the artistic decisions made by the production. The soundtrack was a MASSIVE deterrent to me enjoying this movie. It was over-manipulative emotionally and left me stressed out at the end. They used the soundtrack to the wrong effect. They used it to create a tension that did not exist in the story and cinematography alone and it felt extremely contradictory. On top of that, they never let off the gas. The soundtrack kicks in and ramps up scene after scene after scene of epic rising orchestral tension building, when whats actually on the screen is people talking about what to eat for dinner or why their kid got in trouble at school. I felt like this with Nolan's Batman films, also, and since he got so much praise for the score on them I think he felt like that was the way to go.

Ultimately the movie was simply a mix between 'Contact' and 'Frequency' wrapped in a '2001: Space Odyssey' skin to give it that feeling of artistic haughtiness.

Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it again. I love sci-fi... but the fact that this movie is getting heaps of praise specifically for the soundtrack of all things goes up my butt sideways!

Disclaimer: the above opinions are mine and mine alone and they cannot harm you or alter your perception of the world if you choose not to let them :P

Heckler

Watched  Snowpiercer last night... Kept reading great things about, how it's supposed to be some great sci-fi thinker of a film.

I ended up very disappointed as a result. It kinda reminded me of Zardox in some regards and there's another movie that it reminds of that has an almost identical theme but the name of it eludes me at the moment.  I figured out what was happening to the kids by the halfway point. Some scenes were a little too convenient and only added in to move the plot forward... they made no sense otherwise.

As for the end expositional speech from the trains creator... It felt a little too much like Neo talking to the Architect... boring to watch, boring to listen to and seemed like they only needed it because they'd done such a poor job of telling the story through all that had happened so far.

Maybe the things I had heard about it led me to expect so much more... and because of that, I was only ever going to be disappointed with it.

So in light of that I gave it an extra 2 points... brining it up to 7/10

Edited by Heckler

TolkienBard

not sure what that gif is but reminded me of..... Janet? Dr Scott! Janet! Brad? Rocky!

The Avengers mixed with Shrek, but up, RHPS is what came to mind for me too.

TolkienBard

Usually, I actually enjoy it when movies are a bit longer and take the time necessary to let each and every detail play out. I'm just weirdly wired like that. Despite that, I can see about 10-15 minutes that could have been cut from Interstellar without really harming the final product IMHO. I'm the same way with the Hobbit movies, especially the first one. I really enjoyed them from an entertainment standpoint, but when I take the time to look evaluate them as films, I see things that really aren't working for one reason or another.

Heckler

That's exactly my inspiration for it... To be honest, I wish I had thrown a picture of Frakenfurter in at the end instead of Donkey.

Heckler

I watched  Kill Me Three Times last night, the new Simon Pegg film.

Thoroughly enjoyed it... A good blend of black comedy, with some mild action, a bit of a slow burner thriller thrown into the mix.  Most of the cast were excellent and the plot had more twists and turns than  country road in the lake district (that's a place in the UK with very narrow, windy twisty roads up and down hill/mountain sides.) 

Not going to offer and spoilers... Just watch it and be entertained for a couple of hours..

8/10